Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

Torrannor posted:

This is a steal, they are each over 1000 pages long.

This is definitely how I base my judgements on art

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Phobeste posted:

Over a 1000 pages that I thoroughly enjoyed.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Phobeste posted:

Sometimes you pay $9.99 for 300 pages of good book.

So in this case you’re paying $9 for 3000 pages of good books, which comparatively is 90% off.

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender
Can y'all stop ragging on WoT, I'm trying to reread it over here so I can get to the Sanderson tomes :v: (yes...there's a reason...it's not great, on balance. But I need some cheesy known-quality escapism these days.)

It's funny, reading the early books with some foreknowledge, seeing foreshadowing or even basic "show one thing, tell another" techniques that I plumb straight missed the first few times (which were, admittedly, many years ago).

On the other hand, knowing some of the reveals/twists but not the details ("one of these Aes Sedai you wouldn't guess is a Darkfriend, is a Darkfriend!!!" - except I can't remember exactly which one anymore) is a little maddening.

Also, boy howdy is Jordan really bad/obvious at naming poo poo. Shai'tan/Ba'alzemon instead of Satan/Beelzebub, Trolloc tribes/symbols (Dha'vol == devil, Dhai'mon = demon, Ko'bol == kobold, Ahf'frait == ifrit, etc etc), and all of the really painful faux-Japanese/Chinese terminology. And just, yanno. All the apostrophes. 90s-era SFF at its best!

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Actually tempted to do a WoT reread too, even tough I know the ups and downs by now.
Currently re-reading the Dune series and I forgot how it goes down after Godemperor.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
On this reread I am realizing two things.
A- Egwene has no character growth beyond wanting power and knowledge.
B- I used to hate elayne and nynaeve, but now I realize their characters at least grow and change. They learn. Egwene is like super Jesus but didn't have to work for it at all and nothing ever goes wrong for her.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

bitprophet posted:

Also, boy howdy is Jordan really bad/obvious at naming poo poo. Shai'tan/Ba'alzemon instead of Satan/Beelzebub, Trolloc tribes/symbols (Dha'vol == devil, Dhai'mon = demon, Ko'bol == kobold, Ahf'frait == ifrit, etc etc), and all of the really painful faux-Japanese/Chinese terminology. And just, yanno. All the apostrophes. 90s-era SFF at its best!

There's a reason he intentionally has all those familiar names and cultural references, and the fact that it's hiding behind the plausible explanation of it just being lazy 90s SFF writing makes it kind of clever.

Jorenko
Jun 6, 2004

I think you're just mad 'cause you're single.

RC Cola posted:

On this reread I am realizing two things.
A- Egwene has no character growth beyond wanting power and knowledge.
B- I used to hate elayne and nynaeve, but now I realize their characters at least grow and change. They learn. Egwene is like super Jesus but didn't have to work for it at all and nothing ever goes wrong for her.

I feel like being enslaved and literally treated like a dog was a bit of hardship for Egwene. Not to mention everything she had to do to liberate the tower. I'll agree she didn't grow nearly as much as a person as she did in magic power, but to imply nothing ever went badly for her is overlooking a lot.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Jorenko posted:

I feel like being enslaved and literally treated like a dog was a bit of hardship for Egwene. Not to mention everything she had to do to liberate the tower. I'll agree she didn't grow nearly as much as a person as she did in magic power, but to imply nothing ever went badly for her is overlooking a lot.

There's still like a whole 8 books in a row where absolutely nothing goes wrong and she just gets more power and knowledge poured on her

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Jorenko posted:

