Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

Tahirovic posted:

I've tried to had my Kindle read to me but that sound/voice is just not good, wonder if it could actually play proper audio books, that would make for nice package deals in the Kindle store.

Can't your phone play audiobooks if your Kindle can't? I feel like even my non-smart phone a few years back could still play audiobooks if they were the right formats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

socialsecurity posted:

What annoys me is they pronounce some words differently even with the same character. They are married and record in their house they could coordinate that. Otherwise though they are pretty good I found the versions with music and sound effects distracting.

I tend to breeze over these cases because people don't pronounce my own name the same every time.

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan

OneTwentySix posted:

Can't your phone play audiobooks if your Kindle can't? I feel like even my non-smart phone a few years back could still play audiobooks if they were the right formats.

Google play has a free, built in robot voice reader, but afaik it must be on DRM free ebooks from authors like Sanderson.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Sab669 posted:

I know they've changed some pronunciations from book to book, but I can't think of any instances within the same book where they pronounce things differently. Maybe they do and I'm just not listening that closely, though.

There was one prominent instance in the finale of book 1 of Stormlight. Reading pronounced Sadeas completely differently from how it had been pronounced the entire book and it confused me enough that I thought I had missed a chapter introducing a character or something. There are probably other instances, but that's the only one that stands out to me.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Taffer posted:

There was one prominent instance in the finale of book 1 of Stormlight. Reading pronounced Sadeas completely differently from how it had been pronounced the entire book and it confused me enough that I thought I had missed a chapter introducing a character or something. There are probably other instances, but that's the only one that stands out to me.

I noticed that Michael Kramer mispronounces or just misreads names a bunch of times, but he's a pro so even the mistakes are read with the same confidence as everything else, and it ends up fine.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
Was it Sadeus? Do you split between the a & d or the d & e? SAD e us or sa DE us?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Holy poo poo an exciting Perrin chapter (KoD 28)

Finally fighting the Shaido. Also Tam is alive? Did I know this already? I thought he died in Book 1. Maybe I knew and just forgot.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Nah, he was just gravely wounded from a Morghul-blade thakandar-forged sword. Moraine healed him but it was a near thing so he was forcibly sidelined for a while.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Sab669 posted:

Finally fighting the Shaido. Also Tam is alive? Did I know this already? I thought he died in Book 1. Maybe I knew and just forgot.

He's been here and there in earlier books.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Oh, yea that does ring a bell :downs:

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Sab669 posted:

He was a major character during the entire Perrin defends Two Rivers subplot in the 4th or 5th book.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Ha, I was listening to CoT on the way to work. During an Elayne chapter, there was a character pronounced beer-ged-duh. Never heard of her before so I assumed it was a new character. 5 minutes later I realized it was really Birgitte. They've been pronouncing it bur-geet-tuh from books 2-9 and now randomly changed pronunciations. I was so confused.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

To be fair, assuming it's a new character seldom steers you wrong

pikachode
Jan 21, 2019

by R. Guyovich
sanderson's only function is as protein-rich biomass for the starving poor

pikachode
Jan 21, 2019

by R. Guyovich
i myself will consume his flesh and gain his fame

pikachode
Jan 21, 2019

by R. Guyovich
though i'm not starving and am in fact monstrously, gloriously obese, just a perfect rosy sphere of folds and ripples, endlessly hungering. i am poor though, having invested my fortune unwisely, and so i deserve to partake of the man, this man, who has made me so unhappy

pikachode
Jan 21, 2019

by R. Guyovich
the trouble is that it's difficult for me to reach him, as a person of my stature can move only by rolling horizontally across the landscape

pikachode
Jan 21, 2019

by R. Guyovich
but i'll get him eventually. i'll eat him. i ate robert jordan and i'll eat sanderson too. i'll eat every single last one of your heroes you simple idiots, you fools, you charlatans of the human species

pikachode
Jan 21, 2019

by R. Guyovich
trash! trash! trash! trash!! TRASH! TRAHSJG

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Raposa
Aug 4, 2007

That post went quite well, I think.
Sir this is an Arby's drive through window.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I just realized something. When we first meet Dalinar, he's the reasonable person, the only Alethi not obsessed with fighting, the only reasonable authority figure. But this personality is relatively new, even in Way of Kings. Peak flashback Dalinar was only like 5-8 years before Way of Kings. No wonder nobody trusts him when he tries to sway the other nations to his budding coalition. He was the Blackthorn at most 10 years ago, if I get my timeline right.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yea, it's a pretty recent change.

I haven't read Oathbringer since it came out, but I remember being surprised at how late in his life a lot the flashback events were. If he's, what, in his 40's? I assumed most of the "The Blackthorn" was like in his younger 20's but...

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Torrannor posted:

I just realized something. When we first meet Dalinar, he's the reasonable person, the only Alethi not obsessed with fighting, the only reasonable authority figure. But this personality is relatively new, even in Way of Kings. Peak flashback Dalinar was only like 5-8 years before Way of Kings. No wonder nobody trusts him when he tries to sway the other nations to his budding coalition. He was the Blackthorn at most 10 years ago, if I get my timeline right.

