Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Really want to know the combat radius for the 2xJASSM - > take off from LHD without tanker support mission profile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

darthbob88 posted:

the Texas desert
... being off-put by the emptiness.

I have friends/former roomates from Boeing/Microsoft company town and upstate NY, both were kinda weirded out by there being too much sky around DFW. The trees are taller in WA, and the Berkshire Range is even taller that that, so living on a floodplain was a bit unnerving to them.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

Dead Reckoning posted:

Really want to know the combat radius for the 2xJASSM - > take off from LHD without tanker support mission profile.

I know JSOW fits internally in the 35C and the Navy is looking at improvements to it for that reason, but the 35B has smaller bays and it doesn’t fit. JASSM/LRASM doesn’t currently fit on any of that, which seems awkward. You have to think LockMart is working on that since it’s a program risk going forward, but who knows.

I wonder if NSM fits internally on the 35B.

EDIT: Page 18 of https://fas.org/man/eprint/F-35-SAR-2018.pdf has the best data I can find. 2 1000# JDAMs and 2 120s internal from 600 ft LHD roll, 550nmi goal, currently like 450-500 demonstrated.

If the numbers I’ve seen are accurate that’s still better than a loaded F-18E/F, which is kind of hilarious.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Dec 15, 2018

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Nebakenezzer posted:

:canada: NSS weekend circular :canada:

So, Quebec is making political noise about wanting to build another supply ship for the RCN, which previously had two. As the Asterix, ordered as a stopgap by the conservatives, is a real outlier in Canada's Naval Shipbuilding adventures (being on time and on budget) the fed really really does not want to do this

Today in Parliament, the conservative leader Reinhard Scheer accused the liberals of playing politics :nallears: to which the liberals responded "no, you"

Of course, the Asterix is leased, the Harper government saw them as a stopgap till the NSS could churn out real replacements. So doing the same deal with Davie again is no problem. The issue here (and why the Liberals are acting like suggestions another be made are an angry swarm of bees attacking their head) is Irving and Seaspan don't want it. Of course, bear in mind the leasing thing - while Canada **could** say "huh I guess off the shelf really is good enough for supply ships" the government is really unlikely to do so, since that would cast doubt on if the NSS was best value etc. The fear here is that Davie could wedge its foot in the NSS door, and maybe, I dunno, compete with the other two shipyards for contracts if there were "areas" where work had to be faster or programs had fallen too far behind

The awful specter of "competition" and "other ways to do things aside from the NSS" is a fear the shipyards and the government share

Oh and the Vice Admiral Norman trial, the prosecution realized its case of "doing the bad thing" was too weak, so they've shifted to saying "Norman did inaprop things" citing a case of an officer in JTF2 (Canada's anti-terror fast reaction force) who used government trucks on his farm and got JTF personnel to work on his farm

I think the Berlin class ships are a great solution to JSS.. Existing design, capable, ro/ro (great for humanitarian missions, helps to sell it to public). It is scary when Quebec starts angling for additional ships they can build though, that gets my spidey sense tingling.

Also, I noticed you posted this in the CSPAM canada thread.. is it just me or has that gotten way more D&D like lately with “we don’t believe in citizenship or national borders, mannnnnn” type nonsense lately? It annoys the hell out of me that most :canada: threads devolve into who hates the country the most, ugh. /rant over

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

priznat posted:

I think the Berlin class ships are a great solution to JSS.. Existing design, capable, ro/ro (great for humanitarian missions, helps to sell it to public). It is scary when Quebec starts angling for additional ships they can build though, that gets my spidey sense tingling.

Also, I noticed you posted this in the CSPAM canada thread.. is it just me or has that gotten way more D&D like lately with “we don’t believe in citizenship or national borders, mannnnnn” type nonsense lately? It annoys the hell out of me that most :canada: threads devolve into who hates the country the most, ugh. /rant over

A mod in that thread told me to gently caress off because I said BC was messing in stuff that was a Federal jurisdiction, not provincial

Canada pol threads be bad. Be like me and troll them with factual information about stuff they don't know about

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

priznat posted:

C-SPAM is self-radicalizing a bit, I've noticed.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Nebakenezzer posted:

A mod in that thread told me to gently caress off because I said BC was messing in stuff that was a Federal jurisdiction, not provincial

Canada pol threads be bad. Be like me and troll them with factual information about stuff they don't know about

Yeah once it started to be we shouldn’t even be defending our fishing rights within our territory I was like peace out on that poo poo. Just go back to your hating on Doug Ford circlejerk I guess..

Shame because I’d really like to discuss politics without being labelled a fascist when expressing an opinion slightly to the right of Jack Layton. Hell he’d probably get chased outta there!

Anywho apparently the China frooferaw is causing the stock price of the Canada Goose clothing line (which is massively popular in Asia) to drop in part because they are delaying their grand opening of a flagship store in China. There was plans for “concerned citizens” to protest the opening. Now, are these people paid by the state or are they being coerced? There seems to be a lot of this protest theatre where China is concerned and I’m curious how that happens. I work with a lot of people from China and not one would give a poo poo about this kind of thing especially not enough to go protest so there is some kind of external force going on there..

