Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.
Talking about places you're not supposed to see reminded me of Newman's Landing in WoW.

For those who don't know it is (was?) just a little wooden building with a few humanoid bones inside and a dock outside. The odd thing about it was that it seemed to have no reason to exist, but you didn't have to do any boundary breaking tricks to get there unlike other unfinished areas. There weren't any NPCs there* and it was in a part of the world you wouldn't naturally come across and was tedious and pointless to get to (Along the coast between Westfall and Dun Morogh).

I found it by chance in the days before flying mounts so it was a long boring walk to get there with nothing to interact with along the way. I suppose the bones are what made it creepy although something dark had happened there. I always suspected there to be some lore based around it but as far as I know nothing has ever come up.

*I think they patched in a couple of goblin guards on the docks after a few years but I don't think you could interact with them in any way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

NonsenseWords posted:

When you explore the Museum there are a few doors that lead outside, but the exterior of the Museum is just an endless void with a few scrapped space monsters flying around and a few platforms that allow you to take a few steps outside before plummeting to your death. These areas are a little eerie in that, because you're outside of the 'office', the ambient music present in the rest of the Museum cuts off, leaving you standing on a blank white platform staring off into a silent void (a very stark contrast to the feel of the interior). One of these doors leads to an area with a little more space to wander around, including a conspicuous platform extension. Sometimes, Dan Johnson will be here, looking toward the sky.

Sometimes, there's nothing but an empty platform, and silence.

I don't know if there's some kind of trigger to get Dan to show up or what; I've visited the Museum multiple times and only seen him here twice. My first trip into the Museum he was here and I thought it was a sweet little tribute, but return trips where he's just gone is a little hard to describe. It's not spooky or anything, just... kind of sad.

Reminds me of Undertale's Goner Kid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0W1DfElgUZI

One of those things that only has a fairly small chance to show up, and even then you have to know to go find it.

(The rest of the Gaster-related NPCs do as well, but given that this guy is standing on a pier staring off into a blank black void...)

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

Tea Bone posted:

Talking about places you're not supposed to see reminded me of Newman's Landing in WoW.

For those who don't know it is (was?) just a little wooden building with a few humanoid bones inside and a dock outside. The odd thing about it was that it seemed to have no reason to exist, but you didn't have to do any boundary breaking tricks to get there unlike other unfinished areas. There weren't any NPCs there* and it was in a part of the world you wouldn't naturally come across and was tedious and pointless to get to (Along the coast between Westfall and Dun Morogh).

I found it by chance in the days before flying mounts so it was a long boring walk to get there with nothing to interact with along the way. I suppose the bones are what made it creepy although something dark had happened there. I always suspected there to be some lore based around it but as far as I know nothing has ever come up.

*I think they patched in a couple of goblin guards on the docks after a few years but I don't think you could interact with them in any way.

I loved Newman's landing and would regularly hang out there alone. It created a fantastic feeling of isolation.

It wasn't just a pair of goblin guards that were added, though. There was a single Goblin NPC with an 8-hour respawn timer behind them who was the only way to grind one of the game's reputations to a certain level.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Tea Bone posted:

Newman's Landing in WoW.

Iirc, Newman's Landing is the location where the game temporarily dumps Alliance Eastern Kingdoms characters. They exist there for a second, then become a camera for their races intro cinematic, then get plopped in their starting zone proper. Thus it's a New Man's Landing.

It adds to the creepiness because (again, iirc), sit there long enough and you'll see characters appear for a nanosecond before fading away, like ghosts.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

I used to hang out in Newman’s Landing as well. Never caught characters spawning in and this was before the goblin npc, but I liked the old mystery of the place. One of the skeletons had an axe embedded in the skull. It felt like there was a murder where the other party didn’t make it either somehow and both parties were left to rot. I remember finding it by chance on my Druid main because of the quest to earn your swimming form. The area of the map was much further south but I hadn’t been in that area yet and didn’t want to walk, so I swam all the way down the coast until I ran into that lowbie human area with the farms and the pirate dungeon.

