Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

juggalo baby coffin posted:

i'm extremely bad at this game and will never unlock the cool robot or the bullet character

The robot is hellaciously difficult to unlock (it's "easiest" if you play Pilot and just like... hope for a jetpack or wings imo) but the bullet is just a matter of time. Just make a habit of focusing on the more threatening enemies before you shoot at the basic bullet kin and sooner or later you'll unlock the lil fella.

The robot is by far the hardest to win with and the hardest past to beat anyway. Like I genuinely think unlocking the robot might actually be easier than winning as the robot. The loving attrition is nightmarish, and the a huge proportion of the survivability-improving items just do literally nothing for you, so you can ace the first three floors and then have a hard time with the fourth, and you're basically doomed to a slow death on boss 4 or floor 5 unless the RNG takes mercy and spawns a bunch of armour drops for you.

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Jul 2, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

juggalo baby coffin posted:

i'm extremely bad at this game and will never unlock the cool robot or the bullet character

Fourth floor is as far as I've ever got (once) and I've only ever got the no hit bonus a few times. I've also never seen the throne in Nuclear Throne :( I'm getting old

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.
If you are just starting this game, a general tip is to load up on keys. You want to buy every single key you can, particularly on the early floors. The game has a weird "mechanic" where the shop is guaranteed to sell at least one key if you haven't yet picked up a key on a given floor. This means you should leave any key drops on the ground until you find the shop (don't worry, the rat won't steal them).

Also keep in mind that the game will become easier as you free NPCs and unlock more items that can be found in the dungeon. Focusing on these micro-goals can make the game more rewarding. The only way you'll improve and start to have consistently long runs is through repetition. Learning the various enemy patterns and how everything fits together is key.

I don't think this game is RNG heavy. This maybe used to be the case, but getting keys is much more consistent after the first big update, and ammo drops are also a bit more common. These were the two main issues that made the game feel unfair at launch.

Unlocking the robot and then actually killing his past both seemed impossible to me until I did both of them. He is tough to play, but the battery bullets make certain guns much more useful. If you happen to have a run where you find the crown of guns and also some items that auto-regenerate armor each floor, you can really clean up. You need to play smart with him. He is a glass cannon and mistakes will quickly snowball. Getting the full metal jacket is incredibly useful with him, because it essentially turns blanks into health. As you know, blanks regen each floor. Combine this with the master blank and you got yourself a run goin'.

As far as unlocking the bullet, the red cape guy becomes much more common as you defeat more and more characters' pasts. The devs want you to unlock him. You'll get there eventually. He's my favorite character to play after about 100 hours with this game.

I would really like more content or a sequel. This is one of my favorite games ever.

il serpente cosmico fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jul 2, 2018

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

the only thing i've never managed to do is beat the lich in hell. i have no idea what you're supposed to do to reach him with a reasonable amount of ammo, aside from getting lucky and hoping you find his boss room immediately once you're down there. i can make it down there pretty reliably but i've only ever found him twice, as basically every attempt stalls out due to attrition, going through 20 rooms without finding the boss and slowly running out of ammo and health. the two times i found him i had like a single heart of health left and only a handful of bullets for some crappy guns and didn't really get to learn his patterns.

is there any secret / trick for knowing how to find his boss room? i feel like it'd be almost possible for me to figure out if i knew how to get directly to him.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Freaking Crumbum posted:

the only thing i've never managed to do is beat the lich in hell. i have no idea what you're supposed to do to reach him with a reasonable amount of ammo, aside from getting lucky and hoping you find his boss room immediately once you're down there. i can make it down there pretty reliably but i've only ever found him twice, as basically every attempt stalls out due to attrition, going through 20 rooms without finding the boss and slowly running out of ammo and health. the two times i found him i had like a single heart of health left and only a handful of bullets for some crappy guns and didn't really get to learn his patterns.

is there any secret / trick for knowing how to find his boss room? i feel like it'd be almost possible for me to figure out if i knew how to get directly to him.

I forget how the branching works exactly, but the official wiki explains how the layout of Bullet Hell works. It won't necessarily mean that you'll find him immediately, but it can prevent you from running into too many dead-ends.

In my opinion, if you want to beat the Lich, you should play as the Pilot and plan on going through both secret floors. You need to accumulate as many resources as possible, and having at least 4 additional chests and two additional boss rewards will greatly increase your chances of getting to the Lich. The pilot benefits a lot from lower item costs, the potential to use lock picks, and the the ability to get two active abilities. On my first Lich run, I found the Football which was extremely helpful for clearing out regular rooms in hell and preserving ammo. I also found at least a half dozen very good guns by going through both the secret floors, so I had enough ammo across my various weapons to take him down.

