Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

univbee posted:

Episode 240 - Um Jammer Lammy

I find it so hard to believe that he used to play drums at one time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Um Jammer Lammy alternates between being really easy-breezy to bluff your way through and being totally unforgiving. I played it back when it came out, then recently on a PS3 and man... I thought it was the lag on my HDMI but watching Arino spend hours on that drat (heh) beaver level got me thinking that it's just the way the game is. That's the exact level that I got stuck on, and the audio didn't seem to be dsynced at the time I just couldn't loving pass it.

Arino and the AD getting into mouthing the rhythm was too funny :D

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Nipponophile posted:

I find it so hard to believe that he used to play drums at one time.

yeah brah i played drums one time too

haven't you seen his band photo

That said, Lammy has some weird timing/hitbox problems yeah. If you're not like within 90% of the note (which is often very short) then you don't get credit for it, and the shorter a set is, the easier it is to miss one or two and then lose credit for it. It helps to go a little early, because it did feel like maybe it had some kind of input lag. I cleared it pretty handily and I never had to play any stage more than twice, but yeah it takes some conscious compensation on your timing.

source: i played it yesterday for the first time

american version so i was like WHOA WHAT THE gently caress SHE DIES AND GOES TO HELL? apparently, the US version changed it so she gets launched to a remote island

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Jan 2, 2019

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
I’m watching the second legend of Zelda 2 episode and what is that message from FNN that comes up on the screen repeatedly towards the end?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Um Jammer Lammy was one of my favorites back in the day, despite being terrible at it, looking forward to this one when I get home!

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

The White Dragon posted:

haven't you seen his band photo

Which one?

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

I’m watching the second legend of Zelda 2 episode and what is that message from FNN that comes up on the screen repeatedly towards the end?
From what I remember, it's an earthquake alert. A little one; NBD.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Hirayuki posted:

From what I remember, it's an earthquake alert. A little one; NBD.

Yeah, the broadcast versions of episodes have those occur from time to time. Sometimes there's a rebroadcast where the alert doesn't occur, but beggars can't be choosers.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

These are usually significant weather/disaster warnings (e.g. earthquake or typhoon), with a list of affected cities/prefectures. Japanese TV is typically live broadcast-only (no streaming options) and repeats episodes far less often than you'd think, so you're often stuck with only one initial broadcast to record from and if the "supercedes everything" weather warning happens at that time, them's the breaks.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Kakaricho posted:

The big news - On April 29th, there will be an "History of Arino's Challenge" orchestra at Tokyo Opera City by the Japan Game Music Orchestra (JAGMO)

Two days after I leave Tokyo :doh:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

oh i didn't know the kacho was in marching band, i was talking about his garage band :v:

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

King Vidiot posted:

Um Jammer Lammy alternates between being really easy-breezy to bluff your way through and being totally unforgiving. I played it back when it came out, then recently on a PS3 and man... I thought it was the lag on my HDMI but watching Arino spend hours on that drat (heh) beaver level got me thinking that it's just the way the game is. That's the exact level that I got stuck on, and the audio didn't seem to be dsynced at the time I just couldn't loving pass it.

Arino and the AD getting into mouthing the rhythm was too funny :D

it's a little bit of both because yeah the PSN classics version of that game has some pretty wild timing issues that make it a lot harder.

PaRappa and Lammy are both genuinely pretty easy games? Lammy has some weird rhythms sometimes, but still, I can't imagine it stumping anyone for too long, but imperfect emulation and botched re-releases aren't helping.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/harddrivemag/status/1034448013882613761

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

it's a little bit of both because yeah the PSN classics version of that game has some pretty wild timing issues that make it a lot harder.

PaRappa and Lammy are both genuinely pretty easy games? Lammy has some weird rhythms sometimes, but still, I can't imagine it stumping anyone for too long, but imperfect emulation and botched re-releases aren't helping.

I was so stumped by Lammy, despite loving it. But I just have terrible rhythm. I also love the Rhythm Heaven games, but I don't think I've ever made it more than halfway through one :blush:

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

I was so stumped by Lammy, despite loving it. But I just have terrible rhythm. I also love the Rhythm Heaven games, but I don't think I've ever made it more than halfway through one :blush:

I cannot stress how bad the emulation and timing issues are for anything other than the OG PlayStation versions on real PSX hardware. The originals on a CRT are really really easy and fun, the others are just painful. The PS4 parappa HD version is the worst of them all; it's seriously unplayable, that's how bad the timing issues are.

Hit or miss Clitoris
Apr 19, 2003
I HAVE BEEN A VERY NAUGHTY BOY

What kind of monitor do they use for the show anyway? If there's lag, I gotta wonder how many losses Arino would have avoided over the years.

Thanks again for the new episode!

