Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Elephant Ambush posted:

It's just following the Japanese practice of cramming idols into literally form of media. And it's dumb as hell.

Like, I'm into FF, and I'm into mobile games, and I'm into boobs. Let's just limit ourselves to combining a maximum of 2 of those things, huh?

Agreed, it's about time we finally set some hard limits for this nonsense. Let's do it right now.

ah poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Elephant Ambush posted:

It's just following the Japanese practice of cramming idols into literally form of media. And it's dumb as hell.

Like, I'm into FF, and I'm into mobile games, and I'm into boobs. Let's just limit ourselves to combining a maximum of 2 of those things, huh?

Yeah I'd prefer just FF and boobs too

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Ariana Grande has already been in FFBE for a year or more by now so this is hardly new.

Still dumb. But not new.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Sakurazuka posted:

Lulu

Tifa

Aranaea

Jihl Nabaat

Etc

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

I'm the tiny yellow tie.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Elephant Ambush posted:

It's a good thing Square Enix never made a Final Fantasy game where the main characters could be pop idols.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mAo3futq94

Oh.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

Versus FF and Fake Hispanicness, yeah I agree its a big step forward

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Elephant Ambush posted:

it's actually fine, and fun.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Isn't FFBE global one of the worst managed games

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Tae posted:

Honestly I have no idea. I'm 100% F2P and I don't really have issues. They've been pretty generous these last few months with premium currency, units, etc. I bank and hoard then pull on specific banners and stay really competitive. I don't play a lot of mobile games but it seems fine to me. No clue where it sits relatively.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Levantine posted:

it's actually fine, and fun.

Idols are essentially slaves in an industry that grinds them down and exploits them to an impossible standard because of cultural upheavals after WWII forced on the Japanese a way of life that was influenced by but ultimately very different from Western civilization.

Idols anywhere are bad, and it's a bad industry, and I'm never ever going to stop waving this flag around whenever it's brought up.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Tae posted:

There was one ex-employee AMA that said they had a ton of turnover, and for a while the game had a ton of glitches and extended maintance, along with some lovely stuff like reduced rates for time limited banners.
For the past few weeks however the game has been stable and they just had a huge fan festa event last weekend without any major fuckup so there's that.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

kirbysuperstar posted:

It's a good thing Square Enix never made a Final Fantasy game where the main characters could be pop idols.

Oh.

Are you intentionally missing the point to score some kind of gotcha points on me or something? That's not the same thing you doof.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Gologle posted:

Idols are essentially slaves in an industry that grinds them down and exploits them to an impossible standard because of cultural upheavals after WWII forced on the Japanese a way of life that was influenced by but ultimately very different from Western civilization.

Idols anywhere are bad, and it's a bad industry, and I'm never ever going to stop waving this flag around whenever it's brought up.

Also this.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Epi Lepi posted:

Yoo-fee is correct and the fact that any idiots think it could even possibly be yuff-ee is mind blowing to me.

Probably because the pronunciation you wrote out, yuff-ee, is one letter away from the actual spelling of her name. From what I can tell, in the english language when the second letter is a 'u', there's a 50/50 chance it's going to be 'oo' or 'uh'. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it that i can discern

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Dec 15, 2018

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
dont insult english u whoe

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Elephant Ambush posted:

Are you intentionally missing the point to score some kind of gotcha points on me or something? That's not the same thing you doof.

More than anything I just wanted an excuse to listen to Real Emotion, in all honesty.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Probably because the pronunciation you wrote out, yuff-ee, is one letter away from the actual spelling of her name. From what I can tell, in the english language when the second letter is a 'u', there's a 50/50 chance it's going to be 'oo' or 'uh'. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it that i can discern

There isn't a single word in the English language where uff is pronounced with a long u. Stuff, buff, muff, gruff. If it was spelled Yufie it would definitely be a long u though.

English is weird.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Ah that makes a lot more sense, any vowel followed by two consonants I think will follow that rule. Ergo, quid pro quo, ipso facto: Yuh-fee

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Fister Roboto posted:

There isn't a single word in the English language where uff is pronounced with a long u. Stuff, buff, muff, gruff. If it was spelled Yufie it would definitely be a long u though.

English is weird.

Point of order: tuff, rock made of compacted volcanic ash that's kinda igneous sandstone, is pronounced toof. At least that's how we pronounced it where I grew up; ancient supervolcano, that stuff was all over the place and planting anything usually involved a crowbar to break through.

E: okay, trying to confirm this it looks like in French/Italian it uses the long u, English uses the short u, with a couple of references to that having "recently" taken over the long pronunciation. Which could mean the last decade or last century, who the heck knows.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Dec 15, 2018

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Bruceski posted:

Point of order: tuff, rock made of compacted volcanic ash that's kinda igneous sandstone, is pronounced toof. At least that's how we pronounced it where I grew up; ancient supervolcano, that stuff was all over the place and planting anything usually involved a crowbar to break through.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

kirbysuperstar posted:

More than anything I just wanted an excuse to listen to Real Emotion, in all honesty.

I'll accept that.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
My brother has wanted to beat ff8, as the disc he used to have way back when would freeze at the spaceport. As SE wants to pretend FF8 doesn't exist, he is lucky that I got a ps3 and a physical copy of FF8 around.

