Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Crankit posted:

How long is it

Eleventy-seven and a bit numberwangs, equal to 4732 yards.

(e) AD 70: Romans make a punitive expedition against the Garamantes – they are forced to have an official relationship with the Roman Empire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

UnlimitedSpessmans posted:

hes the brexit secretary

so he fell out of a cupboard and into a cabinet

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Crankit posted:

How long is it

However long parliament ask for once the act passes, unless the EU insist on a longer extension, in which case, parliament is guaranteed a vote on the EU offer.

If the EU says no, welp

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

baka kaba posted:

Hillary Benn commits to the record thanks all the clerks for woring hard, arranging and printing this bill

the printer repair heroes are forgotten once again

Thank you Shane McGowan's teeth

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Crankit posted:

How long is it

I'm not going to discuss that, but if it doesn't go down in the next four hours I'll be consulting a doctor.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

I usually notice tories without plummy voices and I don't remember him being around before, and he seems like the kind of guy who makes you aware he's around

hes the brexit secretary

he's not yet (that's Steven Barclay the smug douche with the silver hair) but a lot can happen in the time it takes to type this and hit go

iSimian
Jan 19, 2008

Well, there's your problem!

baka kaba posted:

the printer repair heroes are forgotten once again

'The speaker and the politicians will look up and shout "Save us!"...and I'll look down and whisper "No." ' says ink blotted printer repair hero.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

hes the brexit secretary

Nuclear Spoon posted:

i'm tired and i don't know if may is appointing people to vacant positions faster than the internet can keep up but i don't think this is correct?

e: he is deputy chair of the ERG however

ah, I was about to respond to your first part, that he has never been Brexit Secretary, but is deputy chair of the ERG and was previously in the Cameron cabinet, but was ousted when May took power

he's been prominent for a while, but until recently May was doffing her cap to him daily so he didn't feel the need to grandstand as much

UnlimitedSpessmans
Jul 31, 2015

Nuclear Spoon posted:

i'm tired and i don't know if may is appointing people to vacant positions faster than the internet can keep up but i don't think this is correct?

e: he is deputy chair of the ERG however

oh my mistake

he is GOING to be brexit secretary

i literally can't tell any tories apart because 90% of them are skinny white dudes w the same hairstyle.

except for the really ugly monstrous ones.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

hes the brexit secretary

no thats Barclay, Francois is a gobby nobody who whips for the ERG, he's just mogg's lackey

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Picking out from this afternoon's posts:

Zohar posted:

don't know how it was at Oxford when she was there but at Cambridge there are quantum physics modules for maths students, so it's not mutually exclusive

I'm a STEM graduate (Dr). My first degree was theoretical physics. I studied quantum mechanics in all 3 years and fluid mechanics (my PhD used fluid mechanics but that was nearly 20 years ago now). Any views I have on politics did not come from my studies! (Well except Schrodinger comes in useful quite a lot for highlighting peoples' aptitude for holding two contradictory opinions at once eg Schrodingers immigrants simultaneously stealing all our jobs and stealing all our benefits etc).

StarkingBarfish posted:

I work two doors down from a Nobel prize winner who frequently demands that the female PhD students in the office opposite make the printer work for him.

I've also watched physicists try, and fail, often spectacularly, to get coffee from a nespresso machine.

When I was temping once in an office full of male engineers, they would try and then give up when the photocopier or printer broke down and have to get one of the 'girls in the office' (regardless of whether they were secretaries, admins, engineers) to fix it.

My former Corbyn-supporting STEM / IT friend who is Jewish and gets called kapo, self-hating and anti-semitic by his lovely family because he is in support of human rights for Palestinians and is non-zionist has gone lib dem lately. He reads and trusts the Guardian and the BBC so they have managed to wind him up even though he doesn't really believe it he doesn't know what to believe.

There seem to be quite a few lefty STEM graduates in this thread so one shouldn't assume we are a homogenous unit when it comes to politics!

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

oh my mistake

he is GOING to be brexit secretary

Does anyone know who's going to Brexit Secretary next week after he resigns?

Dog Friday
Feb 22, 2006
This sounds suspiciously like a positive thing that just happened

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Nothing amazing happens here.
Everything is ordinary.

