Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Homo Simpson posted:

playing anything after vegas is a sin

Eh, Fallout 4 isn't bad it just also really isn't good either. It's just, like, there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

BigglesSWE posted:

Metro Exodus is out and portrays a post-nuclear war world much better hth

Oh rad, guessing it's good then?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

KakerMix posted:

Oh rad, guessing it's good then?

It's very good

Like Metro and STALKER had a baby

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

BigglesSWE posted:

Metro Exodus is out and portrays a post-nuclear war world much better hth

Fallout4 setting is realistically only 4-5 years after the bomb. It’s not even attempting to be realistic and I’m fine with that.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Fallom posted:

It's very good

I'm glad fallout is dead

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

KakerMix posted:

I'm glad fallout is dead

I've been watching Cohh enthusiastically play through new Metro game these past couple of days, and yesterday after a long rant about how Bethesda gave the fans a hard, openhanded slap across the face with Fallout 76 and that he's stopped wearing his Fallout gear out of embarrassment he then ran into a showstopping bug that prevents you from being able to attack or interact in anyway. The solution to which is to restart whatever chapter you're on. He effectively lost 8 hours of progress and now manually backs up his own saves hourly but drat if he doesn't look like he's having a good time and jumped right back in once he had a chance to cool off.

Game does look good, I have to admit. Will probably grab it when it's on sale.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Psychotic Weasel posted:

I've been watching Cohh enthusiastically play through new Metro game these past couple of days, and yesterday after a long rant about how Bethesda gave the fans a hard, openhanded slap across the face with Fallout 76 and that he's stopped wearing his Fallout gear out of embarrassment he then ran into a showstopping bug that prevents you from being able to attack or interact in anyway. The solution to which is to restart whatever chapter you're on. He effectively lost 8 hours of progress and now manually backs up his own saves hourly but drat if he doesn't look like he's having a good time and jumped right back in once he had a chance to cool off.

Game does look good, I have to admit. Will probably grab it when it's on sale.

lol I just realized why I hadn't seen it on Steam, because they suddenly flipped to exclusivity on another store.

Goddamn you idiots, if you micro-slice up everything into different accounts you're just going to push piracy back into the mainstream!

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

KakerMix posted:

lol I just realized why I hadn't seen it on Steam, because they suddenly flipped to exclusivity on another store.

Goddamn you idiots, if you micro-slice up everything into different accounts you're just going to push piracy back into the mainstream!

dont support steams monopoly, thanks

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

Don't make the mistake of thinking Epic has your interest at heart, they want more money and will exploit the poo poo out of everyone to get it like everyone else already does.
The big draw circa 2000~ with piracy on PC was you could play the game without the CD being in the drive. Then digital distribution came along and all was well. Now it's all fracturing again and instead of a CD I need in my drive it's 3-4 accounts and software packages I have to have running just to consume some content.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
It's not like you have to manually open and log into the store to play the game, I play steam games by clicking the game's icon on my desktop

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Fallom posted:

It's very good

hmmm

I need to try this

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

KakerMix posted:

Don't make the mistake of thinking Epic has your interest at heart, they want more money and will exploit the poo poo out of everyone to get it like everyone else already does.
The big draw circa 2000~ with piracy on PC was you could play the game without the CD being in the drive. Then digital distribution came along and all was well. Now it's all fracturing again and instead of a CD I need in my drive it's 3-4 accounts and software packages I have to have running just to consume some content.

i use gog, thanks for looking out for me though

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat

oh come on, steam hasn't had a monopoly in years now.

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

2house2fly posted:

It's not like you have to manually open and log into the store to play the game, I play steam games by clicking the game's icon on my desktop

Yeah but not all games will let you play them without steam being on and the "game's icon" is actually a steam link which turns steam on and then boots the game. (unless you made the shortcut directly from the game directory and even then most of the time it needs steam to boot up first in order to play it)

KakerMix posted:

It's already happening with streaming services, piracy dropped with the advent of Netflix and Hulu but its back on the rise because no one wanted to play nice with each other and everyone just had to have their own streaming platform with ~*exclusive content*~

Turns out people don't want to sign up and pay for 8 different services to watch the things they want to and will just turn around and say "gently caress it then" and go back to pirating it.

Same goes for games, I just want all my poo poo in one place and not spread across 5 different resource hogging clients.

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

Storefront exclusivity is the enemy of all consumers my poor unfortunate friend, choices and competition is much better for us all.

The problem with Epic's store isn't that it exists, that is a good thing all the time, even Origin's existence is a good thing for competition.

Exclusivity is the problem, even if Metro Exodus' is apparently a timed one, as it limits YOUR choices as a consumer, never mind Steams dominance, if Epic wants to compete, they should do it properly:

Make a better service than Steam.

That's it, everything else is anti-consumer bullshit.

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

I remember one of the best things GoG did was say "hey link your steam account and you'll unlock all the games* you already own there on GoG as well"

*from decent companies who didn't turn around and say "NUH UH WE WANT THEM TO BUY IT TWICE" anyway

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Dragonstoned posted:

Yeah but not all games will let you play them without steam being on and the "game's icon" is actually a steam link which turns steam on and then boots the game. (unless you made the shortcut directly from the game directory and even then most of the time it needs steam to boot up first in order to play it)

It's already happening with streaming services, piracy dropped with the advent of Netflix and Hulu but its back on the rise because no one wanted to play nice with each other and everyone just had to have their own streaming platform with ~*exclusive content*~

Turns out people don't want to sign up and pay for 8 different services to watch the things they want to and will just turn around and say "gently caress it then" and go back to pirating it.

