Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Deviant posted:

groan, whatever, fine.

You only need to email for the cabinet mode. In windows, just rotate your desktop and FX3 will play in portrait.

Side note, The Rock and Roll Hall of fame has a playable pinball exhibit. You can play the super rare Gottlieb Punk pinball. It's the first time I got time in on Tommy and Guns and Roses. Spooky's Alice Cooper was out of order though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006
Friday nights are for Wapner!

roffels posted:

You only need to email for the cabinet mode. In windows, just rotate your desktop and FX3 will play in portrait.

Side note, The Rock and Roll Hall of fame has a playable pinball exhibit. You can play the super rare Gottlieb Punk pinball. It's the first time I got time in on Tommy and Guns and Roses. Spooky's Alice Cooper was out of order though.

That's actually kinda impressive that the RNR hall of fame has those! I would have thought it might have just been a broken down Rolling Stones, AC/DC, and maybe Aerosmith. What else do they have?

Not pinball-related but close... Do they have REVOLUTION-X?

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Der-Wreck posted:

That's actually kinda impressive that the RNR hall of fame has those! I would have thought it might have just been a broken down Rolling Stones, AC/DC, and maybe Aerosmith. What else do they have?

Not pinball-related but close... Do they have REVOLUTION-X?

It's a temporary exhibit. From memory. Dolly Parton, vintage and modern Kiss, vintage Rolling Stones, Metallica, Wizard, ACDC, Elvis. Aerosmith, and the ones mentioned above. It's a pinball only exhibit.

AntifaSupersoldier
Jul 30, 2003

Reality is what you can get away with
Hell Gem

Stan Taylor posted:

Elvira owns.
Let me make this clear. I have known you for thirty seconds and they have all been awful. I don't give a gently caress what view you hold and I don't owe you a debate. I give a gently caress that you're an rear end in a top hat and you're posting in a nice thread that I intend to keep that way.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Blood Libel posted:

Let me make this clear. I have known you for thirty seconds and they have all been awful. I don't give a gently caress what view you hold and I don't owe you a debate. I give a gently caress that you're an rear end in a top hat and you're posting in a nice thread that I intend to keep that way.

:dogbutton:

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Snacksmaniac posted:

I love the stupid enhancements too much. I just want operator menus.

I'm kind of annoyed that neither Pinball Arcade nor PinballFX let you access the operator menu (without paying for it, in the case of Pinball Arcade, and I'm more annoyed than I should be that they locked Scared Stiff into family mode unless you ponied up for the Pro upgrade to turn it off) or save NVRAM, for that matter. Like, if you're already emulating the ROM, how hard can it be to just do that as well? I just want my virtual Champion Pub to track all the wins and losses I put into it, damnit!

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Inferior Third Season posted:

All of these mentions of Elvira got me interested in checking out her wikipedia page. My god, she has had an interesting life. Go-go dancer at a gay bar, dated Elvis Presley, moved to Italy and became lead singer of a rock band, was in a Fellini movie, and then moved back to the States and joined the Groundlings. And then she became Elvira.

This is really neat, thanks for posting this.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Got 63mil on t2.

I still don't like it.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Inferior Third Season posted:

All of these mentions of Elvira got me interested in checking out her wikipedia page. My god, she has had an interesting life. Go-go dancer at a gay bar, dated Elvis Presley, moved to Italy and became lead singer of a rock band, was in a Fellini movie, and then moved back to the States and joined the Groundlings. And then she became Elvira.

