Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tarodia
Jan 13, 2008

Winners don't do drugs
I am all in for a chef akatsuki. That's the stupid rear end bullshit I love

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

OnimaruXLR posted:

so is megumi into chicks now

Also I'm really curious as to how this guy's dialog works in Japanese. Something tells me if it's just peppered with katakana that it's nowhere near as amusing as the downright Kawaiikochans-esque dialog the MS release is providing
I picked up the new issue and you are correct, specifically there's a lot of emphasis on the end of his sentences, like 'desu' and such being written in katakana. As far as English goes, his use of 'gorgeous' is completely in English while other instances like his reference to Shokugekis as a 'very good system' and Soma as 'skillful boy' are those exact words but written in katakana, the former of which is pretty funny actually.

It's tough to say what the best way to localize it is, since it just reads like awkwardly emphasized Japanese in the text. Mangastream goes a bit too hard on it while the official release has some interesting word choices sprinkled in but there's no real indication that his Japanese is unnatural. Broken English tends to come off as more racist than the intended message, so I guess I actually do prefer the peppered in Japanese given the character's personality.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
He's a turboweeb already, having him talk like one is perfect localization.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

the best part about him is knowing just enough to know he's usually just repeating the same word in both languages

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

i both absolutely hate and love this character tbh

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

OnimaruXLR posted:

so is megumi into chicks now

That cash bath scene is a fairly common meme in japan, I couldn't find the original but here is the Golden Kamui version:

read Golden Kamui

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Doctor Isosceles posted:

The way I see it, Megumi is going to completely trounce Hot Springs Dark Chef which will serve to release her inner SHOKUGEKI MONSTER. This, unfortunately, will sway her to the Dark Side and the next 50 chapters will have her run roughshod over all the Dark chefs, thus consolidating her power into the Megumin Culinary Dark Empire.

Not being satisified, and unable to quench the Shokugeki flame that has been ignited in her, she will set her sights on Tootsuki. Naturally, she will mercilessly hand everyone their asses ( including Soma and Erina ) until all culinary development globally falls under her sway.

The next 100 chapters will be, obviously, the Megumi Redemption Arc.

I travel to the future, pull out a Shokugeki no Souma volume, and turn to a random page. It is Megumi seated on a throne and holding a whip while surrounded by a harem of beautiful men and using one as a footstool. The footstool is Takumi.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

gently caress 'em up, Megumi

Also these cuisinier noir chucklefucks are hilariously evil.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

mafia kingpin bringing like 10 guys to hire a chef

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Nobody linked the chapter so here it is: https://readms.net/r/shokugeki_no_souma/268/5170/1

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
gently caress him up, megumi

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Shokugeki No Soma Manga discussion: Naruto meets fine dining.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Destroy the weeb with your hospitality, Megumi! :black101::fsn:

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Jerkface posted:

:emptyquote:

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Megumi will put the hospital in hospitality.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Mulderman posted:

:yeah:

I'm super enjoying this, just btw. She didn't even raise her voice. Just quietly, politely, she started cooking.

gently caress him up, Megumi.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Seriously, just look at her.

See the look in her eyes. See the smile-that's-almost-a-smirk. Head the slight menace in her words.

Overall, it all says one thing: "You've come to the wrong neighbourhood, motherfucker."

gently caress him up, Megumi.

Mikl fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jun 22, 2018

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
With a hint of "you really think I'd need to rely on tricks in order to win?"

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Am I reading a Looney Toons skit? Who are these goons? :stare:

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Jerkface posted:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Megumi’s food is gonna make the weeb commit ritual suicide

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Jerkface posted:

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

TheKingofSprings posted:

Megumi’s food is gonna make the weeb commit ritual suicide

he's the king and she just prepared a culinary guillotine

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

SHOKUGEKI NO SOUMA IS A COOKING MANGA

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Mulderman posted:

mods new thread title pls

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

hiddenriverninja posted:

mods new thread title pls

Yeah this

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

The beginning part of the title is really really long, so the second part will have to be shorter.

Doctor Isosceles
Oct 18, 2012

I kind of want to see a crossover with Megumi and Kiyo from Maiko-san Chi no Makanai-san where all they do is chill out and make comfortable food from whatever is in the kitchen.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

That man is about to be food raped. Look at Megumi's eyes.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
I wonder if she ends up basically being Hinako.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

kirtar posted:

I wonder if she ends up basically being Hinako.
Megumi doesn't push Soma's buttons anywhere near enough to get bear-clawed, and Soma, while admiring Shinomiya enough to call him "shishou", is way more open to the idea of suffering fools, which Shino's like "nopenopenopenope".

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Animechat, can someone tell me if the judges' reaction to Soma's soba dish vs Nene (ch 213 in the manga) was also a reference to a movie? Nene's was clearly The Girl Who Leapt Through Time.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Argue posted:

Animechat, can someone tell me if the judges' reaction to Soma's soba dish vs Nene (ch 213 in the manga) was also a reference to a movie? Nene's was clearly The Girl Who Leapt Through Time.

Nene's is still The Girl Who Leapt Through Time. They straight up call it The Soba That Leapt Through Time.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Yeah, I meant Soma's dish. The one that they compared to going through a festival with friends and seeing fireworks and they had this logo that said something like "君のそばの香り" which looked like it was meant to reference something.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Argue posted:

Yeah, I meant Soma's dish. The one that they compared to going through a festival with friends and seeing fireworks and they had this logo that said something like "君のそばの香り" which looked like it was meant to reference something.
I still maintain that it might be a shout-out to Your Name, since it seems like it's referencing the Japanese title. Could be wrong, tho'. 「君の名は」

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
So there are 15 mangas currently ranked this week in Shonen Jump.

The chapter where Erina finally defeats her father and everyone strips in what can only be described as a Hail Mary of fanservice?

It ranked 13th. Ahead of some titty ghost series and a new series I’ve never heard of (Noah’s Notes)

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

TheKingofSprings posted:

So there are 15 mangas currently ranked this week in Shonen Jump.

The chapter where Erina finally defeats her father and everyone strips in what can only be described as a Hail Mary of fanservice?

It ranked 13th. Ahead of some titty ghost series and a new series I’ve never heard of (Noah’s Notes)

doesn't matter anymore we're fighting midnight chefs

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Patware posted:

doesn't matter anymore we're fighting midnight chefs

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

I swear for a moment his hand looked like something else...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
You mean like a penis? Like he had a penis for a left hand? Demitri Penishand?