Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
A generator :razz:

Seriously what you're going to want the most, food-wise, is a heat source. Some kind of hot plate, an outdoor grill that runs on propane, cans of Sterno, whatever. If you have that in place, you have a lot more options.

What do you already have in your fridge and freezer? What will you want to eat for the first few days? Can you precook that if necessary and put it in a separate cooler with ice? If you still have more stuff in your fridge/freezer that you want to try to save, can you pack it with bags of ice and keep it closed?

I mean you can survive on probably nothing but a jar of Nutella. Assuming you don't have heat or cold, I would at least make it slightly more enjoyable with some kind of Costco variety box of granola bars or nut packs, and whatever fruit and vegetables you can get that will last a week+.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

poverty goat posted:

What does GWS buy at the grocery store to prepare for a week+ of free time without power or groceries after a hurricane?

Without a heat source, granola, PBJ fixings, some soft drinks, apples, oranges, bananas etc.

With a heat source, some of the above and eggs, canned foods, rice. Leaning towards full-can meals (beef stew, etc) instead of stuff you want to cook rice and pasta with in case you need to conserve potable water for drinking.

If you have a cooler stock it up with some cold packs and poo poo like eggs, bacon, deli meats / other semi-cured stuff and eat those for a couple days before transitioning to the more boring canned stuff.

Be sure to pack up some tea and other drink mixes if you don't have a lot of canned soft drinks. If you have to subsist on boiled or bottled water alone it gets boring.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Thirding the cooler + ice combo. Ready to eat meats if you don't have heat. Whatever you want if you do. That's aside from any dry snacks you'd want. Stay safe and good luck. How far inland are you?

Loutre
Jan 14, 2004

✓COMFY
✓CLASSY
✓HORNY
✓PEPSI
Whatever you do, don't buy any of those "COMPLEATS" meals. I had to stock my kitchen for easiness after having knee surgery and that was easily one of the worst things I've ever eaten in my life. It was straight up cat food.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.
Lol I’m on a flight to stand in front of this loving storm.

As someone who does a lot of this get a bunch of clif bars etc, tuna packets, jerky, chips, and most importantly water. A poo poo ton of water, and water cleansing kits. And toilet paper/baby wipes. It prob won’t be that bad but if the water supply gets wrecked you will need every drop. Fill your bathtubs as well for clean bathing water.

If this goes bad eating won’t be fun for a while. Accept that and focus on quantities of preserved goods that at least have some rounded nutrition.

Also hot sauce! When you are on day four of tuna some cholula can be a game changer.

Ugh gently caress my life

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.
Also get vitamins

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

poverty goat posted:

What does GWS buy at the grocery store to prepare for a week+ of free time without power or groceries after a hurricane?

Buy a car. Drive to hurricane-less place.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Jay Carney posted:

Lol I’m on a flight to stand in front of this loving storm.

As someone who does a lot of this get a bunch of clif bars etc, tuna packets, jerky, chips, and most importantly water. A poo poo ton of water, and water cleansing kits. And toilet paper/baby wipes. It prob won’t be that bad but if the water supply gets wrecked you will need every drop. Fill your bathtubs as well for clean bathing water.

If this goes bad eating won’t be fun for a while. Accept that and focus on quantities of preserved goods that at least have some rounded nutrition.

Also hot sauce! When you are on day four of tuna some cholula can be a game changer.

Ugh gently caress my life

Yeah this is good poo poo. Also get a lot of extra toilet paper and paper towels. If you get some flooding depending on your sewer setup you might be making GBS threads in a bucket and not taking showers for a while.

Edit: get a bucket

That Works fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Sep 10, 2018

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Croatoan posted:

Thirding the cooler + ice combo. Ready to eat meats if you don't have heat. Whatever you want if you do. That's aside from any dry snacks you'd want. Stay safe and good luck. How far inland are you?

I am just north of where the NC/VA line crashes into the ocean, a stone's throw from both the ocean and the bay. I actually have a generator and a gas grill but if I have to evacuate those don't help much.

Really though Ive done this before and I know how to do it; the question for GWS is how to do it well, to have the best food in my FEMA refugee camp.

E: also, the one thing all of you are forgetting is bleach. Gotta be able to sanitize your kitchen after the sewage goes down or it'll just make you sick

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Sep 10, 2018

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Party liquor. The best meal at the fema camp is the one where people get a nip to take the edge off.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

poverty goat posted:

cured meats and firm cheeses, ingredients for making travel cake, and a couple of bottles of good wine

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
ingredients for pemmican if think things will end up going mad max

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Get used to the taste of long pig now

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Get used to the taste of long pig now

This and party liquor

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

i made a list of the things i need to buy while I'm up today and here it is

• rolling papers
  • dutch masters
  • lighters
  • handle of whiskey
  • 2 cases of beer
  • coffee filters

did I forget anything?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Lots of guns.