Same goes for games, I just want all my poo poo in one place and not spread across 5 different resource hogging clients.

Exactly. Zennimax with their store (and Fallout 76 lol) is like CBS and them trying to make a storefront with Star Trek. Or Disney with whatever the hell they are trying to do. Executives point at innovators like Valve and Netflix and go "Hey they make a bunch of money do what they do" but instead consumers just shrug and either don't consume or turn to piracy.
Innovation is dead, long live copy cats that fail.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

simple solution

make all your games an always-online battle royale hero loot shooter.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Powershift posted:

simple solution

make all your games an always-online battle royale hero loot shooter.

I'm retro so only MMORPGs for me

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

KakerMix posted:

The big draw circa 2000~ with piracy on PC was you could play the game without the CD being in the drive.

I think the big draw was that you didn't have to pay for the game.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Chomp8645 posted:

Not for me it wasn't, that's why when Steam came out I stopped.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

Chomp8645 posted:

Free stuff and all was a driver for sure, but let's not forget just how obnoxious dealing with CDs and copy protection was at the time. I owned Morrowind, but pirated it anyway because the copy protection was so screwy I couldn't even get it to run on release (a common enough issue Bethesda patched it out with the very first patch). There was definitely an era where the pirated/cracked versions of games often ran better.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
If you guys say so.

I think in ye olde days the only thing I pirated despite legally owning anyway was Baldur's Gate 1 and 2. Mainly because yeah the CDs were ridiculous, it was like five discs for each game and I may have eventually lost some.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
There were/are DRM schemes pretty famous for loving your poo poo right up. Denovo being one.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

KakerMix posted:

Exactly. Zennimax with their store (and Fallout 76 lol) is like CBS and them trying to make a storefront with Star Trek. Or Disney with whatever the hell they are trying to do. Executives point at innovators like Valve and Netflix and go "Hey they make a bunch of money do what they do" but instead consumers just shrug and either don't consume or turn to piracy.
Innovation is dead, long live copy cats that fail.

I mean..ok, but, at the same time, good video games are fun and such

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

eviltastic posted:

Free stuff and all was a driver for sure, but let's not forget just how obnoxious dealing with CDs and copy protection was at the time. I owned Morrowind, but pirated it anyway because the copy protection was so screwy I couldn't even get it to run on release (a common enough issue Bethesda patched it out with the very first patch). There was definitely an era where the pirated/cracked versions of games often ran better.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Donovan Trip posted:

Ya they are and there are countless numbers of them, I can miss out on one.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Donovan Trip posted:

You're in the wrong place to bring those up.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
:(

yegods
Apr 6, 2007

Cerebus can destroy ANYTHING. Cerebus is the POPE.
Wow, it's not that hard. I can't remember the last time I bought a game from the Steam Store. I use it as my front end gaming system, and buy exclusively game that are for Steam, because that's convenient for me. EVERY TIME I have bought a game for one of the other services (Uplay, Gog, whatever), I've ended up never playing beyond the first few hours. It's just too inconvenient for me to have more than one front end. I don't consider Steam a monopoly, because Valve is not usually get my money. Steam is the best front end with the most features, and I will continue using it until a better one comes up -- which probably won't happen.

It makes me sad that I won't get to play games such as Metro Exodus (until they are on Steam), but not that sad since I never loved the Metro series anyways. Fallout is a great series, and I loved Fallout 4. Fallout 76 is a misstep, and I assume Bethesda will course correct in time.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

For all the ragging on 76 i haven't seen a lot of complaints about the bethesda launcher in this thread. Gonna assume it's actually hella good.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Keeshhound posted:

For as much bad press as 76 has received, 53 seems really high, actually.

Most review sites, which exist to give even bad AAA games a 7, went pretty soft on it.

BillyC
Feb 19, 2013

everythin' under heaven is in utter chaos, cloud

Bread Liar

heard u like girls posted:

For all the ragging on 76 i haven't seen a lot of complaints about the bethesda launcher in this thread. Gonna assume it's actually hella good.

It deleted peoples 50 gb BETA install and made them have to redownload it lmao

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

Nobody is playing the game, thus nobody is bothered about the launcher.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

BillyC posted:

It deleted peoples 50 gb BETA install and made them have to redownload it lmao

Lol imagine re-downloading it

Hauki
May 11, 2010

it’s awful and annoying so I uninstalled it (and luckily the game too, before they made it so you had to buy the game in order to uninstall the beta client)

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

On the topic of digital store fronts: it's annoying to have a different digital store/platform for every brand of game I own. It's also bad to support a monopoly because you'll lose any semblance of competitive pricing. Solution: there should be a third party application that collects your login/library data for each of the store fronts an allows you to manage all your games in one place. Why hasn't this been thought of already? It seems like a really simple solution.

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

That’s because it would be like having the Black Plague and complaining about your nuts being itchy. Sure, it’s annoying, but there’s bigger concerns to deal with.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Lol imagine re-downloading it

if someone refunded their preorder then the launcher wouldn't let them uninstall the game, because they didn't own it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

chaosapiant posted:

On the topic of digital store fronts: it's annoying to have a different digital store/platform for every brand of game I own. It's also bad to support a monopoly because you'll lose any semblance of competitive pricing. Solution: there should be a third party application that collects your login/library data for each of the store fronts an allows you to manage all your games in one place. Why hasn't this been thought of already? It seems like a really simple solution.
discord, sorta

like it wont ever reach full feature parity mostly because the actual store owners would fight that tooth and nail but thats kinda what their launcher thing is going for