Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who wins the champ this year?
This poll is closed.
A contracted Cleveland Cavs team. 4 4.60%
DUNK CITY'S REVENGE 4 4.60%
Not Gonzaga 5 5.75%
gently caress Duke 47 54.02%
Not your team, that's for sure 15 17.24%
Your 10 y/o niece's bracket pick 12 13.79%
Total: 87 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Last year gave us Villanova slaughtering everyone from thirty feet out. This year, we don't have Grayson Allen, but do still have the lingering nimbus of an FBI investigation hanging over everyone.

A series of questions arise: Are the Cayuts back? Will Coach K ever stop tormenting us with his presence? Which Mizzou captain is going to go down with a horrid injury next? And finally, most importantly of all... is UCI legit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

gently caress DUKE

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

My teams are UNT, PSU, and Nova. All 3 of them won a postseason tourney last season. Can they use that success to springboard this season forward?

Prob not.

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

Probably Magic posted:

Which Mizzou captain is going to go down with a horrid injury next?

:(

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I have zero clue how the Cyclones are going to be this year. They were pretty bad last year, but showed signs of talent. That was expected since 4/5 starters left and there was some serious gaps in recruiting to fill those holes. I'm hoping for somewhere in the middle of the Big 12, and hopefully sneaking into the tournament.

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious
Mizzou had their bad injury for the year already

:smith:

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

the mean lunch lady posted:

Mizzou had their bad injury for the year already

:smith:

Yeah but don't tempt fate. :smith:

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I think Arizona will be middle of the Pac-12, maybe go farther in the Pac tournament than they should.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Kansas / MSU tonight.

Watch what happens when a team doesn't have experienced guard play for the first time in 13 years

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
If everything breaks right for UNLV then they might avoid the play in game for the Mountain West Tournament

The team is probably two years away from maybe being able to get a 4th place finish

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Buffalo pulling away from St. Francis in the second half, about to chalk up the first win of the year.

So much stuff on tonight you can completely ignore election returns AND Duke-Kentucky if you need the distraction.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Excited to watch Andrew Nembhard run the Gator offense tonight. Chiozza left some big shoes to fill.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
gently caress Duke

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

Lessail posted:

If everything breaks right for UNLV then they might avoid the play in game for the Mountain West Tournament

The team is probably two years away from maybe being able to get a 4th place finish

I would like to say that Menzies tends to do more with less, but the outlook isn’t looking good.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

FartingBedpost posted:

I would like to say that Menzies tends to do more with less, but the outlook isn’t looking good.

You mean ignoring 3 point shooting and recruiting big men who only started playing the game 2 years ago isn't the best strategy?!?

A Big Dark Yak
Dec 28, 2007
It's only the end of the world.

Loving the post-game interview being eclipsed by the crowd booing Duke's entry.

Because gently caress Duke.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

In case you were curious, Dick Vitale is somehow worse now.

Also he wrote a book, get used to hearing about it.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Yves Pons loving owns

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak
Go Cats!

gently caress Duke.

And let's start this game already, I have a poorly timed extra early meeting at work tomorrow.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/yahooforde/status/1060006198810996736?s=21

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Way to go, Kentucky

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

gently caress Duke. :(

I'll also be the first to admit I was one of those who thought the Zion hype was overblown since he was dunking on skinny white kids who went to private school. He's, uh, freakishly good, actually.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Well ISU beat Alabama State, although that was never really in doubt. Lard and Talley are out for November for disciplinary reasons, Solomon Young is out with a groin injury, so lots of freshman are going to play this fall. At least everyone should be back and ready by the time Big 12 play starts, which is all that really matters to me.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Went to Nebraska's opener against Mississippi Valley State last night; we won 106-37.

I've been to my share of Husker games and don't think I've ever seen a team as bad as MVSU. They were 19% from the field and 1 for 15 from behind the arc — the lone 3 coming very late in the game. And it's not like our D was so stout that they weren't getting looks.

