Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:
Wait, are the conversion kits out yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

IronSaber posted:

Official release of 2.0 materials is on 9/13 (about two weeks)

People at GenCon could buy them at GenCon.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

IronSaber posted:

Like ConfusedUs said, I got them at Gen Con.

I then spent literally 6 hours on that following Monday putting together dials and organizing cards while watching bad movies on Netflix and Prime. I regret nothing.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

enigmahfc posted:

Like ConfusedUs said, I got them at Gen Con.

I then spent literally 6 hours on that following Monday putting together dials and organizing cards while watching bad movies on Netflix and Prime. I regret nothing.

Would you be so kind as to measure the assembled dial diameter and depth in mm? I'm looking at a new storage solution, and I think a coin storage box will be perfect if they are the size I think they are.
Also, I'd love to have measurements of the medium base pilot tokens too.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

canyoneer posted:

Would you be so kind as to measure the assembled dial diameter and depth in mm? I'm looking at a new storage solution, and I think a coin storage box will be perfect if they are the size I think they are.

I'd do it but I don't have a rule with mm around.

If you have either Saw's Renegades or a TIE Reaper you'll have 2.0 dials and bases to measure.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

ConfusedUs posted:

I'd do it but I don't have a rule with mm around.

If you have either Saw's Renegades or a TIE Reaper you'll have 2.0 dials and bases to measure.

Unfortunately I don't have either :(

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

canyoneer posted:

These work perfectly for 2.0 dials:
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B002KDNAU2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
1.0 dials are a bit more prone to pop out.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

I found out the 2.0 dials fit perfectly in the pockets of the card organizer sheets I was using for 1.0 upgrade cards.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
I can measure later when I get home. The dials with the cover they come with ARE larger then in 1.0, but that's because the cover itself is larger. The dial part with the maneuvers on it are the same as 1.0.

Funzo posted:

I found out the 2.0 dials fit perfectly in the pockets of the card organizer sheets I was using for 1.0 upgrade cards.

I'll have to look at that when I get home because if that is true for me, holy hell will that help organizing.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

enigmahfc posted:

I can measure later when I get home. The dials with the cover they come with ARE larger then in 1.0, but that's because the cover itself is larger. The dial part with the maneuvers on it are the same as 1.0.

Yeah a good number of people in my local group are just going to use 1.0 covers (the top part) with the 2.0 maneuver part, so they don't have to buy new storage.

I just bought a bunch of acrylic dial covers instead lol

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

canyoneer posted:

51mm diameter at the broadest point, 47.5 at the thumb slot. (so they'll fit into a box 51x47.5).

E: and hooboy am I looking forward to assembling all those dials oh yeah (no) Will have to wait til my wife's out (fortunately she's away that very weekend) and spend a bunch of time in front of Netflix with a hammer. Best way by far to get dial rivets to close fully.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

thespaceinvader posted:

51mm diameter at the broadest point, 47.5 at the thumb slot. (so they'll fit into a box 51x47.5).

E: and hooboy am I looking forward to assembling all those dials oh yeah (no) Will have to wait til my wife's out (fortunately she's away that very weekend) and spend a bunch of time in front of Netflix with a hammer. Best way by far to get dial rivets to close fully.

Awesome. I've been looking into coin collecting supplies to store them and I think I found a winner. A company called Air Tite makes a plastic capsule for coins (Model I) with an outside diameter of 51.6mm and a depth of 2.92mm. Those appear to be pretty close to the critical dimensions of x-wing dials.

There are a lot of storage solutions for those Model I capsules, like a box that stands them all up in neat rows.

Or these little tubes that will hold 10 of them

I think I'm going to buy one of each and see how they fit.

I had all my old dials in plano cases with the ships, and the cards in sheet protectors in a 3 ring binder. Going forward and seeing how cumbersome that all got, I'm thinking of moving all the cards to deck boxes filing cabinet style. And all the dials in cool coin boxes :v:

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

enigmahfc posted:

I'll have to look at that when I get home because if that is true for me, holy hell will that help organizing.

