Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Broken Record Talk posted:

Absolutely. Ashmantle is wearing the same armour that Cassian Dracos (a very cool Salamanders Dreadnought character with rules) first received from Vulkan during the 30k era, and a Chaplain Dread can just be used as a fancy Castraferrum Dreadnought; I have a whole Talon of them in my Sons of Horus army.

For some reason I thought Cassian was a contemptor but I just checked and I guess he doesn’t have atomantic shielding.

.....I might need to get an Ashmantle now. Cassian seems really fun as a ZM HQ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

tallkidwithglasses posted:

.....I might need to get an Ashmantle now. Cassian seems really fun as a ZM HQ.

He's real cool and I grabbed him before the big FW price hike, knowing Salamanders was down the road for me

Ghazk
May 11, 2007

I can see EVERYTHING
Alright, I need a fluff check.

The White Scars rite of war Sagyar Mazan represents White Scars that fell off the loyalist wagon, but returned to the light and seek absolution through suicide missions. In game terms, the force must be Loyalist, and it must be a shattered legion.

I envision a stormseer (WS librarian) that didn't really know what he was dealing with and got a little carried away. As a result, several members of his clan became physically corrupted by chaos. Upon finding out, his superiors were like, "that's hosed up, go Sagyar Mazan".

The stormseer and his corrupted clan would be Word Bearers on paper to fulfill the shattered legion requirement, and be Gal Vorbak in White Scars colors.

A little too far out there?

Any other legions make for a particularly fluffy pairing?

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.

Ghazk posted:

The stormseer and his corrupted clan would be Word Bearers on paper to fulfill the shattered legion requirement, and be Gal Vorbak in White Scars colors.

Yes.

Pair with some DA lutherloyalists-turned-lionloyalists.

RG would also work. Otherwise you could pair with some outcast NL, IW, DG.

DJ Dizzy fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Oct 17, 2018

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
:siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren::siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren:

I’m excited to announce the public release of Tactical Strike Plus (TS+).This project is the culmination of several years of development, design, and playtesting from the idiots within this thread. I’m so drat proud and grateful for the hours of hard work everyone put into the things that made TS+ possible- from the editing, formatting, testing, photography, and daily reminders for me to kill myself. Thanks goons!

You can visit our dedicated website to download the rules, leave feedback about the system, share your Strike Force, or send us a hate fueled message. Word of mouth is how this project started, so please share this with your Warhammer community and help us get the word out. Our only hope is that this supplement is enjoyable and that it inspires this community to continue playing, being inspired by, and being part of the Horus Heresy.

Here’s a short FAQ:

quote:

Q: What books do I need in order to play Tactical Strike Plus?
Tactical Strike Plus is a supplement based on The Horus Heresy: Age of Darkness rulebook. In order to play, you will need a copy of these rules and those for your army list.

Q: Which army lists are supported by Tactical Strike Plus?
Tactical Strike Plus supports factions from the Legiones Astartes, Crusade Imperialis, and Taghmata Ominissia army lists.

Q: What makes Tactical Strike Plus different from standard games?
Games usually last 30-45min. Unlike the base game, you challenge opponents before building your Strike Force. This means you can adjust your Rank & File depending on your Mission and who you are playing. Command Points make games more dynamic and can be used at any time to change the flow of the game. This makes outcomes less predictable as enemies can spend points to mitigate actions that didn’t go their way. A large part of the metagame is making opponents spend Command Points while generating your own. There's also an optional resource management and character progression system.

Q: What the standard sized army?
A typical Strike Force consists of 1 hero, up to 2 optional leaders, and between 10-25 other models. Tanks, dreadnoughts, monstrous creatures, and artillery are restricted to one model per Strike Force. Because Rank & File are picked before missions, it is possible for every model in a Strike Force besides the Hero and Leaders to change between missions!

Q: 8th edition when?
Next month… haha just kidding

never

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.

Ghazk posted:

The White Scars rite of war Sagyar Mazan represents White Scars that fell off the loyalist wagon, but returned to the light and seek absolution through suicide missions. In game terms, the force must be Loyalist, and it must be a shattered legion.

I envision a stormseer (WS librarian) that didn't really know what he was dealing with and got a little carried away. As a result, several members of his clan became physically corrupted by chaos. Upon finding out, his superiors were like, "that's hosed up, go Sagyar Mazan".