This method is also easier said than done. The Old King is one of the hardest bosses in the game, and even getting Abbey of the True gun can be difficult, given that you need to find the alter on the second floor without taking any damage. Good luck.

Getting lucky and finding clone or the seven leaf clover can also help a ton, but both of them are pretty rare.

il serpente cosmico fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Jul 4, 2018

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

il serpente cosmico posted:

I forget how the branching works exactly, but the official wiki explains how the layout of Bullet Hell works. It won't necessarily mean that you'll find him immediately, but it can prevent you from running into too many dead-ends.

In my opinion, if you want to beat the Lich, you should play as the Pilot and plan on going through both secret floors. You need to accumulate as many resources as possible, and having at least 4 additional chests and two additional boss rewards will greatly increase your chances of getting to the Lich. The pilot benefits a lot from lower item costs, the potential to use lock picks, and the the ability to get two active abilities. On my first Lich run, I found the Football which was extremely helpful for clearing out regular rooms in hell and preserving ammo. I also found at least a half dozen very good guns by going through both the secret floors, so I had enough ammo across my various weapons to take him down.

This method is also easier said than done. The Old King is one of the hardest bosses in the game, and even getting Abbey of the True gun can be difficult, given that you need to find the alter on the second floor without taking any damage. Good luck.

If you luck out and get Clone you will also greatly increase your odds of getting the job done. The seven-leaf clover is also nice.

i've heard that, but i don't know whether or not i'm good enough to play through two extra floors + bosses without it being a wash (basically the "bonus" gear i'd pick up would get burned getting thru the two extra floors). i guess if i managed to find some decent passive upgrade items on those floors then at least i can't waste them.

so far my strategy has been to get gud at using only the basic guns for the first three floors, so that i'm not wasting ammo on enemies that aren't really that dangerous. even with that buffer, all of my latests attempts in bullet hell have ground me down via attrition before i found the boss door.

i do agree that the Pilot is the best overall choice. having double item pockets out the gate is huge, whether or not you keep the lockpicks

Apr 23, 2002
I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. Wait...
honestly i would recommend the oubliette most of the time & the abbey almost never. The oubliette after a couple times is pretty easy if you regularly get to the 3rd or 4th floor, and the boss is the easiest in the game-plus no pressure to be flawless since there is no master round.

the old king is hard as hell and not worth the trouble imo, that fight I 100% walk out in worse shape than I started the floor

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

I don't think this game is RNG heavy. This maybe used to be the case, but getting keys is much more consistent after the first big update, and ammo drops are also a bit more common. These were the two main issues that made the game feel unfair at launch.

I think a lot of the complaints about RNG come from the recent SGDQ run. Beating a game of Gungeon involves surprisingly little RNG, but beating Gungeon in under 30 minutes requires a lot of RNG. That makes it a bad game for speedrunning marathons, since it means the game needs a much larger time slot for that margin of error. If you are good at the game, skills and safe play should allow you to beat any run, but speedrunning is basically risky_strategies.txt.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Unlocking the robot and then actually killing his past both seemed impossible to me until I did both of them. He is tough to play, but the battery bullets make certain guns much more useful. If you happen to have a run where you find the crown of guns and also some items that auto-regenerate armor each floor, you can really clean up. You need to play smart with him. He is a glass cannon and mistakes will quickly snowball. Getting the full metal jacket is incredibly useful with him, because it essentially turns blanks into health. As you know, blanks regen each floor. Combine this with the master blank and you got yourself a run goin'.

For a fun time, get the super soaker on the robot and just use your pistol after soaking everything in sight. Super soaker + electric bullets is ridiculous.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

255 posted:

honestly i would recommend the oubliette most of the time & the abbey almost never. The oubliette after a couple times is pretty easy if you regularly get to the 3rd or 4th floor, and the boss is the easiest in the game-plus no pressure to be flawless since there is no master round.

the old king is hard as hell and not worth the trouble imo, that fight I 100% walk out in worse shape than I started the floor

Yeah, your mileage may vary and my method certainly isn't the only one that works. Old King is one of the toughest fights in the game.

