Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

a snowmobile photography outing sounds amazing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

ilkhan posted:

Starting to think about what I want to do with this RP and a Yellowstone trip seems to be in the cards for .. well, some point this year.

How much reach do you really want/need for a trip like that? We'll probably make it back at some point, but it certainly would be a ways out in the future for a return trip and we'll want to make the most of it. Renting a 100-400 and an extender be about right? Or would that be overkill?

I was there last September, it got uncomfortably cold to sleep in a tent (at least for my indoor rear end) but the days were beautiful and not too crowded. 100-400 with an extender should be fine, I got by with a 70-200 and an APS-C crop but more reach would've been useful on a few occasions. As always with wildlife you can't just tell the animals to move closer for a better shot.

Buffalo were just walking along the road

But this one was across the river and that's the closest I got with the 200.

How are you liking the RP? Canon apparently really likes to torture me by making cameras that are almost, but not exactly what I want. I've been shooting the 550D since it was the new hotness and although my skills are still the main limiting factor, it's getting a bit long in the tooth.

I'm looking for something that's a bit better for stills (so anything would do, really) and can do decent 4K. I was still mostly in the DSLR camp and almost got the 6D II last year, until the early reviews made the sensor look worse than some APS-C cameras. Obviously this is still the same sensor as far as I can tell so that's not great, but at the price I might be able to get over it. It is priced like an early Rebel after all.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
I like it so far, but I'm a newbish amateur and the features it's missing are ones I don't need. I wanted cheapish, smallish, and full frame, and it does what I need. Wish there were more native lenses, but that'll happen with time and the EF adapter is good enough for now.

Speaking of, any dimensions on the RF 70-200 lens?

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
I was in Yellowstone in late Sept/early October a few years ago on an organised photo trip. It wasn't deserted but the crowds were manageable. The only place where it was a problem was the car park for the grand prismatic spring. I mostly used a 500mm F4 on a 1DX for the entire trip. Flexibility for shorter would have been nice but much longer isn't much use; not that you won't encounter animals at a distance but it doesn't solve the issue of atmospherics (heat haze, dust in the air, etc). For subjects further away, either get closer or compose for a animal-in-the-environment style picture.

I'm going back on another organised trip next January, including a decent number of days in snow coaches. Should be excellent (and cold! The coldest I've ever been...)

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

mobby_6kl posted:

I've been shooting the 550D since it was the new hotness and although my skills are still the main limiting factor, it's getting a bit long in the tooth.

this is also me. I tend to spend my winter shooting night time drifting events and my iphone has better low-light abilities than my 550D in most cases.

seeing what my friends Sony 6300 is capable of at night makes me really sad.

I've been considering an 80D because I dont really think I will ever need full frame as an amateur/hobbyist and switching to Sony is too much effort.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I, too, am still stuck on a 550D (T2i) :negative:

It's my first and only DSLR body I've ever owned. I need to get a new one, I just haven't had the money for a purchase that substantial lately.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Laserface posted:

this is also me. I tend to spend my winter shooting night time drifting events and my iphone has better low-light abilities than my 550D in most cases.

seeing what my friends Sony 6300 is capable of at night makes me really sad.

I've been considering an 80D because I dont really think I will ever need full frame as an amateur/hobbyist and switching to Sony is too much effort.
The 80D is pretty great and would be a big upgrade over our 550Ds. But wouldn't your night shooting benefit a lot from full frame sensors? A 6D II or RP isn't quite as good as the A7 III but they're also almost half the price plus you get to keep your glass.

They don't even have our camera on there any more but I know it's pretty bad at 3200 and complete garbage at 6400.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I, too, am still stuck on a 550D (T2i) :negative:

It's my first and only DSLR body I've ever owned. I need to get a new one, I just haven't had the money for a purchase that substantial lately.
:smith:

I think it held up surprisingly pretty decently overall and I get a lot of great images out of it, but autofocus is a joke as is high iso performance. I do have more money than I did when I bought the 550D but it's still hard to justify dropping $2k on what is essentially one of many (expensive) hobbies.

Slowly I'm convincing myself that the RP is a pretty good solution. It does well enough 4K for my purposes (filming an interview with my grandfather, so no rolling shutter or autofocus concerns), low light performance is waay better and dual pixel AF is apparently magic. The $800+ extra in my pocket will surely help me get over the fact that it's not quite as good as the new A7.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
The two issues I had using the Sony A7 series is the in camera interface is a dogs breakfast and it doesnt feel as good to use over a longer period of time. Canon really does do both of these things drat well and given I dont do video, the RP is attractive as a first step into mirrorless full frame to me, esp with all the glass I have. I got the 7D mkII and 1D mk IV for speed - I'm not going to be bursting 10 frames in low light and it's going to be better than what I have for low light.