Unless I’m really misunderstanding what you’re doing, that isn’t possible within the rules; quite simply, NO Loyalist Word Bearers exist in the rules (if they’re Word Bearers, they automatically become Traitors) - so you couldn’t actually run them with Loyalist White Scars.

My best off-the-cuff suggestion is do the “Chaosy” guys as Thousand Suns buffed up with Biomancy BS, to represent the taint of the Warp. Plus, their “Oh poo poo, everyone taking a Pinning Test!” rule could represent the Librarian(s) being in over their heads and causing mayhem.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

BULBASAUR posted:

:siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren::siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren:

I’m excited to announce the public release of Tactical Strike Plus (TS+).This project is the culmination of several years of development, design, and playtesting from the idiots within this thread. I’m so drat proud and grateful for the hours of hard work everyone put into the things that made TS+ possible- from the editing, formatting, testing, photography, and daily reminders for me to kill myself. Thanks goons!

You can visit our dedicated website to download the rules, leave feedback about the system, share your Strike Force, or send us a hate fueled message. Word of mouth is how this project started, so please share this with your Warhammer community and help us get the word out. Our only hope is that this supplement is enjoyable and that it inspires this community to continue playing, being inspired by, and being part of the Horus Heresy.

Here’s a short FAQ:

Hell yes bruther

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Unless I’m really misunderstanding what you’re doing, that isn’t possible within the rules; quite simply, NO Loyalist Word Bearers exist in the rules (if they’re Word Bearers, they automatically become Traitors) - so you couldn’t actually run them with Loyalist White Scars.

My best off-the-cuff suggestion is do the “Chaosy” guys as Thousand Suns buffed up with Biomancy BS, to represent the taint of the Warp. Plus, their “Oh poo poo, everyone taking a Pinning Test!” rule could represent the Librarian(s) being in over their heads and causing mayhem.

It's posts like this and the one it's responding to that make HH fascinating to me.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

No contemptors in TS+ makes me sad but I'll deal with it

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Box dreads are still pretty nasty in TS+

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Hixson posted:

Box dreads are still pretty nasty in TS+

Box dreads are pretty nasty (looking)

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Some of our guys run contemptors as box dreads, so they still look cool, but aren't too crazy strong

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

Tactical strike + looks pretty good so far, I wonder if you had a look at the Mournival version? They add in build your own characters, which could be an interesting idea. I think what you have done is very good and well considered, and having played and enjoyed Kill-Team, making a 30k version of it is awesome.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I haven’t seen the Mournival version, but I’ve seen the Mournival character builder and I really like that idea. One fundamental difference is that we’ve tied everything into existing rules, so if they get updated TS+ remains current. The character builder is awesome, but it will need to get updated with every release from FW.

The main thing I hope to do for 3.0 is to tie TS into regular games of 30k (so you have characters that can run missions before a 30k game to determine things like who goes first, where to place objectives, etc.) but I’d love to add a character builder too.

e: extremely cool, thanks for sharing v

BULBASAUR fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Oct 18, 2018

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

It's well worth joining the Mournival group on facebook just for pictures of the "kill teams" they have for their campaign.

xutech fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Oct 18, 2018

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Are people talking poo poo about box dreads in here?????? :c00lbert:

xutech posted:

It's well worth joining the Mournival group on facebook just for pictures of the "kill teams" they have for their campaign.
We read through their stuff the other day. Man, their balance changes and custom units are a loving riot.

"Special Rule: Balanced"

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Do y’all know if the ironclad mk iv chainfist will fit on regular mk ivs without looking dumb? I’m looking at boxy bros now and assault cannon/chainfist seems fun.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

we had it coming.

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Do y’all know if the ironclad mk iv chainfist will fit on regular mk ivs without looking dumb? I’m looking at boxy bros now and assault cannon/chainfist seems fun.

Yes, it will fit the standard MkIV Dread; they’re basically exactly the same model, in terms of that stuff.

You playing Blood Angels?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Yes, it will fit the standard MkIV Dread; they’re basically exactly the same model, in terms of that stuff.

You playing Blood Angels?