There was a similar area on Kalimdoor that was Tauren-themed but didn’t have the same creepiness, as well as an elvish one....gosh, was it north in the EK? It’s been too long. I miss walljumping :smith:

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.

MisterBibs posted:

Iirc, Newman's Landing is the location where the game temporarily dumps Alliance Eastern Kingdoms characters. They exist there for a second, then become a camera for their races intro cinematic, then get plopped in their starting zone proper. Thus it's a New Man's Landing.

It adds to the creepiness because (again, iirc), sit there long enough and you'll see characters appear for a nanosecond before fading away, like ghosts.

Was it ever confirmed that it was where new characters were generated? I remember after reading that theory I took my main there while my friend created a character to see if we could see it spawning, but nothing happened (at least for us).

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
it kind of sounds like just they came up with a stellar pun on "no man's land" and built an area around it

Dremcon
Sep 25, 2007
No, not a convention.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

I used to hang out in Newman’s Landing as well. Never caught characters spawning in and this was before the goblin npc, but I liked the old mystery of the place. One of the skeletons had an axe embedded in the skull. It felt like there was a murder where the other party didn’t make it either somehow and both parties were left to rot. I remember finding it by chance on my Druid main because of the quest to earn your swimming form. The area of the map was much further south but I hadn’t been in that area yet and didn’t want to walk, so I swam all the way down the coast until I ran into that lowbie human area with the farms and the pirate dungeon.

There was a similar area on Kalimdoor that was Tauren-themed but didn’t have the same creepiness, as well as an elvish one....gosh, was it north in the EK? It’s been too long. I miss walljumping :smith:

About a week before Cataclysm launched I figured out that by casting Levitate you could actually walk along a completely vertical wall. The great thing was that if you found a slope you could walk it up and Levitate meant, as long as you kept walking into the wall in some way, you would never fall off. I explored all of EK and a lot of Kalimdor that way; I'd find a mountain area with some slopes, cast Levitate, then walk into the slope. Once I hit a patch where I couldn't walk up anymore I'd start angling to the left or right and I'd gradually make my way all the way to the top.

Mostly everything at the top was a flat plane, unless flight paths flew over it. But sometimes I'd find huge pits, almost like the world designers didn't use their 'fill tool' completely. I was hoping to find a similar 'Newman's Landing' but other than exploring places like the dancing troll village and a few mines that you could only see but never get to, I didn't find anything really that noteworthy.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Dremcon posted:

About a week before Cataclysm launched I figured out that by casting Levitate you could actually walk along a completely vertical wall. The great thing was that if you found a slope you could walk it up and Levitate meant, as long as you kept walking into the wall in some way, you would never fall off. I explored all of EK and a lot of Kalimdor that way; I'd find a mountain area with some slopes, cast Levitate, then walk into the slope. Once I hit a patch where I couldn't walk up anymore I'd start angling to the left or right and I'd gradually make my way all the way to the top.

Mostly everything at the top was a flat plane, unless flight paths flew over it. But sometimes I'd find huge pits, almost like the world designers didn't use their 'fill tool' completely. I was hoping to find a similar 'Newman's Landing' but other than exploring places like the dancing troll village and a few mines that you could only see but never get to, I didn't find anything really that noteworthy.

There was Pandaria.

I mean, it was an endless crater in the EK, right around where the entrance to the Blood Elf area is, basically the "forgot their fill tool" thing, but if you actually managed to finagle your way in there the zone named changed to "Pandaria". No idea if it was an Easter Egg or if they had plans at some point to put it there before they decided on making it a continent.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

I did a lot of exploring around where I shouldn't have been in early WoW. Forever sad that they removed the wallwalking exploit. Once managed to scale the mountains around redridge and get into the empty spot on the map north of there, east of the burning steppes/searing gorge area. It was pretty much just a flat plane with repeating red dirt textures. Think I ended up falling in one of those aforementioned deep pits. I've always assumed (with no real knowledge of how they make their maps) that they designed the basic level geometry with a black and white topographical map sort of system. At least I know some old terrain generation programs would do things that way. It allows you to easily paint the map in 2d. The grey scales would be your depth information, and then you just feed it into your rendering program and it spits back 3d hills. An inexplicable deep pit out of nowhere would be the developer accidentally clicking a solid black dot on the map, and the program interpreting that black dot on white space as 'put a pit of maximum depth here'

