Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Sean with a bunch of Adam pally cocaine jokes, and he’s their next guest. Ep is gonna be a corker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Sean and Hayes are on the latest Womp It Up in case anyone missed it

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
The Adam Pally cocaine jokes are amazing.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

Help Im Alive posted:

Sean and Hayes are on the latest Womp It Up in case anyone missed it

Thank you. I follow this thread mostly bc the boys don’t share when they are on other poo poo.

Mollymauk
Apr 20, 2006
"Take a going gummy and keep your cummy" Teacher's lounge is so consistently great.

Spraynard Kruger
May 8, 2007

Peecast Blast recordings are up for Stitcher Premium subscribers: https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/stitcher-premium/peecast-blast

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Terror Sweat posted:

Sean with a bunch of Adam pally cocaine jokes, and he’s their next guest. Ep is gonna be a corker

I laughed so hard at the promo for the Earwolf Christmas episodes when whoever was reading the copy said that the boys were hitting the slopes with Adam Pally

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
Jessica St Clair is on How Did This Get Made so I guess I'll listen to it!

Edit: God, the ads are still so bad.

crepeface fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Dec 24, 2018

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

rapeface posted:

RIP

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

rapeface posted:

Edit: God, the ads are still so bad.

I never listen to ads so I can't comment (they're just too long) but the show was fun. It became totally derailed but the movie was fluff anyway so who cares?

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

The Ape of Naples posted:

I never listen to ads so I can't comment (they're just too long) but the show was fun. It became totally derailed but the movie was fluff anyway so who cares?

I mean the timing rather than the content.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I thought the Christmas HDTGM episode was pretty good.

It did make me wonder, has June Diane Raphael ever been on Comedy Bang Bang? I feel like she's the only Earwolf personality who hasn't been. I guess Amy Nicholson too. Who I'm surprised hasn't been on HDTGM given all the cross-promotion of show hosts Earwolf does.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Whats the episode like if you haven’t seen the film? Problem with that show is, I’ve rarely seen the movies they cover (newest thing they’ve done I’ve seen is Geostorm in April, and that wasn’t by my choice). Altho it’s fun to dig into the archive if I ever get around to things I know they’ve done.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

EL BROMANCE posted:

Whats the episode like if you haven’t seen the film? Problem with that show is, I’ve rarely seen the movies they cover (newest thing they’ve done I’ve seen is Geostorm in April, and that wasn’t by my choice). Altho it’s fun to dig into the archive if I ever get around to things I know they’ve done.

I think the show might me more fun when you don't watch the movies. I almost never have seen the movies they've done. I don't think it's necessary, especially considering how bad some of the movies are. This particular episode really doesn't require seeing the movie because they spend relatively little time on it and it seem like the usual Christmas romance TV movie.

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL
Yeah the episode is mostly about Mario Lopez's chest hair, plus Paul telling stories about dates he went on in middle school and June getting mad.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!

EL BROMANCE posted:

Whats the episode like if you haven’t seen the film?

Watching the movie before listening to HDTGM ruined the show for me, made me realize a lot of the things they had exaggerated reactions to were entirely misunderstood or misremembered. Its effectively as though they didn't watch the movie, just skimmed through and read a synopsis later. Sometimes it's fun when one of them misunderstands something and they riff on it, but usually everyone's wrong and I don't get why they involve a movie at all.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Chairman Capone posted:

It did make me wonder, has June Diane Raphael ever been on Comedy Bang Bang?

She's been on twice, but it's been a long time, and the only one I remember (with Casey Wilson) was pretty bad imo.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Crindee posted:

Yeah the episode is mostly about Mario Lopez's chest hair, plus Paul telling stories about dates he went on in middle school and June getting mad.

I like when Paul shares a story about his early life. Every anecdote makes it seem like he had a very bizarre and sometimes grim youth. Especially when he brings up something that June apparently was unaware of before he dropped it casually on the podcast.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Fiendly posted:

Watching the movie before listening to HDTGM ruined the show for me, made me realize a lot of the things they had exaggerated reactions to were entirely misunderstood or misremembered. Its effectively as though they didn't watch the movie, just skimmed through and read a synopsis later. Sometimes it's fun when one of them misunderstands something and they riff on it, but usually everyone's wrong and I don't get why they involve a movie at all.

