Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Day 10 standings:

code:
Kenning		29.5
Martytoof	26
ratmosphere	25.5
Rigel		40
sivad		35
Pulling for an Ichinojo yusho. Also, Takakeisho was very convincing vs. Kakuryu today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Some really good bouts on day 11. Really liked Hakuho/Takakeisho, Shouhouzan/Abi and of course Aoiyama/Ichinojo.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Ichinojo just saying “dude gently caress OFF” with that final neck slap-down. Got me pumped up.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Hakuho fight was fun and not one-sided. Actually, most of the higher levels were fun to watch.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Day 12 standings:

code:
Kenning		32
Martytoof	34.5
ratmosphere	26.5
Rigel		48
sivad		43
Man, Ichinojo vs. Aoiyama was some clash of the titans poo poo, it was awesome. This has been a super exciting basho. Still got my fingers crossed for Takakeisho. If he can take an ozeki down I think he'll still make his rank.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Well done to Tomokaze getting a winning record at the first attempt in the top division

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Ikioi looks like he could do with some healing time. Kaisei and Endou is the first torinaoshi I've ever seen. Even for sumo Ichinojou is a big bastard!

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

I’m just glad he finally decided to start using his heft. He spent the last two years being so disappointing but he’s really starting to turn it on which is exciting.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I don't really follow sumo, I've kinda watched the two last bashos because I thought there might be something to it other than big dudes slapping each other and my perception of it has changed quite a bit, but I mostly came here to post that holy poo poo Hakuho is so evidently amazing at this even someone that doesn't know poo poo about the sport can see it.

also my good brazilian boy is probably hurt :smith:

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

People in their 30s have had the opportunity to watch Joe Montana, Wayne Gretzky, Michael Jordan, Barry Bonds, Messi, Mike Tyson and Hakuho be the greatest athletes in their sport and honestly Hakuho might be the most ridiculously dominant dude ever. He is not even in his prime right now and it’s still a pleasure to watch him just absolutely dominate.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Hakuho is completely insane. It's like he's playing a different sport than everyone else.

Day 13 standings:

code:
Kenning		34
Martytoof	37
ratmosphere	29.5
Rigel		51.5
sivad		43
I'd really love to see either Takayasu or Kakuryu put some dirt on Hakuho to make it a race, but honestly at this point it's looking like another zensho possibly. Ichi is looking awesome, but I think I'm going to be rooting for Takakeisho tomorrow, cause a win over Ichi is basically a guaranteed ozeki promo, especially with wins over Kakuryu and Takayasu this basho, Hakuho last basho, and Tochinoshin, Goeido, and Kisenosato in Kyushu last year. I can't believe they didn't promote him after Hatsu.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Guess I jinxed it. Tochinoshin vs Takakeisho on the final day to decide who is Ozeki in May

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Tochi's knee issues make we wonder if he can make the 10-win requirement next basho if he loses tomorrow. Takakeisho will still end up at 9 wins if he loses and can still make an ozeki push next basho assuming he stays healthy.

I hope Tochi wins, but drat, I wish I didn't have to choose one or the other to root for. :ohdear:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Not gonna lie, I’m going to root got takakeisho. Feel bad for Tochi but ehh.

With all due respect to Hakuho’s obvious talent, I still don’t find it very interesting to watch him win for the same reason I don’t want to watch an NHLer take slapshots on a peewee goalie. I’m a huge fan of parity and he seems to outclass everyone by a mile so it never feels competitive. Another way to look at it is that I always feel disappointed watching him because I’m always rooting for the underdog but I //almost// never get the satisfaction of an underdog win so by now I probably just associated watching him with a general sense of disappointment.

My two cents and change.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

So how high will Ichinojo rise up the ranks with these results? I'm not too familiar with sumo but between him either going 13-2 or 14-1 and everyone above him up to Takakeisho losing most of their matches he has to go up a bunch, right? Is skipping Komusubi a thing if he pulls off the 14-1?

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Martytoof posted:

With all due respect to Hakuho’s obvious talent, I still don’t find it very interesting to watch him win for the same reason I don’t want to watch an NHLer take slapshots on a peewee goalie.

My two cents and change.

