Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Waffle Conspiracy posted:

yes, the HDTV part is the source not the current quality

Those monsters they should give me HDTV not 480p if they have an HDTV source. I do already have that season though so it doesn't really matter.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Apr 24, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

You also can’t get true 480p from an SD source, as that would be 480i. But yeah that line is definitely confusing when you start, and you’re lucky that the file set even says 480p as usually it won’t. No resolution listed = assume SD.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

You also can’t get true 480p from an SD source, as that would be 480i. But yeah that line is definitely confusing when you start, and you’re lucky that the file set even says 480p as usually it won’t. No resolution listed = assume SD.

When I started HDTV didn't exist. The thing is people (I) don't care if it's 480p or 480i they care about if x is higher quality than y.Size from my experience is the best metric, ignoring HDTV 480p 1080p blah blah blah. When I do manual searches I'm just looking at the title to be pretty sure it's the thing I want, while I'm organizing by size for quality. Sure size doesn't = quality but when real media was a thing I knew those 90mb files were going to be poo poo.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Apr 24, 2019

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Size is an ok metric. Plenty of garbage quality, big files out there. Efficient codecs will give you smaller file sizes at good quality so it’s just a case of working out what works best for you. Trial and error, but when you get your setup running without issue, Sonarr definitely makes that easier.

Personally? If I want to watch something live or near live, I’ll do so or DVR it. I have plenty of channels on my cable setup. Most of the time I can wait a day, and I have a decent amount of spare HDD so for most shows I’ll just add a required tag for AMAZON or AMZN and I know I’m getting good quality that beats out cable, is usually uncut and missing DOGs and other crap I don’t want.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

Size is an ok metric. Plenty of garbage quality, big files out there. Efficient codecs will give you smaller file sizes at good quality so it’s just a case of working out what works best for you. Trial and error, but when you get your setup running without issue, Sonarr definitely makes that easier.

Personally? If I want to watch something live or near live, I’ll do so or DVR it. I have plenty of channels on my cable setup. Most of the time I can wait a day, and I have a decent amount of spare HDD so for most shows I’ll just add a required tag for AMAZON or AMZN and I know I’m getting good quality that beats out cable, is usually uncut and missing DOGs and other crap I don’t want.

Oh boy codecs/file types I loved when anime groups picked something that vlc or mplayer didn't like. (I think it was mkv at the time, fussy fussy). The only time I'm doing manual searches is when Sonarr can't manage to find me something. Of course as it's fussy about what it'll actually accept it does come up.

I think Sonarr being bad stems from it having "good enough" file iding. If it was smarter at identifying it'd reject less and I'd have to interact with it less.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Apr 24, 2019

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I think I've got something like 200 shows in Sonarr and I have to manually search for something maybe a half dozen times per year.

I don't have anime or anything too esoteric though.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

Thermopyle posted:

I think I've got something like 200 shows in Sonarr and I have to manually search for something maybe a half dozen times per year.

I don't have anime or anything too esoteric though.

I'm using Sick, and having to manually search for the new episodes from the show about dragons every week.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

porktree posted:

I'm using Sick, and having to manually search for the new episodes from the show about dragons every week.

Don't have any problems with that.

Sonarr downloaded the last episode on Sunday night (the web ui doesn't say what time). It got the MEMENTO release.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

Thermopyle posted:

Don't have any problems with that.

Sonarr downloaded the last episode on Sunday night (the web ui doesn't say what time). It got the MEMENTO release.

It's weird, it never shows up in the 'coming episodes' - SB uses TVRage afaik. I'm not sweating it to much since this is the end of that show anyway.

edit: doh TVrage is dead. I guess I meant theTVdb, or more likey I have no idea what I'm talking about.

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

People still use Sickbeard? I thought that died years ago.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

frameset posted:

No program ever dies. Just development on it may stop.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

frameset posted:

Anyone one see any issues running Sick and Sonarr on the same server? New shows go into Sonarr, old shows slowly die off on Sick.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

porktree posted:

Anyone one see any issues running Sick and Sonarr on the same server? New shows go into Sonarr, old shows slowly die off on Sick.

Wouldn't it be easier and consume less resources to simply import all shows into Sonarr? Or even just the ones you want from Sick?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Volguus posted:

No program ever dies. Just development on it may stop.