Also the newman's landing new character thing I'm pretty sure is just a completely made up idea based on the name. It was a kind of creepy little spot, though, back in the early days. You had to go way out of your way to find it, because it was not all that near any zone that touched the ocean, so it required slowly swimming along the outside of the continent for like 5 or 10 minutes to even get there. I think it might still exist, but now it's right next to the stormwind docks, so it's hardly the remote isolated spot it once was.

My biggest success in wallwalking was getting over the scarab wall in one of the early 1.x patches well before Ahn Qiraj unlocked. For the random person reading this who never played WoW, a brief explanation: At the south end of one of WoW's continents is a desert zone called Silithus. When the game launched, this was a clearly unfinished zone. Even getting to it took a while, because the nearest flight point was two zones away. There were no quests here, and early on there weren't even any enemies. It was just a big, empty desert with occasional creepy bug caverns. At the south end of this zone was a giant wall across the desert. A few patches later this would eventually become a pair of raids, but in the early days it was just a big mystery.

So I managed to find an angle from the hills to the side of the wall that allowed me to get on it and over it to the far side. I was sort of expecting just a flat plane, which would make sense. All the dungeons and raids in the game are instanced, so you go through a portal to get to them and are moved to the separate map that is where the real dungeon is located. In the actual game world, the most you might have is a bit of decoration intended to be seen through the portal, and nothing beyond that. But for whatever strange reason, I found that part of the raid was actually located in the world map. Those familiar with AQ know that most of it (the 40 player raid at least) is underground, and that's what I found. The outside temple stuff hadn't been built yet, but there was a cave opening just stuck in the desert. It had all the bug-like silithid decorations, the weird twitching spikes and drip-like glowing bulbs for lighting, and so on. If I recall right, I think all the zone music stopped playing once I left the zone proper, but the caves still had the occasional chittering squishy bug noises. Also they were huuuuuuuge. The raid proper actually dropped bug mounts for players to use inside it, because it was such a long trek from one end to the other. So, yeah, you want to talk about a feeling of trespassing in a big empty place where you're not meant to be, it was there. I think I finally gave up and teleported out of there because it just seemed to go on forever and was pretty unnerving. I guess I should be glad that the C'thun whispers weren't implemented already. (While doing the real raid, sometimes the final boss, which is a Lovecraft knockoff old god, will occasionally whisper you creepy things.) Combined with the lonely feeling of being way off the map and trespassing in alien bug caves, if I'd suddenly gotten a voice clip of 'You... will... die' out of nowhere, I might have needed new pants.

I tried to go back a patch or so later, but the entrance had been sort of 'filled in'. The level geometry of the desert had been extended through it, so while I could still see part of the cave entrance, and even see a bit into it if I angled my camera right, there was no way to get back through.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
It may have seemed to go on forever because I think the underground part of AQ40 is literally a circle.

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

BobTheJanitor posted:

[Neat story]
So what was it like when you actually went there for the first time in the real game? Was it like going back to see it and getting the satisfaction of seeing what it was for, or was it kinda a downer since it didn't live up to your brain's made-up terror?

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Gloomy Rube posted:

So what was it like when you actually went there for the first time in the real game? Was it like going back to see it and getting the satisfaction of seeing what it was for, or was it kinda a downer since it didn't live up to your brain's made-up terror?

Not nearly as spooky, unfortunately. Once it's all filled up with enemies every five feet and you're there with 40 people on voice chat it's pretty hard to get any feeling of isolation. But I guess it was kind of satisfying to be able to compare to what I saw and confirm that it really was an early in-progress version that I'd managed to break in to before.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Shame there was no music at that point, because it would have really enhanced things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCLJjV3Ewpc

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

BobTheJanitor posted:

WOW exploring

I did a ton of exploring too with the wall walking glitch, it was a ton of fun.