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

:golgo:
EVERYONE EXCEPT THE HOT WOMEN
:golgo:

univbee posted:

Episode 240 - Um Jammer Lammy

The rhythm gamer in me chuckled at this line

Tatsujin fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Jan 4, 2019

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Hit or miss Clitoris posted:

What kind of monitor do they use for the show anyway? If there's lag, I gotta wonder how many losses Arino would have avoided over the years.

Thanks again for the new episode!

It would help explain these:

Never mind...

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.
i doubt display lag is responsible for KACHO NO BONUS in any event

cubeboy
Feb 20, 2014

FOUR!!!
Episode 272 Raw I have is titled "Makuhari Documentary".

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

i doubt display lag is responsible for KACHO NO BONUS in any event

Did any obsessive retro gamers ever determine the model number of screen he uses and the lag to be expected from it? Maybe I should ask the retro thread...

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

like 2 seconds on google... SHARP AQUOS LC-19K3

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Blackchamber posted:

like 2 seconds on google... SHARP AQUOS LC-19K3

...I have no idea why it didn't occur to me to just Google it. I need to save my questions for later in the day.

I couldn't find any specific information on input lag, but could at least confirm from the Japanese manual that it has a game mode.

I gotta say it's quite the versatile TV set in any case, has RF, two composite, S-Video, D-Terminal (can be used for component via a simple adapter), VGA, 3.5mm audio and 2 HDMI inputs.

cubeboy
Feb 20, 2014

FOUR!!!

cubeboy posted:

Episode 272 Raw I have is titled "Makuhari Documentary".
I just watched this, and it doesn't seem like they revealed the mystery game, unless I totally missed it?

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

univbee posted:

...I have no idea why it didn't occur to me to just Google it. I need to save my questions for later in the day.

I couldn't find any specific information on input lag, but could at least confirm from the Japanese manual that it has a game mode.

I gotta say it's quite the versatile TV set in any case, has RF, two composite, S-Video, D-Terminal (can be used for component via a simple adapter), VGA, 3.5mm audio and 2 HDMI inputs.

The small Aquos sets from the mid-90s were amazing TVs. Of course when a 13-inch model sold for $500 Canadian, they kinda needed to be!

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

cubeboy posted:

I just watched this, and it doesn't seem like they revealed the mystery game, unless I totally missed it?

It's a Mario game.

Edit - holy hell, it's Super Mario RPG.

Kakaricho fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jan 31, 2019

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*
It's been revealed and whoa, he's playing Super Mario RPG!

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Hell yeah!!!!

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
Wow. Bets on it being a 3-parter?

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
Mario RPG is a surprisingly compact adventure, maybe he'll power through it in two episodes.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

zari-gani posted:

oh

gently caress YES that is going to be a riot. Thanks for all the hard work again, gonna love that Um Jammer Lammy episode on a rainy day.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

zari-gani posted:

It is time for the season finale, isn't it.

Adamant
Jan 30, 2013

Ka0 posted:

Mario RPG is a surprisingly compact adventure, maybe he'll power through it in two episodes.

It's also a very easy game, so it's unlikely we'll get a lot of points where he gets stuck for a while.

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.

Adamant posted:

It's also a very easy game, so it's unlikely we'll get a lot of points where he gets stuck for a while.

Yaridovich, Valentina & Dodo, or the Axem Rangers maybe?

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

ZZT the Fifth posted:

Yaridovich, Valentina & Dodo, or the Axem Rangers maybe?

Johnny could be tough if he takes out all the lil sharks and forces the 1v1 fight instead of leaving one alive so his whole party can do damage. The cake fight at the wedding could cause trouble too. Otherwise Yaridovich and Valentina were two fights I thought about as well. Wonder if he'll use Geno Whirl on the sword for the OHKO or not.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Getting warmed up for some Chrono Trigger some day, eh Kacho?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
kacho immediately uses the bucket after getting to the end of time. he has never saved

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.

Bloodplay it again posted:

Johnny could be tough if he takes out all the lil sharks and forces the 1v1 fight instead of leaving one alive so his whole party can do damage. The cake fight at the wedding could cause trouble too. Otherwise Yaridovich and Valentina were two fights I thought about as well. Wonder if he'll use Geno Whirl on the sword for the OHKO or not.

True, but Johnny and the cake have tricks to their fights that the ADs could provide after a bit. Yaridovich and Valentina are straight out slugfests.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

ZZT the Fifth posted:

True, but Johnny and the cake have tricks to their fights that the ADs could provide after a bit. Yaridovich and Valentina are straight out slugfests.

Yaridovich will be easy if he learns the secret trick that your cursor will always initially target the real Yaridovich after his split.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

I'm still stuck on Yaridovich. It's been decades.

Vermain posted:

Yaridovich will be easy if he learns the secret trick that your cursor will always initially target the real Yaridovich after his split.

...getting my snes, bbl.