Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

SitS is a decent game, I didn't bother with it for a while because it looked very generic, but it has some surprisingly good flavour and atmosphere.

Unfortunately the combat is very dull and the game as a whole feels weirdly... shallow. Like, there's a huge lovely manual to delve into, the character system is pretty deep, character generation is cool, then the game itself is just a bit empty. Most areas just remind me of Baldur's Gate's more egregiously featureless wilderness squares. Actions that seem like they should have consequences don't. Combat never really gets interesting.

It's an impressive achievement for a two man team but I can't really recommend it unless you have a lot of time to kill. It's really close to being great but fails on too many fronts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

MMF Freeway posted:

If you wanna gently caress with bows the archer kit is the way to go. The cheesy ranger setup is you go multiclass cleric/ranger which gets you access to all the cleric and druid spells plus a wide range of available equipment. I actually don't even know if that's still a thing in the enhanced version but its a fun class combo even if it is broken.

I believe that the EE versions "fixed" the Cleric/Ranger spell progression issue. The PC versions, however, allow a quick edit of an .ini file to revert it to the old (broken but more fun) way, but that probably isn't possible in the mobile version.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Chinook posted:

I've had the itch to go back and play Baldur's Gate 2 again, because I have the enhanced edition and haven't really given it a shot.

I usually play those games by picking a fighter, human, getting a great strength score, and eventually dual wielding swords. Then I just run around gibbing everything. I like that, and I'm leaning that way, but I think it might be more fun to do something different this time.

Any particularly fun classes that you guys might recommend? Doesn't have to be a gimmick run necessarily (but it can be, I don't mind struggling to work on a build that takes a while to blossom). I almost considered doing something Ranger-ish because I've never paid much attention to bows, and so on.

If you've never played a Sorcerer, then you need to. Sorcerer's own bones in BG2 and was by far the most fun class I played. Just make sure to ask for a a good guide on which spells to take per level.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
It should be pointed out that cleric/rangers can't use bows. If you aren't interested in a magic user main character I'd say go with an archer. If you are interested in Magic go with a wild mage or sorcerer, check in here if you don't know what spells to grab with the later, and it is possible to change them with EEKeeper if you do accidently screw yourself. For a tanky character that also has spells either cleric/ranger or fighter/druid work well. Fighter/mage is probably better, but has more micromanagement on trash mobs because you can't wear armor.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

chaosapiant posted:

If you've never played a Sorcerer, then you need to. Sorcerer's own bones in BG2 and was by far the most fun class I played. Just make sure to ask for a a good guide on which spells to take per level.
I would second a vote for this - Sorcerers are great in BG2 because they have the fun flexibility you don’t get in other spellcasters due to the D&D memorization system. Since you’re limited in number of spells known, there’s a benefit to having a second mage around to handle niche stuff...but there are a bunch of viable mage NPCs to use.

Archers are also good though - they put out crazy damage with their multiple shots per turn.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Single class inquisitor kit is fun as gently caress and more than capable of soloing the whole game from candlekeep to ToB. I'd skip durlag's tower if you're gonna do BG1 though. The traps are a bitch without thief skills or cleric spells (though you'll hit xp cap in BG1 regardless so it's totally possible to grab a thief buddy and level them just for that purpose)

andrew smash fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Dec 20, 2018

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

Twobirds posted:

I had a hard time with it. I found some suggestions but ultimately I wasn't enjoying myself. The NPCs felt lifeless and the quests arbitrary. It's odd since the art is great and the setup really cool but it felt like there wasn't much game there.

I think I went two mages, two fighty-types, with the mages providing the weird beam spells that healed party members or cursed enemies. Everyone is ultra fragile in the beginning, so I really kited enemies and was careful about how I picked fights.

I don't know whether it was a bug or not but note that enemies respawn, specifically once you reload. I managed to clear a cornfield full of goblins really carefully with my helpless level one dudes, saved and quit, then found out I was surrounded by a field full of goblins when I reloaded the game later in the day. Definitely save somewhere safe.

I really wanted to like it but like you I just don't have the patience anymore.

Yeah, I ended up uninstalling it, and just went with going through the Baldur's Gates for the umpteenth time :/

If you want to try a (in my opinion, at least) fun challenge, try soling with that ranger kit that gets mage spells... Stalker, wasn't it? I had a blast figuring out encounters, traps and exploits, and I got through BG1 + expansions, and a good chunk of BG2 before I had to concentrate on my bachelor's thesis.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Thanks for all the suggestions, guys. I appreciate it.

I've never played through as a seriously evil character, I'm kind of considering it. Either lawful evil (yawn) or possibly neutral or chaotic. I bet chaotic is almost impossible to role play but maybe I should give it a shot.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Kensai Mages are supposed to kick a fairly high amount of arse.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Chairchucker posted:

Kensai Mages are supposed to kick a fairly high amount of arse.