Let me spoiler this but Rand goes insane, loses his vision, loses a hand, has most of the world trying to kill him. He finds peace and becomes Jesus. Egwene acts like he's some farmboy still that she can control when every other main character tells her that Rand is fine and she should listen to him. If she can become Amrylin and order people around and pull puppet strings, maybe she can accept that someone else from her village can have known something of the world. Especially when he is proven prophesied Jesus.
Elayne is berated by Mat and Birgette and comes to realize that she was acting like a spoiled brat and grew. Nynaeve realized her own issues and found inner peace and stopped being overbearing to everyone.
It's like Jordan shoe horned her into power. 'look how strong willed she is, she just berates anyone who she talks to and they obey her. Wow isn't she powerful? '
I get what you're saying, but she just gets so stubborn and self righteous all of the time. She lies to the wise ones and its all 'okay forgiven, you're so great' which is how Aiel work, but again. It lets her get away with being a trash person. She's someone I could see turning to the dark one for power of everything didn't magically go her way all of the time. Her death felt like a cop out way to try and make her comparable to Rand. She is talented at everything that you can be talented at besides making angreal and ter'angreal. It makes sense for Rand who is the reincarnation of the strongest most talented person who ever lived that is prophesied to save the world.
If you're going to do that, make Egwene taveran and have some prophecies about her too.

This was my longest phone post. I think Egwene and Gawyn are the only characters I dislike from book 3 onwards.

RC Cola fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Oct 31, 2018

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Funny because Egwene is like one of the few characters I actually like in this whole series. Only 2 Chapters left of Book #7.

Mostly minor spoilers about each character's perspective, rather than events of the book:

I understand why most of the characters feel the way they do about their positions, but that doesn't make Rand "I don't want to kill everyone" Al'Thor an enjoyable character to read*. I don't enjoy Perrin "I don't want to talk to wolves" Aybara. I don't enjoy Matrim "I don't want to be involved" Cauthon. Stubborn rear end Nynaeve is the worst of them all.

So to have Egwene be like, "I get to be a wizard? gently caress yea!" is so refreshing.

For real though, why does everyone say Mat is the best? Is it because they just like imaging themselves in his shoes getting laid a lot? Because to me his whole character is just like, "No I don't want to be involved. Leave me alone. Oh god I accidentally saved the day. Can I go dance with girls now?" so he's equally compelling as everyone else (read: not very). I would think that by now I should see some intriguing characteristics based on how everyone seems to love him so much, but...

Could you imagine if in Oathbringer Kaladin was still like, "My powers are a curse to make me survive and continue suffering"? Yeesh.

* I do actually enjoy reading Rand's descent into madness as he argues with the voice in his head. I forget the name of the town in Book 6 where someone brings him a seal and before he knows what he's doing it's raised above his head and he's ready to smash it on the ground - that was a super cool scene. But the rest of the time when he's just a mopey putz I want to shoot myself.

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Oct 31, 2018

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Sab669 posted:

Funny because Egwene is like one of the few characters I actually like in this whole series. Only 2 Chapters left of Book #7.

Mostly minor spoilers about each character's perspective, rather than events of the book:

I understand why most of the characters feel the way they do about their positions, but that doesn't make Rand "I don't want to kill everyone" Al'Thor an enjoyable character to read*. I don't enjoy Perrin "I don't want to talk to wolves" Aybara. I don't enjoy Matrim "I don't want to be involved" Cauthon. Stubborn rear end Nynaeve is the worst of them all.

So to have Egwene be like, "I get to be a wizard? gently caress yea!" is so refreshing.

For real though, why does everyone say Mat is the best? Is it because they just like imaging themselves in his shoes getting laid a lot? Because to me his whole character is just like, "No I don't want to be involved. Leave me alone. Oh god I accidentally saved the day. Can I go dance with girls now?" so he's equally compelling as everyone else (read: not very). I would think that by now I should see some intriguing characteristics based on how everyone seems to love him so much, but...

Could you imagine if in Oathbringer Kaladin was still like, "My powers are a curse to make me survive and continue suffering"? Yeesh.

* I do actually enjoy reading Rand's descent into madness as he argues with the voice in his head. I forget the name of the town in Book 6 where someone brings him a seal and before he knows what he's doing it's raised above his head and he's ready to smash it on the ground - that was a super cool scene. But the rest of the time when he's just a mopey putz I want to shoot myself.

Is it Taim who brings him the seals? Just wait. Egwene is okay until about book 8. Perrin is good in 4 and 6 and gets worse until book 11. Then he gets good. Mat imo is better on a read through once you know what's going on. But Mat's arc gets better and better as he embraces his destiny. Nynaeve also picks up. I think it's book 8 and beyond where she becomes a good character. Rand's Decent into madness is one of the best written parts of the series imo.
By book 14 if Mat isn't your favorite character, I don't know what to tell you.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire
Wheel of Time is good. But it's long, and it drags in the middle, and it's got a million tropes (because it created half of them). It is absolutely worth reading but even its biggest fans admit it has flaws.

