Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stangg
Mar 17, 2009

therattle posted:

I’m still not sure about foie gras. Eat meat, sure, but do try and minimise the cruelty. I totally agree with Bart about eating as much of the animal as possible (at least in theory...). I am not vegetarian but I do think it’s a more ethical path.

This is the decision I recently took as well (a moral dilemma spurred on by research into palm oil), I could never be a vegetarian but I realised that over the years I stopped caring about where meat came from and just got as much of it as possible, now I only source my meat and fish from ethical sources and if I go to a restaurant where I dont know where the meat comes from then I'll order the vegetarian option.

I also hate waste though so if someone else is cooking for me then I'll eat whatever they put in front of me and I'll happily finish off someone elses food if they cant finish it in a restaurant.

Turns out that following this means I generally eat healthier as a nice added benefit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

CommonShore posted:

Sideways step in bean chat - I planted Kentucky Blue Pole Beans in my garden this year. They're the best string beans I've ever had in my life. They're still tender and sweet even when they're like 8" long, and each plant seems to just poo poo out an infinite number of delicious beans. I just ate a platefull of them which I blanched and then sauteed with garden onions and dill.

Try getting some Chinese red noodle/yard long beans. They grow so fast, like 1" a day when in season.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Fo3 posted:

Try getting some Chinese red noodle/yard long beans. They grow so fast, like 1" a day when in season.

Yard long beans are the poo poo. I grew them every year when I had a yard.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

therattle posted:

I’m still not sure about foie gras. Eat meat, sure, but do try and minimise the cruelty. I totally agree with Bart about eating as much of the animal as possible (at least in theory...). I am not vegetarian but I do think it’s a more ethical path.

Supposedly, there are a couple of non-gavage farms, but then you have to worry about exactly where the restaurant sourced it from etc. etc. Definitely a reasonable stance.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

therattle posted:

Foie isn't as cruel as some people want to think. The vegan protestor who was interviewed for local news mumbled something about how foie production "makes the animal's liver swell to TEN TIMES ITS NORMAL SIZE" and I'm all uh...no? The force feeding isn't nearly as horrible as it sounds either - at an ethical foie farm it couldn't even be called forced. Yeah they use a funnel to make it faster, but the person doing the feeding sits on the ground and the ducks all gather around to be fed by hand. Less ethical farms are almost as hellish as PETA videos would have us believe, but the majority of chefs I've talked to believe that kind of treatment leads to a worse product (and therefore won't buy it).

That's not to say it's an idyllic situation and the ducks are 100% happy and healthy on the more-ethical farms. They're fed by the same person every day, because having a different person show up makes them freak out and stress can (thanks to their fatty liver) make them just fall over dead. But they're kept calm and unstressed, which isn't nearly as bad a life as feedlot pork gets. Then there are those weird hippie farms in Spain that make foie with free-roaming ducks and geese, concentrating on providing an environment full of naturally-growing foods that the ducks naturally gorge themselves on during the fall. Those are probably the happiest (and most ethical) foie sources. But even a more-ethical source is a lot better than industrialized mammal farming.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

And I actually still eat vegetarian about half the time, and I don't waste my effort on lovely meat. If anything, my time as a vegetarian taught me to truly care about quality.

Probably half of the meals I cook are vegetarian, because yeah, lovely meat is just not worth it. I'm not as careful about restaurant sourcing as I probably should be, though.

Speaking of unethically sourced meat, Mario Batali's (he's the meat you see) restaurant Carnevino was apparently selling off their stock of prime, dry aged (some of it 10+ months) beef a couple of days ago in preparation for shuttering. It wasn't well advertised, so I didn't find out about it until too late. They were selling it for $10/lb. I am so, so mad I missed it. Some of that meat would sell for $50/lb retail, and a lot of Strip restaurants sell analogous cuts for that much per ounce (or more). I would've picked up a couple of primals and a new chest freezer if I'd known. :(

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Fo3 posted:

these make amazing lacto pickles. you can then mince them up and stir fry with shittons of minced fermented chili, garlic, ginger, and pork mince for a ripyourfaceoff spicy hunan dish.

https://thewoksoflife.com/2018/01/chinese-pickled-long-beans-pork/

https://www.sfchronicle.com/food/article/Recipe-Mama-Ji-s-Pickled-Long-Beans-With-11139503.php

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Jul 25, 2018

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Sure did - it was max romeo. Now whoever is running wigbot 2.0 has it.