I read an interview with her last month or so. Once the character got big she kept asking for pay raises and the station kept telling her no, so every time they refused she asked for some rights instead. Like how about the rights for a fan club? How about doing public appearances? How about merchandising? And eventually she just owned the character entirely and spun it off into everything else.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Saint Freak posted:

I read an interview with her last month or so. Once the character got big she kept asking for pay raises and the station kept telling her no, so every time they refused she asked for some rights instead. Like how about the rights for a fan club? How about doing public appearances? How about merchandising? And eventually she just owned the character entirely and spun it off into everything else.
I grew up watching Movie Macabre in Los Angeles where she became what we know of today. The station she was on (KHJ-9 Los Angeles) was notoriously cheap and a bottom dweller in local ratings. A lot of that stems from their owner General Tire & Rubber Company/RKO Pictures being embattled in a two decades long court fight with another media owner and the FCC over dodgy trade practices which they ultimately lost. The only thing that KHJ had which was a benefit to Elvira and her local show was the access to the entire RKO Pictures library since General Tire acquired the once great movie studio.

Elvira was about the only thing on that channel anyone ever watched outside of Lakers basketball which aired on channel 9 for years. The gimmick of running Creature From The Black Lagoon in 3-D in the 80's sparked a run on 7-11 to purchase the required 3-D viewing glasses. The movie itself no one really cared about but the knowing that Elvira's host segments and her let's just say "ample assets" would also be in 3-D sparked a frenzy. I remember watching that program and my Dad snatching my 3-D glasses during one host segment.

I've also met Cassandra Peterson in person and she is the coolest and most down to Earth classy woman I've had the pleasure of meeting. She's every bit as sexy out of character as she is in it. I haven't seen her lately but last I checked she still looks dynamite even in her old age.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

So I tried Pinball FX3 to get a feel for how they were going to handle the Williams tables. Two things jumped out at me - is it just me or does the ball move way too goddamn fast? It's like hitting a ping pong ball. Second, I really don't know how I feel about the gameplay revolving around grinding a table in order to make it easier to score on, something about that feels really antithetical to the nature of the game.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

hexwren posted:

So I tried Pinball FX3 to get a feel for how they were going to handle the Williams tables. Two things jumped out at me - is it just me or does the ball move way too goddamn fast? It's like hitting a ping pong ball. Second, I really don't know how I feel about the gameplay revolving around grinding a table in order to make it easier to score on, something about that feels really antithetical to the nature of the game.
There's a classic mode for each of Zen's tables that ignores all the dumb powerup poo poo in favor of just playing pinball.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I don't care at all for the arcadey powerup stuff in Pinball FX. The extra visuals are kind of neat, but it's classic mode all the way for me.

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006
Friday nights are for Wapner!

hexwren posted:

You could always use the slo-mo upgrade :haw:

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Yea it seems really fast. But I love the dumb sfx.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Jesus christ what happened to the pinball thread? Can't keep politics out of anything. I haven't really played any in almost two years now, but pondering getting either the last two seasons of TPA or possibly the FX3 stuff, but eh. I really hate the zen physics system. Probably going to end up going with TPA.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
Zen has a new physics system for williams tables should be the new thread title or something. TPA seasons were taken down since they lost the Williams licence, enjoy your Gottlieb packs.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
https://twitter.com/rxrm80/status/1050376956271767553

I was pretty much in the zone, with extra balls pouring in for good measure. Pity I couldn't keep the momentum going on long enough.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Terminally Bored posted:

Zen has a new physics system for williams tables should be the new thread title or something. TPA seasons were taken down since they lost the Williams licence, enjoy your Gottlieb packs.

The last two seasons are still up I'm pretty sure since they stopped releasing williams and such. I grabbed the ones that had them before it became unavailable. And Gottlieb has some decent tables. Older ones in particular.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Nurge posted:

The last two seasons are still up I'm pretty sure since they stopped releasing williams and such.

Where?

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

My bad I guess they changed how they release stuff. Been out of the loop for a while. Sorry.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Try out Fish Tales in PFX3, it has updated physics.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

Terminally Bored posted:

Try out Fish Tales in PFX3, it has updated physics.