But this is the Sanderson thread and we are all spoiled by his amazing books so going from Sanderson first to Wheel of Time feels like a huge step backwards. To everyone reading WoT for the first time, carry on. There are a ton of absolutely great parts that are just as incredible as the Sanderson climax moments. Please don't give up because people are trashing it for its flaws. WoT is good poo poo. Enjoy.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Tahirovic posted:

Actually tempted to do a WoT reread too, even tough I know the ups and downs by now.
Currently re-reading the Dune series and I forgot how it goes down after Godemperor.

There is no Dune series.

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

SynthesisAlpha posted:

Wheel of Time is good.
I do want to second this. As long as one goes into it knowing it's got some cheesy elements/writing and some pacing issues, it's certainly worth getting a few books deep to try it out. I wouldn't be committing to such a long read if I didn't think it'd be worth my (wheel of :haw:) time.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Taffer posted:

There is no Dune series.

God Emperor of Dune is the best book in the series. Sadly, the series is unfinished because Herbert died before writing the sequel to Chapterhouse: Dune.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

bitprophet posted:

I wouldn't be committing to such a long read if I didn't think it'd be worth my (wheel of :haw:) time.

Conversely I'm just a sucker and can't escape my own sunk cost fallacy :v: Also there just isn't anything that I really want to read right now.

I think the series is OK, but to me it's kind of like playing one of the modern Deus Ex video games, and then unplugging your mouse and playing the original Deus Ex using the default key maps where the game assigns like Zoom to [ or something archaic like that. The original is a good game, but new games do similar stuff better because a lot of kinks have just been ironed out as people agree upon better ways to do certain things.

Really I just need to switch to audio books. Speaking of which, does anyone know why Audible splits a chapter up into multiple files? my ebook for Crown of Swords is 41 chapters, but the audiobook is 43 chapters - so it's a pain in the rear end to synchronize my progress across multiple formats. I know some of the Sanderson audibooks are like this, too.

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Oct 31, 2018

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART

Torrannor posted:

God Emperor of Dune is the best book in the series. Sadly, the series is unfinished because Herbert died before writing the sequel to Chapterhouse: Dune.

I agree with this. I really enjoyed God Emperor, and the premise fascinated me. What a massive poo poo the series takes after that though...

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Torrannor posted:

I need to re-read Dune through God Emperor. I last read it when I was a teenager and didn't enjoy God Emperor at all and stopped afterwards.

enigma105
Mar 16, 2004

His record...it's over 9-7!!!

RC Cola posted:

Is it Taim who brings him the seals? Just wait. Egwene is okay until about book 8. Perrin is good in 4 and 6 and gets worse until book 11. Then he gets good. Mat imo is better on a read through once you know what's going on. But Mat's arc gets better and better as he embraces his destiny. Nynaeve also picks up. I think it's book 8 and beyond where she becomes a good character. Rand's Decent into madness is one of the best written parts of the series imo.
By book 14 if Mat isn't your favorite character, I don't know what to tell you.

I think Egwene gets awesome in book 11. Another standout party of the series is her one chapter. It just put her on crash course with Rand and we know more than she does. I like her reaction to being captured and controlled in book 11 is not to have PTSD from book 2 but to figure out how to use the situation. It's nice that it wasn't another "I must become hard" thing since we've send Rand get worse every time.

She is explicitly calling back to her time being trained by the Aiel and the training with Siuan and using that education without access to the One Power.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

enigma105 posted:

I think Egwene gets awesome in book 11. Another standout party of the series is her one chapter. It just put her on crash course with Rand and we know more than she does. I like her reaction to being captured and controlled in book 11 is not to have PTSD from book 2 but to figure out how to use the situation. It's nice that it wasn't another "I must become hard" thing since we've send Rand get worse every time.

She is explicitly calling back to her time being trained by the Aiel and the training with Siuan and using that education without access to the One Power.