Yea the rank in file middle and bottom of the pack is definitely the most fluid, especially the last couple of years with some guys really being inconsistent (endo, shoudai, I’m looking at y’all) but man getting to see someone like Hakuho is an honor and something we won’t get to see again in our lifetime.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

looks like they hosed up the call on the Endo match? judges had him winning but it looks like he brushed his foot outside

https://www.twitch.tv/mbovosumo/clip/AthleticTenderDragonflyJonCarnage

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

rare Magic card l00k posted:

So how high will Ichinojo rise up the ranks with these results? I'm not too familiar with sumo but between him either going 13-2 or 14-1 and everyone above him up to Takakeisho losing most of their matches he has to go up a bunch, right? Is skipping Komusubi a thing if he pulls off the 14-1?

Banzuke predictions can be tricky (which is why there are "predict the banzuke" contests on the internet) but this one is easy. A 14-1 jun-yusho (or even 13-2) at M4 with both komosubi having losing records is going to shoot him all the way up as far as the banzuke allows. In this case I think Ichinojo is almost a lock to be sekiwake in May.

If Tochinoshin gets his 8th win, then he will grab the open West Sekiwake slot. If Tochinoshin loses and is pushed down into that slot, then that means Takakeisho will definitely be promoted, and Ichinojo will still grab the sekiwake slot.

Its the bottom of the banzuke that is going to be a goddamn nightmare to predict for those who care. Its always a bit tricky, but this year that area along with the top of juryo is a mess. There are probably going to be plenty of demotable candidates, but maybe not enough promotable candidates. There could be a lot of banzuke luck for the bottom maegashira, especially if Chiyoshoma loses on day 15. I doubt there are going to be 6-7 promotable juryo guys.

This particular May banzuke is going to be so hard to guess both at the top and the bottom, that it might be fun to take a stab at it next week. Not drawing up the whole thing, but maybe O through M1, and who is moving up and down from/to juryo.

Rigel fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Mar 23, 2019

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Sansho for this tournament

Shukun-sho: Ichinojo

Kanto-sho: Aoiyama (conditional)
Kanto-sho: Kotoshogiku (conditional)
Kanto-sho: Tomokaze (conditional)

Gino-sho: Takakeisho (conditional)

Only one of Aoiyama and Tomokaze will be winning the prize because they are facing each other.

Rigel fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Mar 24, 2019

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
Hakuho wins, but that injury looks serious. Hopefully this isn't another situation like we had with Kisenosato. If it is, I think he should go out on top, this basho has been the perfect example of Hakuho sumo.

Puckish Rogue
Jun 24, 2010

Konstantin posted:

Hakuho wins, but that injury looks serious. Hopefully this isn't another situation like we had with Kisenosato. If it is, I think he should go out on top, this basho has been the perfect example of Hakuho sumo.

I've not seen today's action, what are the details on the injury? Did his body finally burn out due to his raw power and he's now just an intense ball of energy?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Martytoof posted:

With all due respect to Hakuho’s obvious talent, I still don’t find it very interesting to watch him win for the same reason I don’t want to watch an NHLer take slapshots on a peewee goalie. I’m a huge fan of parity and he seems to outclass everyone by a mile so it never feels competitive. Another way to look at it is that I always feel disappointed watching him because I’m always rooting for the underdog but I //almost// never get the satisfaction of an underdog win so by now I probably just associated watching him with a general sense of disappointment.

My two cents and change.

I've only been to a day of a basho once, but it was evident that Hakuho was just on another plane entirely. And that was seven years ago, my goodness. It's like watching Michael Schumacher at Ferrari -- you want to see a challenge, but have to appreciate just how efficiently and effectively the guy's dominating everyone.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
This was a very nice basho. A big plot twist in the end there.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

That is the first time I've followed a basho all the way through and watched as much of it as possible, really enjoyed it. Hakuho is great to watch. It sounds like a few people in this thread have been to a basho, how long would you spend in the arena on any given day of a basho?

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

drat I was really hoping for a playoff!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

bessantj posted:

That is the first time I've followed a basho all the way through and watched as much of it as possible, really enjoyed it. Hakuho is great to watch. It sounds like a few people in this thread have been to a basho, how long would you spend in the arena on any given day of a basho?

