Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
He'd rather not buy second hand because it's for a present. He needs an amp to hook to a turntable, and apparently they only work through RCA and USB.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I wish him the best. Does the turntable at least output line level RCA? Most modern ones can but it’s not guaranteed. If not he’ll need a phono preamp between the speakers and the turntable (get a cheap behringer one for like $20), or he’ll have to shell out $400 for something like the Kanto YU6 that accept a phono level via RCA.

Edifier R1280T Powered Bookshelf Speakers - 2.0 Active Near Field Monitors - Studio Monitor Speaker - Wooden Enclosure - 42 Watts RMS https://www.amazon.com/dp/B016P9HJIA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_HOrgCbJCJ1TN4

This is the kind of thing hell get for his budget. 4” woofers so if he listens to bass heavy music, they’re not ideal. But they’re probably fine. I’ve not seen any floorstanders that’ll suit him personally, but they may exist.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Can anyone explain to me in simple terms what noise floor is and how I, as just a general consumer and not an audio professional or huge audiophile, would be impacted by a DAC/Amp that purportedly has a bad noise floor?

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

JebanyPedal posted:

Can anyone explain to me in simple terms what noise floor is and how I, as just a general consumer and not an audio professional or huge audiophile, would be impacted by a DAC/Amp that purportedly has a bad noise floor?

Turn on the amp and set the volume up to normal listening levels while nothing is playing and listen for a hiss/static in your cans. The quieter that is, the lower the noise floor. If it’s lovely you’ll know

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

JebanyPedal posted:

Did you buy that Audio-gd thing that audiosciencereview measured at less than like 60dB of dynamic range? Cause lol.

You’d almost definitely hear hiss at that kind of noise floor. You generally want gear to be silent down to at least 90dB to be sure you don’t hear extraneous noise in a very quiet room.

That said, if you already own it and it makes you happy, don’t fret. Plenty of people enjoy listening to vinyl and it only has a dynamic range of like 70dB at best. There’s rarely absolute silence in real recordings anyway.

eddiewalker fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Dec 22, 2018

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

eddiewalker posted:

Did you buy that Audio-gd thing that audiosciencereview measured at less than like 60dB of dynamic range? Cause lol.

You’d almost definitely hear hiss at that kind of noise floor. You generally want gear to be silent down to at least 90dB to be sure you don’t hear extraneous noise in a very quiet room.

That said, if you already own it and it makes you happy, don’t fret. Plenty of people enjoy listening to vinyl and it only has a dynamic range of like 70dB at best. There’s rarely absolute silence in real recordings anyway.

No I was just curious while reading reviews thankfully. I'm not too tore up about a tiny bit of hiss but it does make shopping for a DAC easier now that I know.

Thanks guys.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
There’s enough cheap gear that measures well these days that there’s no reason to buy snake oil or junk.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

eddiewalker posted:

There’s enough cheap gear that measures well these days that there’s no reason to buy snake oil or junk.

I just refuse to buy any sort of electronics until I understand what to look for in a good one on at least a fundamental level, especially with audio and every forum you look at talking about a product is filled with jargon and extreme nitpicking.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Not sure if this is the right thread for it but I'll try anyway. I just upgraded my home theatre system to a 55" LG LED TV and an Onkyo HT-R494 receiver. I also grabbed a Logitech Harmony universal remote to tie everything together and it's doing a fairly nice job, but I'm having one issue and I'm wondering if it's even possible to solve through the remote and the Onkyo unit:

I've got a computer connected to one of the receiver's HDMI ins and its optical audio input. The TV is also connected to the receiver via ARC. Apparently on the receiver, optical and ARC audio ins can't be enabled simultaneously. This means if I switch to the computer as an input source, I have to use the Onkyo remote and menu-dive a bit to switch the audio input from ARC to optical, and vice-versa if I want to use the TV as the audio source.

Is there a workaround for this? Seems like there may be a way to setup the Logitech remote to take a bunch of steps that simulate the manual menu-diving and switch the input, but I'm wondering if there's a faster way.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Why don't you just use the HDMI for audio from the PC?

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
It's an older Mac and I don't think the video card will support that.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Mister Speaker posted:

It's an older Mac and I don't think the video card will support that.

Is it a Mac that has a built in HDMI port or are you using some sort of an adapter? Because if it has an HDMI port, it should support audio through it, though you may have to manually select it in the sound preferences.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

empty baggie posted:

Is it a Mac that has a built in HDMI port or are you using some sort of an adapter? Because if it has an HDMI port, it should support audio through it, though you may have to manually select it in the sound preferences.

At one point in my life I had a handful of Mac SE's and maybe some Plusses too, and I thought about putting one in each room in the house connected by phone lines so you could message people with Mac Net or whatever they called that, but I most definitely did not ever do that.

That's my older mac story.