11 is cool, but it's another instance of her having everyone bend to her will because she's ~awesome~

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Yeah, it doesn't hurt that her counterpart was going beyond comic book/captain planet evil in her authoritarian flights of fancy.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

OAquinas posted:

Yeah, it doesn't hurt that her counterpart was going beyond comic book/captain planet evil in her authoritarian flights of fancy.

On my reread I got to Fain coming to the tower. I like to think that him showing up spread some of shadar logath into the tower and compounded any issues and personality faults in the tower. It makes more sense when I view it through that lens.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

RC Cola posted:

On my reread I got to Fain coming to the tower. I like to think that him showing up spread some of shadar logath into the tower and compounded any issues and personality faults in the tower. It makes more sense when I view it through that lens.

Oh, absolutely. But consider that she got to where she was well before he showed up--the seeds and sprouts were well founded. He may have given it a metaphorical shove, but things were probably headed in that direction regardless.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

I need to re-read Dune through God Emperor. I last read it when I was a teenager and didn't enjoy God Emperor at all and stopped afterwards.

Didn't care for anything after the first book, honestly.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Currently at Egwene ignoring the wise ones and doing dream stuff anyways. Like in the age of legends should would be a friend of the dark. Wanting more power. More knowledge. She doesn't give a poo poo about anyone but herself.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Seeing a lot of Mistborn costumes online due to Halloween, and while a mistcloak might sound cool on paper, they always look like dogshit IRL. They look like you're wearing one of grandma's throw blankets or your bathrobe got caught in a paper shredder.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Basically, a mistcloak can only look good in flight. Which is why nearly all official artwork shows Vin or Kelsier mid-jump.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I saw one a few years back that really leaned into being a stylish ghillie suit

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Egwene is so cool and powerful. 'ha I nynaeve admitted to lying and apologizing. Now I'm going to be an rear end to her. Haha aren't I great? Look at my character development. Brb going to keep disobeying the wise ones and berating my friends for doing the same'
Haha nynaeve is such a mulehead liking Lan. Oh no now I'm going into gawyn's sex dreams about me. I'm so much better than OTHER women who think about men. I hope more power doesn't just fall into my lap with no consequences.

RC Cola fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Nov 4, 2018

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Tunicate posted:

I saw one a few years back that really leaned into being a stylish ghillie suit

Exactly. Like everything its about adapting the concept into something that actually looks good in person.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
There's a lot of characters in WoT, that are worse than Bela.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

M_Gargantua posted:

Thats kind of what Arcanum unbound is. Side stories that cover a lot of the behind the scenes stuff.

My enjoyment of all the books effectively doubled once I read AU, since now there were all sorts of neat behind-the-scenes things that made even more connections (and I enjoy that sort of thing.)

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Finally finished Crown of Swords. Read up to the last chapter then threw on the audibook. I guess I missed it - how did Sammael die?

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

In yet another audio-book re-listen to the WoT, I'm starting TSR and I'd really forgotten how comparatively fast some of these books are compared to later ones.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Sab669 posted:

Finally finished Crown of Swords. Read up to the last chapter then threw on the audibook. I guess I missed it - how did Sammael die?

Mashadar got him.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Torrannor posted:

Mashadar got him.

Even though I'm on the next book, I still had to look this up on the WoT fandom page wiki thingy, and I think I saw a spoiler about Shadar Logoth. :sigh:

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Even though I'm on the next book, I still had to look this up on the WoT fandom page wiki thingy, and I think I saw a spoiler about Shadar Logoth. :sigh:

:same:

I knew 'who dun it', but I didn't really get "how" so I looked up exactly what it was. I thought it was kind of a dumb ending, but I think my less-than-glowing opinion of the series skews my judgement.

The prologue in Path of Daggers had cool parts though. I think switching to audiobooks was the right call; don't focus 100% and miss a lot still but at least I'll get through it in a reasonable amount of time.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Hi all I saw this dude has a new book out and its 1200 pages long and what the gently caress could a 1200 page book possibly be about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I'm very sorry. :(

Just ask for a longer explanation in here next time.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Hi all I saw this dude has a new book out and its 1200 pages long and what the gently caress could a 1200 page book possibly be about

It's Epic Fantasy, so it's about humans and non humans and gods and magic and war etc.