Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Finished WoT book 10 (CoT).

It started out really promising then turned to a big pile of poop with a literal 20 Aes Sedai chapters in a row, including 3 hours of a bath. Then nothing of substance really happens until the literal last sentence of the book that came extremely abruptly.

Another dumb book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enigma105
Mar 16, 2004

His record...it's over 9-7!!!

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Finished WoT book 10 (CoT).

It started out really promising then turned to a big pile of poop with a literal 20 Aes Sedai chapters in a row, including 3 hours of a bath. Then nothing of substance really happens until the literal last sentence of the book that came extremely abruptly.

Another dumb book.

But you are now done with "the slog" and get to enjoy all the awesome that it was set up.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I've been waiting for this day for a couple years :woop:

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Don't listen to him, 11 is just OK too :v:

E: That might not be fair of me to say, as this thread previously pointed out I spaced out HARD on some big stuff in that book. I've switched to listening while doing chores around the house and I'm retaining content much better now though.

I'm actually surprised how much I'm enjoying 12. Rand loving nuked an entire city with Balefire. Egwene JUST met Verrin, who very plainly lied to Egwene's face :monocle:

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Apr 5, 2019

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
my prehensile anus, like the tender lips of an elephant's trunk, waits puckered and expectant for the peanut of your ridiculous little dick

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
There was a distinct lack of Wyndle in Oathbringer, I very much hope he plays a bigger role in book 4.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Torrannor posted:

There was a distinct lack of Wyndle in Oathbringer, I very much hope he plays a bigger role in book 4.

My understanding is that Lift is planned to be a major character in the second half of the novels after the time jump, so all her appearances up to this point are just seeds for later.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
I think Lift was confirmed to be more important in books 5+. But I can't find that quote anymore right now.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
I'm hoping Lift is better after the timeskip because everything about her so far has been the worst thing Sanderson has ever written.

This is not an opinion, it is fact, I will not be taking followup questions. Thank you.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Looking back, I'm still amazed that Eshonai is actually dead. Before Oathrbinger came out, we were all like "there's no way that she's dead, she has flashback chapter in the future, and they never found her corpse!

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

Torrannor posted:

Before Oathrbinger came out, we were all like "there's no way that she's dead, she has flashback chapter in the future, and they never found her corpse!

He's been pretty upfront that just because a character is slated to have a flashback book doesn't mean they will necessarily survive.

On Lift:

Arcanum posted:

Questioner (paraphrased)

I was wondering if any of the characters from interludes will end up with their own books.

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

Yes, they will. Lift, specifically, is one of the characters in the back five. I think she might be the only one who has had a view point so far. That’s, um, no … There are others. So, yes, interlude characters will end up with their own books later on. Right now they’re side characters.

Words of Radiance Dayton signing (March 19, 2014)
https://wob.coppermind.net/events/160/#e2882

Captain Monkey posted:

I'm hoping Lift is better after the timeskip because everything about her so far has been the worst thing Sanderson has ever written.

This is not an opinion, it is fact, I will not be taking followup questions. Thank you.

I found her pretty grating too. On rereads it's easier to see that there's less annoying stuff than I initially thought.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Leng posted:

He's been pretty upfront that just because a character is slated to have a flashback book doesn't mean they will necessarily survive.

He said that, but Szeth got revived in the latest (at that time) Stormlight book, and Jasnah wasn't dead. I think most thread posters were surprised how that particular part of Oathbringer turned out.

Jasnah had no PoV chapter so far, right? Next book will have Szeth flashbacks, and the fifth book will have Eshonai flashbacks. So Jasnah will likely join Lift as one of the back five main characters.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Torrannor posted:

He said that, but Szeth got revived in the latest (at that time) Stormlight book, and Jasnah wasn't dead. I think most thread posters were surprised how that particular part of Oathbringer turned out.