The coolest place I ever went though was the caverns of time back in vanilla. It was awesome and full of old buildings that looked like they'd been warped in and stranded with a fantastic starry skybox.

It's a shame that what we ultimately got was extremely lame in comparison, they didn't even keep the starry skybox or the giant hourglass and stuff!

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Elvis_Maximus posted:

I did a ton of exploring too with the wall walking glitch, it was a ton of fun.

The coolest place I ever went though was the caverns of time back in vanilla. It was awesome and full of old buildings that looked like they'd been warped in and stranded with a fantastic starry skybox.

It's a shame that what we ultimately got was extremely lame in comparison, they didn't even keep the starry skybox or the giant hourglass and stuff!

:confused: there's definitely a unique skybox and a giant hourglass down in the caverns of time

NonsenseWords
Feb 17, 2011
Forgive my interrupting the WoW conversation, but I recently stumbled on something that I found to be pretty intriguing (and a little spooky).

I never played Saint's Row II, myself, but being a big open world city inspired by GTA, it's rife with its own rumors, including one that's straight out of a bad creepypasta.

The game has a mode called Zombie Uprising, where your character and their homies are given a specific environment and attacked by waves of various types of zombie NPCs. You're supposed to remain within the confines of the map, which is surrounded by buildings to prevent you from leaving, but it's possible through use of a number of cheat codes (provided by the game itself) and careful maneuvering to use grenades to launch yourself out of the zone. If you die at this point, the game gets confused, and instead of respawning you within the Uprising map, you wind up outside of a tattoo parlor on the other side of town, and you're free to explore the environment.

Because the game isn't supposed to be in this state, you'll find a number of anomalous occurrences-- collision doesn't work quite right, destructable items will collapse of their own accord, strange sounds (presumably improperly-spawning NPCs) will play around you. Sometimes your character will just float around. Sometimes the zombies you left behind will spawn out in the environment and attack you. Overall nothing too out of the ordinary from what you might expect, glitching into an incompletely-loaded map.

But the longer you explore, the stranger things get. Building interiors begin to vanish. Parts of the map disappear, leaving behind floating geometry that should have been attached to some kind of event actor. The lighting becomes progressively more unstable, causing the bloom to become brighter and brighter until you're running around outside in an empty environment that feels almost like something out of the atomic wasteland of Fallout. All of this on its own becomes eerie, but if you're playing on the 360 version, it eventually becomes fatal.

Round the corner, rush down a tunnel, look out into the sky, and it appears-- a humanoid shape, some kind of 2D texture of a blue humanoid silhouette (perhaps a shadow decal), plastered on the walls or watching you from the sky. This entity is called The Freezer, because the instant it appears your game locks up irrevocably, leaving this monstrous stalker to stare at you until you reset the game.

Sounds to me like the premise of a Slenderman game, honestly.

It's real. And it's a game destroyer.

The Freezer isn't just an indicator that your game has crashed; it also causes some kind of internal corruption, making it impossible to continue your game. Or start a new one. Or actually play that disc of Saint's Row II ever again, because whatever error The Freezer causes is so extreme it manages to actually cause physical damage to the disc. The 360 has been proven to have a hardware error that can cause it to scratch and permanently damage a running disc if improperly moved; from what I've gathered, the error The Freezer causes puts so much strain on the console that it triggers this hardware error and the console tears a nasty ring right along the middle of the game.

Nobody is entirely sure what The Freezer is. There are a few theories -- a 'distance ped' spawning too close to the camera, a misspawned zombie, some kind of shader error (as the silhouette of The Freezer seems to resemble the PC in their last frame of motion) -- but there's nothing conclusive, and certainly no idea of how it causes such catastrophic damage on appearance. Similarly mysterious is that doing the same things on any other version of Saint's Row II -- including the downloadable 360 version -- does not yield the same results. You can run the game into a freeze or a crash in these circumstances, but The Freezer only seems to appear on the physical 360 copy (and possibly, though vanishingly rarely, a physical PC copy). And woe be unto you if it appears.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
We're very lucky that the guy recording that had a dozen physical copies of SR2 laying around.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Volition's pretty good about being open on stuff like that. Anyone ever ask them what it is?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Bogart posted:

Volition's pretty good about being open on stuff like that. Anyone ever ask them what it is?