And it's free to boot.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
Apologies if I completely missed this being discussed, but is there any way to fix the sound in FX3 so that you can actually hear the table callouts and music? It's so faint.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

I seem to have lost the ability to just play a standard game of pinball in FX3? It's only offering me timed matchups when I go into Single Player mode and choose Fish Tales. Sorcerer's Lair works, but choosing fish tales takes me straight to a screen where I choose one of 3 opponents and their score to challenge.

Deviant fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Oct 11, 2018

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

Deviant posted:

I seem to have lost the ability to just play a standard game of pinball in FX3? It's only offering me timed matchups when I go into Single Player mode and choose Fish Tales

Check in what tab you're choosing the stage. They recently included a Matchup tab in the table selection screen to make it "easier" to see what stages are in play, but I think that just confuses people.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

No. 1 Callie Fan posted:

Check in what tab you're choosing the stage. They recently included a Matchup tab in the table selection screen to make it "easier" to see what stages are in play, but I think that just confuses people.

Yep, that was it.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Any news on Munsters? I know it's a dumb theme but I have a friend who absolutely loves the show for some reason and was excited about it.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.
Nothing too much- I think some side art leaked but that’s it. There’s a rumor that it got bumped to next year and a different game (Beatles?) is filling in the game 3 slot.

Since Stern is going to be pressing Deadpool pretty hard for the next month or two I don’t think we’ll more till the end of the year.

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

Nurge posted:

Jesus christ what happened to the pinball thread? Can't keep politics out of anything.
Pinball is an inherently political game and if you can't recognize that then you're part of the problem.

In more serious news, I've been enjoying Junkyard. It's a great fit for Zen because even the base game feels very videogamey. This one took me by surprise because I had never seen this table in the wild before.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

Pinball is an inherently political game and if you can't recognize that then you're part of the problem.

In more serious news, I've been enjoying Junkyard. It's a great fit for Zen because even the base game feels very videogamey. This one took me by surprise because I had never seen this table in the wild before.

Come to Portland. There's at least one Junkyard table per suburb.

Aug 2, 2000

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Come to Portland. There's at least one Junkyard table per suburb.
Actually I am visiting Portland next month. What are the best pinball places?

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Actually I am visiting Portland next month. What are the best pinball places?

Quarterworld and Ground Kontrol, for sure. My Father's Place also has good selection, but it's more of a bar than a barcade. I hear C-Bar is nice, but I haven't had a chance to check it out yet. http://cbarportland.com/

There's also a new Pinball Museum in Beaverton, but I think they're in limited hours until next year.
http://nextlevelpinballmuseum.com/

Besides that, get the Pinball Maps app on your phone and load the Portland region. If you're looking for a particular machine, it'll give you directions and most of the time someone knowledgeable has been there and described how well the table plays.

content
Feb 13, 2014

Belmont Hotel, C-Bar, Scoreboard, Apex, Bare Bones Bar, MFP... honestly, just go to SE and open pinball map. It’s great.

Aug 2, 2000

Move over Whoa Nellie, the pinball license people really want is coming Switch.
https://youtu.be/s3iIAf68m7M

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Move over Whoa Nellie, the pinball license people really want is coming Switch.
https://youtu.be/s3iIAf68m7M

gently caress this entire earth

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

It's not, and I don't really give a poo poo what your problem is. I just like banging balls around. I looked at the new TPA packs on steam and sadly most of them have tables I already own. I'm going to just buy tables individually I guess. It looks like they put out a couple of older tables since I played last though, which is awesome. I love EM tables.

Going to give fish tales on PFX3 a try I guess since it's free. Maybe the physics system is better than I remember, but it just felt extremely unlike real tables last time.

VVV--My bad.

Nurge fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Oct 12, 2018

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Nurge posted:

It's not, and I don't really give a poo poo what your problem is.

I think he was being sarcastic.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Nurge posted:

It's not, and I don't really give a poo poo what your problem is.

:thejoke:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Whoa, Nellie! is about the abuses of capitalism