Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpaceCommie
Oct 2, 2008

I'm escaping to the one place that hasn't been corrupted by Capitalism ...

SPACE!

mrpwase posted:

If I thought that it would help
I would immolate myself
In full view of the camera crews, my counterclaim
But as we all know
The only tale that would be told
Would be that it was me that was insane

I had never listened to Propagandi before so thanks for that.

loving hell really? That's what I start the page with ...

'97 was the year we elected the best Labour government of all time that didn't do anything wrong ever at all, for all of about 5 minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
There are 90 people there apparently

https://twitter.com/ToryFibs/status/1105159376472600577

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
"for the many, not the few" was itself a Blairite slogan once; that's how it made it into the Blair version of Clause IV

it was an assertion of the social democratic dogma that the point of redistribution is redistribution, not a stepping-stone to industrial democracy

history works in funny ways

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

ronya posted:

"for the many, not the few" was itself a Blairite slogan once; that's how it made it into the Blair version of Clause IV

it was an assertion of the social democratic dogma that the point of redistribution is redistribution, not a stepping-stone to industrial democracy

lol i didn't know this but it makes the labour rights histrionics even funnier

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

ahmini posted:

Can they do this? I mean, it would surely be in contempt of Parliament for the government to table a "deal" for a vote that was no such thing? They way I read it the have vote on whatever has been agreed with the EU, and this still looks to be the same deal May got ages ago. Sure the EU may put out some "clarifying" statements in the next few hours but they won't be legally binding so they mean nothing.

I think it's more likely that the ERG are shifting their focus from obstructing May's deal to simply sabotaging its effects in the transition period. In which case their members can be whipped to vote for it, especially as continuing to obstruct could potentially lead to No Brexit as well as No Deal. I expect a lot of spin on whatever verbiage the EU comes out with in the next day in order to allow ERG members to claim "things have changed" and switching their vote is justified.

A vote in parliament can be held on literally whatever the hell they want, whether it has been agreed by the EU or not. Unless May outright says it has been accepted by Brussels when it hasn't, she's not in contempt. Unless she's prioritising the Tory party over the country (likely) and her own reputation (dubious), it would nevertheless be a very stupid thing to do because she just ends up looking ridiculous when she gets told to gently caress off again and has to bring a deal to the commons a third time. It's hilarious though because there's nothing she can do. The EU won't renegotiate a deal without a substantial political shift and parliament won't pass the only deal they've said they'll accept, so there's literally nothing she can do but bluster. And she can only do that until the end of the month. Kicking the can down the road works, but as she's found out you do eventually reach the end of the road.

Honestly, unless she's willing to deal with the absolute chaos of No Deal by default she has to accept that there needs to be a major political change, either via a GE (good) or another referendum (bad), or at the very least by resigning (which seems to be the very last thing she's willing to do). One thing she could try, which might somehow work, is to put her deal alone vs. Remain on a binding public ballot, which would give her a decent chance of pushing it through (or putting the whole thing to bed with a Remain win), bypassing MPs while maintaining the 'democratic' rhetoric. That would, I assume, require approval by the house itself, so it's unlikely but there's some chance she could spin it.

ThomasPaine fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Mar 11, 2019

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

SpaceCommie posted:

So I was thinking on the tube this morning about self-immolating outside parliament in protest at this whole poo poo show, but to be honest I'm not sure it wouldn't just be used as an attack on the left at this point.

"Corbynista academic contributes to global warming by starting a petrol fire outside Westminster" or something.

People set themselves on fire in job centres during the coalition and they just ignored it.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

mrpwase posted:

If I thought that it would help
I would immolate myself
In full view of the camera crews, my counterclaim
But as we all know
The only tale that would be told
Would be that it was me that was insane

:respek:

SpaceCommie posted:

I had never listened to Propagandi before so thanks for that.

:respek:

ukle
Nov 28, 2005
https://twitter.com/asentance/status/1105169174974869506

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

ayyylmao

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
MEP elections are 23 May, for the record.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
The Irish are rustled

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1105171167944552449?s=19

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

lol at first I read this as delaying the vote until the 24th of March which was hilariously on form but this is even better

indeed

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Just watched The Saj defend his dead baby initiative

Diane Abbott was good and also extremely pissed off. Pretty much everyone on all sides was critical of Javid, so he ended up mostly telling people it was a complex and difficult case, thanking people for mentioning that it was a complex and difficult case, or just repeating the points of criticism but trying to make it sound positive and like they were agreeing with him

couple of standout highlights though:
- it wasn't about citizenship, we don't have a consulate so we're not able to help people there even if we want to (*revokes citizenship to help*)
- it's illegal under international law to make someone stateless, therefore the Home Office cannot have made her stateless, because that would be against the law

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon

Doesn’t say what year.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

It's like she's trying to help them make her look unhinged.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.

Was anyone else scrolling through the thread, and just before it stopped on this picture thought to yourself "God drat that's a big burrito, wait why does May have a burrito? Oh it's not a burrito." Also why is her jacket made from curtains?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

V. Illych L. posted:

imo the existence of a middle class really is a difficulty for the more dogmatically marxist

fortunately it looks like it was all a historical aberration and is going to leave us in peace soon

Yes, fortunately soon all power and wealth will once again be concentrated in the hands of the elite while everyone else struggles in misery. Fortunately.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Verizian posted:

Was anyone else scrolling through the thread, and just before it stopped on this picture thought to yourself "God drat that's a big burrito, wait why does May have a burrito? Oh it's not a burrito." Also why is her jacket made from curtains?