Agreed.

Also, the ep with Jessica St Clair was good.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

adam pally on hollywood handbook to talk about hitting the slopes

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

smh @ earwolf wanting to put HH behind the paywall

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Help Im Alive posted:

smh @ earwolf wanting to put HH behind the paywall

Sean's "lawyer" answering the phone with "CLEMDAWWWWG" had me laughing like a lunatic in public.

anotherone
Feb 8, 2001
Username taken, please choose another one
I was expecting them to dig into what the lawyer guy meant when he said that moving behind the paywall would create more value for the listeners. That's pretty heavy BS. I don't think that negotiation went the way they were planning.

naphta
Sep 18, 2008
Anybody happen to know the eps where sean tells the overly long dad jokes on hh? I know he did it on at least two.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
This week's The Flagrant One's has what might be the best theme song to date. And some basketball stuff too, whatever.

Also I loved the Car Door in the desert joke, but I cannot remember which episode it was on.

E: car door joke was the Patton Oswald ep from July.

Malcolm Excellent fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Dec 29, 2018

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

https://twitter.com/KevinJBartelt/status/1080557715426951169

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...
Shame on me for stereotyping, but listening to Chef Kevin on Earwolf for the past year led me to imagine someone pastier, fatter and balder and who couldn't smile properly.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Before I saw a picture I actually imagined him as weedier. I guess in my mind he just looked like that impossibly awkward intern that Besser had a few years back that went into brain imaging or whatever.

e: heh. As much of a dork as Kevin is, this made me laugh:

https://twitter.com/KevinJBartelt/status/1070552149589864449?s=20

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Jan 3, 2019

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Since it came up on the latest (free) Threedom I need to talk about the story of Rihanna's "Shut Up and Drive". Mostly because it's as close I can come to having a story about anything.

I used to work at the studio where the producers who discovered Rihanna also worked. They wrote Shut Up... for her third album. After it was recorded but before it's released they gave it to their assistant to bring home and listen to and see what she thought. As she was playing it her son, who was probably about 12 at the time, immediately pegged it as "Blue Monday". She went back and told the producers who freaked because they did totally rip off the chord progression. It's not a sample. They told the record company who then hired a musicologist to analyze the song and see how obvious it was. Long story short they decided to give New Order (or at least the writers of Blue Monday) co-writing credit for Shut Up and Drive since it wasn't simple a sample but their 'hook'.

I know this isn't interesting but I'm bored and day drunk and I like having my name in the same Wikipedia entry as Peter Hook.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

The Ape of Naples posted:

Since it came up on the latest (free) Threedom I need to talk about the story of Rihanna's "Shut Up and Drive". Mostly because it's as close I can come to having a story about anything.

I used to work at the studio where the producers who discovered Rihanna also worked. They wrote Shut Up... for her third album. After it was recorded but before it's released they gave it to their assistant to bring home and listen to and see what she thought. As she was playing it her son, who was probably about 12 at the time, immediately pegged it as "Blue Monday". She went back and told the producers who freaked because they did totally rip off the chord progression. It's not a sample. They told the record company who then hired a musicologist to analyze the song and see how obvious it was. Long story short they decided to give New Order (or at least the writers of Blue Monday) co-writing credit for Shut Up and Drive since it wasn't simple a sample but their 'hook'.

I know this isn't interesting but I'm bored and day drunk and I like having my name in the same Wikipedia entry as Peter Hook.

Hey, I liked this story, but my dad is a lawyer who used to do IP work for artists who got ripped off or said they got ripped off. He had some fun interviews with a very prominent rapper and his legal team based on a bunch of smaller-time rappers who would get invited to this guy's place for parties, freestyle and riff and poo poo while getting high, then realize later that a lot of their stuff was on his albums with no credit.

Got a lot of settlements, but it's hard to get a big settlement when the witnesses were admittedly intoxicated musicians hanging out at a house-party in the 90s and early oughts. He had similar work from country/blues jam sessions where the big guy in the room would then turn a jam session into his next big hit using his in-house band after the fact. People are lovely!