Jasnah had no PoV chapter so far, right? Next book will have Szeth flashbacks, and the fifth book will have Eshonai flashbacks. So Jasnah will likely join Lift as one of the back five main characters.

stealing from the coppermind, Sanderson has been pretty open about the back five viewpoint characters (though they've gotten rearranged once or twice, I think). the Eshonai thing is basically showing that we can't assume these people have plot armor, though

quote:

Stormlight Archive 6 - Lift's flashbacks
Stormlight Archive 7 - Renarin's flashbacks
Stormlight Archive 8 - Shalash's flashbacks
Stormlight Archive 9 - Taln's flashbacks
Stormlight Archive 10 - Jasnah's flashbacks

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Leng posted:

I found her pretty grating too. On rereads it's easier to see that there's less annoying stuff than I initially thought.

She's been getting better as her character has been developed and fleshed out. Her initial introduction was horrible.

I still find the modern English slang jarring. I find it jarring from all of the characters, it's just especially heavily used with her.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Torrannor posted:

Jasnah is a great character, but I don't see her becoming a main POV character. She's too powerful and knowledgeable compared to everyone else who's not a worldhopper (and she kind of is a worldhopper too), and "Jasnah is a cypher" is basically her main character trait. It makes the chapters featuring her the best in the books, but showing how the sausage is made in her own POV would ruin it.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Infinite Karma posted:

Jasnah is a great character, but I don't see her becoming a main POV character. She's too powerful and knowledgeable compared to everyone else who's not a worldhopper (and she kind of is a worldhopper too), and "Jasnah is a cypher" is basically her main character trait. It makes the chapters featuring her the best in the books, but showing how the sausage is made in her own POV would ruin it.

If she's a PoV character (and I think I've heard she's planned to be), I don't expect it until the final or penultimate book.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

I still find the modern English slang jarring. I find it jarring from all of the characters, it's just especially heavily used with her.

Why? They're not actually speaking English. What makes fantasy so reliant on ye olde English words? I've never understood this type of complaint.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Leng posted:

Yeah but usually an important PoV character 'dying' completely offscreen means they ain't really dead. One of the most common cross-genre tropes.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

Infinite Karma posted:

She'll become a main character closer to the end when the rest of the characters finally catch up.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
If Stormlight Archives were a Fire Emblem game, Jasnah would be the Jagen of your team.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

Fezz posted:

Why? They're not actually speaking English. What makes fantasy so reliant on ye olde English words? I've never understood this type of complaint.

I think it's the whole medieval setting being the default for fantasy. Sanderson has said that he treats it this way:

Arcanum posted:

Brandon Sanderson (Part 1/Part 2/Part 3)

All cosmere books are to be read as if translated to our language. The translation often uses our idioms to convey ideas.

Usually, you should assume if we didn't translate it directly, it's something that wouldn't work too well in English.

General Twitter 2015 (Dec. 14, 2015)
https://wob.coppermind.net/events/91/#e821

ConfusedUs posted:

If she's a PoV character (and I think I've heard she's planned to be), I don't expect it until the final or penultimate book.

Jasnah's flashbacks are currently slated for Book 10. Other spoilery characters, like Ash, Taln and Renarin are also in the back five.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
I still find it funny how much dislike Lift gets when I really liked her chapters and even the little extra novel.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
It was just the incongruity of feeling like a Reckoners chapter had dropped into the middle of Stormlight. Lift herself and the plot, etc were all fine otherwise.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Jasnah's had some PoV in Oathbringer, iirc. Not much, but some.

She'll definitely be a powerhouse when it comes to her main book though. She's already probably one of the most advanced Radiants in terms of oaths spoken.

Be interesting to see how the back 5 handle her. She's mid-30s now, so a 10 year timeskip would put her almost at Dalinar's current age by the time things get to her (assuming several months to a year or so elapsed per book). That said, Radiants effectively age a bit slower than regular folk due to staying at peak health all the time from Stormlight.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

OAquinas posted:

Jasnah's had some PoV in Oathbringer, iirc. Not much, but some.

She'll definitely be a powerhouse when it comes to her main book though. She's already probably one of the most advanced Radiants in terms of oaths spoken.