I'm watching the replay on Parliament Live. Francios loving quoting Jesus lmfao.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Reveilled posted:

However long parliament ask for once the act passes, unless the EU insist on a longer extension, in which case, parliament is guaranteed a vote on the EU offer.

If the EU says no, welp

Given the EU needs us to agree to hold EU Parliament elections if we extend beyond May, can Theresa just "ask" for a longer extension and then just say "but no EU elections, oh, does that mean you refuse? what a shame. well, i asked"

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

fuctifino posted:

Does anyone know who's going to Brexit Secretary next week after he resigns?

Jeremy Corbyn

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

iSimian posted:

'The speaker and the politicians will look up and shout "Save us!"...and I'll look down and whisper "No." ' says ink blotted printer repair hero.

Trust me, the first thing I say before I start repairing a copier is "I apologise for all the swear words you're maybe about to hear"

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer
Loving that tories have just abandoned the chamber for this debate on a crucial environmental issue.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
so is a VONC coming the moment the bill finishes the Lords?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Iymarra posted:

Loving that tories have just abandoned the chamber for this debate on a crucial environmental issue.

This MP seems cool

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Would the EU even grant the UK a long extension?

UnlimitedSpessmans
Jul 31, 2015
wondering how the #fbpe gang are gona find a way to claim that stopping no deal and securing a long extension had nothing to do with jezza.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

OhFunny posted:

No.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

god imagine finally getting your pet recycling issue that you care about down to your very bones into the house of commons and your only opportunity to speak about it is at ten to midnight after everyone's worn themselves out with Brexit Madness Part 589

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

OhFunny posted:

Sure, how about an indefinite extension untill an adult comes in and tells us what to do.

lol

https://twitter.com/LaraCParizotto/status/1113517934905892865

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS

OhFunny posted:

If the UK agreed to hold Euro elections and portray the current negotiations as progress...probably. But it would likely be a long extension (months not days or weeks).

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

keep punching joe posted:

Sure, how about an indefinite extension untill an adult comes in and tells us what to do.

lol

https://twitter.com/LaraCParizotto/status/1113517934905892865

There's no place like home.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Azza Bamboo posted:

so is a VONC coming the moment the bill finishes the Lords?

Dinnae be daft, a VONC would be good and good things don't happen in British politics.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Itzena posted:

If the UK agreed to hold Euro elections and portray the current negotiations as progress...probably. But it would likely be a long extension (months not days or weeks).

No "likely" about it, they've said it will be until December at the earliest, probably December 2020 and they'd like December 2022.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

forkboy84 posted:

Dinnae be daft, a VONC would be good and good things don't happen in British politics.

Also TIG CUKs would vote against it, maybe possibly lib dems too.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

wondering how the #fbpe gang are gona find a way to claim that stopping no deal and securing a long extension had nothing to do with jezza.

"Yvette Cooper did it all, if she was leader Brexit would be cancelled by now"

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Where's Shane Macgowan's Teeth when you need him? Where is he anyway, not seen him post for a while (but I've still got 7 pages to get through).

Ed: he reappeared in that 7 pages LOL

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Apr 4, 2019

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Angepain posted:

Given the EU needs us to agree to hold EU Parliament elections if we extend beyond May, can Theresa just "ask" for a longer extension and then just say "but no EU elections, oh, does that mean you refuse? what a shame. well, i asked"

I'm not sure, let me consult Hellworld's Razor: The answer in any sane world should be no, so therefore the answer is yes.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The problem is that when the EU makes it that long, it's quite likely to sink when it comes back to parliament.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Where's Shane Macgowan's Teeth when you need him? Where is he anyway, not seen him post for a while (but I've still got 7 pages to get through).

Eaten by sea monsters on the isle of wight.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

https://twitter.com/Lord_Sugar/status/1112837661105049600

rofl :allears:

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I posted on this very page!

OwlFancier posted:

Eaten by sea monsters on the isle of wight.

that's tomorrow gently caress my actual life

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

ShaneMacGowansTeet h posted:

Trust me, the first thing I say before I start repairing a copier is "I apologise for all the swear words you're maybe about to hear"

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Nothing amazing happens here.
Everything is ordinary.

It's a right royal mess isn't it. An extension would alieve the economic fears and replace them with a whole bunch of new security fears. This is going to be celtic/rangers except it's the whole of the UK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I initially read that as "don't be bullied into running the country"