Berserker mages are better, but ignored for being less stylish :colbert:

But goddamn are Kensai mages stylish. Get in touch with your inner middle schooler and make your anime bullshit character. It's a mage/fighter so you will have to pay attention to your own buffs a lot more, but if you can do that, there's a reason it's so beloved. And it's not just because it is some maximum anime bullshit.

Archers have kind of a weird power curve. They are horrifyingly powerful throughout all of Baldur's Gate 1, remain pretty good all the way through 2, and then just nosedive in Throne of Bhaal.

But Throne of Bhaal is frankly overall silly in it's mechanics, so there's that to consider, too. Very little makes sense by the end of the game, mechanically, really.

Really, as long as you don't go with a single class thief, you should be (broadly) fine.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Kensai/ mages are cool through SoA but crap out in ToB compared to multiclassed characters. If you're gonna go all the way through, a fighter/mage/thief is a lot of fun. But it doesn't really matter, honestly.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

chaosapiant posted:

Alright, that's what I'm going with. An evil sorcerer. :) Any suggestions for a build (I'm not going solo) and what spells to take/avoid would be appreciated.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Chinook posted:

Alright, that's what I'm going with. An evil sorcerer. :) Any suggestions for a build (I'm not going solo) and what spells to take/avoid would be appreciated.
-Get at least one offensive spell in most tiers. Magic Missile, Melf’s Acid Arrow and Fireball are great picks to carry you through the early game. Chromatic Orb is also a sneakily good pick, since the damage is reasonable and the status effects range from good to great.
-Identify on a Sorc makes things way easier - there are other methods but being able to just identify a bunch of poo poo at once, rest, then go right on ahead is a nice quality of life perk.
-Dispel Magic and Haste are both musts as widely useful utility spells.
-Don’t waste a pick on narrowly limited spells - stuff like Find Familiar, Remove Curse, Stone to Flesh, etc should be cast from scrolls when needed since you’re going use them very rarely.
-Spells which only inflict a status but nothing else are generally not too great since they lose effectiveness later in the game when saving throws get high. These spells tend to be useful for a while, so they’re good on your other casters, but not for a Sorc where you’re stuck with it wasting one of your picks forever.

MagusofStars fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Dec 22, 2018

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
IMO if you're soloing there is no shame in just giving yourself a fat lore buff with shadowkeeper / EEkeeper for convenience's sake

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009
Soloing a f/m/t is the most game breaking fun I’ve had playing through bg. Remove the level cap and go mad. Especially if you’ve done all the stuff with the recruitable characters before.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Chinook posted:

Sleep will take a level one slot that might not be useful later, but you can absolutely cruise through most fights in BG1 with it. Magic missile is always good, especially later when you can put several in a sequencer or something. Any of the “beat magic” spells like breach, Ruby ray, etc. Wish/limited wish is good. Flame arrow is one of my personal favorites. I put it in a sequencer and then in a contingency to fire at an enemy on sight. I set this up if I’m about to fight a boss and it often lands before they can get protections up. Chromatic orb is also good.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
2018 never truly ends Being 2018....even if it ends soon~

https://steamcommunity.com/games/650670/announcements/detail/1690437771473316570 Grimoire V2...with almost a manual, soon'ish

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

ExiledTinkerer posted:

https://steamcommunity.com/games/650670/announcements/detail/1690437771473316570 Grimoire V2...with almost a manual, soon'ish

I hope that this all ends with GOG rejecting Grimoire just to close out the trainride of lunacy that 2018 has been, and that 2019 promises to be.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

ExiledTinkerer posted:

I have that game in my Steam library, but I bounced off it hard, sadly. For some reason though I have a lot of fun recently playing Phantasy Star 1 on my Switch though, it plays a lot like a Western RPG and with the QOL-additions, no grinding for hundreds of hours to pay for a decent sword!

Simple is best, sometimes.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

I finally got around to dusting off Underrail from my backlog and while I like it does this game ever have some awful design decisions. Fortunately Cheat Engine's speedhack is there to counteract the glacial walking pace but there are so, so many other things that drag it down. Like being very focused on gathering lots of crafting components and having a very restrictive carry weight limit at the same time. Or having frequently respawning enemies in places you're going to have to run back and forth in 100 times so you have to fight them every time. Or requiring absurd min-maxing to make even a slightly viable character. I forget, is this the really unbalanced game where the dev's response to all complaints was "git gud"?

