Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hobo
Dec 12, 2007

Forum bum
Wasn’t there some outrage by the Mail or the like a while back over the Brexit White Paper being translated into EU languages as that would “show the EU our negotiating position.”?

As opposed to just reading the document in English.

I mean there was gently caress-all of value in it, but still.

Edit: 96, the most common sex position for Michael Gove

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006

Breath Ray posted:

its pretty close to thousands tbf

True but according to the conversation above I should be offered a cigarette and a blindfold

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
In his resignation letter copied to the PM, Jagota, who is of Indian descent, told Lewis he joined the Tory party believing “it matters not where you are from, or who your parents are, the colour of your skin, man or woman, but, how far you go depends solely on you and your hard work”. He said this was “at complete odds with my experience which at best is a failure of process at worst a failure of its officers”.

:cawg:

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Diane is doing a KO on Sajid

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Sajid is trying to push what little remains of his humanity onto the pages of his notebook.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

ThomasPaine posted:

I think super orthodox Marxism does struggle with artisans and other one person private enterprises where there's no labour exploitation but the person isn't really selling their labour and certainly isn't necessarily rich.
He does dump a bunch of those in the lumpen class, not because they're poor idlers, but because they have (in his view) low or no revolutionary potential.

Which really doesn't seem to mesh with what I've seen of freelancers, artists, musicians and the like.

OwlFancier posted:

Really the entire cabinet should have taken points in trader's cant.
Most of them are fluent in cant, or something quite close.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
In contrast with the islamophobia of the Tory party, how many babies has the Labour party's antisemitism killed?

UnquietDream
Jul 20, 2008

How strange that nobody sees the wonder in one another

mediadave posted:

"Back in the Commons, Labour’s Kevin Brennan says it is customary on this occasion to says people have the monkey, not the organ-grinder. But on this occasion MPs have not even got the monkey, he says. And they have not even got the codpiece, he says."

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...s-politics-live

...what??

For context:

https://twitter.com/CardiffWestLAB/status/1105144876071559168

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

What was marx's opinion on clock springs?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

oh hello https://twitter.com/bbclaurak/status/1105149537008656385

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
One of the alt-right sites I keep an eye on for gems is running a funny one today. They're saying (again I believe) that Mays deal was agreed to at a Merkel/May meeting which was recorded and the whole deal was created by the EU/German government. The goal being to remain while not remaining or something. Obviously no-one has the recording and normal media are too complicit to search for The Truth(tm).

Before someone asks for a source, here you go. https://www.politicalite.com/brexit/brexit-bombshell-a-german-brexit-a-scandal-of-subversive-statecraft/

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

Someone translate this into a human language please tia

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Ratzap posted:

One of the alt-right sites I keep an eye on for gems is running a funny one today. They're saying (again I believe) that Mays deal was agreed to at a Merkel/May meeting which was recorded and the whole deal was created by the EU/German government. The goal being to remain while not remaining or something. Obviously no-one has the recording and normal media are too complicit to search for The Truth(tm).

Before someone asks for a source, here you go. https://www.politicalite.com/brexit/brexit-bombshell-a-german-brexit-a-scandal-of-subversive-statecraft/

i will lol heartily if may just capitulates and does a soft brexit

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Whats the cliff notes of the idiocy today?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Vlex posted:

Human failures visited someone who has all the pig photos, May's going to say the same thing as always tomorrow, but instead of "the giant turd" it'll be "a giant turd", she'll lose by the second largest margin in history instead of the largest, this will be touted as progress.

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006

Vlex posted:

It's the chief whips job to make Tory MPs vote for whatever they've come up with and they're getting a head count before putting this new arrangement to a vote

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

serious gaylord posted:

Nothing of import happened, again. Nothing of import will ever happen again and we will remain with a government too frozen to make any moves and backbenchers too mad at them to support them and too terrified of the opposition to try and do anything about it.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

ThomasPaine posted:

I think about it like this: they are worth that much, not for their skills, but because their very existence drives a wedge between the working class and prevents class consciousness that would otherwise end in revolution within months. The labour price is set artificially high not because it's worth that much, but because it's vital that they think it's worth that much. This is also why many very well paying jobs are actually, when it comes down to it, way more relaxed than traditional working-class ones. Capital must be [i]seen[/] to do one thing while in practice it does the reverse.

Sure, but that's not how the hedge fund managers and banker CEO's think - they aren't all secret masters of Marxist analysis. I think the answer is simpler - when you are dealing with (and creating "value" in) millions of pounds each day, even the most lacking in class consciousness worker will demand a peace of that pie. And given these workers do create millions and millions in value for the company, paying them hundreds of thousands to buy their loyalty and get the "best" talent is worthwhile. These jobs are more relaxed because intellectual work is simply more relaxed in general than manual work when you aren't being stuffed with busywork, and the richest elites create enough busywork for themselves (see previous articles)

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

serious gaylord posted:

There's no changes to May's deal. She went to Strasbourg to find a unicorn, and at the very most will come back having sold our cows for magic beans.

In spite of this whole process having gone on for almost three years, Bercow has expressed that he will welcome last minute amendments to the bill

Tory islamophobia killed a baby.

Hobo
Dec 12, 2007

Forum bum

Nothingtoseehere posted:

Sure, but that's not how the hedge fund managers and banker CEO's think - they aren't all secret masters of Marxist analysis. I think the answer is simpler - when you are dealing with (and creating "value" in) millions of pounds each day, even the most lacking in class consciousness worker will demand a peace of that pie. And given these workers do create millions and millions in value for the company, paying them hundreds of thousands to buy their loyalty and get the "best" talent is worthwhile. These jobs are more relaxed because intellectual work is simply more relaxed in general than manual work when you aren't being stuffed with busywork, and the richest elites create enough busywork for themselves (see previous articles)

The flaw here is the assumption that the value created is largely attributed to their direct actions, as opposed to the actions of the people that report to them and the ones that report to them and so on down the chain.

