Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I just finished my long-running solo game of ADP which I've played 1/2 hr at a time every 2-3 days for a while. I was Taliban. Government won on the 3rd prop card by no margin. Next time I play it I'll probably try as gov.

The warlords flow chart seems pretty strange. It wasn't doing much to obstruct me, nor was it really trying to win, because its logic doesn't really seem to be able to generate uncontrolled population. They were just content to throw down bases and sit on backwater EOCs. It just passed its last few turns because it had no pieces to rally, no spaces it could march from without leaving unprotected bases, and nobody it could attack to remove control. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Government is my favorite ADP faction and the best part is taking all the funds as often as possible.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

CommonShore posted:

I just finished my long-running solo game of ADP which I've played 1/2 hr at a time every 2-3 days for a while. I was Taliban. Government won on the 3rd prop card by no margin. Next time I play it I'll probably try as gov.

The warlords flow chart seems pretty strange. It wasn't doing much to obstruct me, nor was it really trying to win, because its logic doesn't really seem to be able to generate uncontrolled population. They were just content to throw down bases and sit on backwater EOCs. It just passed its last few turns because it had no pieces to rally, no spaces it could march from without leaving unprotected bases, and nobody it could attack to remove control. :shrug:

Is that the new bot from the latest version? One issue with all the COIN bots is that they aren't primarily designed to try to win, but rather to make the game more challenging for the human players.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Panzeh posted:

I think having ARVN as a seperate player from the US is weird as f anyway.

I can see it. Diem was famously referred to as "a puppet who pulled his own strings."

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Cessna posted:

I can see it. Diem was famously referred to as "a puppet who pulled his own strings."

What's stranger about FITL is that the RVN are both a player and a game timer. It posits some arrangement where the government exists as an entity with long-term goals that are separate from the individual goals of the various generals who regularly staged coups.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Le Bataille des Quatre-Bras, part 1!

After spending like 4 days deciding on which ruleset I want to use (seriously, the La Bat community is fuckin' stupid, but it's a great game system), I settled on Le Règlement des Marie-Louise. There's also Le Règlement de l'An XXX (more complex and more chrome added) and the 5th edition La Bat rules (more geared toward team play). The ML rules are supposed to be more... beginner friendly. I'm playing solo and I have nothing to prove to anyone so gently caress it.

The situation at start, which is 11:20am. The game turns are in 20-minute increments. The game goes until 9:20pm. (actually this is Turn 2, since a. I forgot to take a setup picture, and b. nothing happened in Turn 1.)

The French units are in the south, around Frasnes. On the left side of the road is Bachelu commanding the 5e Division / IIe Corps. They receive no commands until Ney comes onto the field, which is Turn 4 (12:20). On the right side of the road is the Division de Cavalerie Légère de le Garde Impériale. Napoléon forbid the use of the Imperial Guard Light Cavalry at Quatre-Bras, and instead ordered Kellerman's IIIe Corps de Cavalerie de la Reserve to take their place. However, Kellerman's corps isn't going to arrive until 4:00pm. Finally, up the road a bit at Les Bous is Piré's 2e Division de Cavalerie / IIe Corps. For the first few turns, they're the only ones who can do anything, and even then they have to roll an initiative check.

The Allied situation is a little more sparse. Off the top edge of the image is Les Quatre-Bras, where the Dutch Prince of Orange is holed up with his 2nd Nassau Regiment and his ADC, Major General le Baron J. V. de Constant Rebecque. The rest of the 2nd Dutch-Belgian Infantry Division is spread out south of QB, holding le Grand Pierrepont and Gémioncourt. Around 1:40pm, Wellington and the rest of the Allied forces will start arriving.

Again, turn 1, nothing happens. The Allied forces at Gémioncourt spread out a bit.

Turn 2, Piré finally gets his initiative roll and can move his units. They decide to harass the forces at le Grand Pierrepont.

