Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
seriouspost: when considering submissions for gdq do the admins check the runner's online history to make sure they aren't a nazi, incel, white supremacist, etc?

because if they aren't they really should be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
It's a convention for people who play the same part of the same videogame ten hours a day for years on end. What do you think?

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

The Kins posted:

It's a convention for people who play the same part of the same videogame ten hours a day for years on end. What do you think?

incels are a hate group so imo they should not be allowed to attend, same as how members of the kkk shouldn't be allowed to attend nice things.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

The Kins posted:

I know this is probably a joke about speedrunners spending all their time on their games and thus not getting any, but for real "incels" are an actual group of insanely hateful people who have chosen to, instead of bettering themselves to become good people and thus fun to be around, they have instead taken the world spurning them as everyone else's fault, especially women. ESPECIALLY women. For example!

https://www.thedailybeast.com/kavanaugh-has-become-a-hero-to-the-incel-community

They are some of the brokebrainiest of the brokebrains. I agree GDQ should curate its runners at least a little bit, and I'm sure they do nowadays, what with culling most of the really awful ones so much that those idiots made their own knockoff full of chuds and stuff.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Captain Invictus posted:

I know this is probably a joke about speedrunners spending all their time on their games and thus not getting any
The fact you have "probably" in this sentence implies a lack of 100% certainty, which mostly stands as a testament to how much the past few years have broken you and many others.

Also, I don't actually think a 24/7 week long livestream of an empty hotel room would raise a lot of money for charity. (The twitch chat would be about the same, though.)

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Irony is dead and sarcasm poofed out of existence

There is only the hell of reality, friend

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

I love hell.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.
they do curate their runners at least a little bit that's kinda what game selection is, duh?

like must we do this every six months, it never goes anywhere meaningful

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

like must we do this every six months, it never goes anywhere meaningful
It's actually gonna be more than twice a year now, thanks to GDQX! :dance::dance::dance::(

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
at least theres no cyghfer this year so thats a plus

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D

Captain Invictus posted:

Irony is dead and sarcasm poofed out of existence

There is only the hell of reality, friend

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

axeil posted:

seriouspost: when considering submissions for gdq do the admins check the runner's online history to make sure they aren't a nazi, incel, white supremacist, etc?

every GDQ some alt-lite shithead gets accepted, every GDQ folks get rightfully mad about it, every GDQ Punchy says it doesn't matter.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Suspicious Dish posted:

at least theres no cyghfer this year so thats a plus

finding out cyghfer was a chud made me incredibly sad

getting shouted down about caring that he was a chud in a gdq thread made me more sad

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I really really really hope that there's a donation incentive for ff9 to name steiner "rusty" for the sole purpose of the handful of times steiner gets pissy about being called rusty

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

DoctorWhat posted:

every GDQ some alt-lite shithead gets accepted, every GDQ folks get rightfully mad about it, every GDQ Punchy says it doesn't matter.

And every GDQ DoctorWhat says something loving stupid. This is like the third time you have randomly declared to know my personal politics and one of them got you probated, maybe use your head a bit more.

I've never said it doesn't matter, I'm saying the way this thread goes about it is dumb and unhelpful. I have personally done more to weed this kind of crap out of my scenes than literally any of your random finger waggling accomplishes.

SuccinctAndPunchy fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Sep 30, 2018

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Well, they let Caleb in after his stint of viewers making trasphobic twitch alt names and subbing with them so they would get on screen and him giggling at them, then saying thats not ok, but also excusing it with "I can't control my viewers".

The only people I've banned recently from chats I mod were caleb subs trying to start poo poo. Seeing his emotes are a good pointer for someone you need to keep an eye on.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

And every GDQ DoctorWhat says something loving stupid. This is like the third time you have randomly declared to know my personal politics and one of them got you probated, maybe use your head a bit more.

I've never said it doesn't matter, I'm saying the way this thread goes about it is dumb and unhelpful. I have personally done more to weed this kind of crap out of my scenes than literally any of your random finger waggling accomplishes.

i'm not a speedrunner and dont have any influence in the community so i can't do anything but given that people didnt know about rwhitegoose and gravitron and cyghfer and caleb last time this came up, spreading awareness in this thread is good imo. if theres anything i can do to help tho, seriously let me know

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
SuccinctAndTouchy

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

finding out cyghfer was a chud made me incredibly sad

getting shouted down about caring that he was a chud in a gdq thread made me more sad
lol who yelled at you for disliking that a runner you enjoy holds reprehensible views

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009

axeil posted:

I don't think they have the time or manpower to do background checks on the thousands of people who submit to gdq. On the other hand this was all in the guy's submission video...