And I actually still eat vegetarian about half the time, and I don't waste my effort on lovely meat. If anything, my time as a vegetarian taught me to truly care about quality.

Have your feelings about Costco evolved as well?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

The Midniter posted:

Have your feelings about Costco evolved as well?

What am I gonna do, shop at Sam's club?

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Thinkin about those dogs

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
Well I guess I gotta make a reservation at S&P next month when I’m in Vegas.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
A. What’s wigbot

B. Remind me to effortpost about the animal rights movement sometime when I’m in front of a computer.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

If we didn't play god with animals we wouldn't have basset hounds. That's all you really need to know.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Sweet Custom Van posted:

I know health care is expensive but getting some blood work now is almost certainly cheaper than finding out about liver/kidney disease or metabolic disorders in two years.

I am back in Britain now, so my healthcare is gloriously free! I slightly exaggerated, it’s more like a few glasses of wine: I think it’s mostly having got out of practice since having children.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
Alright! My 18 lbs of beans showed up. Now to make some beans stuff.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

therattle posted:

keep in mind that the anatomy of water fall is a bit different than that of a human. they don't have our strong gag reflex and their livers are designed to become fatty in order to support them during their migratory flights

all the hellish factory farming stuff and basic moral dilemma of killing something for food still apply

https://scienceandfooducla.wordpress.com/2015/02/24/physiology-of-foie-gras/ (i haven't followed up on the cited papers and other sources, so if you're skeptical you might want to keep digging)

edit: i know i guy from czechoslovakia who insisted the way everyone did it back when he was a child was just to prepare the right feed and the geese would gorge themselves, who knows how close that was to real foie gras though. i've read one anecdotal account of a hunter who killed some ducks which had been going to town on a large supply of corn and then prepared their livers. He found it to be richer than normal, but not to the levels you get from force feeding

GhostofJohnMuir fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Jul 26, 2018

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Yakisoba needs peppers. Bell, shishito, anaheim, whatever. It helps everything.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

keep in mind that the anatomy of water fall is a bit different than that of a human. they don't have our strong gag reflex and their livers are designed to become fatty in order to support them during their migratory flights

all the hellish factory farming stuff and basic moral dilemma of killing something for food still apply

https://scienceandfooducla.wordpress.com/2015/02/24/physiology-of-foie-gras/ (i haven't followed up on the cited papers and other sources, so if you're skeptical you might want to keep digging)

edit: i know i guy from czechoslovakia who insisted the way everyone did it back when he was a child was just to prepare the right feed and the geese would gorge themselves, who knows how close that was to real foie gras though. i've read one anecdotal account of a hunter who killed some ducks which had been going to town on a large supply of corn and then prepared their livers. He found it to be richer than normal, but not to the levels you get from force feeding

The best foie gras I ever had was the liver of a turkey raised by the local 4H - that free range non forced liver was so rich as to be basically butter. So good.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Alright! My 18 lbs of beans showed up. Now to make some beans stuff.

They're really good. I made that autumn lentil mix tonight and it was great.

Gonna turn some of these black beans into refritos this weekend.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

I don't like liver so I've never had foie gras, and consequently have not done any research into it. However, I have no doubt that ethically-made foie is better than factory-farmed other meat. I don't eat meat that often and when i do I tend to be careful about where it comes from. For instance, I almost never eat chicken when I am eating out.

Those PETA protestors sound like assholes and idiots.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Foie is too rich. Maybe if it was served in thimble sized cups, ok, but most French restaurants dole it out in far too large portions.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

GrAviTy84 posted:

these make amazing lacto pickles. you can then mince them up and stir fry with shittons of minced fermented chili, garlic, ginger, and pork mince for a ripyourfaceoff spicy hunan dish.

https://www.sfchronicle.com/food/article/Recipe-Mama-Ji-s-Pickled-Long-Beans-With-11139503.php

I've never grown green yard long beans, what's the difference between them - in terms of flavour and origin - compared the the 'Chinese' red beans?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

My wife and I have become slightly obsessed with okonomiyaki, but no place around here offers it so we're going to make our own. Any tips on making it? Also, based on what we've seen of its preparation, she's more interested in the mixed Osaka style, whereas I'm more interested in the layered Hiroshima style. Is one easier/better than the other?

