Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
The paramedic in the same episode was a Tory as was another questioner, the whole thing is loving ridiculous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
I like it when they hire second rate extras to act the part of experts and then get caught on it and nothing happens

Hobo
Dec 12, 2007

Forum bum
I’m happy to be corrected on this, but I think the problem with Jess Philips is that her constant positioning of her being working class is based on the British cultural definition of class - what food you eat, what TV shows you watch, how you cut your toast - rather than an economic one. That’s not unusual, but this is combined with constant self promotion, and it ends being looking like promoting a future leadership that’s based on whatever the “working class” equivalent of HIRE MORE WOMEN GUARDS is.

I say this because she seems to constantly talk about how she’s Labour to the bone because she’s from Birmingham and thinks olives are posh.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Hobo posted:

I’m happy to be corrected on this, but I think the problem with Jess Philips is that her constant positioning of her being working class is based on the British cultural definition of class - what food you eat, what TV shows you watch, how you cut your toast - rather than an economic one. That’s not unusual, but this is combined with constant self promotion, and it ends being looking like promoting a future leadership that’s based on whatever the “working class” equivalent of HIRE MORE WOMEN GUARDS is.

I say this because she seems to constantly talk about how she’s Labour to the bone because she’s from Birmingham and thinks olives are posh.

You just reminded me that Owen Smith pretended to not know what a frothy coffee is so thanks for that.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Miftan posted:

You just reminded me that Owen Smith pretended to not know what a frothy coffee is so thanks for that.

is this a cum thing like beating off other men over his wife?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Ug working class. Ug not use 'writing'. Ug not know what hot flower that come from stick is. Ug only know that Sumer are pedo and 'beer' cosmopolitan elitism. Ug drink fruit piss.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Jose posted:

is this a cum thing like beating off other men over his wife?

Possibly? But also the literal thing I said.

Hobo
Dec 12, 2007

Forum bum

Guavanaut posted:

cosmopolitan elitism

Five syllable words? Very posh to me!

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Class is really just a lifestyle choice

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
"Poverty is just a fad and everyone grows out of it eventually"

- tories, probably

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Class is permanent, form is temporary.

Wait, which forum is this?

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Sinn Fein President Mary Lou McDonald has said that the UK Government are welcome to have their Brexit, but "they won’t take the North with them".

Mrs McDonald was speaking in Dublin on Saturday after the EU's Chief Negotiator Michel Barnier made a final offer to Prime Minister Theresa May on her Brexit deal.

Taking to Twitter on Thursday, Mr Barnier proposed that Britain could unilaterally leave the EU customs union, but said that Northern Ireland must remain as part of the backstop to prevent a hard border in Ireland.

The offer was quickly rejected by the DUP who said it was neither "realistic or sensible", while former Foreign Secretary Boris Johnston accused the EU of trying to "annex" Northern Ireland.

Mrs McDonald said that Sinn Fein's position was "consistent" with Mr Barnier's.

She accused the government of "playing down the clock, playing for time" and said that they had "absolute indifference to Ireland or Irish interests".

"If Britain wishes to Brexit who are we to stop them? But they won’t take the North with them and they’re not going to wreck the Irish economy and upend our peace process," the Sinn Fein leader said.

“That’s the bottom line. That’s a position that has been articulated at Irish Government level and by the European Parliament."

'Britain can have their Brexit, but they aren't taking North with them' says McDonald

http://flip.it/SMWsGQ

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

https://twitter.com/rosagilbert/status/1104373084109369344?s=20

I love Chuka so much.

Hobo
Dec 12, 2007

Forum bum

sebzilla posted:

Class is permanent, form is temporary.

Wait, which forum is this?

That’s why when you get to university you need to dual class to Posh, which gets you a refrigerator.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Gang of six men make monkey noises at black commuter on London Underground train as one pretends to be an APE and swings from seat to seat

This is the shocking moment a passenger was racially abused on the London Underground by six white commuters, with one pretending to be a monkey and jumping at him as he filmed them. 