Confirmed, 2.0 dials fit great in the binder pages for little 1.0 upgrade cards.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

TheCenturion posted:

Confirmed, 2.0 dials fit great in the binder pages for little 1.0 upgrade cards.

That is great news. Now I don't feel bad about my nice upgrade card binder I bought.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Esege Tuketu (50)
Concussion Missiles (6)
Skilled Bombardier (2)
Perceptive Copilot (10)
Bomblet Generator (5)
Advanced SLAM (3)

Red Squadron Veteran (43)
Crack Shot (1)
Proton Torpedoes (9)
R2 Astromech (6)
Servomotor S-Foils (0)

Red Squadron Veteran (43)
Crack Shot (1)
Proton Torpedoes (9)
R2 Astromech (6)
Servomotor S-Foils (0)

Total: 194

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

Everything moves into Proton range, Esege Focuses to let the X-wings get full mods, then goes slow next round to get a Concussion Missile off. Esege then fucks around in the middle of everything, handing out Focus to the X-wings and bombs to the enemy. 6 points leftover to play around with, maybe Ion Torpedoes or Advanced Protons?

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Aussie players. Nationals will be hosted by Hall of Heroes (Campbelltown, NSW)

I really like this list. When the wombo combo goes it will be pretty funny. Probably not tier 1, but will be fun to screw around with. Not sure about Kallus though.

Lieutenant Sai (47)
Director Krennic (5)
Agent Kallus (6)
ST-321 (6)

Turr Phennir (44)
Juke (4)

Rexler Brath (84)
Juke (4)

Total: 200

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
I also like the idea of Ciena Ree in a shuttle with Fel and Whisper. Though she doesn't trigger the bonus on Sai, so it's probably not as good as Palp for raw dice power, but 90° turns before a ship activates are pretty strong. Especially in a list with 2 aces that really wants them to be in the fight as often as possible.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I made a Google Doc, if people want to put their lists into it. We can have a halfway proper database of lists instead of people like me asking every 3 days what they should run at the next league.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/11JmHohyuTU90KPDVfQt4DrqhfjL1liHUDiyCWZDL_kI/edit?usp=sharing

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?

The Gate posted:

I also like the idea of Ciena Ree in a shuttle with Fel and Whisper. Though she doesn't trigger the bonus on Sai, so it's probably not as good as Palp for raw dice power, but 90° turns before a ship activates are pretty strong. Especially in a list with 2 aces that really wants them to be in the fight as often as possible.

I'm more or less convinced at this point that having Krennic/Sloane/title on Lt. Sai earns its summarily increased cost (12 points over a generic Palp shuttle) more than Shield Upgrades and the like for Whisper/Fel. I'd have to play each iteration more.

Ciena Ree is one of the most interesting crew in the game for me, and is definitely worth exploring. I have no idea if what she does is costed correctly. It could be too expensive at 10, it could be way too cheap at 10. I kinda wanna try it out.

Raged posted:

Aussie players. Nationals will be hosted by Hall of Heroes (Campbelltown, NSW)

List looks pretty cute, and pretty fun.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I made a Google Doc, if people want to put their lists into it. We can have a halfway proper database of lists instead of people like me asking every 3 days what they should run at the next league.

This seems like a good idea.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

quote:

Also, currently RAW you don't suffer the effects of objects (specifically mines and Rigged Cargo Chutes) of its placed under you. The term "overlap" is defined in the context of moving only (it's something that happens, not a state you can be in). If it's placed under you, you are at Range 0 of the object, but you did not overlap it.

It's an oversight, I'm sure, because the Rules Reference says that if a mine is placed under more than 1 ship, the ship that dropped the mine gets to choose who it affects. But it doesn't say what happens if it placed under exactly 1 ship.

FFG.txt

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

abolish bombs

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

I have what might be a dumb question. On that Krennic list with Whisper and Soontir, who do you put Optimized Prototype on? My thought was Soontir, but maybe there's something obvious I'm missing.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Funzo posted:

I have what might be a dumb question. On that Krennic list with Whisper and Soontir, who do you put Optimized Prototype on? My thought was Soontir, but maybe there's something obvious I'm missing.