I added color since it's sometimes hard to make out which side is which. Especially since Piré's cavalry and the Nassau units are both green. The artillerie à cheval moved up toward the farm and unlimbered, ready to fire if the artillery chit is drawn or someone tries to make a move. After that, one after the other, the cavalry units started to charge the Nassauers around the grand farm. The first charge resulted in a rout, marking the unit Plus Grand Désordre. Routed units can't do anything else until they've moved at least 15 hexes away from the nearest enemy unit. The Nassau artillery tried to fire back at the French units, but rolled an 11 (double-one), which caught its hex on fire. Whoops! It displaced backwards one hex, and now it's line of sight is blocked by the smoke. Whoops! Finally, since they're skirmish units (denoted by the cornet on their counter), the Nassau Jäger Regiment was able to keep retreating from charges to avoid catastrophe. After that, the Allied side drew a movement chit, and the Jägers charged and assaulted the exhausted cavalry, causing a rout (off the bottom of the image).

Surprisingly lots of action for a tiny turn! I'm remembering why I love this system so much, especially the ML rules. It's the right balance of playability and chrome to make it so fun.

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Apr 19, 2019

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Cessna posted:

Well-

A: this game doesn't feature the Diem government at all

B: ARVN was basically not autonomous at all while the US was directly involved- the period of time where Thieu actually had some control of ops was 1971+ and Abrams still had most of the pull. ARVN never actually launched any operations against US direct advice and this game does not feature the post-1972 conflict.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

CaptainRightful posted:

What's stranger about FITL is that the RVN are both a player and a game timer. It posits some arrangement where the government exists as an entity with long-term goals that are separate from the individual goals of the various generals who regularly staged coups.

There's a lot of things that are strange about FitL, but the long-term ARVN goals of Control + Patronage makes some sort of sense. Changing the win conditions for each general would be cool, but almost impossible to balance (unless you changed other stuff, which I'm totally in favor of). In my experience most ARVN operations are usually just Train or Patrol so it's not like they're really going at it with the NVA the way the US player is. Besides, if NLF and NVA are separate past 68' then ARVN and US should be separate too.

I think everyone who plays FitL eventually comes up with a whole list of stuff they'd love to change or fiddle with to some degree. I'd love to see Brian Train's take on it.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Quatre-Bras, 12:20pm

Ney's reinforcements arrive!

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Panzeh posted:

Well-

A: this game doesn't feature the Diem government at all

B: ARVN was basically not autonomous at all while the US was directly involved- the period of time where Thieu actually had some control of ops was 1971+ and Abrams still had most of the pull. ARVN never actually launched any operations against US direct advice and this game does not feature the post-1972 conflict.

Huh. I'll admit I haven't played the game, for some reason I thought it covered a wider time frame.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

Cessna posted:

Huh. I'll admit I haven't played the game, for some reason I thought it covered a wider time frame.

The game starts almost immediately after Diem's assassination with Minh as the RVN leader and propaganda rounds are called coup rounds instead because every time a round ends there's a (more often than not) chance for a new RVN leader. There's four leaders and two failed coup attempts in the deck. A failed coup just reduces your RVN forces on the board, but otherwise no effect, this usually just means that the first action RVN takes in the new round is Train. You probably wanted to Train anyway because its tied to the Govern action. The leaders each have their own special rule that either hurts or helps, one of the leaders is Young Turks, a combination of Thi, ky, and Thieu. Young Turks is without a doubt the best one because it gives you bonus patronage on your Govern special ability and you win the game as RVN by engaging in graft.

Ithle01 fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Apr 20, 2019

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

CaptainRightful posted:

Is that the new bot from the latest version? One issue with all the COIN bots is that they aren't primarily designed to try to win, but rather to make the game more challenging for the human players.

Yep. That's the updated bot. The government still did a good job of winning.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

Squiggle posted:

I've never played a real, cardboard wargame before. I'm really into grognard computer games though, so I don't suspect it would be as hard a transition for me as for some people. Since I've been playing John Tiller's Panzer Battles, I finally just picked up one of the ASL Starter Kits (#3), and realized what I've gotten myself into.

I'm game for it, but I'm also looking to pull back the camera (and complexity) too, and I've come across a copy of USE for $44 new. Since it's just come up in the thread, I figured it's a good time to ask: would it be a reasonable place to start on this hobby?

As for ASL, I'm not sure if I should grab Starter Kit #1 and go from there, or plow headlong into #3. The vehicles in #3 seem to add...a lot to the game.

I have so much ASL stuff, and I never really played it much.

It's like riding the loving tiger with ASL. You don't play it. But you have a ton of it. And you know that if you don't keep buying, you'll never be able to find it in print again. So something new comes out. And you feel like you do not want your complete collection to be incomplete. So you end up paying $180(or whatever the gently caress they're charging for this cardboard poo poo now) for something you know you'll never actually play.