The horrific incident took place on the Northern Line, just before Kennington station, while stunned members of the public looked on

http://flip.it/.4XFAt

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

lmao "the English Obama" right there, wonder how much you have to pay to get a brown-nosing article in a magazine like that

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

JFairfax posted:

Gang of six men make monkey noises at black commuter on London Underground train as one pretends to be an APE and swings from seat to seat

This is the shocking moment a passenger was racially abused on the London Underground by six white commuters, with one pretending to be a monkey and jumping at him as he filmed them. 

The horrific incident took place on the Northern Line, just before Kennington station, while stunned members of the public looked on

http://flip.it/.4XFAt

Is the Daily Mail feeling okay?

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

mehall posted:

The amount of money I've seen some people spend on a spa weekend is crazy, yet Lenin insisted on the workers getting all of these health treatments, "so that they could return to their jobs more productive than ever" as the article puts it.
My parents live in France, and I don't know if it's France wide, or just in their department, but all retirees get sent for a week of spa treatments and general health checks once a year. Our thinking is that someone did the maths and worked out it was cheaper to send the oldies off on a little health jolly rather than wait for them to get sick.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
I only just saw that Nick Boles tweet and im lolling at it

what the gently caress is wrong with Tories man

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

JFairfax posted:

Sinn Fein President Mary Lou McDonald has said that the UK Government are welcome to have their Brexit, but "they won’t take the North with them".

Mrs McDonald was speaking in Dublin on Saturday after the EU's Chief Negotiator Michel Barnier made a final offer to Prime Minister Theresa May on her Brexit deal.

Taking to Twitter on Thursday, Mr Barnier proposed that Britain could unilaterally leave the EU customs union, but said that Northern Ireland must remain as part of the backstop to prevent a hard border in Ireland.

The offer was quickly rejected by the DUP who said it was neither "realistic or sensible", while former Foreign Secretary Boris Johnston accused the EU of trying to "annex" Northern Ireland.

Mrs McDonald said that Sinn Fein's position was "consistent" with Mr Barnier's.

She accused the government of "playing down the clock, playing for time" and said that they had "absolute indifference to Ireland or Irish interests".

"If Britain wishes to Brexit who are we to stop them? But they won’t take the North with them and they’re not going to wreck the Irish economy and upend our peace process," the Sinn Fein leader said.

“That’s the bottom line. That’s a position that has been articulated at Irish Government level and by the European Parliament."

'Britain can have their Brexit, but they aren't taking North with them' says McDonald

http://flip.it/SMWsGQ

:owned:

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Pochoclo posted:

lmao "the English Obama" right there, wonder how much you have to pay to get a brown-nosing article in a magazine like that

It's Italian, so I presume a couple of sex workers

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jess Phillips posted:

Prostitutes

The DPRK
Nov 18, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

The Graun is bad posted:

German academics and authors call for end to 'gender nonsense'

A group of German authors, comedians and academics have added fuel to the flames of an increasingly bad-tempered culture war over language bias by calling for a fightback against “ridiculous linguistic constructions” designed to make German more gender-neutral.

In an open letter published by the Dortmund-based German Language Association, signatories including the philosopher Rüdiger Safranski, novelist Peter Schneider, comedian Dieter Hallervorden and the former head of the country’s domestic intelligence Hans-Georg Maassen, hit back against calls for more gender-neutral generic nouns.

In German, where nouns have either a male, female or neuter gender, words for mixed groups of people are traditionally based on the masculine form. If you are talking about a group of teachers, for example, you would say die Lehrer, not die Lehrerinnen.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/mar/08/german-academics-and-authors-call-for-end-to-gender-nonsense

The Graun again showing it's true colours. I asked a German friend of mine who these people were and they're basically German glinners, always in the news upsetting people about poo poo like this.

Although it does raise an interesting question about linguistics in languages which make more use of gendered words than English, we're blockaded from ever getting to the meat of the problem because of arseaches like Safranski.

Further, I too would like to call an end to 'gender nonsense', unironically, but from the other direction.