And leather chaps.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

Pedialyte for hangovers

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.

poverty goat posted:

• rolling papers
  • dutch masters
  • lighters
  • handle of whiskey
  • 2 cases of beer
  • coffee filters

did I forget anything?

Jesus, man - what are you thinking?

You forgot the COFFEE.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Go ahead and destroy your stairs to keep the undead at bay. Better to do it now than when they're already there. Also maybe some little debbie cakes.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
I got a $100 gift card to Sur La Table for my birthday...what should I buy? Also...holy poo poo this store is overpriced.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Croatoan posted:

Go ahead and destroy your stairs to keep the undead at bay. Better to do it now than when they're already there. Also maybe some little debbie cakes.

But then what do you if someone asks “do you have stairs in your house?”

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Mikey Purp posted:

I got a $100 gift card to Sur La Table for my birthday...what should I buy? Also...holy poo poo this store is overpriced.

Cooking class. It's not the *proper* way to cook (their paella had the rice and veggies cooked separately and had no socarrat :suicide:) but the food is tasty and experiences will trump overpriced junk as far as quality of life goes.

Aside from that:

Kitchen towels aren't too expensive, they have nice patterns
Cake decorating tools likewise not too expensive
Rosle simple tools, like garlic press or a vegetable peeler. They're marked up by a high % but it really does feel fancy to have such a nice tool for everyday tasks.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

BrianBoitano posted:

Cooking class. It's not the *proper* way to cook (their paella had the rice and veggies cooked separately and had no socarrat :suicide:) but the food is tasty and experiences will trump overpriced junk as far as quality of life goes.

Aside from that:

Kitchen towels aren't too expensive, they have nice patterns
Cake decorating tools likewise not too expensive
Rosle simple tools, like garlic press or a vegetable peeler. They're marked up by a high % but it really does feel fancy to have such a nice tool for everyday tasks.

Everyday tasks are precisely the things for which you should have nice tools! You use them a lot so get good ones.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
My Sur la Table has a clearance section that's big and frequently refreshed. I've absolutely gotten good stuff there.

They also have exclusive deals with Le Creuset, both exclusive colors and collections iirc, and while it definitely won't be the cheapest you can get Le Creuset, sometimes you just have a color boner. I had to restrain myself from getting the constellation poo poo.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

poverty goat posted:

Yarn, and books about macrame and knot tying. If your grocery store is a Walmart.

Sunflower seeds.

Starkist chicken creations are pretty good, been eating them for lunch since I bought a bunch on sale.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Sep 11, 2018

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

poverty goat posted:

• rolling papers
  • dutch masters
  • lighters
  • handle of whiskey
  • 2 cases of beer
  • coffee filters

did I forget anything?

I got used to eating canned baked beans cold*, also sardines are good. Peanut butter, large crackers (sao type thick large square ones), nuts and choc bars too. As much water as you can carry.
Stock up on fruit and veg that lasts a while.
Then booze and smokes.
gently caress if I added some things that need water to cook (dried beans, rice, pasta, noodles) and cheap bread, cheese, vegemite and aussie meat pies this is my regular shopping list!

*E: get lower salt ones. Low salt ones are 300mg a serve and taste OK cold but too bland when heated. Regular 500mg+ ones taste better heated but too salty when cold.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Sep 12, 2018

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Summer sausage, cheddar cheese and town house crackers.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

When I got a gift certificate to Sur La Tab, I used to it get my knives sharpened. It's not too overpriced, compared to some of the poo poo that they sell.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Well it looks like the hurricane is gonna run over me too now. I'm in Atlanta so I'm hoping we don't lose power like we did last year. For Maria we lost power for 4 drat days. Gonna stock up on beer, vodka and snack cakes.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I'm gonna learn watercolors and work my way through the entire domestically available Knorr catalog.

Y'all got camping stoves, right? Because a camping stove is a good thing to have.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Suspect Bucket posted:

Y'all got camping stoves, right? Because a camping stove is a good thing to have.
I got a covered up carport area and a bunch of charcoal and a wish to die in a fire for my horrible sins so I'm fine

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Yeah I've got camping gear and a grill. Don't plan on using either because thank god I have a drat gas stove and a lighter. That thing was rad last year.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Jar of Crisco and pr0ks mom [/oldGWS]

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

pile of brown posted:

But you repeat yourself.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

pile of brown posted:

Ah.. Good old pr0cs mom jokes.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
But did you get your Crisco at Costco?

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Suspect Bucket posted:

I'm gonna learn watercolors and work my way through the entire domestically available Knorr catalog.

in a pinch you can make a beer can into a pretty good stove that burns everclear or denatured alcohol

https://www.instructables.com/id/Alcohol-Can-penny-stove/

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
So I'm building my grocery cart on clicklist and I see that now they're selling "Peeled" onions for $2.50 each. Keep in mind, a regular old onion is $.35 each. For gently caress's sake people need to learn how food works. Sorry, had to come and rant.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Does peeled garlic have some type of preservative on it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
I will peel onions all loving day for $2 each