Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Cyghfer seemed cool, but now it seems, he’s A fool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

fadam posted:

Maybe he's doing it ironiclally.

It's 2018, Poe's Law is dead.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

fadam posted:

Maybe he's doing it ironiclally.

ironically being racist to own the libs

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
Just because he got mentioned in that tweet doesn’t mean he agrees with the jackass who mentioned him. Does anybody else have any evidence of cyghfer being a chud? Because that would really be a bummer to me, even more than Caleb.

Col. Roy Campbell
Dec 19, 2008

timp posted:

Just because he got mentioned in that tweet doesn’t mean he agrees with the jackass who mentioned him. Does anybody else have any evidence of cyghfer being a chud? Because that would really be a bummer to me, even more than Caleb.

I did I dive to November 2016 and he retweeted a bunch of Trump-positive stuff.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
cyghfer is a cryptocurrency loving trumplord sorry to say

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
turns out hes bad

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
what happened to the spinning elephant eonwe this is a state of emergency

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Suspicious Dish posted:

:eonwe:

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

RIP cygphgrerg and his incredible gimmick runs

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

absolutely anything posted:

cyghfer is a cryptocurrency loving trumplord sorry to say

He also went to a bunch of "meditation retreats" that sounded exactly like the ones the moonies do so he may actually be in a legit cult lol

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i mentioned cyghfer being a maga chud in one of the gdq chat threads here and a bunch of people jumped on me telling me that they just want to watch video games. sorry but it's worth pointing out when someone is a nazi.

not that i'm still bitter or anything.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

SeXReX posted:

He also went to a bunch of "meditation retreats" that sounded exactly like the ones the moonies do so he may actually be in a legit cult lol

Lol was he going to Cota Rica for it? Cuz there's some youtube person who runs one of those now.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Suspicious Dish posted:

oh i just figured this woudl be fun for a while

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Turns out that when someone spends decades trying to scrape picoseconds off their time on one videogame (or one level of one game), they might be a little odd in ways that aren't endearing or quirky like some people are.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

The Kins posted:

Turns out that when someone spends decades trying to scrape picoseconds off their time on one videogame (or one level of one game), they might be a little odd in ways that aren't endearing or quirky like some people are.

turn on punchy's monitor

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

wrong, fool. gamers are virtuous by definition. the more epic a gamer, the better the person. clearly cyghfer is a fake gamer.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

eonwe posted:

oh i just figured this woudl be fun for a while

:eonwe::eonwe:

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

i mentioned cyghfer being a maga chud in one of the gdq chat threads here and a bunch of people jumped on me telling me that they just want to watch video games. sorry but it's worth pointing out when someone is a nazi.

not that i'm still bitter or anything.

sorry that happened, welcome to the new speedrun threads

ty for tryign to tell us :)

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

i just posted a new time in the bloodstained discord. 9 seconds behind WR, no biggie. WR holder replies saying my time coming out of stage 6 is amazing. i hadn’t put any thought into it at the time so i looked into it myself.

coming out of stage 6: i am 3 seconds ahead
:eyepop:

coming out of stage 7: i am tied with WR pace.
unsurprised i lose time here. least consistent stage of the run.

final stage: goes perfect until it’s not perfect anymore. i make 1-2 second of mistake in pre-boss room. then final boss gives me bad rng which just loses 7 seconds because gently caress you

the only major rng in the run being at the literal final boss sucks so bad lmfao

it’s really annoying to me because like?? i’m clearly very good at this game! there are aspects of this game that i did better than even the WR holder! but when you’re squeezing a rock to try and draw blood seven seconds is a loving MILLENIA and it just feels bad to lose that much right at the very end due to aspects out of my control. i’m satisfied with my run but mannnnnnn

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

omfg i looked at my numbers closer and i'm so MAD

quicker breakdown:

coming out of stage 6: 3 seconds ahead of WR
coming out of stage 7: tied with WR
going into final boss phase 1: 1 second behind WR
going into final boss final phase: 1 second ahead of WR

bad final boss rng: dumps me 9 seconds behind WR

thanks gremory 2 you gently caress

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
I think vipassanna or w/e tf it’s called is legit

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

heeheex2 posted:

I think vipassanna or w/e tf it’s called is legit

are you talking about the school of Buddhism??

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

It’s the meditation retreat thing cyghfer went to

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Yeah, I don't know about the specific group who put on the retreat he went to, but in general terms Vipassana is just a regular ol' school/denomination of Buddhism, I believe more on the Theravada side. Personally I have studied Vipassana meditation on and off for years and the meditation center where I go is extremely chill and cool.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

So you're In the cult too

Neat

https://twitter.com/TohlooSpeeds/status/1035139130307608576?s=19

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

sw let’s start a cult and just chill all day maybe smoke weed

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

You didn't come to sgdq this year you missed out on the formation of my cult based around the Pringles game.

There's also my regular "weird sex" cult

Let me tell you all about the universal consciousness

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
There's a strat to skip the Guyana level and go straight to the credits but it requires a frame-perfect clip to pick the flavor-aid up early and that's about 1/1000 chance without a good setup

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

FirstAidKite posted:

There's a strat to skip the Guyana level and go straight to the credits but it requires a frame-perfect clip to pick the flavor-aid up early and that's about 1/1000 chance without a good setup

Most of the run is spent grinding money to buy the matching tracksuits you need to have equiped to trigger access to the spaceship

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
You can really speed it up with guns enabled but then it becomes tool-assisted

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

First geoguessr and now this. Speedrun.com has gone too far.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

Dr. Stab posted:

First geoguessr and now this. Speedrun.com has gone too far.

they ended up granting it to someone else

and people said I was being dramatic for trying to say that this whole thing is entirely dumb and arbitrary

play games for yourself not for validation from internet strangers

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

validation from internet strangers is the only thing that fuels me

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
I should be able to have a leaderboard for any game, not just "real" "speed" games.

Lots of people are upset that they allow flash games and romhacks. That's very odd to me.

trashy owl
Aug 23, 2017

ROM hacks own though? Who hates them? Why?

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

0x909090cc posted:

ROM hacks own though? Who hates them? Why?

"if there are more WRs in the wild mine has less value" is basically the argument made

usually its more like "if people are getting wr in a thing I think is pointless then someone might think MY wr is pointless" and they completely miss the point that there already ARE people who think their WR is pointless (it is pointless)

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

people who define practically their entire existence with videogames or things similar to it get ornery if they view something as 'tainting' it, or, existing as something they personally do not care about

speedruns are just a small slice of this

trashy owl
Aug 23, 2017

Count me among the happy to have my two submitted times be “tied for 277th in what should be a meme category” and “3rd and by extension last place in a literal meme category”.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Having a WR run in a category that is run by more than 1 person is probably nice but tbh all I'd ever want is to be able to contribute and feel happy that I was able to, in some way, build on something in some small, even potentially insignificant, way