Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I mean...before you even get into that, you should look extremely loving hard at players not being paid at all at every single level of feeder-league for the NFL, which is a much more system problem than Trump's brainworms calling for this type of poo poo

The NFL doesn't have feeder leagues. It uses universities, which don't pay their players but also aren't set up the same way that soccer and baseball are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

They probably should just go to feeder leagues. Let's get rid of the pretense that there's anything academic going on here and rid ourselves of the malignant tumor that is college football.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017

Casimir Radon posted:

They probably should just go to feeder leagues. Let's get rid of the pretense that there's anything academic going on here and rid ourselves of the malignant tumor that is college football.

:hai:

Idk why every aspect of life has to subsidize loving football

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

mods changed my name posted:

Well if the libs hadn’t banned Mandinka fighting then we would have had so many other ways to watch black men beat the poo poo out each other for our amusement.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

mods changed my name posted:

'MURICA

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
re: Nancy Pelosi

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1028030912095838208

I don't even know what this means

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Casimir Radon posted:

They tried NFL Europe I guess

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

He's being sarcastic.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Well if the libs hadn’t banned Mandinka fighting then we would have had so many other ways to watch black men beat the poo poo out each other for our amusement.

have you ever been so woke you forgot about segregation in sports

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

-1 dimensional chess

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Making fun of her for a few things:

Being a “centrist” democrat
3 lost elections
Also mocking those who want to shift democrats left
Probably more

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
2^2 dimensional chess. He’s trying to convince democrats not to vote for her but at the same time vote for her so she continues doing a bad job and also appealing to his base SAD....

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

mlmp08 posted:

Business guy mad that a lot of revenue goes to employees, news at 11.

He's more of a bankruptcy guy or a pissness guy than a business guy

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Pelosi isn't bad, but dems need someone in leadership that can appear to be relatable to average americans.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Woof Blitzer posted:

Good thing we sold Turkey F-35s.

We didn't just sell it to them...they're literally building F-35s.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Godholio posted:

nuke em or lose em 2018

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Godholio posted:

lol

"uhh check check this is goonbird, my rio's telling me these jdams aren't accepting non-civilian targets, confirm?"

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

Godholio posted:

That seems like a wonderfully bad idea in hindsight. This is the list of bits they make. Doesn't look like there's anything particularly "interesting" there, but it's not a small amount of basic stuff.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

EBB posted:

If we end up with a no-poo poo moon base out of this administration I will be very conflicted.

In fact: if we end up with a moon base by 2024, I will no poo poo eat the MAGA hat one of you sent me for Christmas. No Abe cop outs with a fruit hat, I will eat the made-in-China cloth MAGA hat. :toxx:

Considering both capsule programs are expected to fly their first manned missions in 2019, you're probably safe.

Casimir Radon posted:

The problem is football players usually can't physically hold up as long as in other sports. Three years in the minors cuts the average wide receiver's career IN HALF. The average career length for WRs who actually get signed after being drafted is 6 years; overall it's like 3 years.

Edit:

Hexyflexy posted:

That seems like a wonderfully bad idea in hindsight. This is the list of bits they make. Doesn't look like there's anything particularly "interesting" there, but it's not a small amount of basic stuff.

Seriously? The revolutionary EO/IR poo poo it's supposed to have, major airframe components, exterior composites, engine components and sustainment (which means Europe's engine depot work...rebuilding cores).

Godholio fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Aug 11, 2018

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Big K of Justice posted:

Should be interesting to watch.

However... it's important to note that West Hollywood is *NOT* Hollywood. That'll be like Denver having a vote on whatever or not someone should or should not have a star on the walk of fame would carry as much weight.

West Hollywood is the cool Hollywood. North Hollywood is also cool

EBB posted:

If we end up with a no-poo poo moon base out of this administration I will be very conflicted.

In fact: if we end up with a moon base by 2024, I will no poo poo eat the MAGA hat one of you sent me for Christmas. No Abe cop outs with a fruit hat, I will eat the made-in-China cloth MAGA hat. :toxx:

We should probably let you eat it one piece at a time over the course of the year so you don't need GI tract surgery thanks to TRMUP

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

M_Gargantua posted:

West Hollywood is the cool Hollywood. North Hollywood is also cool

We should probably let you eat it one piece at a time over the course of the year so you don't need GI tract surgery thanks to TRMUP

As someone who investigates financial crimes North Hollywood is not at all cool

It's been a running joke at work that if one of these fires hits Glendale lenders are gonna lose 4x the number of houses the deed rolls do.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

Godholio posted:

Seriously? The revolutionary EO/IR poo poo it's supposed to have, major airframe components, exterior composites, engine components and sustainment (which means Europe's engine depot work...rebuilding cores).

I was imagining it was largely system integration of components from elsewhere, 12 billion is not a huge amount of money compared to the project cost.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Godholio posted:

The problem is football players usually can't physically hold up as long as in other sports. Three years in the minors cuts the average wide receiver's career IN HALF. The average career length for WRs who actually get signed after being drafted is 6 years; overall it's like 3 years.
I don't care about their problems. I just don't want them continuing to gently caress up American universities.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Casimir Radon posted:

I don't care about their problems. I just don't want them continuing to gently caress up American universities.

Why do you think they gently caress up universities?