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011
I just got a new headset for my PC. I have an MSI Z370-A motherboard with realtek audio drivers. I have a pair of speakers with a subwoofer. I can't get the audio to switch between the headset and the speakers without plugging and unplugging the headset jack, which I'm getting pretty tired of pretty fast. I used to be able to switch between an older headset with a USB plug in the windows sound settings, but now what I assume are the speakers show up as unplugged whenever the headset jack is in.

Edit: Fixed it by uninstalling the realtek audio drivers.

Struensee fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Dec 27, 2018

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Struensee posted:

I just got a new headset for my PC. I have an MSI Z370-A motherboard with realtek audio drivers. I have a pair of speakers with a subwoofer. I can't get the audio to switch between the headset and the speakers without plugging and unplugging the headset jack, which I'm getting pretty tired of pretty fast. I used to be able to switch between an older headset with a USB plug in the windows sound settings, but now what I assume are the speakers show up as unplugged whenever the headset jack is in.

Edit: Fixed it by uninstalling the realtek audio drivers.

Realtek is loving horrible.

EDIT: Speaking of, is there any decent audio/EQ software you guys can recommend?

Lil Swamp Booger Baby fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Dec 28, 2018

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

JebanyPedal posted:

Realtek is loving horrible.

EDIT: Speaking of, is there any decent audio/EQ software you guys can recommend?

You mean EQ software for the PC?

https://sourceforge.net/projects/equalizerapo/

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
A goon received a Crosley Cruiser for xmas (yeah, don't get me started) and he's looking for a replacement stylus for it (one that won't absolutely destroy his LPs). The model number of the turntable is Cr8005a and I'm trying to find a decent replacement that can be shipped to Chile.

1. Anyone know of a decent stylus?
2. Got to be able to ship to Chile.

I'm trying to find one that isn't a one-piece entirely plastic unit (pictured below)

Thanks!

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Blistex posted:

A goon received a Crosley Cruiser for xmas (yeah, don't get me started) and he's looking for a replacement stylus for it (one that won't absolutely destroy his LPs). The model number of the turntable is Cr8005a and I'm trying to find a decent replacement that can be shipped to Chile.

1. Anyone know of a decent stylus?
2. Got to be able to ship to Chile.

I'm trying to find one that isn't a one-piece entirely plastic unit (pictured below)

Thanks!

Wouldn’t you generally replace the entire cartridge, not just the needle/stylus? And you need to be sure you’ve got enough counterweight on the tonearm to support the new cartridge.

I don’t think the part you linked is the “universal” part. There’s a diamond in that red plastic bit, btw. It’s probably not the most damaging thing in the world as long as the tone arm has the proper weight.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

eddiewalker posted:

Wouldn’t you generally replace the entire cartridge, not just the needle/stylus? And you need to be sure you’ve got enough counterweight on the tonearm to support the new cartridge.

I don’t think the part you linked is the “universal” part. There’s a diamond in that red plastic bit, btw. It’s probably not the most damaging thing in the world as long as the tone arm has the proper weight.

Yeah, I mean the cartridge (been a while since I have talked shop). Some reviewers have said that the original cartridge is not up to snuff and causes damage to the LPs after several runs (as in they can hear the frequency of cracks and pops increase).

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
So I think I have my receiver issue sorted out. For some reason the computer didn't agree with one of my optical cables, so I switched it out with the one connected to the TV and everything seems to work.

But I'm having another somewhat disconcerting issue with the reciever: when I switch to the Bluetooth input via my Harmony remote, the Onkyo receiver... turns off. Could this be a power draw issue; does Bluetooth require more juice to connect? I am drawing a lot of power in this room.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

What if you don’t use the harmony remote, maybe it’s sending the wrong signal and that’s causing the shutdown.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

EL BROMANCE posted:

What if you don’t use the harmony remote, maybe it’s sending the wrong signal and that’s causing the shutdown.

That just occurred to me too, there's an option chart in the Harmony's setup app that allows you to program button sequences. it's possible I accidentally added some stupid button press that's turning the unit off. I'll check when I get home, thanks!

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

So what's up with amps just straight up lying these days?

This amp! 7.1 channel AVR, 130w per channel!

[specs]
50w Power Output (8 ohm, 20 Hz - 20 kHz, 0.08% 2ch Drive)
130w Power Output (6 ohm, 1 kHz, 1% 1ch Drive)

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Ak Gara posted:

[specs]

These days? The audio industry has always posted bullshit figures. I love especially how it's listed as output into a lower resistance, single channel at an incredibly easy to drive frequency. The hi-fi industry!

Otherwise known as Watts ISL (if struck by lightning)

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Ak Gara posted:

[specs]
People don't know how watts work and if they told the truth nobody would buy their stuff over another company that was lying

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

It's a stupid measure anyways because it has very little to do with how loud something sounds. With the right speakers, I can make you go deaf with 1wpc.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

KillHour posted:

It's a stupid measure anyways because it has very little to do with how loud something sounds. With the right speakers, I can make you go deaf with 1wpc.

That reminds me, putting 4 drivers in a tight group setup in series+parallel+each powered would give +12db to the sensitivity, right? Yet I don't recall a setup like that. (apart from WTW centers) How come, lobing?

