Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who wins the champ this year?
This poll is closed.
A contracted Cleveland Cavs team. 4 4.60%
DUNK CITY'S REVENGE 4 4.60%
Not Gonzaga 5 5.75%
gently caress Duke 47 54.02%
Not your team, that's for sure 15 17.24%
Your 10 y/o niece's bracket pick 12 13.79%
Total: 87 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
I don’t think it’s an exaggeration to say that this is the genuinely best accomplishment in Liberty University’s history.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

ahahaha happy new year poo poo head

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Lol. There’s really nothing else to say

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Come to Illinois Steve

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

If you were the Bruins would you really go after Hoiberg over a North Hollywood born Jamie Dixon or a Musselman?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I think Hoiberg was a better in game coach than those two when he was in college but he'd have to actually recruit at UCLA because they're so strict with transfers so that might not go so well, especially with USC already kinda cleaning their clock recruiting wise in LA.

mastershakeman posted:

Come to Illinois Steve

Ideally he would never work in college basketball again because he is human garbage but if he has to I would happily accept this.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
woohoo gently caress you Steve I dance on your grave

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

lol good

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

kiimo posted:

If you were the Bruins would you really go after Hoiberg over a North Hollywood born Jamie Dixon or a Musselman?

Why not North Hollywood Bank Robber Emil Mătăsăreanu?

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I have no idea what the gently caress is going on with Illinois basketball. I didn't have high expectations for this season, but to lose at home to FAU to go to 4-9, just, what the gently caress. The players don't look interested in running any sort of offense, they don't seem to come into games ready to play, and it just is a mess. Brad Underwood after every game gives the same excuses of "We were outcoached" or "We just need to get some more stops" or stupid poo poo like that. At this point, I don't see them winning more than 8 games this year, and that's a big big big stretch. Realistically, I think they'll get 6 wins.

I thought Illinois hit bottom under Bruce Weber when Jamar Smith got drunk and crashed his car with another player inside back in 2008 or so, and Illinois had 16 wins that year, finishing 9th in the Big Ten. Nope, we continued to dig a hole. Then I thought we hit bottom under Weber when the recruits stopped coming and he got canned his last year, getting 17 wins and finishing 9th in the Big Ten. Also wrong. Then I thought we hit bottom under John Groce in 2015-16 when he won 15 games and finished 12th in the Big Ten. Now we've continued to dig this loving hole and if this isn't rock bottom I don't know what is. Just a goddamn dumpster fire of epic proportions.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
man it seriously took losing to liberty for UCLA to finally give alford the boot

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

man it seriously took losing to liberty for UCLA to finally give alford the boot

Listen they had to wait for Bryce Alford to graduate, they couldn't afford to lose a blue chip like that

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Dejan Bimble posted:

Listen they had to wait for Bryce Alford to graduate, they couldn't afford to lose a blue chip like that

i legit forgot that dude existed what with lonzo ball being the talk of town in 2016-2017 and never bothered to draw the connection until now lol

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

i legit forgot that dude existed what with lonzo ball being the talk of town in 2016-2017 and never bothered to draw the connection until now lol

He and TJ Leaf honestly carried Lonzo Ball in the half court. If not for having two real ball handling playmakers to pick up the slack when he wasn't running the break or shooting off the dribble threes, he probably falls like 5 or 7 spots in the draft.

He's in the G-league now which seems to be a common courtesy for okay enough famous coach's sons

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

What happened to Calipari's kid?

Not Earned Not Given?

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002
For some reason he's redshirting this year.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Fathering Bryce was honestly probably one of the 3 or 4 best things Alford did for UCLA

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
I am about to watch Texas Tech dismantle WVU. Good times. Goooood times.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Thank god conference play is finally starting. Here’s to ISU continuing to crush OSU dreams.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Bird in a Blender posted:

Thank god conference play is finally starting. Here’s to ISU continuing to crush OSU dreams.

This WVU/Tech game is some of the worst basketball I have ever seen at this level.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Nebraska/Maryland is a really good game.

edit since I thought this was the GDT: Nebraska loses another road game they were more than capable of winning. We have to win these kinds of games and be able to put teams away.

Dango Bango fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Jan 3, 2019

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

This WVU/Tech game is some of the worst basketball I have ever seen at this level.

I didn’t realize WVU was that bad this year, but I guess they did lose a lot.

ISU won on the road to beat Okie State. A good start.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Bird in a Blender posted:

I didn’t realize WVU was that bad this year, but I guess they did lose a lot.

ISU won on the road to beat Okie State. A good start.