If the series were structured differently his characterization and depiction would make him suspect #1 for secret villain, and not like, Taravangian. It'd probably have made Odium's play in book 3 seem like it could have worked.

And in general WoK could've been way better with a lot more ambiguity between Sadeas and Dalinar until the betrayal.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

Sab669 posted:

Yea, it's a pretty recent change.

I haven't read Oathbringer since it came out, but I remember being surprised at how late in his life a lot the flashback events were. If he's, what, in his 40's? I assumed most of the "The Blackthorn" was like in his younger 20's but...

The thing is both Kaladin and Shallan are like not even 20. Dalinar's flashbacks start in his early adulthood and move forward to I think just after Gavilar's death (I need a reread, too!).

That's like a 20 year span.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

If the series were structured differently his characterization and depiction would make him suspect #1 for secret villain, and not like, Taravangian. It'd probably have made Odium's play in book 3 seem like it could have worked.

And in general WoK could've been way better with a lot more ambiguity between Sadeas and Dalinar until the betrayal.

i do kind of like how everyone that thought he was loving nuts in book 1 was.. pretty much correct. he's like someone that had a traumatic brain injury and comes out of recovery with a totally different personality, but he's keeping said injury and amnesia completely secret

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I've got like 10 minutes left on Knife of Dreams, pulled up the wiki article to review everything and... Honesty I don't recall like anything about Semirhage with the Rand summary 🤔

Overall definitely a better book than the last 3-4, but I'm not sure I'll enjoy the remaining books much more than any other in the series. Like I can't imagine it getting so much better for me by this point.

enigma105
Mar 16, 2004

His record...it's over 9-7!!!

Sab669 posted:

I've got like 10 minutes left on Knife of Dreams, pulled up the wiki article to review everything and... Honesty I don't recall like anything about Semirhage with the Rand summary 🤔

Overall definitely a better book than the last 3-4, but I'm not sure I'll enjoy the remaining books much more than any other in the series. Like I can't imagine it getting so much better for me by this point.

Semirhage was High Lady Suroth, Tuon's Truthspeaker. Not sure if that's explicitly spelled out, but I believe it is. A lot is happening in that chapter, so I can understand missing it.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

enigma105 posted:

Semirhage was High Lady Suroth, Tuon's Truthspeaker. Not sure if that's explicitly spelled out, but I believe it is. A lot is happening in that chapter, so I can understand missing it.

She was Tuon's Truthspeaker, but Suroth is the darkfriend Seanchan who worked with Liandrin to kidnap Nynaeve and Egwene and take them off the continent in book 2. Semirhage's Seanchan cover name was Anath.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Ah, got'chya. My auditory listening skills are not top notch, and listening while driving does not help.

e; Red Sisters being all, "Sup dudes- wanna get bonded?" had me like :monocle: though

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Feb 20, 2019

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Sab669 posted:

Ah, got'chya. My auditory listening skills are not top notch, and listening while driving does not help.

e; Red Sisters being all, "Sup dudes- wanna get bonded?" had me like :monocle: though

The real wham moment is Mazrim Taim saying "Let the Lord of Chaos rule.", confirming that he really is a darkfriend. Remember, that was the Dark One's command to the Forsaken in book 6 (Lord of Chaos).

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Did I seriously just listen to like 3 hours worth of a loving bath?

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Did I seriously just listen to like 3 hours worth of a loving bath?

Book 10 eh?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

RC Cola posted:

Book 10 eh?

Yyyyup

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Does is really matter? She takes a bath, but she also makes a pretty important bargain with the Wavemistress while she's bathing.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

It lasted 3 loving hours in the audiobook. That’s absurd.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Oh. Yeah, that's a problem. I think it's better to read WoT, since you can read faster than somebody can read those words to you. But if you're listening to the books while driving to work or something like that, then you're stuck with the books originating in a time where audiobooks weren't the big thing they are today.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Torrannor posted:

confirming that he really is a darkfriend. Remember

I did not make that connection at all :) although I did recall that was a previous book title

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Someone on another forum was riffing on the term “darkfriend” during my readthrough

*masked figure steps from an alley holding a knife* Hey want to catch a movie later

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

It's a little cheesy, but I don't think it's any worse than any other "fantasy terminology". I've seen people complain about "Allomancy" when reading Mistborn and I was just like, is that any worse than Pyromancy or Cryomancy?

Started The Gathering Storm prologue this morning on my way into the office. I like that it's just a couple of farmhands* being like, "Oh gently caress - the Everstorm!"

Also just started Part 4 of Steelheart. RIP Megan. The book is fun but I'm not big on the characters. I think Skyward was slightly better in that regard, but not by much. Still got 70 pages.

* Is "Thulin" a character I've seen before? The name rings a bell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Book 12 spoilers but loving Egwene. "Oh I am so upset and angry about these sitters forcing a fourth oath on other sisters. This is so bad and evil. Definitely not something that I have personally done." Magical princess. And always complaining about Rand. Oh no. We have to stop the dragon from going around because it's *our* job to rule the world.
Get hosed.

Edit Egwene: 'its one step short of compulsion. ' Look I'm Egwene. Rules apply to everyone but me. Also I love the tower so much. It's so important to me even though I spent a total of 8 months there ever.

RC Cola fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Feb 20, 2019