I'm looking at you, Red Factories.

EDIT: I mean Jesus Christ, both Hakkaa Päälle and Festung Budapest are already officially out of print. For gently caress's sake MMP.

SlyFrog fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Apr 20, 2019

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
"already"? It came out 4 years ago for HP and 7 years ago for FB.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

Yeah, but they were also pretty much the last main modules/things to come out.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Yanks 2, Forgotten War, Red Factories, various action packs???

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

COOL CORN posted:

Yanks 2, Forgotten War, Red Factories, various action packs???

Forgotten War is not ASL, it's some Korea garbage. Yanks 2 is just a reprint. Action Packs are not major or material.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

SlyFrog posted:

I have so much ASL stuff, and I never really played it much.

It's like riding the loving tiger with ASL. You don't play it. But you have a ton of it. And you know that if you don't keep buying, you'll never be able to find it in print again. So something new comes out. And you feel like you do not want your complete collection to be incomplete. So you end up paying $180(or whatever the gently caress they're charging for this cardboard poo poo now) for something you know you'll never actually play.

I'm looking at you, Red Factories.

EDIT: I mean Jesus Christ, both Hakkaa Päälle and Festung Budapest are already officially out of print. For gently caress's sake MMP.

Why the gently caress aren't you playing with COOL CORN and myself?

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Why the gently caress aren't you playing with COOL CORN and myself?

I'm a old, broken human being who likes to be angry at module unavailability and game companies. I can't actually play stuff - that would just be weird.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

How many ASL counters have you clipped is the most important question.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Quatre-Bras 1:00pm update

Still not much action! Bachelu, Foy, and Jerome Bonaparte's divisions have come into the field but there are hardly any allied forces. The Dutch have retreated toward Quatre-Bras and await Wellington , who has been delayed by a turn!

Edit-- whoops this picture was from before Jerome's forces arrived! But I'm at a karaoke fundraiser for a gay rugby team and I'm drunk right now so deal with it

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
Good luck to you, I know you believe in hell
I've been neglecting my board games for a while now, but I finally managed to play an entire turn of BCS Baptism By Fire.

This is the opening setup for the campaign game. This is the Combat Command A of the US 1st Armored Division, with an attached Infantry Regiment for support. They are in a horrendously vulnerable position around the city of Sidi bou Zid, Tunisia, and are about the get attacked by two German Panzer divisions.

This is the situation at the end of turn 1, aka February 14th. The Germans actually rolled terribly, but the CCA still got trounced.

Germans only succesfully rolled one out of four second activations, and they failed three out of four fatigue rolls. In the very first combat of the game, the irreplaceable German Tiger Company rolled up to fight the Shermans in Poste de Lessouda and died. CCA armored elements managed to flee largely intact. Good news for the Germans is that most of the attached infantry is dead. TF Waters is stuck and isolated on their hill and down to one step. TF Drake tried to retreat but was overran and defeated. 3/168 inf battalion managed to retreat to the CCA HQ, but they have already lost 4 out of their 6 steps.

Next turn/day, elements of Combat Command C will join the remnants of CCA and try to defend Sbeïtla for as long as possible. The Germans lose their elements of surprise and they get a negative command modifier for the next 4 days as the high command is trying to decide what is the best way to exploit this unexpected success. Depending on how the activation rolls go, the Germans will try to pursuit CCA, consolidate their forces near Sbeïtla and crush the US units there with overwhelming strength.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

Chill la Chill posted:

How many ASL counters have you clipped is the most important question.

All day e'ery day baby.

SlyFrog fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Apr 21, 2019

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Youre timg'ing an album link, not the photo.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Looks like 2.5mm, nice.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Youre timg'ing an album link, not the photo.

Got it. Thank you kind sir.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

SlyFrog posted:

Got it. Thank you kind sir.

Ok now apologize about Forgotten War :D

Reminds me of a post I made recently on an ASL forum (gamesquad) where I had to tell people to host their images on like... imgur because they were trying to upload it directly as an attachment, which couldnt handle the size, and didnt seem to understand linking images from said imgur.

This is why most AARs suck (Looking at you, grognard games on matrix forums!)

