Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Whys that? And by 'at this point' do you mean revocation is now less desirable than it once was or that you can see it being more desirable in the future?

Unilateral revocation by Parliament would be the biggest gift fascism has ever been given in this country.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

learnincurve posted:

My favourite part of today was the conservative party chief whip saying he was going to vote for a second referendum.

I like when Soubry's speech got cut off because they ran out of time, and it wouldn't have happened if she hadn't kept butting in on everyone else's speeches

Ktb
Feb 24, 2006

marktheando posted:

Oh the MP for Carlisle is one of those Scottish Tories who couldn't get elected north of the border, and he is unhinged.

Yeah he's shite but at least we're slightly better off than Penrith and the Border who elected Rory the Tory - a full on swivel-eyed loon that has managed to claw his way to near relevance by being about the only person in existence prepared to brown-nose Theresa May

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Has anyone thought about asking EFTA if the UK can join, because they were pretty cold on the idea back in the Cameron days.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/aug/09/norway-may-block-uk-return-to-european-free-trade-association

quote:

Norway could block any UK attempt to rejoin the European Free Trade Association, the small club of nations that has access to the European single market without being part of the EU.

Senior Norwegian government members are to hold talks with David Davis, the Brexit minister, in the next few weeks.

Some Brexit supporters have suggested that Efta would be one way of retaining access to the single market while honouring the referendum mandate to leave the EU.

Norway is not a member of the EU, but it has access to the single market from its membership of the European Economic Area (EEA), which groups all EU members and three of the four Efta members: Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein, but not Switzerland.

Norway’s European affairs minister, Elisabeth Vik Aspaker, reflecting a growing debate in the country following the Brexit vote in the UK, told the Aftenposten newspaper:“It’s not certain that it would be a good idea to let a big country into this organisation. It would shift the balance, which is not necessarily in Norway’s interests.”

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

ThomasPaine posted:

lol customs union is going to be a nail biter

Voting to allow prices to increase by X% basically.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Gunder posted:

That’s what I’m coming around to.

Edit: Here's our cat:

Excellent cat

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

keep punching joe posted:

Has anyone thought about asking EFTA if the UK can join, because they were pretty cold on the idea back in the Cameron days.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/aug/09/norway-may-block-uk-return-to-european-free-trade-association

I've heard the opinion that we've never actually left the EFTA and EEA so Norway can, in the words of international law, loving jog on.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

UnlimitedSpessmans
Jul 31, 2015

:nms:

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I've heard the opinion that we've never actually left the EFTA and EEA so Norway can, in the words of international law, loving jog on.

that's dumb even in the brexit context

seriously who the gently caress thinks rules lawyering international law might work

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I'm so loving sick of this 52% / 17.4 million stat being handed over to hard brexit. Most of the leavers I know thought there was going to be a norway+ or whatever and a lot of the Leave campaign's propaganda was about the great deal we'd force the EU into.

Like I said in the last thread, the largest united voting bloc was remain. Whatever your reasons for wanting to remain, they're achievable by not leaving.

Leave voters voted for leave with no deal, or leave with some kind of deal. Those two positions are not achievable concurrently so should not be regarded as one voting bloc.

So even if we ignore the many subdivisions of types of deal and pretend the leave vote can be split 50/50, that still means the vote would be split 48% remain, 26% deal and 26% no deal. Even being extremely generous to hard brexiters only gives them a quarter of the vote.

In all likelihood the referendum was fixed to inflate the leave vote and embolden a very vocal and passionate minority.

I just hate that even seasoned MPs are going around thinking that just over half the country ever supported the insanity of no deal brexit.

This is why if the final referendum ends up being remain / deal / no deal, we'll finally see how small the no deal bloc is.

Caveat: stupidest timeline etc.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Apr 1, 2019

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

seriously who the gently caress thinks rules lawyering international law might work

I know a Very Smart Person who thinks we can immediately and unilaterally "reactivate" all the treaties and trade agreements we had back in nineteen loving seventy before we joined the EU, under the exact same terms as were in force at that time.
The last fifty years just don't seem to have passed for a lot of these dipshit morons.

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Nothing amazing happens here.
Everything is ordinary.

If this happens what the gently caress now? I know "gently caress Knows" is the mantra, but so far gently caress knows has at least been a gently caress knows what the MPs will agree to. Now it is "gently caress knows what else can be done?"

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
no deal shoudl never be on a referendum

uncleTomOfFinland
May 25, 2008

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Pretty sure all the countries that joined the EU that were members of the EFTA explicitly left it at the same time.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

marktheando posted:

Does customs union include freedom of movement or not? I'm confused

A customs union is basically an agreement between countries where they unify their customs policies. They all apply the same tariffs, regulatory checks etc to stuff coming in from outside the union, and because you have that alignment on all the goods inside the union, you can eliminate customs checks between union members. It's not always perfectly streamlined like that, but I think that's usually because of the customs union covering some goods and not others - Turkey's customs union with the EU excludes some things (which technically count as coming from a third country and need to be checked as usual) and they have significant delays on stuff crossing the Turkey-EU border

That tariff and regulatory alignment makes the customs union a single trade entity - no country can offer lower tariffs or standards to attract trade, they all have to be equal, and because of that consistency goods can move easily once they're inside the union (which just-in-time procurement relies on). This is basically why it limits countries' ability to strike their own trade deals - anything covered by the customs union has rules they have to stick to

The single market is an umbrella that includes this trade element, plus other stuff like freedom of movement

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Unilateral revocation by Parliament would be the biggest gift fascism has ever been given in this country.