Wanna get my pancake on.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

They're both delicious make both

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

The Midniter posted:

My wife and I have become slightly obsessed with okonomiyaki, but no place around here offers it so we're going to make our own. Any tips on making it? Also, based on what we've seen of its preparation, she's more interested in the mixed Osaka style, whereas I'm more interested in the layered Hiroshima style. Is one easier/better than the other?

Wanna get my pancake on.

This is one of those dishes, where I've never had it the same way twice. Obviously, lots of regional variations too... I think Oshinbo looked at this once? I'll look it up.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Fo3 posted:

I've never grown green yard long beans, what's the difference between them - in terms of flavour and origin - compared the the 'Chinese' red beans?

I can't say I've ever tasted them side by side to note the difference and nothing really stands out to me. Probably a pretty nuanced difference, like the difference between a reddish tinged leaf lettuce and a green leaf lettuce.

The Midniter posted:

Wanna get my pancake on.

Theyre all great, but yeah, it's kind of one of those things, like an American "mess plate" breakfast, everyone kind of has their own spin so you're not going to really see the same one very often. That said, Hiroshima style is known for being tedious just because it's basically like making a crepe then putting a slaw on top then put some stir fried noodles and then flip it all onto an omelette. I like the fluffy pancake clusterfuck one personally, idk if that's a specific style but the one with the crosshatched kewpie on top after a worcestershire/soy/sweet shellacking.

Mr_Roke
Jan 1, 2014

Discendo Vox posted:

B. Remind me to effortpost about the animal rights movement sometime when I’m in front of a computer.

Less than 24 hours might be too soon, but I'm looking forward to this.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Fo3 posted:

They're different cultivars of the same species, Vigna unguiculata. There's little appreciable difference between red and green varieties apart from the colour. Like you can find cultivars that are different from each other, but random a red and a green cultivar aren't likely to be any more different from each other than two different green cultivars are, for example.

The green varieties are common throughout all of southern Asia, while the red varieties are specifically southern Chinese, or are derivatives of cultivars which were originally from southern China (a lot of online specialty seed places seem to have developed their own).

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Squashy Nipples posted:

This is one of those dishes, where I've never had it the same way twice. Obviously, lots of regional variations too... I think Oshinbo looked at this once? I'll look it up.

Hell yeah. I could live on nothing but savory pancakes. Gimme some okonomiyaki, mu shu, hoi an, scallion pancakes with or without millet, and whatever this is every day.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Chickpeas are yummy, the ex used to make awesome chickpea flatbread out of chickpea flour.

The last time I had okonomiyaki was at this Korean chicken place in Boston, and it was awesome. Topped with lots of roe.
http://www.cravemadforchicken.com/

Note that my friends generally agree that this place has the best chicken in town.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

GrAviTy84 posted:

Entirely different prep, but every summer, I do long beans braised with tomatoes from Serious Eats: https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2015/07/braised-long-beans-tomato-garlic-recipe.html

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Squashy Nipples posted:

Chickpeas are yummy, the ex used to make awesome chickpea flatbread out of chickpea flour.

The last time I had okonomiyaki was at this Korean chicken place in Boston, and it was awesome. Topped with lots of roe.
http://www.cravemadforchicken.com/

Note that my friends generally agree that this place has the best chicken in town.

Yeah! My wife loves making socca. Insanely easy and pretty good. She likes them more than I do.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
So I got a free new foodsaver system. Why do I want this? I want to eventually do sous vide so I guess this is like half of that set up but is this really that handy? Man does it take up a lot of space.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.
Pretty good for storing weed if you want to cut down on the smell.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Croatoan posted:

So I got a free new foodsaver system. Why do I want this? I want to eventually do sous vide so I guess this is like half of that set up but is this really that handy? Man does it take up a lot of space.

