Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Stark Fist posted:

Have you looked at Pathos: Nethack Codex? Nethack is too intimidating for me but Pathos claims to be an homage with enough in game documentation to winnable without spoilers. I've enjoyed the first few floors so far, but I have little idea about how it compares to Nethack.

It's definitely good, especially with the addition of races like Fairy and classes like Pirate though it's bizarre that it kinda hides those classes under the Custom button. The interface is amazingly nice and the tile set is okay. It has some issues with balance but yeah it's very fun.

I just kinda wish it supported a "vanilla NetHack" mode with that interface.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

do wins with apparitions even count? because lol talk about carrying a run

defect down. now i try silent in earnest

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA
Starward Rogue (and other Arcen games I think?) is currently on an extremely steep 80% discount, if you haven't picked it up yet. I just bought it and did a run through on normal, not super hard but quite fun. Music is hella dope, if limited. Probably worth picking up for $3.50 or whatever the exact price was.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee

Synthbuttrange posted:

real life is the ultimate roguelike.

I hosed up my build.

I have this odd fascination with eating my enemies. Somehow that doesn't endear me to the police. Silence of the Lambs RL.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Every game is an RPG.

Mario? Role playing as a guy trying to get princess.

Madden? Roleplaying being a football player.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Harminoff posted:

Every game is an RPG.

Mario? Role playing as a guy trying to get princess.

Madden? Roleplaying being a football player.

I roleplay as the Z block in Tetris all the time.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

If we can somehow prove that a roguelike is a sandwich we'll finally be going places!

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Synthbuttrange posted:

real life is the ultimate roguelike.

I hosed up my build.

:same:

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

I have the internet AND a keyboard now, so: Haque, I'm really fond of it.

I think the controls are very solid, and it's the kind of game that's not afraid to make some big changes to gameplay style based on what weapon you're holding. It's also got the Rogue Legacy thing going on where every run starts with a choice between three characters. Each character has a race, class, pet, and starting loadout, and each of them are pretty meaty as well.

In fact, I took some screenshots entirely to illustrate this bit of the game (sorry if I'm stepping on Too Shy Guy's toes here, but I'ma do it anyway)

Here's Revel Ruffrost, an Eagle Sorcerer:

You can see their starting stats here, which I think are the same for all Eagles aside from HP and MP, and of course all Eagles get a move that lets them fly short distances.

(Incidentally, there's a CRT filter here, and I have Screen Filth set at low, but noticable. Probably would have beena good idea to get CLEAR screenshots, but it's too late now!)

And here's little Sydney's stats:

The lightning bolt to the left indicates a trait that makes Revel have more MP and higher elemental affinities, and the skull on the right indicates that they are a Sorcerer, which is this game's term for a necromancer that's also good at other magical abilities:

The little circles down at the bottom indicate that he starts with some healing items, an Oak Staff for firing magical blasts, and his zombie summoning ability. One can look at his equipment as well:

Pretty standard stuff here, but he does have a one-handed spear and a shield, in case you wanted to get more in the thick of things. Eagles aren't particularly defensive, but your spear and flight means you've got a strong positioning game, and I've beaten the game as a melee Eagle before, so it's far from impossible.

I can think of a handful of reasons why one wouldn't care for this game, but if you want a basic but entertaining roguelike with Cool Abilities, Haque's the way to go.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Big Mad Drongo posted:

If we can somehow prove that a roguelike is a sandwich we'll finally be going places!

A roguelike is a chili.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
Roguelikes are pizza.

This is because there are no pizza rules and thus I can declare anything a pizza variant. Roguelikes also have variants, so it checks out.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Prism posted:

Roguelikes are pizza.

This is because there are no pizza rules and thus I can declare anything a pizza variant. Roguelikes also have variants, so it checks out.

This is true, and a pizza is an open-face tomato and cheese sandwich, which means I ate a roguelike for lunch.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

A roguelike is a chili.

Chili is a crustless meat pizza, so this checks out as well.

tombom
Mar 8, 2006
Purely out of curiosity, which roguelikes have the most ridiculous number of class/race combinations? I presume most of them are extremely janky and busted and/or abandoned angband variants. Was inspired by looking at the unbelievable weird jank of Slash 'EM Extended which, as well as boasting of 123 player roles (including at least 2 that can have sex with monsters) and 166 races, also boasts of "386 trap types" for some reason. Bloatcrawl and frogcomposband are also pretty up there, at least of the still maintained ones.

Vertigon
May 22, 2016

Subtlety is overrated.

Twobirds posted:

I really like it, I had just been thinking the worlds needs a modern Autoduel. I mostly tooled around in a combat zone, but I noticed that if I got into a backwards slide I'd just keep moving until I actually accelerated in any direction. I figured I ought to lose speed even without doing anything.

Thanks! Updated the skid model, so now you can push against a skid and influence your speed and travel speed. There is a "Hazard" level that depletes if you try manuevering though, so that limits how much drift control you have. New build is out there now.

Some deets...

Check out the update.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

tombom posted:

Was inspired by looking at the unbelievable weird jank of Slash 'EM Extended which, as well as boasting of 123 player roles (including at least 2 that can have sex with monsters) and 166 races

:catstare:

I haven't kept up with Slash'Em for a while but Jesus Christ

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

I hadn't heard of Bloatcrawl before. I admit, I chuckled at Profound Elves.

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

People in this thread might also be interested: I wrote a bit about map generation in the game spider wisdom and I are developing, Escape from Aeon.
Didn't go super-deep (partly because our system isn't that special)

I wish there were more hours in the day so that I could spend even more time digging into this rabbit hole.

We also just updated our demo a week ago so check it out if it sounds interesting.
Since then I've mostly been working on adding controller support and thinking if it would be viable to try to fill the traditional roguelike niche on consoles

Kobold Sex Tape
Feb 17, 2011

precision posted:

that's not Slash'Em, it's a Slash'EM variant made by noted crazy lady AmyBSOD. She's obsessed with shoes so like half the new classes she added start with highly detailed high heels and have special messages for kicking things to death with them. She also made a ToME2 variant that she abandoned pretty quickly, but not before adding unique monsters that are just sentient named shoes. Also she added herself as a god you can worship.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
That all sounds extremely normal and healthy lmao

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

precision posted:

I find it amusing that we have a fork now named, if you crack open the acronyms, Super Lotsa Added Stuff Hack, Extended Magic, Extended.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Kobold Sex Tape posted:

that's not Slash'Em, it's a Slash'EM variant made by noted crazy lady AmyBSOD. She's obsessed with shoes so like half the new classes she added start with highly detailed high heels and have special messages for kicking things to death with them. She also made a ToME2 variant that she abandoned pretty quickly, but not before adding unique monsters that are just sentient named shoes. Also she added herself as a god you can worship.

I didn't know this, but it explains why this version has Shoe as a playable race

You can also be a Gelatinous Cube Politician or a Mould Noble

Cool Dad fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Oct 16, 2018

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Kobold Sex Tape posted:

Also she added herself as a god you can worship.

TBH if I modded a game I would do this, but it would be a joke god that forced a full clear or something equally absurd.

Kobold Sex Tape
Feb 17, 2011

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

I didn't know this, but it explains why this version has Shoe as a playable race

You can also be a Gelatinous Cube Politician or a Mould Noble

my favorite stupid new race is the Segfaulter, which makes monsters attack with segfault venom that corrupts your save data beyond repair. truly a revolutionary idea

e: there's new traps too check it out

"captcha trap - Triggering it while not already under its effect causes the captcha condition that displays as "You sometimes have to solve captchas." on the enlightenment screen, and every once in a while the player will have to solve a captcha. Failure to do so will reduce the maximum HP and Pw and paralyze the character for a few turns."

"quiz trap - Triggering it while not already under its effect causes the quiz condition that displays as "You have to partake in the Great NetHack Quiz." on the enlightenment screen, and every once in a while the game will give you a NetHack-related question that you have to answer correctly. If the wrong answer is given, you suffer from a random bad effect."

these actually rule

Kobold Sex Tape fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Oct 16, 2018

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
captcha trap more like trapcha

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Kobold Sex Tape posted:

high heeled shoe attacks are also the (only?) weakness of Cthulhu who replaces the High Priest of Moloch at the bottom of Moloch's Sanctum

e: AmyBSOD also made a variant of Tome2 (itself an Angband variant) where she added the high-level Manastorm spell to a few random town npcs just to add the thrill of random instadeaths to the game