Let's not forget the "80s straight-to-video future assassin" bangle.

Undead Hippo
Jun 2, 2013

Verizian posted:

I feel like somebody close to May has noticed that the media gives undue attention to female politicians clothing and appearance instead of their ideas, and has taken entirely the wrong conclusion.

"If we dress her like a clown, they'll be so distracted that they won't notice she hasn't got any ideas"

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Her robot arm is showing.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

ronya posted:

It predates that as an anti-apartheid slogan, and was used by N. Barney Pityana in his sermons in Birmingham in the 80s, so it seems the Blairites were not original there either.

baka kaba posted:

Just watched The Saj defend his dead baby
- it's illegal under international law to make someone stateless, therefore the Home Office cannot have made her stateless, because that would be against the law
Excited to try this one in court.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Verizian posted:

May has a selection of very odd jackets. Though she has yet to top car park rainbow dazzle camo or 70's billy connolly.

I'm more wondering if it's the wind doing that or whether she's wearing giant tudor puffed sleeves to intimidate her enemies.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
Nobody could have predicted this

https://twitter.com/nicholaswatt/status/1105181907954872320

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

also lol at Brexit getting delayed by 3 weeks that achieves nothing

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

I saw that May pic and assumed it was a photoshop reference to a show I haven't seen

Guavanaut posted:

Excited to try this one in court.

It's pretty amazing eh

https://parliamentlive.tv/event/index/0558e31f-4365-4056-bd80-8a1168dcffb9?in=16:52:40

also I forgot the bit where Joanna Cherry pointed out that Shamima Begum was groomed as a 15 year old child, and probably didn't much say in whether she had children since Daesh probably aren't big on consent or women's reproductive rights, and Javid spun that into "no-one should make a judgement on the threat a foreign terrorist fighter poses to our national security based on their gender"

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

It's a shame he died because I would have really liked to see what he thought of leninism.

In my mind it's probably just that video of the plane crashing into the forest with the guy going "ohhh nooo".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAg-WauGrLU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Pochoclo posted:

also lol at Brexit getting delayed by 3 weeks that achieves nothing

SIX weeks jeez that took a lot of effort to not pass.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

what is she even trying to accomplish by dragging this out for such a paltry period of time

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

thespaceinvader posted:

SIX weeks jeez that took a lot of effort to not pass.

Ah drat true lol. In my defence it's not going to make any difference except for people who intend to leave the country and need an extra month or so.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Is this another bet?

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

V. Illych L. posted:

what is she even trying to accomplish by dragging this out for such a paltry period of time

To give the illusion to the UK press and gammons that the EU will bend over like the cowards they are at the last minute.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

V. Illych L. posted:

No deal becomes impossible to ignore

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Here's the thing, what would a good deal even look like?

Because the EU has gone quite far in trying to accommodate the more reasonable demands (backstop, trade deal w/o complete freedom of movement, reciprocal guarantees on citizen rights).

It's: "customs union but we can make our own deals with other countries, all rights guaranteed for our citizens and companies but no freedom of movement, full voting rights in the EU but no contributions to the budget", isn't it

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Diane Abbott made a strong and passionate argument about how the Home Sec illegal and immoral actions likely ended the life of a new born child.

GAMMONVISION
SHE SYMPATHISED WITH THE JIHADI BABY AND IS RUBBISH!!!!!!!

brian
Sep 11, 2001
I obtained this title through beard tax.

this is a v good picture

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

So is anyone getting the sense from talking to people that they're starting to realise the stakes, what's actually about to hit us in 3 weeks? What it's actually going to mean?

Like at this point the national discourse should be at fever pitch but it feels like there's a vague curiosity, and all that's really happening is that politicians are at it again with their games. It makes sense in a way because when people actually talk about why they voted Leave, you get this completely abstract talk about how the EU makes all our rules and we should be able to make our own deals - it's like a point of principle rather than a very real and concrete thing that's interwoven with the nation and its people's lives, so it doesn't actually matter. Being in the EU is just an annoyance, so being out of it will be nice but won't make any major difference, because a lot of people don't really see its presence in their day to day lives

But all the "informed" discussion on it seems to be about the antics in parliament, and not really much on why it's happening and what each outcome means? Still, even now? Like, people don't even know what "no deal" actually is. Feels like there's still such a vacuum of analysis and information, and if we get a referendum it's gonna be 2016 all over again because the groundwork just hasn't been laid

So it'd be nice to know if anyone's been hearing positive noises from people, regret or doubt from people who were all for it before, that kind of thing. It's no good May completely loving up if nobody actually realises she's done it

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Bought a load of dollars as a hedge for my holiday money today, so A50 cancellation and the pound leaping back up to $2 now guaranteed.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
May is dressing like she's Camilla Parker Bowles, one step off the Queen.

I think power might have gone to her head lads and ladies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Long enough to piss Europe off even more; far too short to actually achieve anything. The poster who said you could predict the next Brexit move simply by imagining the dumbest possible outcome was so right.