Be interesting to see how the back 5 handle her. She's mid-30s now, so a 10 year timeskip would put her almost at Dalinar's current age by the time things get to her (assuming several months to a year or so elapsed per book). That said, Radiants effectively age a bit slower than regular folk due to staying at peak health all the time from Stormlight.

It's not just that she's a very powerful surgebinder, she's also one of the most intelligent people alive, perhaps the most intelligent person apart from Taravangian on his special days.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Tahirovic posted:

I still find it funny how much dislike Lift gets when I really liked her chapters and even the little extra novel.

Yea I liked her too. I guess I can see how someone might be put off by "making herself Awesome" or whatever, but :shrug: I thought she was kind of endearing. Starvin' voidbringers...

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Warbreaker was fun, kind of like Frozen if the Snowman could have drained life from everyone around him. Guess I need to re-read parts of Oathbringer.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

^burtle posted:

Warbreaker was fun, kind of like Frozen if the Snowman could have drained life from everyone around him. Guess I need to re-read parts of Oathbringer.

I just had the reverse experience. Warbreaker was one of the first Sanderson books I read, and after Oathbringer I wanted to go back and revisit it to pick up on the connections. I found I couldn't make it through the book; so many chapters seemed to be the same thing over and over for each character. Kind of disappointing as I was really hoping to enjoy it. Maybe that's what comes of entering into it with expectations of wider Cosmere connections.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

OAquinas posted:

Hard to tell, because the different orders don't all get Blade or Plate at the same level, and it might not be in the same order for every order. Nale is the most advanced, as he's confirmed to have sworn the Fifth Ideal of Law.

We know Windrunners get Blade at the third level and Plate at the fourth based on Kaladin and the gemstone archives.

I'm not sure we know about the Skybreakers; Szeth has sworn 3 oaths and got access to Division but is still using Nightblood and Nale summons his other Blade when they are talking about the 5th Ideal of Law. But Skybreakers are considered a Master after swearing the Fourth Ideal of Crusade so...??? I haven't reread Edgedancer recently so I can't remember if we've seen a Master using a spren Blade or just acolytes using dead Blades.

We haven't definitively seen any live Plate on screen other than in Dalinar's visions. It's possible that Shallan and Jasnah both have Plate based on in-text hints. We know Shallan has sworn the First Ideal and spoken three truths, but there's potentially debate as to how many truths she needs to speak. Elsecallers must get Plate later, since that's Jasnah's reaction to Shallan asserting she's a full Radiant.

As to Dustbringers and Truthwatchers, who knows. Both Malata and Renarin have Blades but that doesn't mean anything in itself.

The Stormfather also told Dalinar that he would be a Radiant without Shards, but whether that just meant the Blade or if that also includes Plate, I'm not sure. But the descriptions of Dalinar in his old Plate were unusual as it often described his Plate as glowing. Plus in the vision with Venli, something unusual is happening to his hand as well.

Leng fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Apr 17, 2019

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

wizzardstaff posted:

I just had the reverse experience. Warbreaker was one of the first Sanderson books I read, and after Oathbringer I wanted to go back and revisit it to pick up on the connections. I found I couldn't make it through the book; so many chapters seemed to be the same thing over and over for each character. Kind of disappointing as I was really hoping to enjoy it. Maybe that's what comes of entering into it with expectations of wider Cosmere connections.

I don't disagree, it feels a little drawn out but I got the sense that was because it was released weekly as an e-read or something? I'm stuck in a pre-bed reading rut so I just scooped it for an easy hit.

Christoph
Mar 3, 2005
In Mistborn were the Terrismen black?

Me and my friends all thought they were, but none of us know why we are under that impression. I did a quick search for Mistborn fan art and was like "who is this bald white guy? I don't remember him from the books."

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Not universally, since if you could easily tell who was Terris and who wasn't a lot of the plot couldn't happen.

Christoph
Mar 3, 2005

Tunicate posted:

Not universally, since if you could easily tell who was Terris and who wasn't a lot of the plot couldn't happen.

