Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

When Wizards World started a women’s league, it was a real poo poo show.
The organizer said it was like bowling or softball where women and youth leagues made sense.
A bunch of idiots basically mocked the concept and said they’d beat all the “girls.”
I’m pretty sure the top half of the players there can hold their own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

I actually had someone say to me "hey roffels, how does it feel to be beat by a girl?" in a mocking tone. I proceeded to give him poo poo about tying masculinity to pinball ability. I've got no tolerance for toxic masculinity. And why put the woman down?

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Gross, and well done

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

One guy brought his wife to our league and she cleaned up. We gave him crap just because any time he brings a family member (child or wife) he gets smoked. He’s the architect of his own demise.
I’m glad I don’t deal with that crap. Everyone here welcomes the new players.

She Bangs the Drums
Oct 17, 2009

by VideoGames

bewbies posted:

jesus christ people

no poo poo

my point was that i thought it was really cool there was a girl (like, young-ish girl, too) there kicking the asses of a bunch of middle aged big bellied trumpists.

sorry if i was surprised by this but i don't think it was out of line to say so

Simple fact is nothing in your original post made that point, you just said it was crazy.

Maybe work on making better points.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
quite right, it is clear upon rereading that my use of the word crazy there would be interpreted by any reasonable person as a misogynist attack

She Bangs the Drums
Oct 17, 2009

by VideoGames

bewbies posted:

quite right, it is clear upon rereading that my use of the word crazy there would be interpreted by any reasonable person as a misogynist attack

Yes, Principal Skinner It is not you that is out of touch, it is the children.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Man, ever get those tournaments where you're doing rather well just to crash and burn 3 games in a row and have to drop out?

I feel like I can never get a hang of nudging. Anyone got any tips for ball control?

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

bewbies posted:

this but unironically

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Snacksmaniac posted:

When Wizards World started a women’s league, it was a real poo poo show.
The organizer said it was like bowling or softball where women and youth leagues made sense.
A bunch of idiots basically mocked the concept and said they’d beat all the “girls.”
I’m pretty sure the top half of the players there can hold their own.
I was down there Saturday while the Belles and Chimes monthly was going on. The atmosphere is just completely different. They are far less physical with the machines and generally stand around cheering each other on. They frequently bring food to share and friends who are new to Pinball and just want to hang out. When a ball drains, even when it mean elimination, they turn around and smile.

A lot of these women play in my league and I can tell you they have just as much ability as the men. The culture of competitive pinball is dominated by men because of the intensity they bring to it. Rage tilting and a string of profanity as you walk away from the machine is just not a thing I’ve seen even the best female players do. I can only imagine how repulsive this behavior is from the outside and I don’t blame them for wanting a tournament series they can separate from that.

I’m pretty sure having fun is a lost objective of competitive pinball for a lot of men. I’m as guilty as the next guy. The power went out Saturday while I had Number of the Beast qualified and was over half a billion points on Maiden. It took me like and hour and a couple beers to calm down.

She Bangs the Drums
Oct 17, 2009

by VideoGames

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Man, ever get those tournaments where you're doing rather well just to crash and burn 3 games in a row and have to drop out?

I feel like I can never get a hang of nudging. Anyone got any tips for ball control?

nudging to me is just knowing the table and it's common pitfalls.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
Oh wait, the Williams tables are coming out tomorrow? Wow does time fly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfrwXSF6YtI

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I've got an urge to play TNA again tonight. I hope I can manage not to drain all my balls in 30 seconds this time!

super nailgun
Jan 1, 2014

Lone Goat posted:

this but unironically

Yeah... My context for this is an active citywide scene with a number of women's pinball organizations and league/tournament events, and a host of female players who are world class and regularly dominate in open events. There's no way saying that it's "crazy" that a "girl" put up a good game is anything but insulting and lovely. It's exactly the kind of sexist talk that can make the scene unappealing to newcomers and unpleasant even for the familiar, and will rightly get you ejected.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
sorry man, it was loving crazy how good that girl (and she was a girl, she was probably still in high school) was at that table.

this will be my last comment on the subject but i look forward to reading more woke commentary about my compliment to her crazy pinball skill

also, i told her "that was crazy!" after the game (those were my exact words). i hope she didn't feel threatened or unwelcome by my toxic masculine display

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

tonedef131 posted:

I was down there Saturday while the Belles and Chimes monthly was going on. The atmosphere is just completely different. They are far less physical with the machines and generally stand around cheering each other on. They frequently bring food to share and friends who are new to Pinball and just want to hang out. When a ball drains, even when it mean elimination, they turn around and smile.

A lot of these women play in my league and I can tell you they have just as much ability as the men. The culture of competitive pinball is dominated by men because of the intensity they bring to it. Rage tilting and a string of profanity as you walk away from the machine is just not a thing I’ve seen even the best female players do. I can only imagine how repulsive this behavior is from the outside and I don’t blame them for wanting a tournament series they can separate from that.

I’m pretty sure having fun is a lost objective of competitive pinball for a lot of men. I’m as guilty as the next guy. The power went out Saturday while I had Number of the Beast qualified and was over half a billion points on Maiden. It took me like and hour and a couple beers to calm down.

Aw man, I hope I'm not too violent for Belles and Chimes :ohdear: I'm an inveterate table-smacker and I curse a blue streak every time I side drain...or otherwise lose a ball.

I'm gonna need people to play with once the ex goes to Germany, so an all women's league sounds like a great idea.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Unsinkabear posted:

Are pinball dudes that greasy and unpleasant to warrant a gender league schism?