At the end of the day, you'll want to go into bullet hell with as many good guns full of ammo as possible, and if you're going for the Lich, your decisions leading up to bullet hell should inform this.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!

If you luck out and get Clone you will also greatly increase your odds of getting the job done. The seven-leaf clover is also nice.

This is right. I beat the Lich about 50% of the time and the main issue is attrition in bullet hell and how many good items or guns I picked up along the way. Everyone should shoot for clearing both the secret floors unless it means giving up a really good chest for the key cost.

I don't hoard guns most of the time. Some guns are real hell clearers though. Rad Gun can destroy bullet hell, charm bow is great, any magic weapon will do extra work. Some weapons like the P blaster are also very ammo efficient.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

I'm with il serpente cosmico on this one; always going for both special floors was a key factor in allowing me to consistently beat the secret final boss. The health you lose when going through the Abbey can be made up for on the subsequent floors, the items you miss out on if you skip it can't.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
https://twitter.com/DodgeRollGames/status/1014276618179698688

After roughly a year of delays, AG&D is actually, for real, coming soon. Supposedly console certification takes roughly two weeks, they're looking to update on all platforms simultaneously.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

https://twitter.com/DodgeRollGames/status/1014276618179698688

After roughly a year of delays, AG&D is actually, for real, coming soon. Supposedly console certification takes roughly two weeks, they're looking to update on all platforms simultaneously.

gently caress consoles. :smugdog:

Give me my fuckin' AG&D now.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

gently caress consoles. :smugdog:

Give me my fuckin' AG&D now.

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
reinstalled this after that hilarious sgdq run, and i can feel his pain

getting no drops for playing good is a real kick in the teeth, would have runs where the game is telling me to get hosed, then the next run i'm getting ammo three rooms in a row and the lock pick works on every chest

most fun i've had with this game is with a mod to make crates spawn after clearing rooms, and for maximum carnage is each crate has 6 items/guns

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
oh yeah and what the gently caress happened to that dual wielding joke they had at the first devolver e3 conference??? i mean what a cool fuckin feature that totally could be more than just a joke

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Angry Diplomat posted:

The robot is hellaciously difficult to unlock (it's "easiest" if you play Pilot and just like... hope for a jetpack or wings imo) but the bullet is just a matter of time. Just make a habit of focusing on the more threatening enemies before you shoot at the basic bullet kin and sooner or later you'll unlock the lil fella.

The robot is by far the hardest to win with and the hardest past to beat anyway. Like I genuinely think unlocking the robot might actually be easier than winning as the robot. The loving attrition is nightmarish, and the a huge proportion of the survivability-improving items just do literally nothing for you, so you can ace the first three floors and then have a hard time with the fourth, and you're basically doomed to a slow death on boss 4 or floor 5 unless the RNG takes mercy and spawns a bunch of armour drops for you.

If you do lots of high curse runs Robot is really good there. He doesn't take extra damage from jammed enemies like everyone else, he can buy armor easier because of the extra cash, his coolant leak can be used to put out fuses on chests (fuses become more common as curse goes up) and he probably has the best starting DPS of any character thanks to his weapon and coolant which is great for throwing lots of damage on the tougher jammed enemies at the start of the game.

golden bubble posted:

I think a lot of the complaints about RNG come from the recent SGDQ run. Beating a game of Gungeon involves surprisingly little RNG, but beating Gungeon in under 30 minutes requires a lot of RNG. That makes it a bad game for speedrunning marathons, since it means the game needs a much larger time slot for that margin of error. If you are good at the game, skills and safe play should allow you to beat any run, but speedrunning is basically risky_strategies.txt.

TBF, that guy started to choke really hard when things started to go south and made lots of avoidable mistakes.

khwarezm fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jul 5, 2018

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

khwarezm posted:

TBF, that guy started to choke really hard when things started to go south and made lots of avoidable mistakes.

The dude on the couch knew literally nothing about the game too, so the runner was having to both explain the game and concentrate on it. No wonder he made so many mistakes.

The Velvet Witch
Jul 24, 2017

"I don't have a "make better posts" spell, you're on your own."
One of those wizard who can throw your own bullets back at you threw my own loving bees at me and they ate literally all of my health in that one room. I had 6 full hearts.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Booty Pageant posted:

oh yeah and what the gently caress happened to that dual wielding joke they had at the first devolver e3 conference??? i mean what a cool fuckin feature that totally could be more than just a joke

I remember one of the devs saying that they would like to make it an actual feature, but that it turned out to be more difficult than they anticipated. So who knows?