Okay cool, that makes sense. Because when Vin burned that obscure metal and saw that the Lord-Ruler was a Terrisman, I was like "well if Terris people are black and the Lord-Ruler is a black dude, shouldn't she know that it wasn't the original non-Terris destined hero guy?"

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
https://www.tor.com/2019/04/17/brandon-sandersons-stormlight-archive-book-four-shaping-up-to-resemble-the-way-of-kings/

Book 4 spoilers:

Some info about the general outline of book 4, with the working title of Rhythm of War. It's obviously the book with Eshonai flashbacks, and it will be more similar to Way of Kings, where the three main characters generally were in different places (Kaladin and Dalinar were only in the same general region).

There will be a primary arc, with 4 viewpoint characters being together in one place. There's also a secondary arc with three viewpoint characters, who are not in the same location as the first four. And the tertiary arc has two viewpoint characters in yet another location.

That's pretty intriguing. This book having Eshonai flashbacks, I assumed Venli would be the main character. But the primary arc has 4 PoV chars, and it seems difficult to pick up three other people who could be in the same place as her. Rlain perhaps? Or Moash as an antagonist to her?

There are also too main people in Urithiru demanding screen time. The primary arc surely consists of some combination of Dalinar, Kaladin, Shallan, Szeth, Adolin, Renarin, Jasnah and Lift. Perhaps the four person group is sent away on another mission, and a two or three person group remains in the tower. Or the other way around. Book 5 will be Szeth' book, so he likely won't travel to Shinovar in book 4.

So we have some small info to endlessly speculate about, it's not as if we have anything better to do :)

Torrannor fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Nov 7, 2020

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

Torrannor posted:

That's pretty intriguing. This book having Eshonai flashbacks, I assumed Venli would be the main character. But the primary arc has 4 PoV chars, and it seems difficult to pick up three other people who could be in the same place as her. Rlain perhaps? Or Moash as an antagonist to her?
If you read the sneak peek at the first chapter which was transcribed on Arcanum you find out that Kaladin is back in Hearthstone, because Lirin stumbles across him. With the one year gap since OB, I don't know that the main locations will all be the same.

Torrannor posted:

There are also too main people in Urithiru demanding screen time. The primary arc surely consists of some combination of Dalinar, Kaladin, Shallan, Szeth, Adolin, Renarin, Jasnah and Lift. Perhaps the four person group is sent away on another mission, and a two or three person group remains in the tower. Or the other way around. Book 5 will be Szeth' book, so he likely won't travel to Shinovar in book 4.

I think we're going to see a rotation in the frequency of people's POVs. There'll be less of Dalinar since he's had his book and I don't think we'll see too much from Renarin, Jasnah or Lift, since their books are slated for the back five.

It'd be nice to see Kaladin swear his Fourth Ideal and Shallan resolve her issues. I'm hoping we get a second bondsmith (Sibling) so Urithiru will function properly again.

mewse
May 2, 2006

McLellan just sent out an email that he's joining a public DnD campaign

https://www.typecastrpg.com/

Hope he doesn't turn into Rothfuss 2.0

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

mewse posted:

McLellan just sent out an email that he's joining a public DnD campaign

https://www.typecastrpg.com/

Hope he doesn't turn into Rothfuss 2.0

Wrong thread?

By the way, I can only recommend the Powder Mage trilogy to Sanderson fans. It's pretty good.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
It's like two trilogies now.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Cicero posted:

It's like two trilogies now.

How's the second Cocaine Powder Mage series? The first one was decent but when the 4th book came out it didn't seem to be as well received in reviews I came across.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
I really enjoy the whole Powder Mage universe. I like magic systems with strict rules, and characters who use that magic in inventive ways. I also like technologically restricted and consistent universes, so flintlock fantasy works well for me. He writes characters with a decent amount of depth and the dialogue ranges from mediocre to surprisingly good. His best strength is probably something that other readers might hate, but I appreciate that he’s an obvious war game nerd who maps out all of his battles. Because he’s so deliberate about where troops and cavalry are laid out for each battle, the conflicts are consistent in how each side responds to attacks and developments. Brian Staveley and Django Wexler also do those things well, and I similarly dig them.