There's still plenty of talent and I think we can still maybe make the NCAA, but it's going to be a struggle session. The point play is just bad, no way around it; Esa Ahmad is extremely talented but just... his effort is often lacking; Sagaba Konante has not played in like three weeks and isn't likely to see playing time again till maybe February due to an ongoing knee issue and, frankly, his head being in the draft -- he kept trying to do the things he's not great at, like shooting threes, instead of the things Huggs needs him to do.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners

kiimo posted:

would Dixon leave his alma mater for that job, though? I know it's UCLA, but I was under the impression that they're second-fiddle (in terms of resources and fan interest) to football right now

nobody touch Kelvin Sampson, thanks

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I mean, if there's one thing that LA people do care about its basketball. UCLA fans want a good basketball team. It's been a clown show for years, though.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

kiimo posted:

I mean, if there's one thing that LA people do care about its basketball. UCLA fans want a good basketball team. It's been a clown show for years, though.

Ben Howland made 3 straight finals fours not terribly long ago so it hasn't been completely hopeless, but yeah the expectations are insane and I still have no idea how a program like that wound up settling for someone like Alford.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

MourningView posted:

Ben Howland made 3 straight finals fours not terribly long ago so it hasn't been completely hopeless, but yeah the expectations are insane and I still have no idea how a program like that wound up settling for someone like Alford.

I think they fell in love with his wins at New Mexico, which was pretty wild (and that they'd wiffed on some other people.)

It's one of the "best" jobs in the NCAA, but a lot of big names have skipped out on it. I'd guess they'll go for a splashy hire.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
if they want another former UNM coach, Dave Bliss is currently unemployed

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Got this text from a UCLA friend. For whatever it's worth

quote:

Just picked up my phone, missed the entire discussion. But here are a few bullet points:

Mussleman and Watson aren’t really candidates for the job. It’s their camp that has the interest, not really UCLA.

Dixon is probably the best candidate for the job, but there is some question as to whether he’d take it. TCU is his Alma mater and some people question whether he’d coach at a place his mentor (Ben Howland) was fired. But he checks all the boxes, and would be my realistic dream hire.

Billy Donovan is apparently still a dream candidate for UCLA. Apparently part of the reason Alford wasn’t fired after last season is because they knew Donovan wasn’t available then. I don’t think he’ll be available, but I’d love to see him at UCLA.

Jay Wright, Mark Few, Chris Mack and Archie Miller will all get calls but no one expects them to entertain a deal

I agree with [kiimo], Hoiberg is a fraud and I’d personally consider it a failure if he was hired, but UCLA will consider him.

Other guys on the list are apparently: Kevin Keatts, Mike Brey, Mick Cronin, Greg Marshall [editor: can you imagine this rear end in a top hat at UCLA lol], Chris Beard, Shaka Smart and a couple others are all currently 2nd or 3rd tier guys on their list.

Hoiberg is apparently repped by Casey Wassermans Agency, which is currently the biggest reason why he would be considered for the job. Whoever gets hired, it’ll be after the season is over. Just read that Bob Meyers (current GM for the Warriors and UCLA Alumnus) will be a part of the search committee. UCLA boards are afraid that’s a good sign for Hoiberg, who is apparently close with Meyers. Incidentally I personally believe Shaka Smart is a bigger fraud than Hoiberg.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Kevin Keatts just got a raise and a 6-year extension like 2 weeks ago so probably take him off the list

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Bol Bol OFY, will enter draft

:rip:

e: I've forgotten how much I hate the charge/block dichotomy

Nissin Cup Nudist fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Jan 4, 2019

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Tremendous second half sees NC State start ACC play with a win at Miami. Wolfpack depth is going to cause a lot of problems for most of the teams they play.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Bol Bol OFY, will enter draft

I came here after seeing the news to see if anyone had noted this and it still took me a second to get Out For Year here.

Anyway, stress fracture in his foot, which makes me :ohdear: for his future since he's a very large man with foot problems.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Big ten basketball is back! Gophers lead badgers 29-15 at the half or some poo poo like that.

:suicide:

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Grittybeard posted:

I came here after seeing the news to see if anyone had noted this and it still took me a second to get Out For Year here.

Anyway, stress fracture in his foot, which makes me :ohdear: for his future since he's a very large man with foot problems.

anyone that would be drafting him would already be aware of the inherent risk of drafting a giant made of balsa

it might drop his stock a bit but he’s a pretty known quantity at this point

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Yeah I'm not worried about his draft position, I'd just like him to have a chance to fail on his own rather than be hobbled into it.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Baylor women just gave UConn their first regular season loss since 2014

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I don't know what's more impressive, that streak or that someone beat them

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak
Mark it 9, dude
https://mobile.twitter.com/SECNetwork/status/1080981154340188165

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I look forward to a high ranked Kentucky team running into Wisconsin and losing, again :getin: