Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
Just cleared Trails 3rd today. I didn’t enjoy it as much as FC/SC but I understand why people would love 3rd as much as they do. I think not enjoying it 100% is partly l was running low on stamina and took some long breaks while playing. But still happy I found the time to put in like 160 hours into the series so far. Can’t wait to try Cold Steel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
My only issue with 3rd is I played it immediately after SC.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Logicblade posted:

As an aside, can I vote to change the Phantasmal Blaze plan to the Spicy Ghost plan, sounds much more ominous that way.

"Phantasmal Blaze" sounds like some sort of weed product.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Ytlaya posted:

"Phantasmal Blaze" sounds like some sort of weed product.

Azure Siegfried
Vermillion Apocalypse
Happiness Stone :q:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Really Pants posted:

Azure Siegfried
Vermillion Apocalypse
Happiness Stone :q:

The first and last sound like nicknames for sex toys.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future

BrightWing posted:

My only issue with 3rd is I played it immediately after SC.

Hey I remember from your avatar you were playing through the Sky trilogy around the same time I started.
I ended up giving myself some breathing room of about 6 months between games.
Did you finish CS 1 and 2 yet? I've got CS1 ready to go on PC but I think I'm gonna work on some stuff before I dive in.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

Pegnose Pete posted:

Hey I remember from your avatar you were playing through the Sky trilogy around the same time I started.
I ended up giving myself some breathing room of about 6 months between games.
Did you finish CS 1 and 2 yet? I've got CS1 ready to go on PC but I think I'm gonna work on some stuff before I dive in.

I did finish CS2. Count me in the "CS3 when" crew.

CS2 probably would be my favorite if I hadn't started it right after finishing CS1.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future

BrightWing posted:

I did finish CS2. Count me in the "CS3 when" crew.

CS2 probably would be my favorite if I hadn't started it right after finishing CS1.

Nice. Yeah I think having a breather in between games doesn't hurt. It's kind of discouraging there hasn't even been so much as "maybe" for the English localization so far. Better learn to read Japanese better I guess.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Pegnose Pete posted:

Nice. Yeah I think having a breather in between games doesn't hurt. It's kind of discouraging there hasn't even been so much as "maybe" for the English localization so far. Better learn to read Japanese better I guess.

Eh, Falcom themselves have said that one of the reasons they're taking a break after CS4 (out in the next month) before starting Calvard arc is to get the remainder of Cold Steel out in the west. So they're almost certainly coming, with Falcom's full support, but haven't been announced yet for whatever reason.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Lord Koth posted:

Eh, Falcom themselves have said that one of the reasons they're taking a break after CS4 (out in the next month) before starting Calvard arc is to get the remainder of Cold Steel out in the west. So they're almost certainly coming, with Falcom's full support, but haven't been announced yet for whatever reason.

It's not really complicated. CS3 and CS4 are almost one game, and getting CS3 without CS4 would be rather terrible. They're waiting til they can announce both at the same time.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Ytlaya posted:

The first and last sound like nicknames for sex toys.

maybe but Purple Lightning is def weed as gently caress

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
I love Trails style names. They're supposed to be ultra edgy legendary callsigns/titles that are more memorable than the real names, and they never get laughed at in-game somehow

Also they remind me a lot of they way it was done in Romance of the Three Kingdoms and the Water Margin series and that is great

P.S. this post was brought to you by the Sidesaddle Cavalry

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Trails has a lot of wuxia in it and those are a mixture of Courtesy names and something like Greek epithets.

Charlie Bobson
Dec 28, 2013
plus trails is generally shonen anime as hell

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
If you live in Zemuria and have a personal title you've probably earned it.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Listen if I could call myself a "Divine Blade" and get away with it without getting awkward stares I absolutely would.

Don't tell me any of you wouldn't.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Eight Leaves One Blaze :420:

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Supremezero posted:

It's not really complicated. CS3 and CS4 are almost one game, and getting CS3 without CS4 would be rather terrible. They're waiting til they can announce both at the same time.