Ehh I think going through with Brexit would be worse since people would be directly suffering and blaming the EU, remainers and foreigners for Brexit not being great.

UnlimitedSpessmans
Jul 31, 2015

Sex Robot posted:

If this happens what the gently caress now? I know "gently caress Knows" is the mantra, but so far gently caress knows has at least been a gently caress knows what the MPs will agree to. Now it is "gently caress knows what else can be done?"

may brings back her deal again even if they pass, none of these votes are binding.

Kreez
Oct 18, 2003

keep punching joe posted:

No

It means following regulation on goods/importing but doesn't require the country to adopt the four freedoms.

Single Market/Customs Union is the free movement option.

What's the difference between Common Market 2.0 and Single Market/Customs Union?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Jose posted:

no deal shoudl never be on a referendum

OK, but what if No Deal is the only option on the referendum instead?

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
That clock has seen some things today.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

*Jolyoning intensifies*

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

https://twitter.com/BBCPolitics/status/1112798307569422336
When you abstain on the only options likely to get a majority and moan about how the result might be inconclusive.

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Nothing amazing happens here.
Everything is ordinary.

UnlimitedSpessmans posted:

may brings back her deal again even if they pass, none of these votes are binding.

Right now, some consensus on something, anything would be worth it's weight in gold.

Edit: I've turned off parliament TV, I legit can't care to hear that poo poo live.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
There's still Wednesday anyway.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

baka kaba posted:

A customs union is basically an agreement between countries where they unify their customs policies. They all apply the same tariffs, regulatory checks etc to stuff coming in from outside the union, and because you have that alignment on all the goods inside the union, you can eliminate customs checks between union members. It's not always perfectly streamlined like that, but I think that's usually because of the customs union covering some goods and not others - Turkey's customs union with the EU excludes some things (which technically count as coming from a third country and need to be checked as usual) and they have significant delays on stuff crossing the Turkey-EU border

That tariff and regulatory alignment makes the customs union a single trade entity - no country can offer lower tariffs or standards to attract trade, they all have to be equal, and because of that consistency goods can move easily once they're inside the union (which just-in-time procurement relies on). This is basically why it limits countries' ability to strike their own trade deals - anything covered by the customs union has rules they have to stick to

The single market is an umbrella that includes this trade element, plus other stuff like freedom of movement

Right, so it's the Turkey option.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I just hate that even seasoned MPs are going around thinking that just over half the country ever supported the insanity of no deal brexit.

Or the related take that everyone who voted for Labour or the Tories supports No Deal since they voted for article 50 and had pro brexit manifestos.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

marktheando posted:

Ehh I think going through with Brexit would be worse since people would be directly suffering and blaming the EU, remainers and foreigners for Brexit not being great.

Ironically I think no deal would be the worst thing for fascism, give them what they want and let it gently caress them over, but who knows? Right now it feels like everything we do makes them stronger because that's where 40 years of almost unopposed neoliberal bullshit gets you.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The 2015 General Election was the biggest gift fascism could ever be given in this country, because it put the fascists in power.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

forkboy84 posted:

OK, but what if No Deal is the only option on the referendum instead?
Option A: Leave the EU without a deal.
Option B: Don't not leave the EU without a deal.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Ironically I think no deal would be the worst thing for fascism, give them what they want and let it gently caress them over, but who knows?
It would gently caress them over long term by making everyone hate them, but it would give them power now, which they can use to not give a poo poo about whether people like them or not later.

Fascists are not famed for their long-term planning.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Apr 1, 2019

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

uncleTomOfFinland posted:

Pretty sure all the countries that joined the EU that were members of the EFTA explicitly left it at the same time.

Just going by what was said a couple of times in the debate.

Votes are in.

e: No they're not, just saw Bercow but should have realised the chamber was still basically empty.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Kreez posted:

What's the difference between Common Market 2.0 and Single Market/Customs Union?

gently caress knows, I thought they were the same? :shrug:

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Kreez posted:

Single Market means freedom of movement, I think?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Single market is Norway, customs union is Turkey.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The EU won’t allow Common Market 2.0 without freedom of movement lol

We’d probably still have to pay them too

Do it!!!

Do it you cowards!

Kreez
Oct 18, 2003

marktheando posted:

Single market is Norway, customs union is Turkey.

Right, but what's the difference between Common Market 2.0 (which is back to EFTA/EEA, which includes freedom of movement surely?) and Customs Union + Single Market (which is Labour's plan)

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Kreez posted:

Right, but what's the difference between Common Market 2.0 (which is back to EFTA/EEA, which includes freedom of movement) and Customs Union + Single Market (which is Labour's plan)

It doesn’t include the poisonous words in its name.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Ironically I think no deal would be the worst thing for fascism, give them what they want and let it gently caress them over, but who knows? Right now it feels like everything we do makes them stronger because that's where 40 years of almost unopposed neoliberal bullshit gets you.

I mean yeah, you'd think ruling on the smoldering ashes of a post no-brexit UK would be difficult, but otoh Lord Humongous didn't seem to care.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

marktheando posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
It would probably be better just to stay in the EU.