Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

You can try a random non-Joppa start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordecai
May 18, 2003

Known throughout the world! Chop people's head off to the ground! Angry eyes that frighten people! Dragon among humans, king of dragons... Manchurian Derp Deity, Ha Che'er.
If you find stairs in a non-story area, you can enter the underground for procedural dungeon diving.

To lower the risk of death as you learn, try a very defensive build with stuff like carapace, sleep gas, force wall, and mental mirror.

Mordecai fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Nov 10, 2018

AttackTheMoon
Jul 4, 2015

I finally feel like I got this game to click for me

Playing a two headed corpse eating axe wielding marauder with two hearts of gold named Ogre Thirteen (1-12 died very quickly), I managed to find out what was eating Joppa's crops, bring it back, and become the somewhat loved monster of the town. After the screaming preacher told me to go north, I managed to do it with no drams to spare, eventually having to sell most of what I owned for water. A psychic tortoise drove me out of town, where I struggled for days with little to no water, eventually getting some decent items to sell back in town for water. Unfortunately the tortoises were still there, and even at half health one of the six took me down in one shot.

Rest in peace Ogre Thirteen

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

You should probably leave the pilgrimage quest until after you've done Argyve's starter quests. He's the guy in the hut in the southwest corner and he has two newbie quests before you sends you off on the main questline. They should give you another couple of levels.

You also shouldn't be so poor you barely have enough water to make it to the Stilt. Even with poo poo ego you can easily earn enough water to keep yourself alive by collecting and selling all the iron and steel weapons you find while doing the Red Rock quest. In fact you should make so much water doing by doing so that you will find it takes up too much of your weight capacity and trade most of it in for nuggets (the real currency).

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Nov 12, 2018

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
you mean knives

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Yeah short and long blades are by far the most weight-to-value efficient weapons; ignore axes and maces unless they're jewel-encrusted or slender/willowy or something. Nuggets are good poo poo early on but eventually you'll reach a point where you want to trade as many of your copper nuggets away as possible and just amass a few gems and some silver/gold nuggets as your nest egg, so you have more carry capacity for weird gadgets and useful bits and pieces.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
The real currency is bits, so you can just manifest laser rifles out of nowhere whenever you need to trade for something.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I am glad Bits don't take weight, because then I'd spend 90% of my playtime juggling inventory by the late game.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
what makes laser rifles the go-to moneymaker machine for tinkers

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Tollymain posted:

what makes laser rifles the go-to moneymaker machine for tinkers

I haven't done spreadsheets on this (not yet, anyways), so I can't tell you exactly where the bits:drams ratios come out the best or anything, they're just a very valuable item that uses the highest bits that are still relatively plentiful. Also they give a REALLY high Mechanimist rep bonus when sacrificed for some reason; I'm not sure if that relates 1:1 with the dram cost or if there's some kind of separate variable for things Mechanimists like more or less.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
you should be able to jump in the mechanimist well

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

and get rep points based on the value of the implants you have

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

why can't you make fake implants that you can sac for rep

like is someone at the bottom of the well, checking everything

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Just bring in a bunch of snapjaw corpses, to which you've crudely strapped a bunch of random metal trash, like the Borderlands psychos have. That counts as tech, right?

Mordecai
May 18, 2003

Known throughout the world! Chop people's head off to the ground! Angry eyes that frighten people! Dragon among humans, king of dragons... Manchurian Derp Deity, Ha Che'er.

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

why can't you make fake implants that you can sac for rep

like is someone at the bottom of the well, checking everything

Well they're Mech Animists, and a church in a video game, so they're probably actually quietly equipping an army.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Paint crayon a chest green and label it FREEZE GRENADE MkIII x30 and donate a box-o-rocks.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
it would make sense if the mechanimists had a secret armory but i really prefer the idea that everybodys dropping their artifacts down an oil well kinda thing

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Giving this game another go after developing more of a taste for this kind of game. Liberal Crime Squad's art style also brought me down this path.