I'd consider a program to be dead if dev stopped AND crucial API's have stopped working. Not saying that's the case for sickbeard.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

porktree posted:

Wasted API calls.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

Heners_UK posted:

Wouldn't it be easier and consume less resources to simply import all shows into Sonarr? Or even just the ones you want from Sick?

TenementFunster posted:

lol holy poo poo sonarr deleted all my poo poo ~again~, even after I changed the download folders in SABnzbd

I guess I don't trust Sonarr with existing series.

Decairn
Dec 1, 2007

My experience of migrating from Sick to Sonarr is initial move was rocky, mostly due to my lack of knowledge of Sonarr file naming, profile and quality settings. When that was understood new shows were a breeze to do. Existing shows I also didn't trust, so to start I *copied* over a series or two to test out the import process and make sure profiles were all good (avoid having it re-download everything...), have the base directory of Sonarr and Sick shows be different to totally avoid them bumping into each other. Then I moved about ~2000 episodes in one go, imported, renamed, set profiles, and for some set monitor status to false. Then Sick just got deleted.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
I finally moved away from SickBeard last November, as it stopped being able to pick up shows automatically.
But instead of going the Sonarr way, mainly because of all the issues people have reported in this thread, I went with one of the forks of SB; SickChill.
It seems like SickChill started as a fork of SickRage (a fork of SickBeard), as SR devolved into normal internet open source project drama.

While the UI is mostly the same, which I honestly don't care about as long as it's functional, there are a lot of quality of life improvements, that SB simply didn't have.
But had I known that I couldn't directly migrate settings from SB to SC, I probably would have given Sonarr a look anyway.

For the anime folks, it also has a special configuration setting for those shows. Haven't tried it though.
It's pretty drat good at handling propers/redownloads, at least way better than SB, and I also haven't had any issues with SC suddenly deciding to refresh old shows.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

porktree posted:

I guess I don't trust Sonarr with existing series.

There's nothing wrong with Sonarr where you should trust it less than Sickbeard.

It's not that Sonarr has some bugs that go around deleting files. It's that 1) people don't have a clear picture in their head how these types of programs work, 2) people don't have a clear picture in their head about how usenet downloading works, and 3) people are used to how SB works and expect Sonarr to be the same.

In other words, it's not that you shouldn't trust Sonarr. It does exactly what it says on the tin. It's that you should RTFM.

(of course all software has bugs, so I'm not saying Sonarr is the first 100% perfect program. It's that it's not necessarily worse than SB on this front)

Just do like Decairn mentions and do a bit of a trial run before importing your series wholesale.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Also Sonarr and Radarr have recycling bins and you should definitely enable them. Mainly because some releases suck, but look better on paper than what you have. The only time it’s a bit of a pain is when you have libraries spanning multiple drives because the bin lives in a specific location.

On my MacOS finder view I always have it set so I can see if any new files have ended up in there so I can manually purge them. I don’t have to do much work with Sonarr because it’s very rare I get multiple releases of the same thing (my default for most shows is amazon 1080p as both required and cutoff, if I want something better in the future I do it on a per show basis). So if a show ends up in the bin, I just do a 5 second check to see why.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Thermopyle posted:

There's nothing wrong with Sonarr where you should trust it less than Sickbeard.

It's not that Sonarr has some bugs that go around deleting files. It's that 1) people don't have a clear picture in their head how these types of programs work, 2) people don't have a clear picture in their head about how usenet downloading works, and 3) people are used to how SB works and expect Sonarr to be the same.

In other words, it's not that you shouldn't trust Sonarr. It does exactly what it says on the tin. It's that you should RTFM.

(of course all software has bugs, so I'm not saying Sonarr is the first 100% perfect program. It's that it's not necessarily worse than SB on this front)

Just do like Decairn mentions and do a bit of a trial run before importing your series wholesale.

Blaming the users when it seems to me that most users encounter problems is bullshit.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Duck and Cover posted:

Blaming the users when it seems to me that most users encounter problems is bullshit.

Why do you think most users encounter problems?

And, if you'll read carefully, I'm not exactly blaming users.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Thermopyle posted:

Why do you think most users encounter problems?

And, if you'll read carefully, I'm not exactly blaming users.

Based on the ratio of people people who posted problems compared to those who claim no problems weighted by the fact people on this forum generally are well above average tech users while taking in to account that people who like things don't post as much as people who don't. It isn't scientific or anything just based on my experience I certainly (probably) could be wrong as to if it's a majority. Could be far off from a majority and still be terrible though.

