Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

Stealth Tiger posted:

Insulting strippers, just like insulting drug users, is a tremendous heel move that displays peerless villainy. Also, the part where Punk swung around the pole to deliver a kick was great.

I root for most heels, but CM Punk's heel character really did get under my skin. Testament to his ability to annoy, full props to him in that regard.

Same goes for Jericho too, although Jericho's heel is a tad more witty on the mic.

I respect both guys for their showmanship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Following up from the NY64 thread, where can I get more details on the Ring Boy Scandal stuff? A quick googling turned up surprisingly little.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Helicity posted:

Following up from the NY64 thread, where can I get more details on the Ring Boy Scandal stuff? A quick googling turned up surprisingly little.

Terry Garvin, Pat Patterson and somebody I forget was allegedly sexual abusing ring boys, many/most of whom were underage.

Pat Pattersion was later rehired, since he's Vince's right hand man, and as such, "allegedly" continued to use his position to demand sexual favors from wrestlers.

Allegedly is in scare quotes because there have been many allegations about him doing such things, and you should always believe the victims.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Helicity posted:

https://411mania.com/wrestling/poss...-entertainment/

quote:

WrestlingDVDNews.com has a report up on an edit made to the famous Andre the Giant vs. Hulk Hogan match from WrestleMania 3 that is also featured on The History of WWE: 50 Years of Sports Entertainment DVD/Blu-ray release. The match has now been edited with an angle strictly from the arena camera, and no commentary is present.

According to a source, the major reason for the change to the “hard cam” POV is due to former ring announcer Mel Phillips. Phillips was involved in a sex scandal in WWF in the early 1990’s, and he was alleged to have harassed underage boys on the ring crew. One rumor is that an alleged victim is still a fan of the WWE product and is said to suffer “flashbacks” when seeing Phillips again in old footage and has threatened a lawsuit against the WWE if it isn’t changed for future presentations. Phillips was sitting at ringside during the event, and that is the reason WWE switched the angle to the arena camera for the match on the home video release.

One counter to the aforementioned rumor is that Phillips was shown in footage on the recent Bret Hart Dungeon Collection released earlier this year. WWE also could’ve removed commentary on the match due to Jesse Ventura’s audio. The hard-cam format could also be a result of getting around the removal of commentary from the match.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Mel Phillips raped dozens or hundreds of boys while working for WWE. He was caught in the early 80s and reported to security who did nothing. Vince McMahon had been warned in a letter from Lord Littlebrook and at one point fired Mel, but hired him back with a promise Mel would stay away from kids.

Mel's MO was to find at risk kids and gain their confidence by using them as ring boys at shows, then when he raped them no one would believe them or their parents wouldn't be present to do anything.

This all came out when Terry Garvin offered 19 year old Tom Cole a job, then demanded sex from him and fired him when he didn't get it. Garvin also offered Cole coke at age 16. Garvin had also harassed Barry Orton (Randy's uncle) in the 70s and tried to force himself on a ref as well. He likely molested several ring boys as well, not as many as Mel though.

Pat Patterson seemed to do it in the way Al Franken did where he'd act suggestive and would grab butts and stuff around people. There were some claims of more, some claims it was all a joke. The biggest claim was from Murray Hogdson who accused Pat of demanding sex from him and then getting fired for it. Murray was later shown to be a fraud which is probably what caused the scandal to go away. Murray was super charismatic and came off great on Geraldo and Donahue, so they probably felt played after.

Then in all of this Rita Chatterton came forward with her accusation that Vince McMahon raped her in a limo. Her story is absolutely chilling and was backed up in full or in part by other anonymous sources.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I thought Pat Patterson got roped into that at the time because he was known to be gay, but I might be wrong.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

I thought Pat Patterson got roped into that at the time because he was known to be gay, but I might be wrong.

There's been way too many accusations thrown at Patterson, then and at other times.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwqUpqYx1DM

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

Deeply disputed. Gay panic poo poo. No idea why you are posting this.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

MassRafTer posted:

Mel Phillips raped dozens or hundreds of boys while working for WWE. He was caught in the early 80s and reported to security who did nothing. Vince McMahon had been warned in a letter from Lord Littlebrook and at one point fired Mel, but hired him back with a promise Mel would stay away from kids.

Mel's MO was to find at risk kids and gain their confidence by using them as ring boys at shows, then when he raped them no one would believe them or their parents wouldn't be present to do anything.