I find myself sucking the air out of ziplock bags in the fridge just to save space. Also supposedly mitigates freezer burn.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Works great for meat. Bulk buy large cuts, break them down yourself into meal size portions, seal. Great when you can get whole turkeys cheap, or giant roasts after holidays. A 8 pound turkey makes a lot of meals, and gives you a lot of options.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Suspect Bucket posted:

Works great for meat. Bulk buy large cuts, break them down yourself into meal size portions, seal. Great when you can get whole turkeys cheap, or giant roasts after holidays. A 8 pound turkey makes a lot of meals, and gives you a lot of options.
It also works for freezing leftovers. Whenever I smoke a brisket I'll slice and portion out the leftovers and bag 'em that way for freezing. Reheat by taking a bag from the freezer and throwing it into the puddle machine. Comes out about 90% as good as straight out of the smoker (main noticeable difference being slightly softer bark).

Also fresh veg from the garden.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I have less time than I planned, so here's the short version and let me know if you'd like a slightly longer version with sources. My knowledge is principally from research areas, I'm afraid.

Sort of like how there are abortion clinics and "pregnancy crisis clinics", there are animal welfare groups and animal rights groups. Animal welfare groups are sane and effective. Animal rights groups generally are not. Note these terms aren't regulated or anything, so your experience may vary.

Most of the major animal rights movement functions as a combination pyramid scheme and organized crime racket. While there's plenty of true believers throughout the movement, for many groups, the leadership tend to make a suspicious amount of donated funds disappear. The constant pressure to draw new recruits, sustain outrage, evade the law, and get donations, has driven these groups to do all sorts of other deeply underhanded poo poo. In no particular order:
  • Fundraising to divert animals from animal auctions(mind you, these are not animals that would die or be harmed), pocketing excess proceeds.
  • Staging/falsifying harms to animals, both as a fundraising and as an advocacy move. The classic example here is from the anti-abortion playbook- break into a research lab, rearrange the equipment and sacrificed animals, take photos, post to internet.
  • Hiring hacker groups to attack animal research labs.
  • Oh, yeah, and bombs. They're still doing bombs against research labs (and car bombs targeting researchers), there's just a general policy of not reporting on them because it's what the groups want. People aren't usually killed, but that's mostly because security's gotten so tight. The infamous example is threats against airlines that transport monkeys for research- this has crippled a whole bunch of programs, because only Air France will still move primates internationally.

There's genuine abuse of animals in the US, of course, in food processing and in the pet trade (domestically, at least, the feds have resolved animal welfare in research pretty well). Animal welfare organizations are the groups that actually work on these issues, and they tend to be populated by people who work in these areas and industries, because they're not sociopaths, and they like the animals they are working with.

Animal rights groups, like PETA, ultimately aren't in it for that. Whatever their original goals were, they're now principally organizations that exist to continue existing, on a constant churn of outrage, volunteers and money. I used to find their fliers trying to target undergraduates at my university, so I'd take a class to teach their rhetorical techniques.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jul 26, 2018

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Discendo Vox posted:

Oh, yeah, and bombs. They're still doing bombs against research labs (and car bombs targeting researchers), there's just a general policy of not reporting on them because it's what the groups want. People aren't usually killed, but that's mostly because security's gotten so tight. The infamous example is threats against airlines that transport monkeys for research- this has crippled a whole bunch of programs, because only Air France will still move primates internationally.

if i recall correctly the people doing this kind of stuff have a real knack for accidently targeting the wrong address

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.

SubG posted:

Also fresh veg from the garden.

Huh, I've never tried this before. Is it as simple as just throwing the veg in a bag and vacuum sealing it? Do you usually toss it in the fridge or freezer afterward?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Mikey Purp posted:

Huh, I've never tried this before. Is it as simple as just throwing the veg in a bag and vacuum sealing it? Do you usually toss it in the fridge or freezer afterward?
Freezer. Most fresh veg wants to be washed and blanched before freezing. Some want additional prep (shelling peas, for example). Really depends on the veg. Like any kind of food preservation you can find exhaustive guides on the internet.

I also generally only do this for poo poo that'll end up getting cooked in some way because there's always some degradation of quality, but for e.g. something you're going to stir-fry or whatever it won't be particularly noticeable---fresh peppers, beans, that kind of thing. I pretty much always end up freezing a shitload of bitter melon because they're so productive I can never go through 'em as fast as the vines produce 'em.