Uh what? You certainly are blaming users at least in regards to file deletion. It's an issue if people lose their poo poo because of how a program works. Sure a developer can only do so much to prevent it's users from loving up, but efforts should be made.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Apr 26, 2019

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
Yeah, I was never able to figure out how those programs work, what do they actually want and expect from me. They sometimes work. Sometimes they dont and I manually move and rename stuff (they should do it automatically). The developer's idea of how poo poo should work is apparently very different from my expectations. Until I'll write my own (haha, no thanks) i'll just have to make do with their solution.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Oh look at that apparently Sonarr doesn't follow through folders in a manual import search. Neat Sonarr it wasn't very deep like there was a folder with the folder you wanted and nfo,nzb,sfv.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Duck and Cover posted:

Based on the ratio of people people who posted problems compared to those who aren't weighted by the fact people on this forum generally are well above average tech users while taking in to account that people who like things don't post as much as people who don't. It isn't scientific or anything just based on my experience I certainly (probably) could be wrong as to if it's a majority. Could be far off from a majority and still be terrible though.

So basically you're just making it up when you say "most users" are having problems.

Duck and Cover posted:

Uh what? You certainly are blaming users at least in regards to file deletion. It's an issue if people lose their poo poo because of how a program works. Sure a developer can only do so much to prevent it's users from loving up, but efforts should be made.

Look, there's this common refrain, particularly in the nerdy OSS community, of blaming the users that is terrible gatekeeping bullshit.

That is not what I'm doing here.

I'm not saying that Sonarr could or could not be better at this. I'm saying that people having some sort of issue with Sonarr deleting files are likely not having issues because Sonarr is flaky and can't handle organizing files but because they do not understand how to configure it. This is just a fact.

Sonarr doesn't just say it is going to do one thing and then just do another (barring bugs which, as is my whole point here do not seem to be any worse than you'd get with SB).

Whether people should be expected to understand that Sonarr is not Sickbeard or to understand the usenet ecosystem or understand file permissions or understand the paradigm behind Sonarr's operation is a different issue upon which I'm not really making any comment.

You're confusing my description of the way things are with a description of the way things ought to be (in your opinion that I may or may not share but is immaterial here).

Duck and Cover posted:

but efforts should be made.

While this is not part of my point, I wanted to ask...

To be clear, you're saying Sonarr doesn't make any efforts? How much effort should be made? Should a volunteer-driven project like Sonarr not release anything until they have a UI that is perfect? How perfect should it be?

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Thermopyle posted:

So basically you're just making it up when you say "most users" are having problems.

Look, there's this common refrain, particularly in the nerdy OSS community, of blaming the users that is terrible gatekeeping bullshit.

That is not what I'm doing here.

I'm not saying that Sonarr could or could not be better at this. I'm saying that people having some sort of issue with Sonarr deleting files are likely not having issues because Sonarr is flaky and can't handle organizing files but because they do not understand how to configure it. This is just a fact.

Sonarr doesn't just say it is going to do one thing and then just do another (barring bugs which, as is my whole point here do not seem to be any worse than you'd get with SB).

Whether people should be expected to understand that Sonarr is not Sickbeard or to understand the usenet ecosystem or understand file permissions or understand the paradigm behind Sonarr's operation is a different issue upon which I'm not really making any comment.

You're confusing my description of the way things are with a description of the way things ought to be (in your opinion that I may or may not share but is immaterial here).

While this is not part of my point, I wanted to ask...

To be clear, you're saying Sonarr doesn't make any efforts? How much effort should be made? Should a volunteer-driven project like Sonarr not release anything until they have a UI that is perfect? How perfect should it be?

I answered your question fully knowing you weren't going to be satisfied by anything short of cold hard numbers which you knew I very well wouldn't have. Reminds me of when people asked me to prove Mnnoba was a racist after accusing him as such. What they were asking wasn't for me to explain that sharing views consistently with racists makes him very likely a racist too what they wanted was a quote of him saying a slur which they knew I wouldn't be able to provide because he'd be already gone had he done that.

Well we could argue percentages that's fun. Well 51% isn't good. is 40% failure alright with you? What if every 4th person can't figure out the door? Is 1 in 9 okay? Sure maybe I should have said "Well the failure (be it user or program) rate of this program seems higher then average for software" but I didn't.