I guess what I'm saying is that if you're a fan of Texas Tech, Utah, Illinois or another of their opponents this season, you're in for a treat

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I don't see how you draft anyone over Zion #1

also retire, Dick Vitale.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

RumbleFish posted:

gently caress Duke. :(

I'll also be the first to admit I was one of those who thought the Zion hype was overblown since he was dunking on skinny white kids who went to private school. He's, uh, freakishly good, actually.

I knew about Barrett because I had seen him play for Canada; I had not seen Zion outside of highlight clips against skinny kids. Holy gently caress.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Jack's Flow posted:

I knew about Barrett because I had seen him play for Canada; I had not seen Zion outside of highlight clips against skinny kids. Holy gently caress.

I'd imagine it helps some that compared to Zion he's still playing against a bunch of skinny kids.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

Adun posted:

Folks Duke is looking to be fun as gently caress this year. Get in, the water's warm.

I tried to tell y’all

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

Joey Freshwater posted:

Yves Pons loving owns

Vols looked good. If Jordan Bone takes a big step forward, this team could be super special.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Adun posted:

I tried to tell y’all

I see, but have you considered "gently caress duke"?

I for one look forward to their 2nd round exit out of the tourney.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

iospace posted:

I see, but have you considered "gently caress duke"?

I for one look forward to their 2nd round exit out of the tourney.

Sure but they’ll put up 100 and look great on the way out of the first weekend

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 5 days!)

Evansville poo poo canned their coach and replaced him with a new guy because of "declining ticket sales". Maybe people would go to the game if tickets to see The Purple Aces lose to the San Antonio Bible College weren't 18 loving dollars you pricks!

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 5 days!)

I know you Duke guys and Kansas guys and UCLA Guys (?) are gonna be like "EIGHTEEN DOLLARS WOW" but we're talkin bottom of the basement Valley basketball here. There are literally High School games that are better basketball here in the same town.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

College refs are the loving worst. Ohio State dude hit a three and then looked at the defender while moving backward down court and he got a T.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Peanut President posted:

I know you Duke guys and Kansas guys and UCLA Guys (?) are gonna be like "EIGHTEEN DOLLARS WOW" but we're talkin bottom of the basement Valley basketball here. There are literally High School games that are better basketball here in the same town.

Kansas charges students $155 for tickets to all sports games.

The students use these tickets to go to basketball games exclusively. I am not sure if that is a deal or not.

"Students can purchase a Football-Only pass for $55, but the All Sports Combo must be purchased to be permitted into men’s basketball games."

I'm thinking nobody buys this one.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

St. Edward's, a D2 Catholic university in Austin, became this season's first non-D1 school to claim a D1 scalp, beating Texas-San Antonio tonight by a single point.

campfire
Feb 19, 2008

Snoo Zertnert

gently caress duke

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Rick Pitino was at SDSU talking to players today for some reason. Hm.

Has anyone seen how loving loaded the Maui Invitational is?

Arizona
Auburn
Duke
Gonzaga
Illinois
Iowa State
San Diego State
Xavier

gently caress

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

a neat cape posted:

Rick Pitino was at SDSU talking to players today for some reason. Hm.

Has anyone seen how loving loaded the Maui Invitational is?

Arizona
Auburn
Duke
Gonzaga
Illinois
Iowa State
San Diego State
Xavier

gently caress

I think it's great because it gives us a real look at how good/bad ISU is going to be. I just hope we don't get swept out of it. ISU plays Arizona to start, whoof. If they lose, they play Gonzaga or Illinois.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Bird in a Blender posted:

I think it's great because it gives us a real look at how good/bad ISU is going to be. I just hope we don't get swept out of it. ISU plays Arizona to start, whoof. If they lose, they play Gonzaga or Illinois.

Iowa State is in an interesting position, I think. But good news, outside of Kansas the league is pretty open. TCU might be the second best team.

Kansas State is not, in anyway, a good team and I want everyone to stop saying that poo poo.