This all came out when Terry Garvin offered 19 year old Tom Cole a job, then demanded sex from him and fired him when he didn't get it. Garvin also offered Cole coke at age 16. Garvin had also harassed Barry Orton (Randy's uncle) in the 70s and tried to force himself on a ref as well. He likely molested several ring boys as well, not as many as Mel though.

Pat Patterson seemed to do it in the way Al Franken did where he'd act suggestive and would grab butts and stuff around people. There were some claims of more, some claims it was all a joke. The biggest claim was from Murray Hogdson who accused Pat of demanding sex from him and then getting fired for it. Murray was later shown to be a fraud which is probably what caused the scandal to go away. Murray was super charismatic and came off great on Geraldo and Donahue, so they probably felt played after.

Then in all of this Rita Chatterton came forward with her accusation that Vince McMahon raped her in a limo. Her story is absolutely chilling and was backed up in full or in part by other anonymous sources.

And then Cole, who had spent the previous two decades talking about how terrible the company is, suddenly came out in favor of Linda's Senate campaign (I believe 2012, though it may have been the 2010 run as well) and spoke glowingly about the McMahon family once the media started talking about the sex scandals. I wonder how much that cost them.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

rovert posted:

Deeply disputed. Gay panic poo poo. No idea why you are posting this.

Because we should believe the victims?

It's no different than the shitstorm Hollywood is going through.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Randaconda posted:

I've watched that Piper interview a bunch of times - it sounds like Piper did a sexual favor for Patterson in exchange for a push

I don't think he was molested/raped or underage when it happened, but still, you can tell Piper was hiding that away for a long time and was ashamed of it

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

EugeneJ posted:

I've watched that Piper interview a bunch of times - it sounds like Piper did a sexual favor for Patterson in exchange for a push

I don't think he was molested/raped or underage when it happened, but still, you can tell Piper was hiding that away for a long time and was ashamed of it

Yeah, Patterson is literal garbage.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Randaconda posted:

When I first learned about these issues I gave Patterson the benefit of the doubt, because it was a time when conservative media was aflame with equating all gay men to pedophiles and degenerate criminals. But there have been too many allegations to ignore.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Patterson was a star in the 70's and if there is anything I have learned in the last couple of years it's that you cannot trust anyone big in the 70's not to have been a monster no matter how much you like them or their work.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
That's nonsense. I mean look at Ric Flair, or Harley Race, or...ah, gently caress.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Halloween Jack posted:

When I first learned about these issues I gave Patterson the benefit of the doubt, because it was a time when conservative media was aflame with equating all gay men to pedophiles and degenerate criminals. But there have been too many allegations to ignore.

Same. I gave him the benefit of the doubt for years, but there's just too much smoke for there not to be fire.

Big Dave
Nov 6, 2009

Friends don't shake hands, friends gotta hug!

idk if this is the right place to ask (or even the right forum) but im looking for deathmatch recommendations from this year. i've watched tournament of survival, ngi, and the 6/20 takeda/kodaka match from bjw. what else should i search out? even just a list of the top takeda matches would be much appreciated.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Big Dave posted:

idk if this is the right place to ask (or even the right forum) but im looking for deathmatch recommendations from this year. i've watched tournament of survival, ngi, and the 6/20 takeda/kodaka match from bjw. what else should i search out? even just a list of the top takeda matches would be much appreciated.

David Arquette vs. Nick Gage

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Big Dave posted:

Fly Star vs Toxin Mask vs Mask. It's on youtube. The full version is like 47 minutes long. I think there's an edited professional multicam version too. You will forget they have masks on with how bloody it is. It's the death match of the year.

G-Raver vs Jeff Cannonball from GCW Tha G Code is must see stuff too.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

EugeneJ posted:

So was that interview before or after Legends' House? Because if it was before...um...

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Pope Corky the IX posted:

So was that interview before or after Legends' House? Because if it was before...um...

Why would it matter?

FunMerrania
Mar 3, 2013

Blast Processing
G-Raver vs Nick Gage at Beyond Wrestling was amazing.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Legends House was filmed in February 2012 and began airing in April 2014.

The shoot was filmed in October 2013 and it was released in April 2014.

Piper died in July 2015.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

MassRafTer posted:

Why would it matter?

Because I don't know if this was something Piper later recalled or if he remembered it all along. If it was the former, living with Patterson for a few months may have triggered awful poo poo to come back to him. If it was the latter, I feel terrible that Piper needed the money badly enough that he was willing to live with Patterson for a few months.

Don't worry, I'm not trying to find a way to blame Piper.

EDIT: Like long-rear end nips Diane, I was also under the assumption that Patterson was getting more poo poo about the scandal for being gay. I knew about Phillips and Garvin, but what I had read didn't have nearly as much detail about Patterson. So now that whole scene in Legends' House where everyone treats him like a brave wonderful soul for coming out is loving abhorrent. It reminds me of what Kevin Spacey did.

Pope Corky the IX fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Dec 20, 2018

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Because I don't know if this was something Piper later recalled or if he remembered it all along. If it was the former, living with Patterson for a few months may have triggered awful poo poo to come back to him. If it was the latter, I feel terrible that Piper needed the money badly enough that he was willing to live with Patterson for a few months.

The shoot coming out within a few weeks of Legends House made everyone connect the scene where Piper refused to sleep in the same room as Patterson with Piper's comments about Patterson propositioning him

Roddy later did a podcast angrily denying everything, but it sounded like it was more because he didn't want to come out to his kids as having done a homosexual act (acts?) than being mad at Patterson

Kayfabe Commentaries sat on the shoot for 6 months and released the trailer the same week that Legends House premiered - they were intentionally stirring up poo poo to sell DVD's

EugeneJ fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Dec 20, 2018

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!
Specific to Patterson:

Basically, if you find Tom Cole's original allegations to be credible, you believe Patterson did SOMETHING, because he said in his lawsuit and the Wrestling Perspective interview that Patterson groped and sexually harassed him.

Murray Hodgson was exposed as a semi-closeted gay guy who was going to bars with his boyfriend to blackmail closeted guys who were living as straight in their personal and business lives. He had no credibility and is probably the biggest part of why the whole gay witch hunt thing lives on.

Tom Hankins, who was on Donahue after sending a letter to Meltzer, is absolutely credible. His claim was that, in a hotel bar, he asked Patterson if he could get some work doing TV jobs, nothing more, only for the response to be that it would happen if they went upstairs and Tom performed oral sex on him. Years later, Meltzer, while believing Tom, started questioning it a little, as Patterson had a habit of saying such things in a joking way, like "pfft, the only way you'd get to work for the WWF was if we went up stairs right now and you blew me, hahahahahaha." Tom is insistent that this was not the case for him.

Barry Orton alleged that, pre-WWF, he was on a road trip with Patterson and Garvin where he was in between them in the back seat and they kept grabbing at his crotch. IIRC Meltzer alluded to him passing a polygraph, but I think WWE disputed if the official results were ever shared with anyone YMMV if that would be reliable.

Have to head out but will explain more on the others later.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
From what I recall, Dave has hinted, but subtly, per his norm, that Patterson was known to be a predator.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

davidbix posted:

Specific to Patterson:

Basically, if you find Tom Cole's original allegations to be credible, you believe Patterson did SOMETHING, because he said in his lawsuit and the Wrestling Perspective interview that Patterson groped and sexually harassed him.

Murray Hodgson was exposed as a semi-closeted gay guy who was going to bars with his boyfriend to blackmail closeted guys who were living as straight in their personal and business lives. He had no credibility and is probably the biggest part of why the whole gay witch hunt thing lives on.

Tom Hankins, who was on Donahue after sending a letter to Meltzer, is absolutely credible. His claim was that, in a hotel bar, he asked Patterson if he could get some work doing TV jobs, nothing more, only for the response to be that it would happen if they went upstairs and Tom performed oral sex on him. Years later, Meltzer, while believing Tom, started questioning it a little, as Patterson had a habit of saying such things in a joking way, like "pfft, the only way you'd get to work for the WWF was if we went up stairs right now and you blew me, hahahahahaha." Tom is insistent that this was not the case for him.

Barry Orton alleged that, pre-WWF, he was on a road trip with Patterson and Garvin where he was in between them in the back seat and they kept grabbing at his crotch. IIRC Meltzer alluded to him passing a polygraph, but I think WWE disputed if the official results were ever shared with anyone YMMV if that would be reliable.

Have to head out but will explain more on the others later.

Specifically with the Hankins story some wrestlers disputed that it was serious saying it was the kind of thing Patterson would do as a joke. It seems to fit with the other weird poo poo he'd do with Cole where he seemed to really like sexually harassing people as a joke and making them uncomfortable. Which based on that backstage environment and what people (Vince) thinks is funny sounds like it would fit right in.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Sexual harassment is still used in storyline by faces to get over in 2018, so that makes total sense.

Almost every day I'm happier I cancelled my subscription. I just can't give money to these people anymore, and I feel terrible about how long I have.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Sexual harassment is still used in storyline by faces to get over in 2018, so that makes total sense.
Babyface Enzo Amore sexually harassing heel Lana, and heel Rusev beating him up in defence of his wife. What a world!

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!
remember the classic "i'm a literal retard" gimmick haha (ie, Eugene)

If I were a wrestler I think I could probably pull that one off.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Big Dave posted:

Arquette vs Gage is the first deathmatch to win this forum's (new to this year) match of the month poll. here is a link to the thread, which contains a link to the match.

e: whoops, link got taken down. I'll need to find a new one.

TTBF fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Dec 21, 2018

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
what's the worst AJ Styles match?

particularly where AJ himself had a notably bad performance, not just because he was carrying someone awful

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012
This reminded me of an old Dave post from The Board about Vince's master plan for the Donahue appearance

dave posted:

The deal was Vince came on because he had a plan.

There were allegations that certain WWE executives (Mel Phillips, who wasn't an exec and Terry Garvin, who was), tried to get sexual favors from Tom Cole in exchange for a better job. Cole turned down Garvin's advances, and then was fired.

Cole complained, and eventually filed a lawsuit against WWE. During the period, he and Randy Orton (real name, Barry Orton was his ring name, the current Randy's uncle) became friendly through Tom's brother Lee Cole, appearing on the same radio shows and such. Suddenly, the day before the show, Orton stopped hearing from Cole and he was actually quite clever, as he surmised a deal may have been made. Another kid who complained at about that time suddenly changed his tune and was driving a nice car shortly thereafter. Ask Sawyer about him.

Before the show, Orton went to me and had this feeling something happened with Cole, and told me not to mention Cole's name, so I didn't. I'm sure he told Bruno the same thing.

As it turned out, Cole was in the audience and came to the show with Elizabeth (with them figuring it was the ultimate mark out for a teenage boy in that time frame) and Linda McMahon (the ability to come across as a sincere caring aunt like figure) in the limo to the show and sat in the crowd with both of them.

Apparently Vince came on the show, with Cole in the audience, so that when someone mentioned Cole's name, Vince would spring him on the crowd (nobody knew what he looked like), and he'd say that Orton was a liar, Graham was a liar, Bruno was a liar, etc. They had this closing scene of Perry Mason (a big-time lawyer show in the 70s where in the final scene of every show, Perry embarrasses the opposing lawyer) planned. But nobody mentioned Cole's name and they never got to pull it.

It actually would have been the most awesome moment for Vince, which explained him going on the show. Instead, well, during a commercial break about 40 minutes into the show, he whispered in my ear, "This is the longest hour of my life."

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Low Desert Punk posted:

what's the worst AJ Styles match?

particularly where AJ himself had a notably bad performance, not just because he was carrying someone awful

BOLA 2005 against Chris Bosh

lovely match followed by this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=legAh9ARcaA

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine

OctoberCountry posted:

This reminded me of an old Dave post from The Board about Vince's master plan for the Donahue appearance

Barry O sounds a hell of a lot smarter than his brother and nephew.

No wonder he never got pushed like them.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Cole's settlement with WWE also meant his interview with Geraldo could never be aired as it was contingent on them not airing it until after he filed his lawsuit.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

MassRafTer posted:

Cole's settlement with WWE also meant his interview with Geraldo could never be aired as it was contingent on them not airing it until after he filed his lawsuit.
Right, he never actually filed it. His lawyer sent the complaint to the WWF without filing it with any court.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Dave
Nov 6, 2009

Friends don't shake hands, friends gotta hug!

MassRafTer posted:

Fly Star vs Toxin Mask vs Mask. It's on youtube. The full version is like 47 minutes long. I think there's an edited professional multicam version too. You will forget they have masks on with how bloody it is. It's the death match of the year.

G-Raver vs Jeff Cannonball from GCW Tha G Code is must see stuff too.

fly star vs toxin is a heck of a match. is there a site or a youtube or something to keep up with mexican indie deathmatch stuff?
also g-raver rules and jeff cannonball is so likable, i need to remember he's a good wrestler and not just "the deathmatch friend of tom". thanks!