The DPRK fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Mar 9, 2019

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

does feel very much like corbynism is in retreat at the moment. journalists and the right of the labour party decided the project was finished a week after he won the first leadership election and have been looking for evidence of that ever since. when they haven't found any they've manufactured it. there was that terrifying moment in 2017 when the tories lost their majority, and denying the popularity of corbynist policies would have been like denying the shape of the earth, but they've returned to telling us the world is flat with increasing aggression ever since. the TIG is probably the most grotesque example of the kind of mediated, hypernormalised environment we're. a group that nobody outside of zone 2 was particularly asking for, shat into existence by the combined will of guardian op-eds and new statesman profiles. touting cameron's reform toryism as the balm a hurting nation desperately needs. and the broadsheet hogs are sucking it up. meanwhile watson is outright threatening to destroy the party if corbyn doesn't all but abdicate, demanding he gut the shadow cabinet and fill it with blairites while completely overhauling the manifesto to appeal to 70 or so reactionaries whose happiest moments from modern history are NATO planes dropping depleted uranium on yugoslavia and US planes dropping white phospherous on iraq. the ghouls are lurching up and down the hallways, i feel like we're really close to seeing our movement collapsing now.

there's a whole other effort post to be written about how the most crank elements of the corbyn project are really loving us over - i'm thinking rachael swindon types - and the antisemitism stuff might be overblown in the press and is obviously being weaponised but it doesn't change the fact that we've been really poor in responding to legit cases. i'm too drunk to get too deep into it all tho, i'm depressed enough about the situation.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

gh0stpinballa posted:

does feel very much like corbynism is in retreat at the moment. journalists and the right of the labour party decided the project was finished a week after he won the first leadership election and have been looking for evidence of that ever since. when they haven't found any they've manufactured it. there was that terrifying moment in 2017 when the tories lost their majority, and denying the popularity of corbynist policies would have been like denying the shape of the earth, but they've returned to telling us the world is flat with increasing aggression ever since. the TIG is probably the most grotesque example of the kind of mediated, hypernormalised environment we're. a group that nobody outside of zone 2 was particularly asking for, shat into existence by the combined will of guardian op-eds and new statesman profiles. touting cameron's reform toryism as the balm a hurting nation desperately needs. and the broadsheet hogs are sucking it up. meanwhile watson is outright threatening to destroy the party if corbyn doesn't all but abdicate, demanding he gut the shadow cabinet and fill it with blairites while completely overhauling the manifesto to appeal to 70 or so reactionaries whose happiest moments from modern history are NATO planes dropping depleted uranium on yugoslavia and US planes dropping white phospherous on iraq. the ghouls are lurching up and down the hallways, i feel like we're really close to seeing our movement collapsing now.

there's a whole other effort post to be written about how the most crank elements of the corbyn project are really loving us over - i'm thinking rachael swindon types - and the antisemitism stuff might be overblown in the press and is obviously being weaponised but it doesn't change the fact that we've been really poor in responding to legit cases. i'm too drunk to get too deep into it all tho, i'm depressed enough about the situation.

There's no election going on right now, and brexit will poo poo on the Tories once something actually has to happen with it.

brian
Sep 11, 2001
I obtained this title through beard tax.

also i despise anyone who uses the term crank and alludes to reasons why you should hate people without providing any evidence or even any reason why so uh not sure you're right on a lot of things weird depressed guy

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

corbyn has been in permanent retreat except during the election

the right-wing elements of the party getting restless and doing spectacularly stupid poo poo like teaming up with tories is probably a symptom of the corbynite faction pretty much having captured most of the party apparatus

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Pochoclo posted:

absolute :laffo: that people are still using that given that (IIRC) it was initially an edit to his Wikipedia article done from a computer somewhere inside the Palace of Westminster

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

V. Illych L. posted:

corbyn has been in permanent retreat except during the election

the right-wing elements of the party getting restless and doing spectacularly stupid poo poo like teaming up with tories is probably a symptom of the corbynite faction pretty much having captured most of the party apparatus

The fact you believe this is more proof you don't live here

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

loving nothing on any of the front pages tomorrow about Begum's baby, aside from the Observer. Very happy to splash her all over when she's being denied her citizenship, not so keen on their readers knowing the consequences. Scumbags.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Jose posted:

The fact you believe this is more proof you don't live here

i guess

The DPRK
Nov 18, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

jabby posted:

loving nothing on any of the front pages tomorrow about Begum's baby, aside from the Observer. Very happy to splash her all over when she's being denied her citizenship, not so keen on their readers knowing the consequences. Scumbags.