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

M_Gargantua posted:

Heavy duty blender + meatloaf fixins + :chud: hat = I'll eat it over the course of a few days and worry about the cancer later

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
Make a Trump steak- get a cheap cut of beef, burn it to a crisp and slather it in ketchup and the maga hat shreds.

Also I bet there will be no physical fitness requirements to get in- Trump will want to be the first to enter the service and no way he clears a medical exam.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Casimir Radon posted:

Football isn't forever and the free ride an athlete gets can give the athlete a chance at a productive life. Athletic scholarships open doors for many low income kids and give many people an opportunity to experience college who never could. There are def things that need to be fixed about the system but I wholeheartedly believe it's a net positive for society and the individual athlete.

Also college football is the reason most of your extra curriculars and women's sports exist.

E: WRS do not have an average career of six years idk where your getting your numbers.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
On one hand football gives a lot of under privileged kids a chance at life on the other hand I can't agree with the concept that people should feel like the only way to better their lot in life is to develop holes in their brain for our amusement.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I’ve never actually seen the numbers that show how college sports fund everything else at the school

Do schools make that public?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Waroduce posted:

Football isn't forever and the free ride an athlete gets can give the athlete a chance at a productive life. Athletic scholarships open doors for many low income kids and give many people an opportunity to experience college who never could. There are def things that need to be fixed about the system but I wholeheartedly believe it's a net positive for society and the individual athlete.

Also college football is the reason most of your extra curriculars and women's sports exist.

E: WRS do not have an average career of six years idk where your getting your numbers.

And yet its still a massive drain on academic finances and a disgusting waste, so the benefits College Football brought don't really justify it.
Sorry.

Fallom posted:

I’ve never actually seen the numbers that show how college sports fund everything else at the school

Because they don't exist. Most of the funds college sports bring in get redirected BACK into the Athletics department.

https://themillions.com/2015/01/why-big-time-college-football-sucks.html

College football is a scam and regularly puts colleges into debt.

quote:

Kristi Dosh, a lawyer who specializes in sports financing and who runs the blog businessofcollegesports.com, has analyzed how much sports other than football and men's basketball siphon off. Most of the time, she has found, the cost of other sports more than outweighs the net gain from football and basketball, and the losses can be huge even before adding in big variables such as coaches' salaries, aid to student athletes and recruiting.

Take the University of Florida. During the 2009-2010 school year it raked in $44 million from football and $2 million from men's basketball—but lost $2.8 million on women's basketball, $5.3 million on other men's sports, and $10 million on other women's sports. And that's before you include the cost of coaches' salaries ($17.4 million), aid to student athletes ($7.5 million), and recruiting ($1.4 million).

Students regularly pay $1,000 a year in Athletics fees, but rarely net any benefits from it. If the programs paid for themselves, these fees wouldn't exist.

quote:

Most college athletic departments are a net drain on the budget. Three years ago, the NCAA issued a report that found most athletic departments operate in the red. A more recent analysis by Bloomberg found the same thing: 46 of the 53 schools it looked at subsidized their sports programs. The money usually comes from sources such as student activity fees, such as that charged at Virginia Commonwealth University. Earlier this year VCU jacked up its fee by $50 to help fund the Rams basketball program.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Aug 11, 2018

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Fallom posted:

I've heard they cook the books to make it look that way. It's really hosed up that the highest paid federal employee is the head coach at the Naval Academy, and he's making a few times what the POTUS makes.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
The poster child for why college should not be the NFL's minor league is probably my alma mater, Eastern Michigan University, which has an awful team that nobody likes that the university continues to shovel money at. gently caress, when people complained about the money athletics programs cost students earlier this year, the university had the loving gall to cut other programs like wrestling that actually were successful, and pretended that they were trying to address the problem.

Motherfuckers.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Yeah its better than nothing. But imagine if we replaced sacrificing your body to TBI and torn ligaments with a national education system thats fair to the impoverished. Makes you think :hmmyes:

Also my school pours a ton of money into football and basketball and basketball may actually break even but lol gently caress your taxpayer dollars

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
The Departments that usually see the cuts are Science and Liberal Arts. Cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Eej posted:

On one hand football gives a lot of under privileged kids a chance at life on the other hand I can't agree with the concept that people should feel like the only way to better their lot in life is to develop holes in their brain for our amusement.

:yeah:

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Casimir Radon posted:

I've heard they cook the books to make it look that way. It's really hosed up that the highest paid federal employee is the head coach at the Naval Academy, and he's making a few times what the POTUS makes.

The highest paid public employee in almost every state is a college football coach :d2a:

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
:siren: SOMEONE STOLE A PLANE AT SEA-TAC :siren:

https://twitter.com/i/moments/1028120810374881282

https://twitter.com/TwitterMoments/status/1028124530181464065

Audio feed here if you can get it working (grounding order basically over now): https://www.broadcastify.com/listen/feed/15227/web

https://twitter.com/Bensign/status/1028115110210953216

https://twitter.com/Aviation_Intel/status/1028123913090260993

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Aug 11, 2018

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Sounds like the plane may have crashed.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

If he hasn't crashed that guy's getting shot down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Well rip that guy!

https://twitter.com/mckenna_brown/status/1028126845860896768

• Locked thread