One thing about the A7/A9 is there's some good Canon cameras and glass being sold right now and a few bargains floating about. Good time to do a decent second hand upgrade

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

mobby_6kl posted:

The 80D is pretty great and would be a big upgrade over our 550Ds. But wouldn't your night shooting benefit a lot from full frame sensors? A 6D II or RP isn't quite as good as the A7 III but they're also almost half the price plus you get to keep your glass.

They don't even have our camera on there any more but I know it's pretty bad at 3200 and complete garbage at 6400.

:smith:

I think it held up surprisingly pretty decently overall and I get a lot of great images out of it, but autofocus is a joke as is high iso performance. I do have more money than I did when I bought the 550D but it's still hard to justify dropping $2k on what is essentially one of many (expensive) hobbies.

Slowly I'm convincing myself that the RP is a pretty good solution. It does well enough 4K for my purposes (filming an interview with my grandfather, so no rolling shutter or autofocus concerns), low light performance is waay better and dual pixel AF is apparently magic. The $800+ extra in my pocket will surely help me get over the fact that it's not quite as good as the new A7.

I think the only reason full frame wasnt on my radar was because I didnt want to lose the crop sensor 'reach'. Edit: and price.

the two things I like shooting the most are motorsport and birds. Crop gives me that extra 'reach' that makes it slightly easier, but yeah night time stuff would benefit from full frame.

I just think the 80D, especially how you it can recover so much from a super under exposed image like on the dp-review page, is something I can absolutely work with.

the other thing that holds me back on the 550D is the memory filling up after 7 burst shots and taking like 30 seconds to write it all to the SD card.

Laserface fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Apr 8, 2019

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
I own the 80d If you want to check out some bird shots with the settings my Flickr. https://www.flickr.com/photos/aveslux/

The other option is the 7dMk2 which has better AF tracking from what I hear.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

jarlywarly posted:

I own the 80d If you want to check out some bird shots with the settings my Flickr. https://www.flickr.com/photos/aveslux/

The other option is the 7dMk2 which has better AF tracking from what I hear.

Thanks - these photos are great and pretty much exactly what I do (bugs, birds,nature)

the other small issue is my only decent Tele lens is my Kit 55-250 from the 550D. I have a Tamron 70-300, but it randomly decides to not work beyond 180mm and will cause the camera to ask to reboot. it was a freebie when I bought a 17-50 second hand and the person didnt want to keep it around and it worked fine for a real long time, so I cant complain too much (except that the kit lens has IS and is sharper at all lengths)

I've been looking at second hand 70-200 F/4s or even the 100mm macro since that will get some double duty (and I could sell my 60mm macro)

Laserface fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Apr 8, 2019

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Laserface posted:

Thanks - these photos are great and pretty much exactly what I do (bugs, birds,nature)

the other small issue is my only decent Tele lens is my Kit 55-250 from the 550D. I have a Tamron 70-300, but it randomly decides to not work beyond 180mm and will cause the camera to ask to reboot.

I've been looking at second hand 70-200 F/4s or even the 100mm macro since that will get some double duty (and I could sell my 60mm macro)

I have the 100-400L IS II and the 100mm L macro.

The reach is needed for birds and even at 400mm + "crop" you are only getting 'special' shots when the bird is unusually close.

The 100mm macro is lovely just a great prime lens for macro with a flash.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

yeah I am constantly blown away by how sharp my 60 macro is even when not shooting macro, and the detail it captures in macro stuff with my shaky-hands is incredible.

If i had bought the 60 before my nifty fifty, I dont think I'd ever have bought the 50 at all.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Are you guys talking about the EF-S 60mm f/2.8 USM? I've never used it but isn't it like $400? Then it's not too surprising that it's better than the $100 fifty, it's probably more in line with the 50 f/1.4.

Laserface posted:

the other small issue is my only decent Tele lens is my Kit 55-250 from the 550D. I have a Tamron 70-300, but it randomly decides to not work beyond 180mm and will cause the camera to ask to reboot. it was a freebie when I bought a 17-50 second hand and the person didnt want to keep it around and it worked fine for a real long time, so I cant complain too much (except that the kit lens has IS and is sharper at all lengths)

The 70-200 is amazing, even the f/4 one. I first bought the 55-250 II (didn't get it in the kit) to take on a vacation and it did great considering the prices (and IS is fantastic) but I rarely was really impressed by the results, unlike with the 70-200, which just somehow makes everything look better automatically. Definitely get it if the range is useful for you.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
I’ve been using my EOS film body tons lately. Would a 70-200 be a reasonable to use for 35mm, or is that kind of glass overkill for relatively low resolution images? I could pick up a 70-300, but a faster aperture would be cool.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Why oh why is there is an RF 70-200/2.8 on the horizon and not a 70-200/4? I prefer the smaller and cheaper version, instead of the stupid expensive thing. Wondering how the RF/2.8 is going to compare size wise to the EF/4+adapter combo.