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Canadians generally have a wildly exaggerated idea of their country's importance or stature in the world.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Canada is America’s hat.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Gnoman posted:

No, but the dozens of other countries now buying -35s might have.

yes, they clearly would have bought the other 5th generation stealth fighter such as the ______________ or the _____________ instead.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Throatwarbler posted:

Canadians generally have a wildly exaggerated idea of their country's importance or stature in the world.

Much like you and your posting

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
They're the 10th largest economy. I think of them like a millionaire dentist who lives next to Elon Musk.

"What do you mean I'm not allowed to build a tunnel thru your lawn? Do you NOT want us to send robot God's messengers to Mars?"

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

RandomPauI posted:

They're the 10th largest economy. I think of them like a millionaire dentist who lives next to Elon Musk.

Yeah but they’re trailing Italy.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Has there been any word on the USAF’s F-22/F-15 replacement + B-21 augmenter? I believe it was being researched under the name
Penetrating Counter Air or PCA. Supposed to fly faster and much farther than F-15’s/F-22’s and has a requirement for no tail to bring It’s RCS even further down. Something like the X-44 MANTA but with serious range, speed, and payload improvements. Anyone heard or seen anything public or is this still all black at this point?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
They're calling it F-X and PCA...same thing. The AF has requested and received some data from the big 3 manufacturers, and I think that's where we sit. There are other RFPs for systems (engines specifically, probably others) that would likely play into this program. I know the target date is IOC around 2030, which if they want to get anywhere NEAR that, F-X will be closely related to F-22/F-35. From some of the quotes I've read, I'm expecting the next one to be an odd duck capability wise. Definitely no "not a pound for air to ground" mentality. More like the F-35 in that it'll be one piece of a much larger puzzle of integrated systems. Probably very ISR heavy, possibly something tied to drone swarms. Pilot-optional has been talked about since day one. Certainly it'll generate a poo poo ton of electricity, because :grovertoot: . I'm guessing it'll be somewhat larger than the F-22, probably Flanker sized. Eight missiles just isn't gonna cut it anymore.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Dec 15, 2018

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

RandomPauI posted:

"What do you mean I'm not allowed to build a tunnel thru your lawn? Do you NOT want us to send robot God's messengers to Mars?"

poo poo, we're 10th? Colour me surprised.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Mazz posted:

If the numbers I’ve seen are accurate that’s still better than a loaded F-18E/F, which is kind of hilarious.
yeah that's incredible.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Cool footage of Hellenic Air Force F-4s taking off at night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=001lRN2fk2Y

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Dec 15, 2018

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Found an interesting throwback video, a news piece from the Fifth Estate on CBC in 1978, talking about the NFA program that ultimately ended up in Canada buying the CF-18 Hornet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTk-Z0Th_SA

Also of note, it's hosted by future governor-general Adrienne Clarkson.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

MrChips posted:

Found an interesting throwback video, a news piece from the Fifth Estate on CBC in 1978, talking about the NFA program that ultimately ended up in Canada buying the CF-18 Hornet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTk-Z0Th_SA

Also of note, it's hosted by future governor-general Adrienne Clarkson.

Fun fact: Adrienne Clarkson is more expensive per hour for the government to operate than a CF-18.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Some underwater footage of damage to the Helge Ingstad.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

That's not going to buff out.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Blistex posted:

Fun fact: Adrienne Clarkson is more expensive per hour for the government to operate than a CF-18.

Lmao

CBC -> GG pipeline in effect, wonder who the next one will be.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

priznat posted:

Lmao

CBC -> GG pipeline in effect, wonder who the next one will be.

If the Cons win the next election? Governor General Don Cherry here we come.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Mazz posted:

Also the 35B VTOL landing procedure is supposedly almost entirely or entirely automated.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhTH9TP6-1c

That's the harrier that was retrofitted with the control system as the test bed for the eventual F-35B control system.

Pablo Bluth fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Dec 15, 2018

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Love the little drone that looks like a toilet

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

:nsamad:

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Holy gently caress that thing is HUGE

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Hahaha I wonder if anyone’s getting their dicks slapped for this.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Just to save people checking those coordinates, that's Kings Bay, so it's an Ohio propeller.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.

aphid_licker posted:

Holy gently caress that thing is HUGE

That was my reaction too, :drat:

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
I guess a propeller that only needs to make one revolution per hour would be pretty quiet

edit: if you look closely, you can see the Ohio sub nestled safely inside the hub like a li'l baby bird

Neophyte fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Dec 16, 2018

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
The bigger the prop the slower it turns, the slower it turns the quieter it is, basically.

And the Ohio’s have been around long enough that everyone’s seen their props already.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

I've seen this episode of The Americans :colbert:

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
I believe it was Snowden's Secret who said that publicly available photos of a sub's propeller is like there being publicly available photos of a politician's penis.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Mortabis posted:

I believe it was Snowden's Secret who said that publicly available photos of a sub's propeller is like there being publicly available photos of a politician's penis.

So only leak the photos if it's big?

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Mortabis posted:

So a totally normal thing within the next five years?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
We already live in an age where FLOTUS did nude modeling in bed with another woman. People should probably get over naked bodies and poo poo :shrug: Not a big deal at all, unless you're exposing yourself in a criminal or harassing manner.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
wrong thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Finnish Army being cold war as gently caress. This, even today, would be what a lot of the second and third tier activated reserves would look like on the border if the big whistle blows.