I don't suppose anyone knows of any good trainers or cheat tables for the most recent version? Normally I'm all for grognardy RPGs but I think this is one case where I might want to hack my skills and/or stats just for QoL improvements. I built my character around being a psi mage, but it seems in doing so I've doomed him to death by landmine every 5 minutes because I didn't have spare points to put into Perception, which seems otherwise useless for a psi character.

Merrill Grinch
May 21, 2001

infuriated by investments
Underrail: If you're not using some ubernerd's build that tells you exactly what you should be getting level by level than odds are you're never going to be able to finish it anyways. SMG builds are often the most newbie-friendly as I recall so try googling up some of those.

I've never beaten it myself, personally. It all gets a bit tiresome once you get to the big city up north but I've gotten there in at least three different attempted playthroughs.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I'm cross posting this from the game dev thread as I'm curious. What's your fav retro first person dungeon crawler style:

1: Single grid locked character with throwing stuff / bump simple attacks and singular grid locked monsters sorta like Dungeon Hack / Anvil of Dawn

2: Single character free movement but with simplified combat (not properly an action game) like Lands of Lore 2/3, Arena, various mildly awkward 90s pseudo first person action rpgs
(not pictured)

3: Multi character grid locked or free roaming party with slightly more complicated combat and free moving monsters like Wizardry 8 / M&M 6-9

4: Multi character grid locked party with simpler combat / square dancing / etc and multi pack monsters locked to the grid like Eye of the Beholder / Grimrock / DM
(not pictured)

5: Multi character modal combat with more complicated attacks and coordinated monster packs like Japanese crawlers / older Wizardry games

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
All of my favorite games of the genre are #3, yet somehow I truly believe I prefer #2 just because I am such a huge fan of hybrid FPS/RPG titles. I love the new wave of #4s but it always feels absurd to me that clicking fast enough to move out of the way of the monsters is part of the intended gameplay. I am not sure I have ever played a #5, unless the very first Wizardry counts... Which it probably does, but I also last seriously played it in like 1989

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.
5 if the combat is the main focus of the game, 3 if it's more exploration-oriented

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Dr. Quarex posted:

All of my favorite games of the genre are #3, yet somehow I truly believe I prefer #2 just because I am such a huge fan of hybrid FPS/RPG titles. I love the new wave of #4s but it always feels absurd to me that clicking fast enough to move out of the way of the monsters is part of the intended gameplay. I am not sure I have ever played a #5, unless the very first Wizardry counts... Which it probably does, but I also last seriously played it in like 1989

Yeah #5 is all Wizardries before 8, old Bard's Tale, most (all?) first person pre-Dungeon Master CRPGs except gold box style with iso battles. Rather that combat happening in the exploration space it's in its own separate space (like in Etrian and I think every Japanese crawler).

thark
Mar 3, 2008

bork
5, no question. Really anything with real-time elements will be a "despite, not because of" enjoyment at best.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Might and Magic can do no wrong (ssh the 3d ones don't exist) so #3

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
I like them all except #4, which is one of the reasons I never finished grimrock. If I had to pick a favorite it would probably be #5 since it usually leads to the best combat

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Merrill Grinch posted:

Underrail: If you're not using some ubernerd's build that tells you exactly what you should be getting level by level than odds are you're never going to be able to finish it anyways. SMG builds are often the most newbie-friendly as I recall so try googling up some of those.

I've never beaten it myself, personally. It all gets a bit tiresome once you get to the big city up north but I've gotten there in at least three different attempted playthroughs.

I remember doing a stealth melee build with lots of wasted points that took me to the end of the game but made me unable to kill the last boss (which at the point had a puzzle mechanic to make it beatable but it just didn't work). I think stealth is basically essential since avoiding combat can solve 90% of the encounters without gimping your xp, and electronics is by far the best of the crafting schools. You can craft waaay stronger shields than the ones available at stores, along with gadgets like the stealth boosting item that guarantees you to never be spotted.

I also took the psi enabling drug that severely reduces your HP for no reason since I didn't use the skills and only noticed it reduced HP way after the midpoint.

EDIT: I just checked their website since they're working on an expansion and the game has an "easy" mode now, which should still be extremely hard. There's absolutely no reason at all to play in any other setting.

nerdz fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Dec 28, 2018

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Whatever style Wizardry 8 is

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Dr. Quarex posted:

Yeah I don't really understand why the bizarre real time square dancing combat model exists. I love Grimrock despite the combat but what on earth does it add that turn based doesn't have?

I think you'd like the Etrian Odyssey games btw, they're definitely a *bit* anime but that's mostly in the party portraits, which you barely see and you can pick the least cringeworthy ones. They're very charming with a lot of character, dungeon variety and character building. They feel quite M&M (2-5) with more of a dungeon focus

Parachute
May 18, 2003
gotta go with 2 if only because i loved the poo poo out of lands of lore 2. i have never played 3 for some reason and i think im going to do that this weekend because its $1.50 on gog

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Yeah I don't really understand why the bizarre real time square dancing combat model exists. I love Grimrock despite the combat but what on earth does it add that turn based doesn't have?