The other argument is that a senior position carries a lot of responsibility, and responsibility carries higher pay. And yet when things go wrong, they still get a huge amount of pay, or a golden parachute, or when it comes to legal troubles, claim that they can’t possibly track everything.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

serious gaylord posted:

We're all going to starve, panic buy baked beans and monster munch.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Vlex posted:

they're going to vote on a deal the EU won't accept because they're incredibly loving stupid

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Nothingtoseehere posted:

Well that's the thing about ideological processes - you don't have to be conscious of them to work in their interests and generally speaking it's actually better that you're not. The actions that defend capitalism seem perfectly rational and sensible within its framework because how could they not?

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Hobo posted:

The flaw here is the assumption that the value created is largely attributed to their direct actions, as opposed to the actions of the people that report to them and the ones that report to them and so on down the chain.

The other argument is that a senior position carries a lot of responsibility, and responsibility carries higher pay. And yet when things go wrong, they still get a huge amount of pay, or a golden parachute, or when it comes to legal troubles, claim that they can’t possibly track everything.

This is about why even the entry-level bankers or whatever make mad salaries. The people above them just subscribe to the mental fallacy of "If I manage a team of people creating value for the company, I deserve to earn more than them for keeping them doing so!" and the amounts of money sloshing around are so insane due to capital accumulation that even a crumb of the pie is worth millions.

There's actually an argument to be made that private pension schemes fought for by unions lead to neolibralism just due to the massive amount of capital that flowed into the hands of the financial classes to wield power with, but eh.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Jose posted:

they're going to vote on a deal the EU won't accept because they're incredibly loving stupid

I guess the thinking could be 'the EU won't accept it but that means we can spin them as the villains more easily', especially if she's thinking in party political terms rather than about the actual impact of Brexit (which she almost certainly is)

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

When did the idea that labour is a broad church become a thing and am I right in assuming it was thought up during the Blair years as an excuse for marginalising the left?

ahmini
May 5, 2009

ThomasPaine posted:

I guess the thinking could be 'the EU won't accept it but that means we can spin them as the villains more easily', especially if she's thinking in party political terms rather than about the actual impact of Brexit (which she almost certainly is)

Can they do this? I mean, it would surely be in contempt of Parliament for the government to table a "deal" for a vote that was no such thing? They way I read it the have vote on whatever has been agreed with the EU, and this still looks to be the same deal May got ages ago. Sure the EU may put out some "clarifying" statements in the next few hours but they won't be legally binding so they mean nothing.

I think it's more likely that the ERG are shifting their focus from obstructing May's deal to simply sabotaging its effects in the transition period. In which case their members can be whipped to vote for it, especially as continuing to obstruct could potentially lead to No Brexit as well as No Deal. I expect a lot of spin on whatever verbiage the EU comes out with in the next day in order to allow ERG members to claim "things have changed" and switching their vote is justified.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Vlex posted:

Nothing has changed. NOTHING HAS CHANGED!

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Nothingtoseehere posted:

They also tweeted about doing so, which was the bit that brought them attention and linked their real identity to the Internet. SA is an American website, I'm pretty sure it's nearly impossible for it to be forced to give up poo poo for foreign libel cases.

No poo poo, this was me! Like 6 years ago! Weird, I'd stopped going on SA for years and recently started reading this thread again because of all the Brexit fun. I didn't post it on Twitter, just here. Didn't even have a Twitter account back then I don't think.

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret

Jose posted:

They probably think they can force the EU with some "and this is my final offer!" chest puffing.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Jose posted:

When did the idea that labour is a broad church become a thing and am I right in assuming it was thought up during the Blair years as an excuse for marginalising the left?

The 1900s. Seriously, The Labour Party has always been a broad church, the party of Crosland and Gaitskell as much as it was Bevan and Jenny Lee.

The Labour Party, as it picked up steam, took in not just Liberal MPs (see the Lib-Lab agreement) but also some Conservatives who were working class but up to that point were maybe focused on social issues. I'd need to look up a book to name some examples mind.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Mar 11, 2019

SpaceCommie
Oct 2, 2008

I'm escaping to the one place that hasn't been corrupted by Capitalism ...

SPACE!

So I was thinking on the tube this morning about self-immolating outside parliament in protest at this whole poo poo show, but to be honest I'm not sure it wouldn't just be used as an attack on the left at this point.

"Corbynista academic contributes to global warming by starting a petrol fire outside Westminster" or something.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
"antisemite terrorist dies in failed petrol bomb attack"

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

"I hear the burning person's concerns and I agree, we need a strong deal that respects the referendum and protects the British economy, and the only way to ensure that is to vote for this deal"

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

SpaceCommie posted:

So I was thinking on the tube this morning about self-immolating outside parliament in protest at this whole poo poo show, but to be honest I'm not sure it wouldn't just be used as an attack on the left at this point.

"Corbynista academic contributes to global warming by starting a petrol fire outside Westminster" or something.

If I thought that it would help
I would immolate myself
In full view of the camera crews, my counterclaim
But as we all know
The only tale that would be told
Would be that it was me that was insane

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
"I acknowledge the passion with which the man immolated himself"

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/C4meronM4tthews/status/1105013837248581632

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
"I fully understand the concerns of the gentleman. I myself did something very similar this morning, only in my bathroom instead of outside Westminster, and using water instead of petrol. I think that shows my commitment to making Brexit a success."

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006
lmao the beeb are already trying to sell the second largest rebellion in the commons of all time as an improvement on the largest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Really the issue is that being on fire is a very interpretive method of communication unless you're the human torch and can make the fire spell dirty words.