Seems like this game would potentially benefit from a Goon Discord.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

There IS a Caves of Qud discord, although I have no idea how I joined it, and don't know how to give you the information you'd require to also join it.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Tollymain posted:

it would make sense if the mechanimists had a secret armory but i really prefer the idea that everybodys dropping their artifacts down an oil well kinda thing

bigass cavern on like level 600 that's just an infinite pile of shattered laser rifles and folding chairs

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Tollymain posted:

you mean knives

If you have decent strength you can loot just about every iron+ weapon you find doing Red Rock, no need to be picky. I'm trying to help out a guy who almost died of thirst getting to the Stiltgrounds here, not suggesting long-term pro loot strats.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Old Doggy Bastard posted:

Giving this game another go after developing more of a taste for this kind of game. Liberal Crime Squad's art style also brought me down this path.

Seems like this game would potentially benefit from a Goon Discord.

Stoca Zola posted:

There IS a Caves of Qud discord, although I have no idea how I joined it, and don't know how to give you the information you'd require to also join it.

https://discord.gg/D4T7Yc

Their moderation style is kind of awful (I once got threatened with a ban for saying that a mutation was really bad, instead of tripping over myself to make it clear this was just my subjective opinion) but at the same time a number of very knowledgeable people post there, and the community is friendly enough.

The roguelike discord has a somewhat more SA-like atmosphere, and covers a ton of games including Caves of Qud:

https://discord.gg/nxDRPD

pubic void nullo
May 17, 2002

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

https://discord.gg/D4T7Yc

Their moderation style is kind of awful (I once got threatened with a ban for saying that a mutation was really bad, instead of tripping over myself to make it clear this was just my subjective opinion) but at the same time a number of very knowledgeable people post there, and the community is friendly enough.

The roguelike discord has a somewhat more SA-like atmosphere, and covers a ton of games including Caves of Qud:

https://discord.gg/nxDRPD

I've been there for a couple months and only ever saw somebody get banned for being a nazi.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

pubic void nullo posted:

I've been there for a couple months and only ever saw somebody get banned for being a nazi.

Maybe I just caught someone on a bad day then.

AgentJR
Jun 5, 2011

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Reading the logs here. You stated the mutation was bad, got aggressive when people offered other opinions, declared yourself the most right, and sassed the moderators with "I know Unormal :smuggo:" when told to drop it. Also a "time out" isn't necessarily a ban, but I get being kinda upset about it still.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

AgentJR posted:

Reading the logs here. You stated the mutation was bad, got aggressive when people offered other opinions, declared yourself the most right, and sassed the moderators with "I know Unormal :smuggo:" when told to drop it. Also a "time out" isn't necessarily a ban, but I get being kinda upset about it still.

That is not an accurate characterization.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

mormonpartyboat posted:

have you discovered the secret second path to get to red rocks?

Angry Diplomat posted:

Also, have you been making sure to look at the statue in one corner of Joppa?

A Strange Aeon posted:

How are you dying?

Thanks for everyone's replies, including the ones I'm not quoting here. Regarding the statue, yeah, I discovered that interaction pretty early on. Regarding the "secret" path, I was not aware of it but I've found it now, it's very exciting! Also, I read back on my original post and I think I was kind of ambiguous talking about spoilers. What I meant was: I am enjoying playing unspoiled, but if there are some newbie tips that can't be easily hinted at in a non-spoilery way, I'm fine hearing those tips too.

As for how I'm dying, after reflecting on it a bit, I think the main problem is my own impatience. This game has captivated me a bit with its mysterious lore and how it seems like a giant world with adventures and secrets everywhere. So sometimes I will sit down to play and get frustrated after a couple runs because I only know how to be successful at like the Red Rocks quest and Argyve's first fetch quest. So then I run into tricky snapjaw situation #5 of my evening I just get annoyed and YOLO into the mob of baddies (and die).