It’s entirely possible that nobody at Volition has heard about this, let alone has an explanation for it. It’s such an obscure bug it may very well never have come up during playtesting, and even if it did it sounds like it might have as much to do with the way the 360 reads disks than the game itself.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

I love this Saint's Row II thing because I have zero idea if it's real or made up right now

don't ruin this for me thanks~

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Quidthulhu posted:

I love this Saint's Row II thing because I have zero idea if it's real or made up right now

don't ruin this for me thanks~

It is real, and there's still only theories about what it even is. Which is really cool!

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
has anybody tried (or reported trying) installing it from the disc? I did that when my copy of Prototype was crashing at loading screens, and it fixed the problem. it would be the same data as a physical copy, but it wouldn't be reading off the disc drive during play. seems like an obvious control

idk, only being on physical copies of the game, which it then destroys, makes a lot of "story" sense, which raises my eyebrow. the only way to see it also makes it impossible to revisit without buying another copy, which both puts an arbitrary cap on attempts to reproduce it (not terribly dissimilar from the "erases itself" contrivance in killswitch), and creates a reason to scare people off from trying it for themselves. that doesn't mean it's a hoax, it's just... narratively convenient

this in mind, I was doing some digging, and was interested to see this guy supposedly getting the Freezer on a PC digital copy, because it would imply the physical-media limitation was an exaggeration that had presumably been played up for the spook factor. scarcity (as opposed to absence) on PC digital also might suggest it has something to do with the hardware set-up, like maybe the 360, particularly reading from the disc drive, just, by chance, happens to have been built to a standard that's more conducive to whatever cascade of issues causes it? (I can't think of any reason that a software lock-up would cause a physical hardware malfunction, but that doesn't mean there isn't one. some poo poo miracle of buffer overflow and an API oversight sending an erroneous system call to the kernel? shrug.)
... but after further digging I noticed he stole the footage from this guy and now I hate and mistrust these youtube men. their words are hollow and their hearts fat with sin. :mad:

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

looking for information on posts
I can confirm that the 360 disc-destroying thing is true, at least. I wrecked a friend's game by moving the console once.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
Yeah, but damaging a disc while moving a console is a super common thing, not specific to the 360 at all but generally common to all optical disc-reading devices except ones that were specifically designed to be moved while containing a disc, like a discman. It's not, in fact, very different from moving a vinyl record player: just like the deployed needle will damage the record if the device is moved, the optical block can damage discs (and vice-versa) when subject to shocks in reading position.

That's a completely different thing from inducing damage by manipulating the reading block through faulty software instructions though, which is mechanically impossible unless, as the previous paragraph mentions, the console itself is subjected to shocks.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It's plausible because not only is the 360 a huge piece of poo poo, where hardware is concerned, but Saint's Row 2 is also a huge piece of poo poo, where coding is concerned.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

In order to damage the physical disk in the same manner as moving the system while the disk was being read, the system would have to be being strained in a way that caused it to physically move, wouldn't it? Like, say, cause the drive to spin the disk so fast that the system vibrated? I don't know if that's actually possible, and it seems like "you can see and hear the 360 physically vibrating" would be a big, notable part of the story if that was the case.

I buy the bug as described, and the save corruption, and maybe even save corruption so bad that you'd have to delete all the save data in order to even start a new game. I find the claim of physical damage to the disk based on a software bug incredibly dubious, though.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
The theory in one of those videos about the crash being caused by the zombie-spawning script running in areas it was never intended for and an NPC spawning into level geometry and the silhouette being the weird glitched-out transparency effect of said NPC rendering through the building makes a lot of sense, I remember watching a video of some of the Saints Row 2 devs playing a debug version and there was a similar hard crash caused by them using the debug feature to spawn non-standard NPCs from like cutscenes and poo poo and them interacting with the environment breaking the Havok physics memory. I've timestamped the two crashes for you but the whole thing is pretty fun to watch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSrABFL4Ce4&t=1440s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSrABFL4Ce4&t=1820s

"We actually have a blue screen of death. It's real."

