Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Dacap posted:

This somehow makes Lawler screaming “PUPPIES” every night for like 5 years straight sitting next to him even worse

:wow:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

now my brain immediately has jumped to the conclusion that jr shared that story with vince in confidence in a moment of weakness or openness and vince went straight to lawler with it and told him to grind jr in to the dirt with it for a joke

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Dacap posted:

This somehow makes Lawler screaming “PUPPIES” every night for like 5 years straight sitting next to him even worse

Turns out he wasn't being horny when he said he wanted to smash that.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Two Beans posted:

That reads more like "my abusive dad forced me" than "I enjoy smashing puppies".
Yeah, that's what I got from the excerpt as well. :smith: He's still clearly traumatized by the event.

So how about the racism and sexism? Again, an Oklahoma man in his 70s having some questionable views is not exactly the most surprising thing in the world, but was there something especially blatant? I just remember hearing about JR not getting along with racist fuckheads like Ludvig Borga back in the day.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Two Beans posted:

That reads more like "my abusive dad forced me" than "I enjoy smashing puppies".

How? You're wrong. he even lamented knowing that he would not get to do it again when he is older.

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS
Yeah like I don’t know what the racism or sexism accusations are but I’m just gonna assume you’re full of poo poo based on how much you exaggerated the puppy thing

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

go read his older blog entries. its pretty obvious he starts talking about black and women athletes vs white male ones.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

there's a basically abandoned/dead small town not too far from here. it's called Tomahawk. in 1933 a family who lived there went to church and learned about jesus becoming alive again after being dead for three days. they murdered the mother of the family believing that they could revive her three days later as well. i like to think you are the youngest child of that family, Tomahawk.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Dacap posted:

lmao

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS

Cavauro posted:

there's a basically abandoned/dead small town not too far from here. it's called Tomahawk. in 1933 a family who lived there went to church and learned about jesus becoming alive again after being dead for three days. they murdered the mother of the family believing that they could revive her three days later as well. i like to think you are the youngest child of that family, Tomahawk.

thank you

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The only specific thing I can think of with JR about race is that he recently criticized the New Day for "bringing race" into the Kofi storyline and said there was "no place for that in wrestling." I think he's that "the problem with racism are the minorities talking about racism" kind of racist.

But he definitely isn't into murdering puppies. That was unfair.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
Welp JR is cancelled :wtc:

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Trying to turn a pretty clear instance of being a victim of child abuse into an instance of willful animal cruelty so you can highroad people who dislike a guy's commentary sure is a way to go, I guess.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

VJeff posted:

so you can highroad people who dislike a guy's commentary

???

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

VJeff posted:

Trying to turn a pretty clear instance of being a victim of child abuse into an instance of willful animal cruelty so you can highroad people who dislike a guy's commentary sure is a way to go, I guess.

I don't remember the last time I've seen someone mischaracterize a story like that so badly.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

coconono posted:

go read his older blog entries. its pretty obvious he starts talking about black and women athletes vs white male ones.

Also Gail Kim's talks about her past in WWE

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Ross played football, basketball and baseball (he was a 1969 Tulsa World honorable mention All-State defensive end) but became a statewide FFA star, renowned for his stirring speeches. He enrolled at Oklahoma State on academic scholarship, but, thanks to time lost between his frat house and sorority row in the — ahem — sprawling metropolis of Stillwater, managed a "one-point-something" GPA at mid-term.

His dad said his help would be welcome back on the farm, so he boosted his GPA to 2.8 by the end of the semester and transferred to Northeastern State, where during the promotion of a charity wrestling event, he met Cowboy Bill Watts and Leroy McGuirk, a couple of Tulsa-based maverick wrestling legends who ran the Mid-South Territory.

Ross' zeal and effectiveness promoting the NSU event with local radio and newspapers impressed Watts so much he offered him a job upon graduation.

"I didn't know what that meant," he said. "I knew I wasn't gonna be a wrestler. I knew there was no money seeing me in wrestling tights. I was a baby dog murderer."

Thanks to good spelling and penmanship, Ross joined Mid-South as a note-taker, driver, gopher — and murder conspirator.

One time while driving McGuirk (who became blind) to a show in Shreveport,Ross breathlessly called ahead to tell Watts his partner was drunk, had discovered his daughter was dating a wrestler by the name of Ted DiBiase (not yet the Million Dollar Man) and was waving around a loaded .38.

McGuirk had instructed Ross that when they got to the hotel to point him toward the door and send DiBiase in, and when DiBiase started petting his puppy, he would fire until the gun was empty.

"I'm getting very comfortable," Ross recalls. But Watts told Ross to let McGuirk keep drinking until he fell asleep, then hide the pistol.

And that, 40 years ago, is how Jim Ross broke into professional wrestling.

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS
rumors of a tape of JR’s podcast where he uses the “m” word

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

Dacap posted:

...note my avatar, which perfectly recreates my reaction to this post because christ dude

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you

Tomahawk posted:

rumors of a tape of JR’s podcast where he uses the “m” word

Mommy?

Sugar Blaster
Dec 15, 2004

All ears, all eyes, all the time!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6YLk0KMiDA
:bahgawd: Please don't smash the puppies. Please don't smash the puppies.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Edge & Christian posted:

A cherished childhood memory that Ross longs to return to, racistly. No doubt.
That's a very different take than the one he gave on the Stone Cold podcast, where he basically said "some people would call that abusive nowadays, but back then we called it discipline and taking responsibility," so I'm glad to hear that he doesn't actually view it as valid parenting.

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon
like anyone would give a poo poo that the puppies were inbred. the puppies were probably fine, people inbreed animals all the time on purpose, it's called linebreeding. JR's dad is an idiot for not even trying to sell the puppies and JR is an idiot because of how his face looks.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Dacap posted:

:hmbol: god drat

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
"LOOK AT THE PUPPIES, JR!! AHHHHHHHHHH!" repeating every night as Jim Ross struggles to find even an hour of sleep

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Moose dug up a bunch of poo poo on JR years ago and posted it here including examples of him being racist and misogynistic before he had his meltdown and got tossed out of the forum or whatever

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012
Should've just hired Schiavone

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

JR is absolutely a racist

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

The way JR describes black athletes on commentary has also always been a little eyebrow-raising.

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED

NienNunb posted:

JR is absolutely a racist

AEW so inclusive that they are including the racists as well

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS
I’ve heard JR murders people of other races because he watched a movie where it happened once

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon
i heard that the reason Jim Ross got Bells Palsy was because there was so much evil in his heart that it manifested on his visage

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

quote:

WWE Hall of Famer Jim Ross, who recently signed with All Elite Wrestling, appeared on WFAN Radio in New York City earlier today and said AEW will have a weekly two-hour live TV show that premieres in October.

Said it’s a big network

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Grit is an American digital multicast television network that is owned by Katz Broadcasting. The network features classic TV series and feature films targeted at men between the ages of 25 and 55 years old. It is available in 88,800,000 households.

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

My guess is still Tuesday nights on TNT, taking the “Tuesday night cable wrestling show” spot from Smackdown.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
Broke last night.

https://twitter.com/SoDuTw/status/1114254362245832704

cams
Mar 28, 2003

darby all...in...

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I don't think WWE will be interested but literally almost everyone else in North America will be. Maybe Japan too.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
Ibushi signing with NJ means an Indy guy needs to step up.

Darby Coffin Drop off Korauken

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/TrevorDame/status/1114811041517465601