Encrypted
Feb 25, 2016

It would be overkill but then you can always use the 70-200 (f/4L IS or the 2.8 II are the ones to buy) on the sweet full frame sensor later too.

The values of those good lenses never really go down until something much better and cheaper came out, which never happens.

So start accumulating those sweet L glass :getin:

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Encrypted posted:

It would be overkill but then you can always use the 70-200 (f/4L IS or the 2.8 II are the ones to buy) on the sweet full frame sensor later too.

The values of those good lenses never really go down until something much better and cheaper came out, which never happens.

So start accumulating those sweet L glass :getin:

I have a 7D as well, so I’d get plenty of use out of it...

If anything, I’d probably go for the f/4 with IS.

Base Emitter
Apr 1, 2012

?
canon is marking their territory with those high-end lenses. plus they probably want to have 24-70 and 70-200 covered when they release their real pro R body because those customers aren't just going to buy a body and a kit lens.

Encrypted
Feb 25, 2016

ilkhan posted:

Why oh why is there is an RF 70-200/2.8 on the horizon and not a 70-200/4? I prefer the smaller and cheaper version, instead of the stupid expensive thing. Wondering how the RF/2.8 is going to compare size wise to the EF/4+adapter combo.
The EOS R system is canon's plan to hose their users with expensive lenses that defeats the whole purpose of having a small mirrorless setup. While they basically just transplanted their 5D4 sensor into the R and their lovely 6D Mk 2 sensor into the RP.

Seriously the 28-70 is hilariously huge and the dynamic range of the EOS-RP is worse than the 7 year old 6D mark I.

Encrypted
Feb 25, 2016

President Beep posted:

I have a 7D as well, so I’d get plenty of use out of it...

If anything, I’d probably go for the f/4 with IS.

Oh yeah if you dont need the 2.8 then just save up and get the 100-400 II. It's insanely sharp and comparable to the 2.8 II or the f4L but you also get twice the reach.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Encrypted posted:

Oh yeah if you dont need the 2.8 then just save up and get the 100-400 II. It's insanely sharp and comparable to the 2.8 II or the f4L but you also get twice the reach.

I’ve got the sigma 150-600 at the long end, and the EF 28-135 at the short end. Sometimes I’d like a zoom range that straddles the two. Not really doing anything more than e-window shopping and talking hypotheticals at this stage though.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
70-300L is not cheap but it's great.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Encrypted posted:

This. the 100-400 II has become my goto lens (I have a 70-200 2.8 as well thats been fantastic buuuuuut......) and frankly I'd say get it rather than a 70-200 f4. You will not be disappointed, it's a fantastic bit of glass and more useful than a 70-200.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

ilkhan posted:

Wondering how the RF/2.8 is going to compare size wise to the EF/4+adapter combo.

The RF 70-200/2.8 is about the length of an iPhone, if you don't count the fact it extends when you zoom.

Encrypted
Feb 25, 2016

alkanphel posted:

The RF 70-200/2.8 is about the length of an iPhone, if you don't count the fact it extends when you zoom.
But it doesn't exist right now. And when it does it will probably going to cost about 3k.

Also lol @ the RF 28-70 being so oversized that the camera will roll around by the lens if you place it on the table, and it still had bad color fringes.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
yeah but it's f/2!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Laserface posted:

I just think the 80D, especially how you it can recover so much from a super under exposed image like on the dp-review page, is something I can absolutely work with.

I just happened to have an example of this rotting in my catalog and figured I'd toss it in for giggles. I was out shooting and saw a coyote, and like a dumb idiot didn't verify settings before I started machine gunning (I thought it was going to do a pounce so I got a bit excited).

Had a file like this:

On my uncalibrated computer it was pitch black with maybe a hint of "something" but on my calibrated system there is a bit of a silhouette. The histogram is clumped up on the left but everything is there. So I smacked the exposure up in LR to +5 and ended up with this:

There's a lot of color noise in there but the file is WAY more usable than I would have ever predicted. The only body I had prior to this was a 500D and such recovery was straight up impossible.

Encrypted
Feb 25, 2016

Yeah 80D and the T7i/800D has great sensors. Similar to the one found on 1DX-II and 5D4 with on-chip analog-digital-converter.

Ironically they went back to the old garbage for 6D mark II and EOS RP. Probably because otherwise no one would buy the R or 5D4.