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

e: AmyBSOD also made a variant of Tome2 (itself an Angband variant) where she added the high-level Manastorm spell to a few random town npcs just to add the thrill of random instadeaths to the game

There's a Rocketband variant of Angband where literally every monster spell is replaced by firing a rocket that does IIRC something like 1000 HP (in a game where only super high-level warriors can get that much HP). The compensation is that the player also starts the game with a rocket launcher. It was released as an April Fools joke.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

There's a Rocketband variant of Angband where literally every monster spell is replaced by firing a rocket that does IIRC something like 1000 HP (in a game where only super high-level warriors can get that much HP). The compensation is that the player also starts the game with a rocket launcher. It was released as an April Fools joke.

Are there any RLs out there that do the one-hit-for-everyone mode? Devil May Cry calls it Heaven Or Hell, everything is dead at the first instance of taking damage.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
There are I think a few 7drls with that mechanic

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

There's a rocket launcher for everybody unlock in streets of rogue, too.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

madjackmcmad posted:

Are there any RLs out there that do the one-hit-for-everyone mode? Devil May Cry calls it Heaven Or Hell, everything is dead at the first instance of taking damage.

It's not really a mode but that one Arcen robot game that comes up from time to time pretty quickly turns into that.

hito
Feb 13, 2012

Thank you, kids. By giving us this lift you're giving a lift to every law-abiding citizen in the world.
Darren Grey loves to design one-HP roguelikes. I think the most iconic is probably Toby the Trapper. There's no steam page or anything to link to, so here's a review and here's the direct download link to the zip file.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

madjackmcmad posted:

DoomRL comes pretty close with Angel of Max Carnage - all die rolls are maximum. I generally found it harder than the regular game on the lower difficulties, but easier on the higher ones.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Always wanted to make an ADOM mod called Agonizing Demises of Murder that just cranks up the most poorly designed parts to maximum

Starting with two super-drowning magic rusting rivers EVERY goddamn floor, and Ancient Chaos Wyrm replacing every single boss

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

yoo toxic egg + apparitions :aaa: carry me baby

edit: carry complete. silent victory achieved. got my poison up to 166 on time eater on the last turn.

Awesome! fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Oct 17, 2018

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

It sucks most of the challenge games in ADOM are no longer possible because of various bugs being fixed.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

dis astranagant posted:

It's not really a mode but that one Arcen robot game that comes up from time to time pretty quickly turns into that.

Bionic Dues involves a lot of rocket tag, yeah, but it's not explicitly one-hit-kills on both sides. Oftentimes a substantial part of the challenge is figuring out how to safely deal with an enemy when you can't kill it in one shot. The ninja exo can attack from stealth but its most powerful starting weapon (a welding laser) needs IIRC three hits to kill most bots. And there are bots that won't kill you when they hit you, though most bots either can one-hit-kill or only deal nuisance damage plus some irritating effect like stealing ammo.

MicRogue is one-hit-kills though. If you move onto an enemy's square, you'll kill them, and if they move onto yours, then they kill you. There's a mild exception if you have a shield and they attack from the direction the shield's pointing in (in which case the shield breaks instead), but in my experience that's rarely a factor.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Lost character #2 in Dungeonmans (a Wizardmans) due either to a Lizardmans who could do melee damage from two tiles away or my own inability to read the perspective in the game :( I rolled a Dungeonmans for my next character but the default Wizardmans class felt really strong, I kind of wish I had just re-rolled a magic user instead. What's the pro magic build for this game?

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

TOOT BOOT posted:

It sucks most of the challenge games in ADOM are no longer possible because of various bugs being fixed.

Which challenge games are no longer possible? I see a lot of them as genuine achievements, and I'm MOSTLY sure that Archmage is still viable?

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

C-Euro posted:

Lost character #2 in Dungeonmans (a Wizardmans) due either to a Lizardmans who could do melee damage from two tiles away or my own inability to read the perspective in the game :( I rolled a Dungeonmans for my next character but the default Wizardmans class felt really strong, I kind of wish I had just re-rolled a magic user instead. What's the pro magic build for this game?

necromancy all day long

dungeonmans is just "put your starting points wherever you want", you can build any of the other classes from a dungeonmans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?
Necromancy and ranger together is basically cheating, hth.