Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

ufarn posted:

I waited about ten years to upgrade my PC hoping for Intel to get off tick-tock, and for RAM and GPU prices to drop, let me be the one to tell you that waiting out bad pricing and incremental improvement isn’t what it’s cracked up to be.

TOM I KNOW ITS YOU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Lol

Things are never going back to the sweet deals going on these past few years, Component prices are not going to drop to these levels again in your lifetime, and China is not going to lose face to loving Dolan Tront, the laughingstock of the UN, and other than nuclear warfare there’s nothing America can do to force China’s hand without shooting itself in the foot

Next year we get a 1500USD iPhone

So yeah, things are cool

pretty sure the most expensive iphone is already over $1500 w tax in MA

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

ufarn posted:

I waited about ten years to upgrade my PC hoping for Intel to get off tick-tock, and for RAM and GPU prices to drop, let me be the one to tell you that waiting out bad pricing and incremental improvement isn’t what it’s cracked up to be.

:(:hf::(

I'm debating putting together a cheapo system that I can pass on to my brother once Zen 2 comes along.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Arzachel posted:

I'm debating putting together a cheapo system that I can pass on to my brother once Zen 2 comes along.

make a slickdeals pc

i have no need for a computer but i want to for fun

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
I dunno about Steve's whole "manufacturers won't raise prices on stock that's already in the country before the tariffs kick in" thing. Refusing to recognize the change in the value of your inventory doesn't make it not change. If all GPUs are now 20% more expensive then congrats, you just made 20% on the value of your inventory.

It's like how gas station prices all move in sync. When prices drop, if they want to sell gas they have to follow them down, and while they don't have to raise prices if wholesale prices increase, they are "giving away" that money. There's no reason to give away all the upside when you still face the downside risk.

It's not personal, it's business :shrug:

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I would have liked to see how China would react if we simply cut all trade with China and end the 600 Billion dollar and growing trade deficit we have with them each year for decades. Making them have to work out a better deal that doesn't involve giving away parts of the country to them each year because they got favored trading status, is an improvement.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
actual war

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Scalding Coffee posted:

I would have liked to see how China would react if we simply cut all trade with China and end the 600 Billion dollar and growing trade deficit we have with them each year for decades. Making them have to work out a better deal that doesn't involve giving away parts of the country to them each year because they got favored trading status, is an improvement.

That would be economic suicide. American companies can’t just buy their poo poo from Jed down the road when there is no longer any manufacturing capacity in America of most of the things imported.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

VelociBacon posted:

TOM I KNOW ITS YOU

Have you considered to... just buy it

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Zero VGS posted:

Have you considered to... just buy it

why u do this

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Scalding Coffee posted:

The Japanese call this “hara kiri” although it’s likely civil war would destroy America before that happened

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Scalding Coffee posted:

if we nuke ourselves then china wont have anyone to trade with, checkmate

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Arzachel posted:

Part of the reason I went Ryzen is that the AM4 socket will still be supported for another two-ish years so I should be able to upgrade to something even better in the future when my CPU is bottlenecking again.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!

Scalding Coffee posted:

I see we’ve reached peak stupid.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Scalding Coffee posted:

Doing nothing is the right thing. China's policies hurt the US, yes, but they hurt China more, especially in the long term. If Chinese people are willing to bust their asses to make poo poo cheap for us, and meanwhile be content with their government enacting policies that are going to gently caress their kids and grandkids, then one, we should take advantage of it, and two, the US government is not going to be the thing that convinces 1.4 billion Chinese people that their culture should change. You don't respond to people loving themselves by going "Oh yeah? Well I can gently caress myself harder!" You just do your thing and let people eventually learn why those policies are stupid.

crazypenguin
Mar 9, 2005
nothing witty here, move along

Palladium posted:

China's manufacturing efficiency is already to the point where you can use literal slave labor in some other X country and still have trouble competing with them.

Not that the average MAGAer will understand though

I think it was Paul Krugman a few years ago that wrote an article (addressed to some people on the left, at the time) about whether the free trade genie could even be put back into the bottle.

I can't find a link right now, but the gist of the argument was that it's now hopeless. Once you go free trade, re-instating tariffs doesn't take you back to the old equilibrium. It's a new shittier equilibrium point that's pretty much just "it's still cheaper to make everything over seas, and now we just pay more taxes".