The EOS-RP that came out a month or two ago is worse than your 3 year old 80D and as bad as the 6~7 year old 6D.
Let that sink in for a moment.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Really wanna punch whoever made that decision at Canon. Like I don't expect the RP to be better than a $2000 Sony but how is it worse than old APS-C Canons or even loving 4/3 cameras. gently caress you canon. Maybe I should just get a used 5D IV :thunk:

E:
Or... the R? It seems to be available in Hong Kong for about $1500 at which point it makes a ton of sense fuuuuuck

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Apr 12, 2019

Encrypted
Feb 25, 2016

The R is not too bad if you can get it for that price.
Just keep on using all of your adopted EF lenses and be ok with 3fps when you are doing continuous AF.

https://www.dpreview.com/news/2376449107/report-canon-is-lowering-profit-forecast-20-due-to-shrinking-camera-sales

quote:

'Canon will lower its forecast for the fiscal year ending December 2019. Consolidated operating profit (US GAAP), which indicates the mainstay of the business, is likely to decrease by 20% over the previous fiscal year to just over 270 billion yen. About 50 billion yen lower than the previous forecast. The shrinking of the digital camera market and the deterioration of the semiconductor market due to the functional improvement of smartphones (smartphones) will hit hard.'
Who could have foreseen such a thing when they had almost no new innovation since the 5d4 :shrug:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Encrypted posted:

Just keep on using all of your adopted EF lenses and be ok with 3fps when you are doing continuous AF.

https://www.dpreview.com/news/2376449107/report-canon-is-lowering-profit-forecast-20-due-to-shrinking-camera-sales

Who could have foreseen such a thing when they had almost no new innovation since the 5d4 :shrug:

Cameras are probably the highest profile product Canon makes but I wanted to check and see for myself, and if you dig into their annual report you see that the "Imaging products" only make up 25% of sales volume. By comparison, office products are 45% of the sales volume. And remember there are other reports from Japan last year saying Canon was already the biggest mirrorless brand in terms of sales there. EOS M sells a ton to the one-time Nikon D40 and Digital Rebel markets.

My guess? Camera sales shrinking won't help, but it's easier to use a market that is high profile and acknowledged as shrinking as the scapegoat. Nobody will know until the actual reports come out.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Encrypted posted:

Well I found a reseller on eBay that had the camera, adapter and kit lens for 2.3k but they increased the price just before I went to buy it. The camera+adapter kit isn't that great value (assuming the lens is worth it at least 700). Oh well. The 3 fps does kind of suck but I don't shoot sports professionally so I could probably live with it.

So the EOS-M isn't completely dead? I actually considered just getting a used m50 in the short term as I want to shoot some interviews in May and anything would be better than the 550D at this point, crippled 4k or not.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

quote:

Who could have foreseen such a thing when they had almost no new innovation since the 5d4

https://www.dpreview.com/news/5758543529/cipa-s-february-2019-report-shows-huge-drop-in-global-digital-camera-shipments

Entire market for cameras is shrinking, not just Canon.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Hi!

I would like to try to record audio visual with an EOS-M. Can someone give me a couple of key words to search for when I am looking at SD cards or mics to plug into it? And a program to, lightly, edit the video? I got the audio part to where I want it.

Thank you.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Herr Tog posted:

Hi!

I would like to try to record audio visual with an EOS-M. Can someone give me a couple of key words to search for when I am looking at SD cards or mics to plug into it? And a program to, lightly, edit the video? I got the audio part to where I want it.

Thank you.

Tell us more about what you want to record specifically, it makes a big difference, indoor/outdoor, people, one person etc etc.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Mics are like lenses, they're designed for use at different distances and levels. What'd you'd use for a studio voice mic is drastically different from what you'd want to use for environmental outdoors mic.

That being said, the most common microphone I see used is a Rode microphone. I think it's a good first mic considering cost and the fact it doesn't require other equipment.

I use an audiotechnica AT-897 shotgun condenser mic. It requires phantom power so it's driven with a TASCAM DR-60D recorder which can output 3.5mm coax which is what an EOS-M uses. It's meant for directional/long distance recording.

um excuse me fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Apr 22, 2019

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

jarlywarly posted:

Tell us more about what you want to record specifically, it makes a big difference, indoor/outdoor, people, one person etc etc.

thank you, sorry for lack of details. Usually indoor with one person while close to the mic and if I doanything else I will use my Audio-technica AT2020 and pray. Or would the AT2020 be enough?

Also thank you um excuse me for responding. Which type of small Rode mic would you use?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Apparently the EOS-M has Magic Lantern firmware with a bunch of cool video features, including 2.5k RAW lol. Check this out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qc8KqW0QcL4.

The Rode most people seem to use for the on-camera mic is the VideoMic Pro or VideoMicro for lower size/budget. Deity D3 seems like a good alternative but I haven't used it. These should work fine for recording people within arm length.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
For hotshoe mounted I would go with the VideoMic for personal use, VideoMic Pro or Pro + for professional use. Off camera use I'd say NTG4 for boom mount or an NT1 kit for an arm or table mount. That's only Rode.

I prefer Audiotechnica myself. Is there a reason the AT 2020 isn't working for you? Does it need to be off screen?