And if XSEED is involved (hopefully) they don't like to announce until a project is nearing completion.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Is there anything interesting after the big epilogue boss in II? It really doesn't make me want to fight a boss when it says right before that there is no point to doing it at all, especially when the boss is basically a palette swap.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

you're at the end

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

That whole dungeon and boss always struck me as something that should have been an optional, post-game thing.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

in a way, all game content is optional

makes u think

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
I started playing Trails in the Sky 3rd and learned that Nial, the grizzled old writer who's seen it all and is getting too old for this poo poo, just turned 30

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
You learn that he's younger than he looks the moment he's introduced in FC, where Estelle calls him a rude old man and he protests that he's still in his twenties. It might be the smokes and alcohol that are to blame, since he still looked the exact same way 5 years before the events of the first game.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

The series is pretty good about that usually (it does feature a lot of actual parents which guarantees people being over 30 years of age) but it does fall for it sometimes.

I still dislike the "12-year old child is somehow 100x better at fighting than trained soldiers" which is all over the series but at least that's usually just attributed to magic being involved somehow.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Erpy posted:

You learn that he's younger than he looks the moment he's introduced in FC, where Estelle calls him a rude old man and he protests that he's still in his twenties. It might be the smokes and alcohol that are to blame, since he still looked the exact same way 5 years before the events of the first game.

Yeah but I played the start of FC like six months ago

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Amppelix posted:

The series is pretty good about that usually (it does feature a lot of actual parents which guarantees people being over 30 years of age) but it does fall for it sometimes.

I still dislike the "12-year old child is somehow 100x better at fighting than trained soldiers" which is all over the series but at least that's usually just attributed to magic being involved somehow.

To be fair in the Sky series there is a progression to getting stronger and their are limits to how strong they are.

The later series kind of chuck that in the bin but that’s just how shonen go.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Even Sky has Joshua, master assassin at 10.

Which, I admit, is more believable than many of the other unbelievable feats people get up to as it doesn't really require much physical prowess.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Small children are better at sneaking through air vents.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
Or dressing up as innocent little girls before they slit your throat. From what I've heard (the games themselves don't acknowledge it), one of the reasons Josh was such a convincing crossdresser in FC was because dressing up as a little girl was one of his preferred methods of getting close to his victims before snuffing them out.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Charlie Bobson posted:

plus trails is generally shonen anime as hell

The thing I like about Lloyd in Zero/Ao more than Rean in CS is that, while he is definitely a shounen protagonist, all the other characters recognize it and dunk on him constantly for it. CS plays it straight with Rean, which doesn't work nearly as well.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Lloyd is way more proactive than Joshua in Sky 1 or Rean in....most of cold steel. That's why I like him more, which is kinda cheating since he's the only working adult.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Tae posted:

Lloyd is way more proactive than Joshua in Sky 1 or Rean in....most of cold steel. That's why I like him more, which is kinda cheating since he's the only working adult.

The issue with this comparison is that the protagonist of Sky 1 is very clearly Estelle and she's definitely way more proactive than Joshua...which tends to get her in trouble.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Estelle is the best.

"I stopped collecting bugs!" "Please explain all the beetles in the hallway." "Shush you."

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

iospace posted:

Estelle is the best.

"I stopped collecting bugs!" "Please explain all the beetles in the hallway." "Shush you."

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I would be lying if I said half my screenshots that aren't chest messages aren't Estelle and her -_- face.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I gave it another try and then he vanished a third of my party in one move and then abducted the last one for the game over. I'll just look up whatever's after.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

vanish lasting 7 games now is shocking. it's terrible in every fight

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Some Numbers posted:

The issue with this comparison is that the protagonist of Sky 1 is very clearly Estelle and she's definitely way more proactive than Joshua...which tends to get her in trouble.

Even then once the actual plot starts both Joshua and Estelle are pretty proactive.

Once the conflict begins they imitate it and keep pushing it forward

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Justin_Brett posted:

I gave it another try and then he vanished a third of my party in one move and then abducted the last one for the game over. I'll just look up whatever's after.

You should by now have at least 3 to 4 pieces of gear to protect against Vanish; either a grail locket, a Wing Master Quartz, a black pendulum, black emblem or abyss shadow.