I prefer Soontir, as he's the more likely of the two to have no offensive mods (IE he spent all his actions arc dodging and didn't land the bullseye to get the free focus). Then you can spend a focus result to do a thing.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Funzo posted:

Soontir gets Optimized Prototype when I play this. It's a good hedge for splitting up your offense mods and presents opponents with rough choices. You could go after Soontir since he has no defensive upgrades and is the Prototype, but he's a 6 and the bid is high; he might be moving last. You could go after Whisper since she has Darth Vader crew and is the most expensive ship in the list, but she has cloaking shenanigans and doesn't have Krennic nor isn't the Prototype. You could go after the shuttle since it's basically a space bus, carries two potent crew, and is enabling crazy action economy, but then Whisper and Fel are free to dogpile whomever, and even if you blow up the shuttle, Fel still has Juke which still synergizes with Darth Vader who is, you know, still on the board.

Oh, and if you kill any of them you get double-stressed. (EDIT: if you kill Whisper or Fel you get double-stressed.)

edit:
So your average early game turn looks like this:
  • Planning phase. Dial in, goal is to get Whisper and Fel shooting the same guy who is at range 2 or less for Whisper, and for Sai to land within range 2 of an ace to Coordinate a Focus to them (especially if you haven't done this for the free target lock already, since you'll need the lock to switch Fel's Prototype condition on). Ideally Sai is also shooting the same guy, but prioritize the Coordinate if you have to choose.
  • Systems phase happens so Whisper decloaks now and gets her free Evade action. It seems trivial but there's a decent-ish amount of poo poo to remember for flying this list. Write it on your hand if you have to.
  • Activation, and Sai is aiming to Coordinate a Focus to an ace; if he does it for Fel, Fel can get both tokens and do two re-positioning actions in the same turn. Sai will also get a Focus under these conditions, and will also trigger the ST-321 title to get a lock on something in range of the ace you Coordinated, which activates your Prototype and incidentally makes Sai's shot not-trivial, since he'll have Focus and a lock on somebody.
  • Engagement, and before anybody does anything, remember to check for Vader crew and Soontir's bullseye effect. If Soontir is in an arc, don't use his Focus offensively unless he has two. If he's in more than one arc, don't use his Focus(es) on offense at all. With a 6 bid, Soontir should hopefully be shooting first, so feel free to spend his Evade after he's shot and remember to trigger Juke. Also remember that if he's shooting something that Sai has locked, you get a free shield or card flip in trade for an eyeball from Prototype. With Whisper, remember to trigger Juke and to get your free Evade token for hitting. Absolutely remember that if the guy you're shooting is stressed and Fel & Whisper are within range 3 of the shuttle, each of them get a free 1-red re-roll against that target. Also if either of your aces die the guy who killed them gets two stress if your friendly was range 0-3 of the shuttle.
  • End turn, back to dials, start the process over again.

guts and bolts fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Aug 30, 2018

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Hey guys. Has anyone tested out 7x Quadjumpers in a swarm yet?

I'm sure it's bad, and I'm equally sure it's just as hilarious as it is bad.

guts and bolts posted:

Soontir gets Optimized Prototype when I play this. It's a good hedge for splitting up your offense mods and presents opponents with rough choices. You could go after Soontir since he has no defensive upgrades and is the Prototype, but he's a 6 and the bid is high; he might be moving last. You could go after Whisper since she has Darth Vader crew and is the most expensive ship in the list, but she has cloaking shenanigans and doesn't have Krennic nor isn't the Prototype. You could go after the shuttle since it's basically a space bus, carries two potent crew, and is enabling crazy action economy, but then Whisper and Fel are free to dogpile whomever, and even if you blow up the shuttle, Fel still has Juke which still synergizes with Darth Vader who is, you know, still on the board.

Oh, and if you kill any of them you get double-stressed.

Note about Sloane: He doesn't double-stress the person who kills the ship carrying him. It says "other" in Sloane's text.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

ConfusedUs posted:

Hey guys. Has anyone tested out 7x Quadjumpers in a swarm yet?

I'm sure it's bad, and I'm equally sure it's just as hilarious as it is bad.