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

After clipping ASLSK1 and 3 with nail clippers, what in the gently caress is that thing and how much money can I waste on it

OH, by the way, I finished the first SK3 scenario (that is, mercifully, entirely infantry and machine guns)! I realized I hosed up something or forgot a modifier every single chance I got, and it took literally three days of just re-reading the rules over and over every time I did something, but I think I really like this poo poo. I'm going to go back to Retaking Vierville and start from the beginning, rework SWs into the picture with the rest of SK1, and then get my fuckin ordinance on.

USE should arrive this week, and with it I am solidly nailing myself into this barrel. Thanks for the LPs and advice and for merely existing, thread.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Apr 22, 2019

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Oregon Laminations clipping tool

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Squiggle posted:

After clipping ASLSK1 and 3 with nail clippers, what in the gently caress is that thing and how much money can I waste on it

OH, by the way, I finished the first SK3 scenario (that is, mercifully, entirely infantry and machine guns)! I realized I hosed up something or forgot a modifier every single chance I got, and it took literally three days of just re-reading the rules over and over every time I did something, but I think I really like this poo poo. I'm going to go back to Retaking Vierville and start from the beginning, rework SWs into the picture with the rest of SK1, and then get my fuckin ordinance on.

USE should arrive this week, and with it I am solidly nailing myself into this barrel. Thanks for the LPs and advice and for merely existing, thread.

Honestly, you'll gently caress up a lot of rules in ASL over time, just because the system is very complex, BUT, thankfully, the rules (on page 1 or so) clearly state that errors should be treated as honest mistake and to just play through. As long as you learn and incorporate it into next play sessions, its all chill.

Also, if you have any issues than never hesitate to ask. If I don't know the answer then I'd love to find out as well in case it might affect my own games!

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

Squiggle posted:

Congratulations and my condolences.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

I'm playing ASL Scenario #1 with my dad while I'm at my parents' for the Eastern. He's setting up his Russians under Concealment counters so I've left the room and decided to post about it while he does that. He has HIP, more squads than me, ammunition shortage, and is on the retreat. I've got Self-Rally, bullshit OP inauthentic German machine guns, and am on the pursuit, trying to exhaust or bypass him.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Guards Counterattack eh?

Ammo shortage is a bitch and don't forget about ELR

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Guards Counterattack eh?

Ammo shortage is a bitch and don't forget about ELR

The game ended at the beginning of Finnish turn 5 when I told my dad "there is literally no rules-legal way for me to move even a single counter off the board on your side, so you've won". I spent too much time opening a funnel through my dad's lines to funnel troops through, and not enough time actually funneling troops through. Loads of fun, though.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Moving units to do objectives is the toughest thing in ASL

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

ELR is the thing I most consistently forgot about - fortunately, at least half of the US units in "Joseph 351" are immune.

The rule I do not understand at all is the whole "apply DM if it's even possible, taking cowering into account, for a unit to be subjected to a NMC." Just...what in the gently caress? Isn't that literally any attack?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Squiggle posted:

ELR is the thing I most consistently forgot about - fortunately, at least half of the US units in "Joseph 351" are immune.

The rule I do not understand at all is the whole "apply DM if it's even possible, taking cowering into account, for a unit to be subjected to a NMC." Just...what in the gently caress? Isn't that literally any attack?

Say the target is in a stone building, and you're only shooting with 1fp. With a +3 for the stone building, there's literally no way you could roll two dice to get an NMC.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Squiggle posted:

Yes, except a 1FP attack, which can cower

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I think the thing that made it so confusing is that the way it's positioned in the SK3 rulebook, it looks like it applies only to Pin Check attacks which made no sense. I was like, why the gently caress are we talking about NMCs when the result is a PTC?

Let me see if I have this right, then:

- If it is a 1FP attack to begin with (which I...haven't seen the value in even taking, personally), the attack wouldn't apply DM because Cowering is always possible.
- Put another way, a broken unit getting shot at is most likely going to get DM applied to it 95% of the time?

COOL CORN posted:

Say the target is in a stone building, and you're only shooting with 1fp. With a +3 for the stone building, there's literally no way you could roll two dice to get an NMC.

With the "possibility of cowering," would that actually mean that this would be the case if shooting with 2fp too? As cowering would shift it into the 1fp column, where that NMC requires a 4, and the +3 for the stone building would make 5 the absolute minimum possible DR?

poo poo, maybe I don't got it.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Apr 22, 2019