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

Funkmaster General posted:

In order to damage the physical disk in the same manner as moving the system while the disk was being read, the system would have to be being strained in a way that caused it to physically move, wouldn't it? Like, say, cause the drive to spin the disk so fast that the system vibrated? I don't know if that's actually possible, and it seems like "you can see and hear the 360 physically vibrating" would be a big, notable part of the story if that was the case.

Well, to be fair "you can see and hear the 360 physically vibrating" was normal operating procedure for the 360 :v:

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Guy Mann posted:

"We actually have a blue screen of death. It's real."

Little tidbit for these. If the voice isn't obvious, that's Chip Cheezum on the right side of the couch. He worked for Volition for awhile.

Chairman Mao
Apr 24, 2004

The Chinese Communist Party is the core of leadership of the whole Chinese people. Without this core, the cause of socialism cannot be victorious.
Didn't a bunch of first gen 360s annihilate discs straight out of the box? That could be the grain of truth that this rumor is built around. Then again it would be pretty funny if they fixed the problem with a software patch that just restricted the drives ability to go into full on killmode.

Thing is the 360 disc drives had a variety of different manufacturers with each one running it's own specific firmware. Did they all have this vulnerability or is it only a certain brand of drive that eats discs? What about slim models, do those drives destroy the discs? Does the freezer even appear on that model of console?

I'm also curious as to what would happen with a burned copy of the game on a modded console, could you replicate the glitch for the cost of a dvdr without burning through a pile of retail discs?

It sounds like the freezer is probably a real thing but the actual disc damage seems unlikely. If it's fake it's at least fake in a more interesting way than "how i got ghost in my playstations?".

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I would absolutely believe you could trigger some kind of software glitch that stressed the 360's hardware to the point of damaging it or a game somehow. The first-gen 360 was such a piece of poo poo hardware, and aside from the stuff about it being loud and unstable it also ran super loving hot iirc

Vakal
May 11, 2008

No. 1 Apartheid Fan posted:

I would absolutely believe you could trigger some kind of software glitch that stressed the 360's hardware to the point of damaging it or a game somehow. The first-gen 360 was such a piece of poo poo hardware, and aside from the stuff about it being loud and unstable it also ran super loving hot iirc

The funnest thing about owning an early model 360 was listening to the plastic crack and pop as it cooled for 10 minutes after you tuned it off.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Chairman Mao posted:

Didn't a bunch of first gen 360s annihilate discs straight out of the box?

Specifically if they got jostled while in the upright orientation where the hard drive port was on the top, and pretty frequently if you had the console placed upright but the other way around (which you couldn't do with a hard drive in as it'd fall over, but if you bought one without a hard drive you could do it).

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
a while back i said there was a weird thing off in the distance in one of the insomniac museums in the ps2 ratchet & clank games that was an ancient and confusing mystery to me. well a few days ago i bought the hd trilogy on the ps3 and today i unlocked the insomniac museum in going commando and

it's just an electrolyzer puzzle that they conveniently left close enough to the area where they tested ratchet's jumping physics that you can see it if you fly out with the invisi-bomb. it's not actually a deep weird video game mystery it's just a cute thing they probably left in a specific location on purpose but i didn't understand because i was ten. i'm sorry everyone

NonsenseWords
Feb 17, 2011
re damaged discs - Some of that is conjecture on my part, but it's based on two things I dug up during my (admittedly brief) investigation. One: people reporting not just being unable to load the game afterwards, but being unable to start a game from that specific copy of the disc, and two: one of the posts I found regarding the glitch had somebody take a picture of their game disc post-Freezer, revealing significant physical damage on the data side. Knowing that the 360 had/has an issue where certain models would scratch the discs by dint of simply existing, it seems like a reasonable assumption that whatever is happening here sets the thing off and potentially causes real, physical damage.