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

mlmp08 posted:

He had some fun interviews with a very prominent rapper and his legal team based on a bunch of smaller-time rappers who would get invited to this guy's place for parties, freestyle and riff and poo poo while getting high, then realize later that a lot of their stuff was on his albums with no credit.
I totally believe this and it seems like a solid (though really lovely) way of working. Though they probably spent more money on those parties and subsequently paying people as opposed to just hiring some ghost writers.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

So I bought 2 tickets to the SF Hollywood Handbook show on Feb. 2nd, but I can't make it anymore. Anyone in this thread in the bay and would like this opportunity to see the boys?

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
Wild Horses on Raised by TV is so delightful.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Okay HH fans, I find I have room for another podcast in my life and I'm wanting to give "the boys" a real chance to win me over (I listened to one or two episodes once about 4-5 years ago, had mixed feelings but I mostly enjoy them on Doughboys/CBB). It seems like there's a lot of inside jokes and lore involved, so I'd rather not jump around and cherry-pick episodes. I'm in no rush to catch up. Is there a certain point where the podcast starts getting "good", or should I just start from episode 1?

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

FitFortDanga posted:

Okay HH fans, I find I have room for another podcast in my life and I'm wanting to give "the boys" a real chance to win me over (I listened to one or two episodes once about 4-5 years ago, had mixed feelings but I mostly enjoy them on Doughboys/CBB). It seems like there's a lot of inside jokes and lore involved, so I'd rather not jump around and cherry-pick episodes. I'm in no rush to catch up. Is there a certain point where the podcast starts getting "good", or should I just start from episode 1?

There's really not a ton of lore it's just getting used to the tone of the podcast. And they've changed a few times over the years and dropped a lot of what was there in the beginning. I'd say cherry picking is fine with guests you like. The Doughboys and Scott episodes are always great, Sinbad is a classic older episode, and then the Jameela Jamil and Kate Miccui episodes were in the last few months and a lot of fun. Any episodes that focus on the engineers or Earwolf staff are about all you need for a lot of the inside jokes.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Honestly, if you really want to hear the "characters" of Hayes and Sean develop, start from Reality Show Show episode 1, then move on to HH from the start. At the beginning of RSS they're essentially themselves talking half earnestly and half ironically about the shows they review, then as the weeks go on the exposure to that much reality TV starts to rub off on them and the snark and artifice begin to creep in. By the home stretch of the series they're fully into Handbook territory, doing the fake Hollywood story intros and hostile guest interviews.

(It helps that Reality Show Show is very funny on its own. It's clear that The Boys like a few series - MTV's The Challenge, Shark Tank, Top Chef - and absolutely can't stand just about anything else. It's just as fun to hear them tear down a show they earnestly enjoy as it is when they drag a bad show.)

SunshineDanceParty posted:

There's really not a ton of lore it's just getting used to the tone of the podcast. And they've changed a few times over the years and dropped a lot of what was there in the beginning. I'd say cherry picking is fine with guests you like. The Doughboys and Scott episodes are always great, Sinbad is a classic older episode, and then the Jameela Jamil and Kate Miccui episodes were in the last few months and a lot of fun. Any episodes that focus on the engineers or Earwolf staff are about all you need for a lot of the inside jokes.

This is also a good point - the show is constantly evolving, and these days they'll usually explain the in-jokes to guests and/or the hypothetical new listener.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

I don't know if I need to be that much of a superfan, but I'm firing up RSS episode 1 right now just so I can see where it all began. I'll probably end up cherry-picking from there, at least for the first few years. Thanks!

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I love Hollywood Handbook but don't care much for RSS, fwiw. Much like any other podcast, I'd recommend just listening to a handful of shows with guests you enjoy. The PFT and Julie Klausner episodes are always A+, then throw in some other guests you enjoy. If you like Spontaneanation, I'd recommend listening to the crossover episodes, same with CBB.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

I loved RSS, but it probably helps to have some exposure to the reality shows they are talking about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
2018 was a solid year for HH, so really any ep will be good. The only “lore” you need is that a here are Pro version episodes, so you may miss references to jokes in that.

Just pick a year and a guest that you like and listen to that. Jump around. Listen to new episodes as they come out, as they tend to be more “topical” now (ie, they did a parody of Bandersnatch last week).

It’s more important to get a feel for the show rather than following continuity.