I’ll be there for the May basho, assuming I can snag tickets in April. My plan is to go for the whole day though we’ll see how much low level sumo I can take in before I get bored. I gather they have a one-re-entry policy so if I get bored I’ll just leave, explore the area, and come back for the higher level bouts in the afternoon.

And if I can’t get tickets I’ll just stand outside and look sad :(

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

bessantj posted:

You could spend all day if you wanted to watch the lower ranks, but Makuuchi is from 4pm to 6pm. Pop in an hour or so before that and you'd get Juryo too. Plus the parade of Makuuchi dudes and the Yokozuna dohyo-iri.

It's pretty chill. I think if I went again, I'd want to watch the whole day, small children willing!

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Thanks for the answers. I'd definitely stay there all day, I'd be very interested in seeing the lower levels see what some more basic sumo looks like.

Martytoof good luck getting those tickets, sounds like a good time.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

Puckish Rogue posted:

I've not seen today's action, what are the details on the injury? Did his body finally burn out due to his raw power and he's now just an intense ball of energy?

he was REALLY favoring his right arm after his match, looked like it was something with his bicep.

Puckish Rogue
Jun 24, 2010

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

he was REALLY favoring his right arm after his match, looked like it was something with his bicep.

gently caress's sake. I want to see how long this career can go but going out on top is something rare in sports. He's been written off before so I think it'd be good to see him carry on. Looking at the landscape I think you've got a few more Basho's he could take before he retires

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Konstantin posted:

If it is a torn bicep, then that is not a career ender if he gets surgery and does his rehab. That appears to be 3-4 months or so. Kisenosato's torn pec turned into a career ender because he idiotically decided against surgery to repair it, he might still be active if he had gotten it fixed.

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Rigel posted:

Kisenosato's torn pec turned into a career ender because he idiotically decided against surgery to repair it, he might still be active if he had gotten it fixed.

That's not all on Kise - he must've been under unbelievable pressure from the Association to show fighting spirit as the Japanese yokuzuna they had all pinned their hopes on - and we all know how Kise handles pressure.

Poor Kise.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Fantastic basho, extremely exciting. My roommate and I were on pins and needles the whole time. Too bad we didn't get a playoff, but the musubi-no-ichiban was so much fun. I really hope Hakuho's arm injury isn't too serious though.

Fantasy sumo final scores:

code:
Kenning		37.5
Martytoof	44
ratmosphere	37.5
Rigel		72.5
sivad		55
Congratulations to Rigel to putting up the highest score of any of the fantasy tournaments we've done so far, getting the yusho, the jun-yusho, and 2 of the 3 special prizes awarded, and also nearly doubling mine and ratmosphere's scores. Good times!

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
That seemed like a torn bicep, which is a good four months out. It's recoverable but he's gonna be out for a bit.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Well, I mean I'm torn now. My thoughts on Hakuho aren't secret so I'm fine if he's out and the next tourney is a tossup ... but then I wanted to say I got to see him in person, which now I likely won't be able to. Bummer.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Was I alone in figuring Kakuryu wouldn't put up much of a fight to preserve the whole Yokozuna Uber Alles thing? I expected a short fight with Hakuho winning by something easy and painless. Sort of like what happened in May of last year, when Tochinoshin had a chance at a playoff to win the basho if Kakuryu lost to Hakuho, so of course Kakuryu won near-effortlessly. Instead we got one of the longest fights of the tournament and a possible Hakuho injury! Definitely not what I thought I'd see when Ichi won.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I was looking at Hakuho 's past record and at one tournament he has a record of of 2–3–10. I know the first number is wins and the second losses, what does the third represent?

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

bessantj posted:

I was looking at Hakuho 's past record and at one tournament he has a record of of 2–3–10. I know the first number is wins and the second losses, what does the third represent?

Kyujo (out with an injury)

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
Despite not being able to lift objects with his bad arm, Hakuho has decided that he doesn't need to see a doctor, and will just rest it for a few days before deciding if he will participate in the meaningless exhibition events between bashos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Miracle
Feb 13, 2008

born to shart

Konstantin posted:

Despite not being able to lift objects with his bad arm, Hakuho has decided that he doesn't need to see a doctor, and will just rest it for a few days before deciding if he will participate in the meaningless exhibition events between bashos.

wait for real

sports medicine is for nerds