Since the PS3 and PC aren't really known for their tendency to annihilate discs on a whim, it stands to reason that this particular aspect of the tale being relegated to the 360 (and, again, only the physical copy of it) would be because of its touchy hardware. I can't corroborate anything myself, having neither a 360 copy of Saint's Row II nor a 360 on which to play it, but given circumstantial and anecdotal evidence I'll believe it.

(I should also add, just for completion's sake, that there is a possibility that the 360 physical copy is an earlier build than the other versions, which would explain why The Freezer appears most frequently and reliably on that particular version.)

quote:

a while back i said there was a weird thing off in the distance in one of the insomniac museums in the ps2 ratchet & clank games that was an ancient and confusing mystery to me. well a few days ago i bought the hd trilogy on the ps3 and today i unlocked the insomniac museum in going commando and

it's just an electrolyzer puzzle that they conveniently left close enough to the area where they tested ratchet's jumping physics that you can see it if you fly out with the invisi-bomb. it's not actually a deep weird video game mystery it's just a cute thing they probably left in a specific location on purpose but i didn't understand because i was ten. i'm sorry everyone
Ah, yeah, that's what it is! Thanks!

I don't think it's there to be a cute Easter Egg, though. The way Insomniac builds their games, they keep a lot of their event items off-screen until such time as they're ready to be used. This is most obvious back in the Spyro games, where the level portals would be active but stored under the level until they were unlocked and called up to the play area (meaning that if you could get out of bounds it was possible to access almost any level without necessarily unlocking it), but they do it in R&C, too.

They also just kind of shove things out of the way if they aren't necessary or go unused (which is to keep the coding stable; sometimes if you delete something you think you don't need you wind up breaking another trigger on the other side of the map, so it's generally easier and safer to just move stuff out of the way). There are some weird things about the R&C2 Museum that make it feel like they actually meant to include more stuff; corridors just kind of terminate, there are a few empty rooms, most of the developer pictures have a message (sometimes voiced!) but some of them are just eerily silent... the Electrolyzer in the middle of the sky was probably a special puzzle that never got finished, or else meant to be activated in some way that never got implemented.

I feel like there's a possibility it might have even been set aside to open up another corridor that was never added, but I'm probably conflating that with the UYA Museum, where there was a part of the Museum sectioned off that you had to solve a specially-designed puzzle to solve.

NonsenseWords fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Aug 25, 2018

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

OG Dead Rising was probably the most infamous game for taxing the garbage first gen 360's so hard that it'd most frequently fry the machine (RROD) or destroy the disc.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Yardbomb posted:

OG Dead Rising was probably the most infamous game for taxing the garbage first gen 360's so hard that it'd most frequently fry the machine (RROD) or destroy the disc.

Dead Rising had survival mode (which didn't allow you to save) and the Zombie Genocider achievement, so people also just kept their console on way longer than they normally would.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

The 360 was such a piece of poo poo, I can’t believe I stuck with it even after 3 red rings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

NonsenseWords posted:

They also just kind of shove things out of the way if they aren't necessary or go unused (which is to keep the coding stable; sometimes if you delete something you think you don't need you wind up breaking another trigger on the other side of the map, so it's generally easier and safer to just move stuff out of the way). There are some weird things about the R&C2 Museum that make it feel like they actually meant to include more stuff; corridors just kind of terminate, there are a few empty rooms, most of the developer pictures have a message (sometimes voiced!) but some of them are just eerily silent... the Electrolyzer in the middle of the sky was probably a special puzzle that never got finished, or else meant to be activated in some way that never got implemented.

I feel like there's a possibility it might have even been set aside to open up another corridor that was never added, but I'm probably conflating that with the UYA Museum, where there was a part of the Museum sectioned off that you had to solve a specially-designed puzzle to solve.

no, it's just the electrolyzer puzzle you need to solve to open the door to the outside of the museum. i only got a glimpse but it's pretty much the same setup that one has