Note about Sloane: He doesn't double-stress the person who kills the ship carrying him. It says "other" in Sloane's text.

Word, true. I still think Sloane is absolutely bonkers and works well with this list, however. But it's a fair point well made - "another" friendly ship at range 0-3 defending.

edit:
A note about the Whisper/Fel/Sai list is that Admiral Sloane is 10 points, and while I think she's amazing, I have not tested Tarkin in a real game, nor Ciena Ree, nor Grand Inquisitor, nor Perceptive Co-Pilot, nor Minister Tua, who all offer different flavors of cool poo poo to this list. Palpatine is also still an option, but while I think Palpatine is good, I'm not sure he's better than Krennic + another crew, given the aforementioned options. Either way, the "shell," such as it is, should be Whisper with Juke and Vader, Fel with Juke, Sai with title, and you have 21 points to spend on whichever crew you want to slap on the shuttle, with the remainder forming your bid, which I think between 4 and 6 is the sweet spot.

guts and bolts fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Aug 30, 2018

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
So me and a friend used to play X-Wing but never got super deep into it. Between us we have a 3 x-wings and 3 tie-fighters and a tie-bomber. Is it worth buying a conversion kit for any of that? Or just start over with the new basic set?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Popete posted:

So me and a friend used to play X-Wing but never got super deep into it. Between us we have a 3 x-wings and 3 tie-fighters and a tie-bomber. Is it worth buying a conversion kit for any of that? Or just start over with the new basic set?

You need a new core no matter what.

As for your existing ships: a conversion kit is gonna be way overkill for those. You'll have a TON of cardboard for ships you don't own.

This can be a positive, since you could proxy just about anything in the game. You just wouldn't have the plastic models.

Alternately, if you were to part out all the cardboard for the ships you don't own and sell them on ebay, you'd break even or better.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Popete posted:

imho, it depends. If you can still find someone noping out of x-wing because they're mad about 2.0, you might still be able to get cheap ships and then just get a conversion kit for whatever side you want to play.

If you want the smallest possible investment, then probably just get a couple core sets (that gives you 2 x-wings and 4 TIEs) and then just throw the TIE bomber away :v:

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Admiral Joeslop posted:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/11JmHohyuTU90KPDVfQt4DrqhfjL1liHUDiyCWZDL_kI/edit?usp=sharing

I added a handful of lists to the sheet, all of which should be at least decent starting points I'd hope (Super Luke with friends, Super Vader with friends, Whisper/Fel/Sai, double Defenders, and 4x Fang Fighters).

Popete posted:

Grab two 2.0 Cores, an X-Wing blister, a Y-Wing blister, a TIE/ln blister, and a TIE/x1 blister. The total MSRP for that is $160, or $80 each, and you'd have (edited):
  • 2x movement templates
  • 2x damage deck
  • 3x X-Wing
  • 8x TIE/ln
  • 1x Y-Wing
  • 1x TIE/x1
The Bomber would be dead, but it isn't worth buying a $50 conversion for just one. (edit: and 3 of your X-Wings wouldn't have dials, so you couldn't actually use all 6 of the X-Wing minis you'd own.) Assuming you can't find anyone trying to cash out of the game and grab their minis, conversion kits wouldn't be worth it at all for you ($50 per kit) and you need the Cores no matter what for the chits, damage decks, and templates. With the ships you'd have 2.0 eligible after buying this stuff, you could field a competitive list from each faction no problem, so divvy it up based on who wants to be Rebels and who wants to be Empire and start going to your FLGS X-Wing night.

guts and bolts fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Aug 30, 2018

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

guts and bolts posted:

Grab two 2.0 Cores, an X-Wing blister, a Y-Wing blister, a TIE/ln blister, and a TIE/x1 blister. The total MSRP for that is $160, or $80 each, and you'd have:
  • 2x movement templates
  • 2x damage deck
  • 6x X-Wing
  • 8x TIE/ln
  • 1x Y-Wing
  • 1x TIE/x1
The Bomber would be dead, but it isn't worth buying a $50 conversion for just one. Assuming you can't find anyone trying to cash out of the game and grab their minis, conversion kits wouldn't be worth it at all for you ($50 per kit) and you need the Cores no matter what for the chits, damage decks, and templates. With the ships you'd have 2.0 eligible after buying this stuff, you could field a competitive list from each faction no problem, so divvy it up based on who wants to be Rebels and who wants to be Empire and start going to your FLGS X-Wing night.