I think you'd like the Etrian Odyssey games btw, they're definitely a *bit* anime but that's mostly in the party portraits, which you barely see and you can pick the least cringeworthy ones. They're very charming with a lot of character, dungeon variety and character building. They feel quite M&M (2-5) with more of a dungeon focus

Gonna second Etrian Odyssey. I missed the boat on the original turn based dungeon crawlers, and Etrian Odyssey satisfies that itch superbly. It also has neato built in map making stuff and it's just so neat I like it a lot it's real good.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I also enjoyed Grimrock and do prefer turn-based myself, but I can see how it's an alternative for people who want a bit more action in combat even though I think that it's rather silly in some ways.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I think I might enjoy it if games actually...did something with it. Like, let ranger and mage archetypes set various forms of traps, drop a patrolling creature's favorite food and pass by them, break your fall by baiting enemies to the bottom level of a pitfall and falling on them, etc.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Thanks for the responses. This has all been very interesting. My personal ordering would be 2-3-1-5-4.

It's funny that I hear such consistent negativity about square dancing online yet the most (seeming) successful indie dungeon crawlers on Steam all seem to be #4 style. I wonder if potentially it's about how that style is a bit more approachable and yet is unambiguously an rpg. Like I was looking at Vaporum and I had wondered if the game would've been more successful off the grid, but that also would have resembled an action game more. So people then might've expected it to have the control and polish of a proper action game. (though I've never played Vaporum)

I think that's part of what went wrong on Underworld Ascendant and the SS1 remake. Their original games were first person rpgs off the grid, but they were proper rpgs and didn't have particularly thrilling action (#2 in my style listing). They don't really make games like that much anymore (Morrowind is the last and I can only think of Delver and Barony as recent indie versions), so I'm sure it seemed straight forward to those devs to make the action more like a proper first person action game. That does introduce a lot of extra dev work and I think that broke their schedules and caused the projects to go off rails. Had they focused on making an rpg and accepted potentially anemic action gameplay I think they could've turned out a lot better. I dunno how modern gamers would react to that though.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

I don't like games that require me to make decisions faster than real time - e.g. doing the actions for four characters at a time, especially when some of those actions are more complicated - e.g. most magic systems in blobber dungeon crawls.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Angrymog posted:

I don't like games that require me to make decisions faster than real time - e.g. doing the actions for four characters at a time, especially when some of those actions are more complicated - e.g. most magic systems in blobber dungeon crawls.

Funny that you should say that, because I've been playing some early Dragon Quest games lately, and I've started to get slightly annoyed with games where you have to pick your actions for your whole team at the start of the round, then watch everyone go in an essentially random order and hope that your healer acts before one of your fighters gets killed. I've found myself really wishing that a turn order could just be rolled and I could decide what to do as each character's turn comes up, rather than guessing what I might need and risking my luck. This is not helped by the fact that early-game DQ3 and 4 has basically no convenient way to resurrect the dead. Plus, the party can only have one resurrection item at a time, the first raise dead spell only works half the time (seriously, whoever came up with that is an arsehole) and the only reliable spell to raise the dead only comes when you're about at the level to fight the final boss anyway.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

JustJeff88 posted:

Funny that you should say that, because I've been playing some early Dragon Quest games lately, and I've started to get slightly annoyed with games where you have to pick your actions for your whole team at the start of the round, then watch everyone go in an essentially random order and hope that your healer acts before one of your fighters gets killed. I've found myself really wishing that a turn order could just be rolled and I could decide what to do as each character's turn comes up, rather than guessing what I might need and risking my luck. This is not helped by the fact that early-game DQ3 and 4 has basically no convenient way to resurrect the dead. Plus, the party can only have one resurrection item at a time, the first raise dead spell only works half the time (seriously, whoever came up with that is an arsehole) and the only reliable spell to raise the dead only comes when you're about at the level to fight the final boss anyway.

Deciding what to do as each character's turn comes up is fine; I mean games like EoB, Dungeon Master, Grimrock et al. But yeah, the essentially random party order thing (the Bards Tale does it too) can be frustrating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Yeah, deterministic speed is one of the keys to combat that feels like a solvable micro-puzzle with a solution if you've been preparing and resource managing properly, instead of just a dice roll.

I think misses are similar. It's not that they shouldn't exist, but I've always felt like in a turn based system allies and enemies alike should have to take a specific action to dodge things, whether it's a feint, counter, or whatever.