Imperial Fists, but I was going to do some Blood Angels at some point to make a Siege of Terra themed army.

Ghazk
May 11, 2007

I can see EVERYTHING

Ah missed that bit. It is a bit of a dealbreaker.

TS would be a fluffy choice too, I think the two Legions were pretty close.

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

Safety Factor posted:

Are people talking poo poo about box dreads in here?????? :c00lbert:

We read through their stuff the other day. Man, their balance changes and custom units are a loving riot.

"Special Rule: Balanced"

I don't live in their area and I'm not connected to the group, but I have met and played 30k with some of those guys and they seem pretty reasonable and nice. If you have honest criticisms I think they would appreciate you sending them feedback about their units and balance - sometimes even having a large pool of testers etc can still blind you to things an outsider can spot.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

we had it coming.

xutech posted:

If you have honest criticisms I think they would appreciate you sending them feedback about their units and balance - sometimes even having a large pool of testers etc can still blind you to things an outsider can spot.

That’s good to hear, I think the consensus on the Slack was that we liked some of the individual units, and the overall effort, but some of the units were just insane collections of special rules (including one with the aforementioned BALANCED special rule) coupled with low point costs that were uh... completely ridiculous.

Always god to hear that people are chill and earnestly trying to make the game more fun.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

That’s good to hear, I think the consensus on the Slack was that we liked some of the individual units, and the overall effort, but some of the units were just insane collections of special rules (including one with the aforementioned BALANCED special rule) coupled with low point costs that were uh... completely ridiculous.

Always god to hear that people are chill and earnestly trying to make the game more fun.

Can I get a link? I want to read those character creation rules.

Some of the new units were insane conceptually, like a possessed blank.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Lol which one of you is this

https://twitter.com/GamesWerkshop/status/1052872764728721408

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Ghazk posted:

Fluffwise the White Scars would collectively poo poo a brick if they found out.

If it's a bunch of corrupted legionaries that decided to scamper off, then anything goes.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

lol! Look at the name, it says Games Werkshop, not Games Workshop.

Would have been funny for GW to throw FW under the bus.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Mango Polo posted:

lol! Look at the name, it says Games Werkshop, not Games Workshop.

Would have been funny for GW to throw FW under the bus.

So you then

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

no, the 40k thread will confirm that I'm just the idiot who keeps getting fooled by that twitter though :(

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I don't know why you would expect quality or good decisions from Forge World, the people who decided to go all in on a lame Death Korps of Krieg model line instead of a Savlar Chem Dog line

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Guy Goodbody posted:

I don't know why you would expect quality or good decisions from Forge World, the people who decided to go all in on a lame Death Korps of Krieg model line instead of a Savlar Chem Dog line

mods

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

we had it coming.

Seriously, MODS!!!

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I wish Rotor Cannons weren't so loving bad, they're the coolest looking underslung weapons in the whole range.

Stanyer89
Aug 4, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

Please leave and never come back.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Guy Goodbody posted:

Agreed

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Death Korps of Krieg
-lame sad boys
-just wanna die
-gas masks only have one tube
-they all look the same because they have no personality

Savlar Chem Dogs
-cool criminals
-legally allowed to loot the dead of both sides
-gas masks have as many tubes as can fit
-each one is unique based on gear looted from the dead and number of tubes.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Guy Goodbody posted:

Death Korps of Krieg
-lame sad boys
-just wanna die

Savlar Chem Dogs
-cool criminals

I love playing these armies in 30k

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Guy Goodbody posted:

Death Korps of Krieg
-lame sad boys
-just wanna die

Savlar Chem Dogs
-cool criminals

Honestly this checks out.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

we had it coming.
Guy Goodbody
- Seriously bad poster
- Likes anime (a capital crime ITT)
- Rap sheet a mile long, and none of it is for anything even remotely cool
- Does not, in fact, have a good body

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Guy Goodbody posted:

Death Korps of Krieg
-lame sad boys
-just wanna die

Savlar Chem Dogs
-cool criminals

Tfw when he’s right and you know it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Guy Goodbody
- Seriously bad poster
- Likes anime (a capital crime ITT)
- Rap sheet a mile long, and none of it is for anything even remotely cool
- Does not, in fact, have a good body

This is a compelling counter argument. I need to think on this now.