Your point is part of the reason: there's trillions in manufacturing infrastructure over there now. You'd have to replicate those trillions of dollars of investment over here, just to get back to price parity.

Anyway, you know it's funny, I starting following pc hardware heavily again 2 years ago because it was a nice escape from politics, where we could be hopeful about the cool stuff coming in the future! Sigh.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Paul MaudDib posted:

I dunno about Steve's whole "manufacturers won't raise prices on stock that's already in the country before the tariffs kick in" thing. Refusing to recognize the change in the value of your inventory doesn't make it not change. If all GPUs are now 20% more expensive then congrats, you just made 20% on the value of your inventory.

It's like how gas station prices all move in sync. When prices drop, if they want to sell gas they have to follow them down, and while they don't have to raise prices if wholesale prices increase, they are "giving away" that money. There's no reason to give away all the upside when you still face the downside risk.

It's not personal, it's business :shrug:

It does seem like wishful thinking after manufacturers and retailers got a taste of the gas station model during the bitcoin fiasco.

Scalding Coffee posted:

Trade deficits aren't "losing" and trade surpluses aren't "winning" (nor vice versa), even ignoring the massive over-counting going on the trade deficit numbers. Suddenly eliminating all trade would definitely be very very losing - for everyone.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Oct 1, 2018

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Grafted to machines your builders did not understand.

crazypenguin posted:

Anyway, you know it's funny, I starting following pc hardware heavily again 2 years ago because it was a nice escape from politics, where we could be hopeful about the cool stuff coming in the future! Sigh.

The fact that this bullshit is loving with my hobby head-space is almost as bad as the fact that it's also making it more expensive.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Scalding Coffee posted:

you're very good at politics

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Stickman posted:

It does seem like wishful thinking after manufacturers and retailers got a taste of the gas station model during the bitcoin fiasco.

Trade deficits aren't "losing" and trade surpluses aren't "winning" (nor vice versa), even ignoring the massive over-counting going on the trade deficit numbers. Suddenly eliminating all trade would definitely be very very losing - for everyone.
Having one-sided trade deficits going this poorly are why we got out of NAFTA and renegotiated.

cowofwar posted:

That would be economic suicide. American companies can’t just buy their poo poo from Jed down the road when there is no longer any manufacturing capacity in America of most of the things imported.
You do know there are other countries we can trade with?

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Oct 1, 2018

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Scalding Coffee posted:

You do know there are other countries we can trade with?

Yeah, you know those other countries with massive electronics supply chains that we don't trade with for some odd reason

edit: certified brain genious

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
I threw a GPU cooler, bracket, and vertical extender on my credit card yesterday to bypass this dumb poo poo, because paying the credit card off in a month or so is easier to take than the bending over we are all about to receive.

edit: antifa nazis? Haha oh boy you're dumb.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
We dont need to out /pol/ here I dont think that didnt go well last time. Lets just say, barring trading with other countries that dont make what we want to buy (hate to break to to anyone who doenst know this but they get everything from China too), we're in this hole now. Just imagine, the $1200 FE is the cheapest 2080ti we'll ever see :v:.

Well maybe, if they ever ship.

:(

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Siets posted:

I’m no MAGAer, but how else do we combat slave labor industry at China’s scale than employing tariffs? Sitting around jerking off to “the free market” while Foxconn employees commit suicide and are replaced by children seems the worst of the two options to me.

Build a time machine.

This is the future that decades of outsourcing and offshoring manufacturing has gotten us to. China makes all of our tech for us because they built a lead on cheap labor, and then parlayed that cheap labor into automation, without any of the hangups about "machines put people out of jobs" that we have in America, while appealing to the part of the consumer's lizard brain of "product cheap, therefore better!"

There is no ethical consumption under capitalism... especially not when you've pissed away the ability to made a difference with your consumption decades earlier.

Now, I will say that as working for my dad as of those "small business owners" and "job creators" that President Mushroom Dick likes to say he's trying to protect by enacting these tarriffs? No. No he's not. If we're lucky, we might survive the year. Dad is past retirement age, he just keeps running the shop so he has something to do instead of going stir-crazy at home. And he always makes low-level grumbling noises about shutting down the shop and retiring-retiring. But his grumbling has gotten worse over the past year, and I wouldn't put it past him actually doing it, assuming we aren't killed by the apocalypse first.