I feel like we could have avoided the dogpile and just responded to this part with "they're actually somehow worse"

Like, it's gotten marginally better as youngs and hipsters discover how rad pinball is, but you're never gonna get the divorced creepy uncle stench out of pinball pretty much

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

I almost bought a royal rumble from a guy on Facebook. Turns out he was the trump truck guy.
Lot of CHUDS in pinball because they got there while it was cheap.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Well hello, m'lady. I see your racking up quite a high score on that Funhouse machine. Fun fact, I lost my virginity on top of a Funhouse pinball machine back in the day. I was 14, she was 32, a real may december romance. But as we became one on top of Rudy's smilHEY NOW, WHERE ARE GOING? You still have 2 balls left! Miss?!

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Snacksmaniac posted:

I almost bought a royal rumble from a guy on Facebook. Turns out he was the trump truck guy.
Lot of CHUDS in pinball because they got there while it was cheap.

Take comfort in the fact that he's selling.

super nailgun
Jan 1, 2014

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Like, it's gotten marginally better as youngs and hipsters discover how rad pinball is, but you're never gonna get the divorced creepy uncle stench out of pinball pretty much

Yeah... The old school forums are absolutely radioactive outside of the strict on-topic zones. At least the scene is moving in the right direction, generally, especially as far as any real world public venues and events are concerned.

super nailgun
Jan 1, 2014

I got all of the hard work done on my Scorpion (40 pin connector, replace lamp drive transistors with MOSFETs, replace all of the IC sockets) and it surprisingly booted and played on the first try after reinstalling the boards. Now I've just gotta get some flipper rebuild kits, rubber, and bulbs, and go through the playfield. Not sure whether I want to make a Mylar protector, or attempt clear coating... I might just Mylar now and make sure it's got a lot of wax on it first so I can pull it back up once I have a better setup to spray clear coat.

super nailgun fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Oct 9, 2018

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Now that’s a wide body.
Great work!

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

bewbies posted:

sorry man, it was loving crazy how good that girl (and she was a girl, she was probably still in high school) was at that table.

this will be my last comment on the subject but i look forward to reading more woke commentary about my compliment to her crazy pinball skill

also, i told her "that was crazy!" after the game (those were my exact words). i hope she didn't feel threatened or unwelcome by my toxic masculine display

Hello bewbies! You are allowed to be surprised and think it cool that you can see amazingly skilled lady players in a game usually dominated by men. I think it is absolute awesome that inclusive communities are growing and growing.

However, many women have had to put up with people saying 'wow did you know a lady can play well??' all through their lives. As such hearing it yet again would make some of the fellow posters roll their eyes at still being thought of as inferior. It is definitely something they go through a lot and a worry for any woman entering a particularly male dominated arena that they will not be taken seriously.

The best thing to do when this happens is to simply say "My bad" and explain that you did not mean any ill will, and I genuinely think in your first post that you did not mean any such will.

The subsequent posts containing lines such as "quite right, it is clear upon rereading that my use of the word crazy there would be interpreted by any reasonable person as a misogynist attack" and "i hope she didn't feel threatened or unwelcome by my toxic masculine display" are pretty bad and only further cement what some posters originally took from your post.

Please do not see this as a further attack, it is just an explanation and a bit of advice so that it might not crop up again in this or any other thread. Thank you kindly.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
https://twitter.com/mikko/status/1049593876565118977

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
Williams pack for PBFX3 is out on steam

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GYRB7gLFkQ

Play those tables so I can compare scores and feel inferior to you guys, the real pinball experience.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
How much is the pack?

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

cosmicjim posted:

How much is the pack?

9.99 euros on the Nintendo Switch eShop at least, so I'd say the standard price for packs.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Not on Android yet :smith:

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
I'm seeing a lot of yelling on the FX3 steam forums about the tables being censored. I assume it's just some people overreacting?

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde
Medieval Madness is locked into family mode, and they removed all the tobacco and alcohol from the table art. I don't know what changes on medieval madness with family mode on, but it doesn't seem like a big deal to me.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

Zen posted:

There are still ongoing conversations between Zen and platform holders which may or may not result in changes to our rating. This is as honest as we can be at this time. As things progress, we will keep you updated. 

Fish Tales is free for all players. We must absolutely keep the content in line with what our age rating system is. At this time we are not prepared to release a version of Fish Tales without the censored artwork. It is possible this could change in the future, but again, we are going through the necessary steps with platform holders to make sure we would make the changes correctly and in line with what an existing player base would require (notifications, etc.).
drat kids ruining my pinballs.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
Ironically, might I add.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

What could possibly be on a table called "Fish Tales" that needs to be censored?

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

Fun Shoe

Unsinkabear posted:

What could possibly be on a table called "Fish Tales" that needs to be censored?

I think there was mention of some artwork? I'm not sure why it even matters.

I tried out the Fish Tales table and while the physics are better than whatever the norm is for FX3, there's still something slightly off about it.

content
Feb 13, 2014

Ryuga Death posted:

I tried out the Fish Tales table and while the physics are better than whatever the norm is for FX3, there's still something slightly off fishy about it.

content fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Oct 9, 2018

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

Fun Shoe
Also, drat, the ball is bouncy as hell and really fast in these williams tables.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Unsinkabear posted:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/442120/discussions/0/3317353727663998942/

Apparently every single table has like 6 pictures of pipes and cigars on them I've never paid any attention to.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
I get the feeling that Farsight was way too lax on ESRB stuff and Zen is very strict about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

elf help book posted:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/442120/discussions/0/3317353727663998942/

Apparently every single table has like 6 pictures of pipes and cigars on them I've never paid any attention to.

Yes, this is an extremely important issue.

SAVE the PINBALL ! Say "NO!" to CENSORSHIP