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
To make sure this absolutely never happens again it should just be a week long TASblock

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

SeXReX posted:

To make sure this absolutely never happens again it should just be a week long TASblock

We regret to inform you that the robot hates the gays

trashy owl
Aug 23, 2017

Boogalo posted:

The only people I've banned recently from chats I mod were caleb subs trying to start poo poo. Seeing his emotes are a good pointer for someone you need to keep an eye on.

This is good moderation advice, and a thing I too have noticed.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

kidcoelacanth posted:

We regret to inform you that the robot hates the gays all mankind and is working out the fastest method for total human eradication

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

there used to be an always on channel called TASattack that would just play anything that had a YouTube video version of the submission and chat could pick from 3 options for what was next

Downside was it had a skip option that was easy to trigger late night. Was watching seiken densetsu 3 and someone came in and within 10 seconds of seeing Japanese text on screen voted to skip, "I only speak English so I can't follow along." Despite it being a version that had a combination of story translation and run notes as closed captioning.

It died off pretty quickly iirc.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Good.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
oooooh its THAT star wars game, there's another one that's more like a beat em up which i palyed through and thought it was ok.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

When's Jedi Power Battles?

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

You are now entering completely darkness

Suspicious Dish posted:

i'm not a speedrunner and dont have any influence in the community so i can't do anything but given that people didnt know about rwhitegoose and gravitron and cyghfer and caleb last time this came up, spreading awareness in this thread is good imo. if theres anything i can do to help tho, seriously let me know

wait what did graviton do

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
last i heard, he's in the same group chat as rwhite/cyphfer/cronikeys where they just be alt-right all day and insult trans people

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

also hi i'm doing hosting fopr AGDQ this year so lol

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Say hi to Germany for me.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Suspicious Dish posted:

i mean with whitegoose it's like a well-documented part of his personality, the guy's a poo poo for brains. Caleb acts like a bell-end but his supposed "alt-right"-ness is not something I found particularly convincing, there's a slight difference between bell-endedness and nazism, I'd like to think? although I could be completely loving wrong and he said some awful poo poo idk I don't actually keep tabs on the guy

my problem lies in the fact this thread sometimes does the stream monster thing where it singles out randos for reasons that are asinine and it never accomplishes a whole lot besides being disruptive as everyone falls over themselves to no useful end.

Captain Invictus posted:

SuccinctAndTouchy

i mean yes I am pretty touchy about the fact the guy repeatedly insists that I possess viewpoints that I categorically do not because I have disagreements over the method, there's some pretty astounding assumptions about my values going on there and it's loving annoying.

Musical_Daredevil
Dec 23, 2008

Need some backup NOW!

Congrats! I'll be sure to send you only the finest memes from the donation station.

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009

I'm going to make you say "Poyo"

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

1-800-DOCTORB posted:

I'm going to make you say "Poyo"

I will deliver it absolutely deadpan.

Also, a friend of mine, Ricky, made a video comparing GDQ and ESA to each other, I think the thread might find it interesting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vjyy-UkZBY

I don't agree with all of it (the second stream sucks loving asssssss), but I don't disagree with all of it either.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Hey succinct can I host ur run

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Studio posted:

Hey succinct can I host ur run

No!!!

(yes)

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

it seems i was picked as a volunteer and also as a backup host, but idk

if i'm not going to be running anything it's a bit of a trip out to GDQ just to pre-scan donations for a few days and then maybe get on mic if a bunch of other people can't make it

i'd love to be there but mannnnnnnnnnnnn

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

My first GDQ I went just to go and now SGDQ will be my 3rd time its lots of fun hanging out with folks I've talked online with for years all in one place. Go to GDQ to chill with speedfriends. Most of the event happens outside of the stream room.

Its me, I'm the casual non-speedrunner hogging a hotel room and reg spot. Maybe his time I'll finally say hello to Studio.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

I will deliver it absolutely deadpan.

Also, a friend of mine, Ricky, made a video comparing GDQ and ESA to each other, I think the thread might find it interesting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vjyy-UkZBY

I don't agree with all of it (the second stream sucks loving asssssss), but I don't disagree with all of it either.

oh i saw this linked on the speedruning subreddit. i'll have to check it out!