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!

AppleDan posted:

One of those wizard who can throw your own bullets back at you threw my own loving bees at me and they ate literally all of my health in that one room. I had 6 full hearts.

Yep. If a Red Wizard is in the room never shoot homing weapons. Bees, scrambler, tiger, shark, they will ruin you and the only viable escape could be a blank. You should have had one ready though, blanks are for bosses, secret rooms, and real emergencies.

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
i feel another feature that would benefit this game greatly is a fuckin radial menu to pick from the copious ton of guns or in this case, a REVOLVER MENU

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

If you hold down the weapon swap button, you enter bullet time and get a scrolling menu iirc

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Angry Diplomat posted:

If you hold down the weapon swap button, you enter bullet time and get a scrolling menu iirc

yes but also somebody now needs to convince the devs they need a revolver menu

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Finally! I was wondering when we'd hear about the last dlc

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Beat the Lich again last night. I used the pilot but did not dip into the second hidden floor because I forgot to grab the crest, LOL.

The Hyper Light Blaster is OP on any boss that stays stationary (Wall Monger, Dragun, Lich). And Polaris completely destroys regular mobs at Level 3.

I have almost all of the achievements in this game, but somehow I missed a pretty easy one (the one that requires beating a boss with the mail box). I probably haven't come across the mail box in the last 30 hours of gametime. I've unlocked so much stuff that it's going to be hard to find, I think. Plus I usually just destroy brown chests these days.

il serpente cosmico fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jul 6, 2018

The Velvet Witch
Jul 24, 2017

Got my first win last night with Pilot, now I just have to kill a past. The face melter is one of the best fuckin weapons and double vision makes me nutt.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
I recognize the facemelter's merits but I really don't like it. So much visual clutter makes it hard to dodge bullets, I almost always take a hit I otherwise wouldn't have when I used it.

The Velvet Witch
Jul 24, 2017

Mr. Prokosch posted:

I recognize the facemelter's merits but I really don't like it. So much visual clutter makes it hard to dodge bullets, I almost always take a hit I otherwise wouldn't have when I used it.

This is a very valid complaint, but using it and blasting Boston got me my first win so I'm biased

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

I've done everything there is to do except completing a challenge run. I just started attempting them yesterday, and it seems very hard. I loving hate those stupid hammers.

Also, I still haven't come across a glitch chest.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Is there anything at all every inside the barrels and books and stuff or am I wasting my time breaking everything in every room.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Occasionally I've gotten a fairy. It is not happy. No reason to break poo poo besides an achievement.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
https://twitter.com/DodgeRollGames/status/1017496861983301632

New NPC coming in AG&D. You pay her and she gives you an item which has synergy with your gun.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
I'm really looking forward to ag&d. I'm out of everything to do in this game. I'd be happy to pay for an expansion.

Gun synergy npc would do more to make the game easier though. I want more difficulty, or stuff that makes the two difficulty increasers more fun.

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
i'd like an rng that doesn't have alzheimers

oh would you like a powerful single shot weapon?? here have another!!(x5)

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

Mr. Prokosch posted:

I'm really looking forward to ag&d. I'm out of everything to do in this game. I'd be happy to pay for an expansion.

Gun synergy npc would do more to make the game easier though. I want more difficulty, or stuff that makes the two difficulty increasers more fun.

I want something like dredmors no time to grind that reduces floor size but makes the rooms harder. Bigger, harder, faster and more waves per room that requires good clearing to keep up with. Increase ammo/drops to compensate.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Personally I want a Run And Gun mode where everything is like 50% faster and the player, enemies, and bosses all have like 50% less health. Live fast, die hard, and leave a trail of bodies in your wake :black101:

minya
Sep 7, 2004

SUN RA WAS HERE IN HIS ELEMENT
he invited me back for a ride
I started playing this game again after putting it down for at least a year, maybe more. It’s so good, but I’m back to being a total scrub at it.

Back when I first got it I could regularly get to level 4, but the final level always destroyed me. Now I’m dying regularly on levels 1-3.

I’m bad at this game. I’m pretty sure I will never kill any of the pasts, but at least it’s so a lot of fun in the meantime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Angry Diplomat posted:

Personally I want a Run And Gun mode where everything is like 50% faster and the player, enemies, and bosses all have like 50% less health. Live fast, die hard, and leave a trail of bodies in your wake :black101:

tack on a bindable Rambo style yell too