Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
American TV wrestling production has been stale for so long that any minor change will look like a revelation. Like that one time Smackdown starting doing wide panning shots during the matches and blew everybody's mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

MassRafTer posted:

I really want it to be shot like sports but not try so hard to make it look like a sport.

I also want the show to be like Nitro, but the good Nitro not the bad Nitro.

Like everyone else I have no idea what I want.

I loved how WCW would have cameras on the ring apron and that the wrestlers would talk trash directly into the camera. I hate the WWE thing of ignoring cameras (until they decide they want the wrestlers to acknowledge them for a couple weeks before changing their minds again).

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I want AEW to be something I can watch without too much effort or cost that has enough motivation and drive to try and be different and good unlike SOMEONE. Beyond that, I'm open.

I do like that they are at least paying lip service to the idea Brandi is taking the women's division seriously and the Bucks are saying the tag division will be equal to the main. Its at least presenting the image of 3 separate but equal divisions. Who knows if that's how it plays out?

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Benne posted:

American TV wrestling production has been stale for so long that any minor change will look like a revelation. Like that one time Smackdown starting doing wide panning shots during the matches and blew everybody's mind.

Just go back to the traditional 3 cam set up. 1 hard cam and two handhelds for detail shots. I hate all this constant jumping between 9+ cameras because it fucks up the flow of action.

The constant camera cuts killed any interest I had in Lucha Underground by episode 2 because that poo poo gave me a headache.

And quit cutting to the crowd. Jesus wept I do not care about the silly dances in the live audience. Stay on the goddamn action.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Byolante posted:

If they can get on a Turner channel and have the NBA people help with production it would be incredible. What the NBA production people did to make esports watchable was amazing.
This would be amazing. I'd love this. But failing that, I'd settle for it just looking different than WWE. Fewer cuts, no zooming in an out, and more time spent in the hard cam would go a long way.

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

That's just New Japan's style and it's very good.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

From what I've seen of New Japan, absolutely. I'd take that in a North American promotion in a New York minute.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Draxion posted:

That's just New Japan's style and it's very good.

It won't be good until they use the rainmaker shot for Taichi whirling off his trousers

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

HidaO-Win posted:

If AEW had a WWE shopping list for main roster guys I'd be happy with

Dean
Gable
Rusev
The Usos
The Revival

All of those would add something to the brand, without hopefully being seen as WWE castoffs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpHnxh3mfTs

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"

He'd be marvellous but would he leave? I think he'd end up in the Ishii slot.

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon

LividLiquid posted:

From what I've seen of New Japan, absolutely. I'd take that in a North American promotion in a New York minute.

i'm from New York, please don't use that expression

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

HidaO-Win posted:

Being the best wrestler in the world sounds pretty good to me!

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED

Aksana and Cesaro would be perfect for AEW.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

correct me if I'm wrong but didn't they stagger the New Day's contracts just to keep them from getting out while they were hot?

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

If AWE is serious about focusing on tag team wrestling then they know who to call

https://youtu.be/A5aVOoLWF_Q

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

HidaO-Win posted:

I think he's having fun bulk and skulling around with sheamus after being underused for loving forever, but I doubt WWE will ever place him in a spot higher than that for the rest of his career in the company

what's better, getting sweaty pancakes shoved in your face vs fighting omega or PAC again for an actual major title?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I'm glad that Fenix injury only looked bad. Thank God for strong neck muscles.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Is there ANY information about ticket prices? Going into this presale blind in two days has me antsy.

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS

Sanguinia posted:

Is there ANY information about ticket prices? Going into this presale blind in two days has me antsy.

$1000-$10000

AEW is the premiere wrestling promotion for whales

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

The secondary market is going to be horrible

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

"The unknown superstar" Kenny Omega!

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Drew McIntyre posted:

i'm from New York, please don't use that expression
Is it offensive, or just annoying?

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

LividLiquid posted:

Is it offensive, or just annoying?

Chiming in from New York, yeah it's generally not cool to say that. Especially not since the Ligma incident early last year.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

oh my goodness. better close the thread!

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

flatluigi posted:

what's better, getting sweaty pancakes shoved in your face vs fighting omega or PAC again for an actual major title?
Working your employer into giving you WCW money for a mid card push

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

NienNunb posted:

Chiming in from New York, yeah it's generally not cool to say that. Especially not since the Ligma incident early last year.

what month was that?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Phenix Rising posted:

I loved how WCW would have cameras on the ring apron and that the wrestlers would talk trash directly into the camera. I hate the WWE thing of ignoring cameras (until they decide they want the wrestlers to acknowledge them for a couple weeks before changing their minds again).

I hated that, not because of the camera set-up/talk to the camera bit itself, but because WCW had terrible (slightly better than AAA) sound mixing and usually all you could hear was the wrestler going,"Hffnn hffnnn rhhggg hffnn!" before peaking the mic with their rival's name, while in the background Gary Michael Capetta(?) was bellowing,"HUUU! HUUUU! HUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!" into the ring mic.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Jerusalem posted:

I hated that, not because of the camera set-up/talk to the camera bit itself, but because WCW had terrible (slightly better than AAA) sound mixing and usually all you could hear was the wrestler going,"Hffnn hffnnn rhhggg hffnn!" before peaking the mic with their rival's name, while in the background Gary Michael Capetta(?) was bellowing,"HUUU! HUUUU! HUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!" into the ring mic.

I really love that stuff. The little moments should be a little rough because they are spontaneous. They shouldn't sound as bad as a 2002 ROH or CZW show, but some audio only the camera mic pics up is just cool to me. Feels very raw. I get people wanting to see, hear and understand everything but my hearing sucks so I'm used to not being able to.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

My hearing also sucks which is why I want it to be clearer :smith:

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Huh?

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I think there's also a fine line where you want the mics to pick up the wrestlers' struggles and trash talk, but don't want to hear their spot-calling. Which honestly is not as big a problem as it was in the past (a lot of today's wrestlers have gotten really good at calling a match in the ring without resorting to shouting out cues), but it's still there in some cases.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

The coolest thing about WCW that I hope AEW brings back is how big main events had the atmosphere of a major prize fight. Current day New Japan does a great job with this too but peak good WCW was the apex of this for me.

Also someone needs to have Voodoo Child as a theme.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

NienNunb posted:

Also someone needs to have Voodoo Child as a theme.

I can't remember who said it years ago re: Hogan and Voodo Child, but I absolutely agree with them that NOBODY is cool enough to have Voodoo Child as theme music. :colbert:

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

That said it worked for Hollywood Hogan as he thought he was cool enough for it.

Hogan sucks, Hollywood sucks in the ring, because he still ate people up, but man, in the too cool for school nWo, Hogan came across as someones Dad hanging around with the cool kids on an ego trip driven by midlife crisis. It probably wasn't intentional on his part, but it was what came across, and it was a fascinating character.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

As if we needed any more reason to love AEW

https://twitter.com/paulscheer/status/1094437910789509121

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/luchablog/status/1094135145068748800

Hijo del Vikingo pls

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Jerusalem posted:

Oh yeah, a lot of times it was just incomprehensible but when they had the audio mixed properly I think it made it feel more spontaneous and "real", if that makes sense.

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!

Paul Sheer could easily EASILY do a douchebag manager role.

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED

June: So what IS wrestling?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Midnightghoul posted:

June: So what IS wrestling?

At least we know all the women in AEW will be wearing bras