The problem with this is dials for the X-Wings.

TIE dials didn't change in second edition. He could just re-use his dials from 1.0.

X-Wing dial is WAAAY different in second edition. He'd only have 3 X-wings he could fly with the right dial. He'd either have to proxy dials or find a few extra somewhere.

If dude is cool with that, your plan is great. And it's pretty drat solid for the Imperial player regardless.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

ConfusedUs posted:

The problem with this is dials for the X-Wings.

TIE dials didn't change in second edition. He could just re-use his dials from 1.0.

X-Wing dial is WAAAY different in second edition. He'd only have 3 X-wings he could fly with the right dial. He'd either have to proxy dials or find a few extra somewhere.

If dude is cool with that, your plan is great. And it's pretty drat solid for the Imperial player regardless.

I hadn't considered the X-Wing dial, that's a good catch. And honestly the Empire stuff there is enough to do maaaaybe two lists out of? But you could do Super Luke/Wedge/Norra and Super Vader + TIEs (or just a TIE/ln swarm) with this stuff for minimal buy-in cost and be immediately ready to play competitive games with solid lists.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Popete posted:

Consider just selling off the existing plastic to other players who are buying the conversion kits, and start fresh in 2.0, maybe.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

TheCenturion posted:

Consider just selling off the existing plastic to other players who are buying the conversion kits, and start fresh in 2.0, maybe.

I'd keep the TIE/lns because they port over to 2.0 no problem, and sell the 1.0 X-Wings and Bomber if you can find a buyer. It's definitely better to do two Cores and one of each blister for Rebels and Empire no matter what, though, I think. If you were trying to save money and don't care about playing competitively/you're just playing at home, you'd need one 2.0 Core ($40) and one Rebels conversion kit ($50) and you'd have to share templates, a damage deck, I don't think you'd have enough chits to field two lists, you'd only have 4x X-Wings and 5x TIE/ln fighters and the TIE/sa is still dead in the water. You'd limit your cost to $90, or $45 each, but for not all that much more money you could have way, way more stuff (and good stuff to boot).

edit: Side note, what I'm driving at is that the Core is the best value of the 2.0 stuff by a huge margin. Consider that Luke is only obtainable in the Core and he is amazing, you get the chits, templates, and damage decks you'd need to play "real" games, you get three minis, and it's $10 less cash money than a conversion kit is, and that's the end of that in my estimation. Conversion kits are by and large overpriced ($30 for the Resistance/FO kits!?) and are the only thing about the switch to Second Edition that strikes me as annoying.

guts and bolts fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Aug 30, 2018

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

guts and bolts posted:

I added a handful of lists to the sheet, all of which should be at least decent starting points I'd hope (Super Luke with friends, Super Vader with friends, Whisper/Fel/Sai, double Defenders, and 4x Fang Fighters).

I'm on mobile or I'd do it myself; there are tabs at the bottom for the different factions, to keep things a little cleaner.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I'm on mobile or I'd do it myself; there are tabs at the bottom for the different factions, to keep things a little cleaner.

I'll fix it now, my bad.

edit: fixed. I haven't added lists that I've seen played/built that I had no hand in iterating or did not kinda come up with on my own, so Empire is still missing stuff like 8x TIE/ln or Punisher/Bomber swarm.

guts and bolts fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Aug 30, 2018

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Yeah I'm not adding any lists other people post unless they explicitly ask me to. Don't want to step on any toes.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I really don't mind if you post any of mine. I don't play the "oh my list must be secret" game.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

ConfusedUs posted:

I really don't mind if you post any of mine. I don't play the "oh my list must be secret" game.

If you throw links I'll add them to the sheet, I just don't presently have time to dig through the thread. Incidentally is there a Goon Wangs Discord or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

ConfusedUs posted:

Same. People who do that are silly.