Seen some pretty lovely memes floating around Whatsapp.

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

brian posted:

also i despise anyone who uses the term crank and alludes to reasons why you should hate people without providing any evidence or even any reason why so uh not sure you're right on a lot of things weird depressed guy

i just plain don't care for pretentious dicks who say "i despise anyone who..."

anyway she was banned from twitter for making antisemitic comments. posting rothschild conspiracy theories, in fact. it's not the first time she's done it, either. but yeah that's normal behaviour and someone we should be proud to have on the team. not an embarrassment at all.

gh0stpinballa fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Mar 10, 2019

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

The DPRK posted:

Seen some pretty lovely memes floating around Whatsapp.

honestly i just avoided all public opinion about this as best i could. it's bad enough our media are acting as if there's some ambiguity over what javid has done, which is make a deliberate choice to allow a baby to die because it plays well with the pigs who vote tory and will be proof of his steely determination when he's challenging for the leadership.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

jabby posted:

most of their readers are glad that baby's dead, the papers just don't know how to spin it as they can't openly gloat about that sort of thing (yet) and are shielding themselves/the saj from awkward allegations that they just acted to make sure a British child died in a Syrian refugee camp

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Yeah things aren't terribly amazing atm and it's easy to get disheartened especially if you pay attention to centrist melt Twitter, but think about it like this:

- the antisemitism thing is the only attack line that has stuck in any way, this is all they have

- the polls show that despite this, Labour are still only at worst a few points behind - well ahead of where they were immediately before the 2017 election (whether this shows that ok the public sees through it all or just doesn't care isn't certain, but that's another topic)

- that they've really started pushing this now suggests that they're convinced an election is imminent - they wouldn't spunk their load now otherwise.

- Brexit is going to absolutely crush Tory support. Everyone knows this. They're ignoring it and posturing, but come d-day they'll be in the firing line and dominating the headlines.

- under election broadcast rules Corbyn does well, look at the turnaround from bring 20+ points behind in the matter of a month or so last time.

- the Tories aren't winning anywhere near enough young voters, their base is literally dying out, while Labour's (and momentum's) social media game is very strong.

I think Labour has made some stupid mistakes and its response to the antisemitism in particular has been characterised by cowardly appeasement, but I'm still hopeful.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

gh0stpinballa posted:

anyway she was banned from twitter for making antisemitic comments. posting rothschild conspiracy theories, in fact. it's not the first time she's done it, either. but yeah that's normal behaviour and someone we should be proud to have on the team. not an embarrassment at all.

She seems pretty much ok to me and I've seen no evidence of any of this but I may have missed it

brian
Sep 11, 2001

gh0stpinballa posted:

yeah really glad i said it now

she wasn't banned from twitter for making antisemitic comments, she was banned for quoting the bad part of what I believe a tory councillor said, in quotation marks, while also directly quote-tweeting said tweet. It was rescinded the next day. She had one tweet 3 years ago where she said something about the Rothschilds and apologised while pleading that she didn't know it was a trope, she has not repeated anything since this one incident. She was not suspended for that.

it's also amazing that you think she, random twitter personality is the reason corbynism is dead too but let's not get into the galactic brain jumps that you're going to pass off as reason, I just don't care man, go hog wild with your punching left bullshit and you'll get the lovely failed project you clearly have dreams of

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

jabby posted:

Don't worry, I've seen some truly lovely takes on this and I'm sure they'll all be represented in the very sensible columnist pieces

e- the hell is this

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Mar 10, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brian
Sep 11, 2001

an incredibly big picture