This is kind of what I was trying to get at with my first post. I'd like to develop more than one single early-game strategy, in order to have a little more variety when I sit down to play. I know I can do this by just... trying different things. Tell Argyve where he can shove his trinkets and set out on the road! Try a weird character build! I guess ultimately I'm looking for any real general tips or ideas for me to brainstorm different things to try. I realize this might not even make sense as a question though, in terms of how the game works, or in terms of "just go play the game, Professor Overanalysis", and that's fine too.

Lutha Mahtin fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Nov 13, 2018

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Sprint and run away, find somewhere safe to rest until your health is back, then head back to try again. Or get better gear before trying again. Running away is so important in the early game and stays relevant later on too. I always die from forgetting to run, forgetting to buy bandages, forgetting to use bandages that I bought, outright just not noticing that I'm bleeding, forgetting to use one of the healing items that I'm carrying, forgetting to check if any of my skills or mutations are useful for the current disaster I'm in, and if none of those does me in it will frequently be overconfidence in the fight with the first purple snap jaw I find.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

The key to early game survival in Qud is your basic defensive stats.

DV is valuable but not foolproof, and you mostly get DV from your build: the Acrobatics -> Spry skill sequence is very good, as are long blades in defensive stance, and while the defensive mutations that give you +AGI are overshadowed by active defenses like Teleport or Phasing, they provide an always-active benefit instead of something you have to know when to use.

AV is a more consistent defense -- getting to 6 AV will make you nearly immune to most common early-game enemies, since they often have +0 or lower penetration rolls. I haven't played with the reworked armor system but as I understand it, it was mostly a buff except for characters trying to cheese the system with tons of limbs, so you can probably still achieve that with Chainmail / Studded Leather, Boar-Skin Gloves, Croccasins or Leather Boots, and a Leather Cap or Knollworm Skull.

Classic roguelike fundamentals still apply: fight in chokepoints, have a plan to retreat (and abilities to make retreating easier -- every character can sprint, even if they don't have more powerful mutations or skills!), use consumables early and often, and anything that can reduce you to 50% health can kill you.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Stoca Zola posted:

Were you doing the daily quest? That sounds exactly like one of my recent starter villages; although I think in one building the engraving was slightly different. Also in that town I accidentally stumbled into an iron maiden and nearly died before I even started playing.

I thought I was the only person stupid enough to walk into an iron maiden. "Oh whats this?"

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

*starts a game with all of his newfound knowledge*

*follows all the stuff goons told him*

*gets a good run goin'*

...............*accidentally force-attacks Argyve instead of turning in the quest items to him*

that's all, folks! lol

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

A confirmation message pre neutral/friendly attack would not go amiss

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Pladdicus posted:

A confirmation message pre neutral/friendly attack would not go amiss

I mean that's kind of baked into a forced attack, isn't it? In most normal circumstances, you would just bump into things until they die, which isn't a problem with friendlies.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I dunno,seems pretty accurate to me.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lutha Mahtin posted:

*starts a game with all of his newfound knowledge*

*follows all the stuff goons told him*

*gets a good run goin'*

...............*accidentally force-attacks Argyve instead of turning in the quest items to him*

that's all, folks! lol

next time just run away and wait for him to cool off, folks from friendly factions will lose their aggro status eventually

yes this also can be cheesed for trying to get a face or something, tho im not interested in doing that personally

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

sometimes the things you say come across as more aggro/assholeish than you intend vOv

im p sure nobody hates you there or anything tho

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Which of mehmets faces would you get if you did that?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i think hes only got the one but it doesnt really matter either way i think the answer is all of them eventually

is there a mod adding missile weapon slots back onto creatures w/o hands yet :v

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

I bought a friendly snapjaw warlord's bite attack today; not sure how he's going to eat without it but oh well. He didn't want much for it so how could I say no?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexual Norm
Aug 23, 2007

It's like shaking hands with a professional armwrestler.
It's been a while, but have mental mutations changed much recently? I'd like to go back to trying out those builds, but ~8 months ago I kept getting gibbed by weird chaos beings. I also don't really get how mental mirror works in fights with other psychics. Sunder mind seemed to kill me as often as not, even if my own mental mirror level was absurdly high.