Scalding Coffee posted:

Having one-sided trade deficits going this poorly are why we got out of NAFTA and renegotiated.

I guess, if you consider "got minor concessions back from Mexico and Canada in exchange for bending over and taking the full brunt of all of TPP that would have affected US + Canada trade", to be "we got out of NAFTA and renegotiated", sure. President Deals, everyone!

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Oct 1, 2018

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Scalding Coffee posted:

Fess up, which one of you dorks bought Trump a SA account

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Scalding Coffee posted:

You have a massive one sided trade deficit with your local grocery store. It's not a problem because you recognize getting food for relatively cheap is good. A trade deficit isn't a bad thing if your getting value from it. Why do you think the US government would be better equipped to make that decision than the businesses that import stuff?

Also lol at the NAFTA renegotiation. The only term is upping the % of a car that has to be made in the US from 62.5% to 75%. Meaning those cars will likely be more expensive and there will be almost no impact to the manufacturing sector. Way to go!

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Cygni posted:

if we nuke ourselves then china wont have anyone to trade with, checkmate

we have dropped plenty of nukes on american soil lmao

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

Note that much of America's "massive trade deficit" with China is a statistical illusion:

Paul Krugman posted:

First of all, much of that big deficit is a statistical illusion. China is, as some put it, the Great Assembler: Many Chinese exports are actually put together from parts produced elsewhere, especially South Korea and Japan. The classic example is the iPhone, which is “made in China” but in which Chinese labor and capital account for only a few percent of the final price.

That’s an extreme example, but part of a broader pattern: Much of the apparent U.S. trade deficit with China — probably almost half — is really a deficit with the countries that sell components to Chinese industry (and with which China runs deficits). This in turn has two implications: America has much less trade leverage over China than Trump imagines, and a trade war with “China” will anger a wider group of countries, some of them close allies.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

i didnt think the point of the tariffs was to actually win on trade it was just to win votes from idiots :shrug:

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Yes, the tariffs are necessary to stop those nasty Europeans with better labor laws.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
:siren:This thread is for discussion of GPUs, not trade policy:siren:

I mean there's some overlap and it's obviously a highly relevant topic right now, but we're at the point where the discussion really needs to be in a more appropriate thread in a more appropriate forum.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Anyone here actually gotten their hands on a 2080Ti yet?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

EdEddnEddy posted:

I called today about my preorder and they don't have any of the EVGA 2080tis at all in Vancouver.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
So relating to graphics cards, do these tariffs mean it's best to buy a card as soon as humanly possible to get in before it happens, or am I still good waiting for a theoretical 2060?

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

you talking year or gpu model

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008
Got my EVGA GTX 1080 ti Black Edition in the mail. For a mining card its in loving great condition complete with box, manuals, and the original invoice.

For $425 on Ebay its a steal glad I got it. Now I will flip my 1080 for $350.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

EdEddnEddy posted:

I got my EVGA 2080Ti last Wednesday. Really happy with it. The software is a bit buggy though.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Siets posted:

I’m no MAGAer, but how else do we combat slave labor industry at China’s scale than employing tariffs? Sitting around jerking off to “the free market” while Foxconn employees commit suicide and are replaced by children seems the worst of the two options to me.

It’s not really our problem, because it’ll very likely take violent revolution.

Besides, this isn’t the reason for what Trump is doing; he’s whining about the country’s disregard for intellectual property makes it a problem for capitalists who invest intellectual property, and the right wing had bitched for a while about lowered costs of international shipping favoring overseas retail over domestic. Oh noes you can download movies on the internet and buy knockoff poo poo at AliExpress time to gently caress over everyone.

My guess is Trump wants to sell exemptions for donations or some poo poo because he doesn’t know what’s illegal and doesn’t care, and this will probably end once Republicans lose agribusiness.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Enos Cabell posted:

My PC is working fine on new drivers with one gsync one non monitor. No problem playing new tomb raider with both displays on.

Just wanted to quote and call myself a dumbass. I had downloaded the drivers but I guess didn't install them. They do in fact totally gently caress up gsync on multi monitors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum

EdEddnEddy posted:

I cancelled my FE order and camped newegg.com at midnight on the 27th. Was able to snag a Zotac and got it last Friday.