He has played 40 hours this week. He is on disc 2. He farmed Rosetta stones to give 3 GFs ability x4 and auto haste for each of them. :psyduck:

HE FARMED THE D DISTRICT PRISONER FOR ROSETTA STONES

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I hope he hasnt gained any xp.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

kirbysuperstar posted:

Oh.

The cutscene theme was totally disconnected from the writing theme right, because it ended up being that this cutscene that was meant to show a newly liberated and more fun and modern Yuna following the main theme of renewal and ridding the world of the old order that threatened to destroy, didn't even actually star the real Yuna right?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Calaveron posted:

The cutscene theme was totally disconnected from the writing theme right, because it ended up being that this cutscene that was meant to show a newly liberated and more fun and modern Yuna following the main theme of renewal and ridding the world of the old order that threatened to destroy, didn't even actually star the real Yuna right?

The rest of that opening sequence features Yuna in her new outfit firing guns wildly and doing goofs while chasing around Leblanc and her idiot henchmen and ends with her doin a silly dance she can't stop.

It got the theme across even if it wasn't really Yuna

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

The rest of that opening sequence features Yuna in her new outfit firing guns wildly and doing goofs while chasing around Leblanc and her idiot henchmen and ends with her doin a silly dance she can't stop.

It got the theme across even if it wasn't really Yuna

Yeah but, like who cares the big showcase with these games were the intro fmvs

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Calaveron posted:

I think youll find the big showcase was the beserker outfit.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Calaveron posted:

You do. You opened that post saying the opening cutscene was disconnected with the theme because it wasn't the Real Yuna but the follow scene shows "Yeah no that's basically how it is"

And also the theme of the the game is more SPira's reformation and awkward adolescences after the fall of the church not just Yuna's and the opening is literally "HEY YOU KNOW THAT CHURCH SANCTIONED SPORT THAT WAS THE ONLY FUN ALLOWED? gently caress YOU HERE'S A HOT NEW JPOP SHOW IN THE ARENA INSTEAD AND EVERYONE IS LOVING IT"

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Tae posted:

There are a lot of issues I have with Gumi but as far as the actual management it's run very effectively. They actually end their weekly maintenance on time these days, rather than saying downtime is X hours and having it run 1-10 hours over that. Their Fan Fest just ended and with Christmas coming up there's a bunch of extra summon tickets and stuff being given out this month and next(?) which will be convenient for new players.

One of the biggest issues is their 7* unit mechanic requires a copy of the unit in question, coupled with the fact that gamers in general have become far too forgiving for mobile game predatory behavior. When PAD tried to implement the exact same system a couple years ago the outrage in Japan was so huge they did the full apology tour and tossed the lovely dupe requirement for farmable mat requirements. When Gumi announced it in Japan (a year ago?) people were upset but ultimately didn't care enough to stay mad for long.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

It’s a Japanese name that’s been romanicized it was never ever gonna be uff. Her name should really be Yufi but they wanted the name to look more natural or something.

Besides that I’m fairly confident that -ie at the end elongates the preceding vowel. I mean I don’t know if there’s an actual rule cause English is weird but I can’t think of a counter example off the top of my head.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

Epi Lepi posted:

It’s a Japanese name that’s been romanicized it was never ever gonna be uff. Her name should really be Yufi but they wanted the name to look more natural or something.

Besides that I’m fairly confident that -ie at the end elongates the preceding vowel. I mean I don’t know if there’s an actual rule cause English is weird but I can’t think of a counter example off the top of my head.

mostly because most words that might end in "ie" actually end in "y".

The name Stephanie might qualify depending on spelling, but names are weird.

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

Calaveron posted:

A major theme of the game is the people of Spira finding themselves in a new world, trying on new identities in search of finding themselves. This even extends to the gameplay with the dressphere/garment grid mechanic. Leblanc in the opening cutscene wants to see what it's like to be Yuna, so during that song, that actually is Yuna.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So did I miss the talk about a possible X-3? All I saw was a lot of mispronouncing names.
http://www.siliconera.com/2018/12/13/yoshinori-kitase-talks-final-fantasy-x-3-with-a-look-at-tidus-yunas-later-years-illustration-by-nomura/

I very much doubt this will ever happen, even if they want to do it. At this point it's a game they want to make after a game they want to make. I'm still skeptical FFVIIR will happen, let alone something to come after.

I will say though that if it does happen, I want Paine to return. Although I guess it would probably star Auron's daughter or whoever she was? I never listened to the side stuff.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

NikkolasKing posted:

So did I miss the talk about a possible X-3? All I saw was a lot of mispronouncing names.
http://www.siliconera.com/2018/12/13/yoshinori-kitase-talks-final-fantasy-x-3-with-a-look-at-tidus-yunas-later-years-illustration-by-nomura/

I very much doubt this will ever happen, even if they want to do it. At this point it's a game they want to make after a game they want to make. I'm still skeptical FFVIIR will happen, let alone something to come after.

I will say though that if it does happen, I want Paine to return. Although I guess it would probably star Auron's daughter or whoever she was? I never listened to the side stuff.

spoiler they look exactly the same

god nomura is so fuckin lazy

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Nuh uh, Tidus has a headband now.

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
Tidus becomes Jecht and calls his kid a pussy.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

That design can't be canon because Tidus exploded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

SyntheticPolygon posted:

That design can't be canon because Tidus exploded.

tidus exploded, but then he came back to life. sin too