Ak Gara fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Dec 30, 2018

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

KillHour posted:

It's a stupid measure anyways because it has very little to do with how loud something sounds.

Watts for marketing, voltage for actual measurement.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Not sure if this question fits the thread, but it doesn’t really fit anywhere else. Does anyone have personal experience with a CD player for an elderly person to use with audio books? I have tried what I thought were the most simple models available and it still frustrates her. She has 0 tech experience, so I need something that will 1) start the audio book at the same point she stopped it last and 2) have very easy to remember steps to listen.

I thought the kids CD player I got would work, but pressing next track completely threw her off and she couldn’t navigate back to where she was in the book. Cassette tapes worked well for this but they’re becoming hard to find, especially anything new.

I have also considered something voice activated like Alexa, but she doesn’t have internet or a computer so it would be a large purchase to set up.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

hot sauce posted:

Not sure if this question fits the thread, but it doesn’t really fit anywhere else. Does anyone have personal experience with a CD player for an elderly person to use with audio books? I have tried what I thought were the most simple models available and it still frustrates her. She has 0 tech experience, so I need something that will 1) start the audio book at the same point she stopped it last and 2) have very easy to remember steps to listen.

I thought the kids CD player I got would work, but pressing next track completely threw her off and she couldn’t navigate back to where she was in the book. Cassette tapes worked well for this but they’re becoming hard to find, especially anything new.

I have also considered something voice activated like Alexa, but she doesn’t have internet or a computer so it would be a large purchase to set up.

Sony called that “resume.” This article has a small list of Discmans that included the feature.

https://biowrite.wordpress.com/2017/04/12/audio-books-for-the-visually-impaired-cheap-alternative-to-special-mp3-player/

Probably wouldn’t be hard to find something cheap on eBay.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
An audible account with an Alexa sounds like it would be perfect if you got everything set up. Audible is expensive though, I think.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

There's also this thing aimed at people with dementia.

Should be able to build a similar thing with some tech expertise and a raspberry pi as well.

edit: you can still buy empty tapes and record to them I guess

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I got (for free) a Sony PS-FL7II, a sweet-rear end drawer-type record player which actually works, somehow. Only issue is it has a skipping problem. I don't see any way to adjust the tonearm, and loving with the tracking force isn't fixing it either. It's doing it on brand new vinyl, so I know it isn't the records. I assume it just needs a new cartridge?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

I got (for free) a Sony PS-FL7II, a sweet-rear end drawer-type record player which actually works, somehow. Only issue is it has a skipping problem. I don't see any way to adjust the tonearm, and loving with the tracking force isn't fixing it either. It's doing it on brand new vinyl, so I know it isn't the records. I assume it just needs a new cartridge?

It's possible? Do you have another cartridge you can try? I might take that to a repair shop though.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

That sounds like when I had a bent tonearm, maybe check to make sure it's straight.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

BigFactory posted:

It's possible? Do you have another cartridge you can try? I might take that to a repair shop though.
I'll ask my buddy if he's got one I can borrow. Hopefully it isn't anything wrong with the turntable or arm, it otherwise plays fine, just runs into a skip loop every few minutes.

qirex posted:

That sounds like when I had a bent tonearm, maybe check to make sure it's straight.
Unfortunately since it's a drawer-type deal, I can only see part of the tonearm, it's encased in this housing thing. Gee, can't imagine why these went out of style.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

eddiewalker posted:

Sony called that “resume.” This article has a small list of Discmans that included the feature.

https://biowrite.wordpress.com/2017/04/12/audio-books-for-the-visually-impaired-cheap-alternative-to-special-mp3-player/

Probably wouldn’t be hard to find something cheap on eBay.

BigFactory posted:

An audible account with an Alexa sounds like it would be perfect if you got everything set up. Audible is expensive though, I think.

Flipperwaldt posted:

There's also this thing aimed at people with dementia.

Should be able to build a similar thing with some tech expertise and a raspberry pi as well.

edit: you can still buy empty tapes and record to them I guess

Thanks for the responses. I’m going to try a couple more CD players with that feature and see if it’ll work.

Recording audio to empty tapes is a last resort, but I’ll do it if necessary. It would just be really time consuming and a bit wasteful :/

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Hire Morgan Freeman to come and read books out loud for her.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
That’s the first thing I’ll do after winning the lottery :cheers:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Looking for Bluetooth/USB speaker recommendations to output audio from a cellphone. My mom does children's choir at her church and for the last few years she's just been (having me) burn CDs with the one or two songs she's teaching the kids. I think it might be easier on everybody if we could just load up her phone with the songs and amplify that out to a room.

I was looking at karaoke units for this but it's a small enough group that she doesn't really need the microphone. Being able to charge the phone off the speaker itself would be a nice plus as well. There's stuff like this on Amazon/Best Buy, but if anyone has used one before and can recommend a brand to start with I'd appreciate it.