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008
When I switched from sickbeard to sonarr I had less issues. Sonarr has been mostly bullet proof except for thetvdb issues which isn't really its fault.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Duck and Cover posted:

Well we could argue percentages that's fun. Well 51% isn't good. is 40% failure alright with you? What if every 4th person can't figure out the door? Is 1 in 9 okay? Sure maybe I should have said "Well the failure (be it user or program) rate of this program seems higher then average for software" but I didn't.

Sonarr has many thousands of users. If a significant percentage of them were having it delete their files it'd be pretty obvious and people would generally stop using it. As with everything, people who are just using a thing and it's working fine for them tend not to talk about it.

As far as I've seen in this thread at least one of the most common causes of problems is people who have their downloader pointing directly to their Movies/TV folder alongside the sorted content. Improper use of the "Drone Folder" option because of habits from Sickbeard is up there too. Those aren't Sonarr bugs causing people to lose files, they're user error.

That said, Sonarr could and probably should test for these situations and at least warn the user, preferably refusing to let them do something potentially stupid without flipping an "I know I might delete my poo poo" switch in one of the advanced settings panel.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I’ll have you know that Sonarr is only 35% racist.

(Sorry, I have no idea who or what mnoba is and it seemed a very strange thing to reference in this thread).

Sorry you’re having such issues with the software, it’s very much an anomaly that you seem to hit a roadblock at every corner and I know I’ve been there with stuff that nobody else seems to in other ventures.

I don’t consider myself a particularly high level computer user these days, but I can get Sonarr up and running with either a new library or an existing one, quickly with zero major issues. Certainly not to the stage where it’s deleting things or can’t manually import correctly. That stuff is generally incredibly straightforward, but something is evidently wrong on your side. It’s hard for people here to diagnose without having access though.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

Thermopyle posted:

Ya, that's my intent, and why I was asking if there would be any issues running both on the same server. I can add a couple of new shows to Sonarr, import a couple of existing shows (deleting them from Sick) and wade in.

SB puts new dl's into a holding directory, that Sick imports, renames and moves to a final destination. I'm assuming Sonarr works basically the same way, and that standard naming conventions apply (season xx\Showname.SxxExx.Episodename.ext).

Once I'm comfortable with Sonar, then moving the ongoing series into Sonarr.

Sound like a plan to you? Thanks.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Duck and Cover posted:

I answered your question fully knowing you weren't going to be satisfied by anything short of cold hard numbers which you knew I very well wouldn't have. Reminds me of when people asked me to prove Mnnoba was a racist after accusing him as such. What they were asking wasn't for me to explain that sharing views consistently with racists makes him very likely a racist too what they wanted was a quote of him saying a slur which they knew I wouldn't be able to provide because he'd be already gone had he done that.

No, my issue was that you said something that was completely impossible for you to know.

You said "most people". That was a ridiculous thing to say and you know it. You're just beating around the bush so you don't have to say "yeah that was a stupid thing to say I don't really have any way to know how common the problems I'm having are".

If you would've said "a lot of people" that would've at least been defensible.

Of course I wouldn't expect cold hard numbers. That's just as ridiculous as saying "most people". I mean, how the hell would you have any sort of reliable statistics?

Your story about this Mnnoba character that I've never heard of is incongruous and not at all similar.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Duck and Cover posted:

If we can be honest though 98% of the Sonarr "issues" posted ITT are caused by user error.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Adding to the ratio... I've had no problem with Sonarr compare to my experiences with Sickbeard. It was enough of positive experience that I ditched Couch potato for Radarr.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Yeah I set up Sonarr about a month ago and it handled my existing library without issue and seems to be working perfectly with all the new shows I've set up. Had a few hassles with episode naming on some older shows, but that was all tmdb being lovely as far as I could tell.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
Man, while I feel for the confusion and frustration than can come to those who are trying to make this ecosystem function without understanding how it all works (perhaps an ageist thing--if indexers are your first encounter with usenet, you're at a comprehensiona disadvantage, but those who've played with Agent et all 20 years ago, the front-ends just make sense), yours is an odd stance.

Wanting poo poo to work without knowledge, appreciation, and respect for the fundamental processes plagues many car owners as well as those in physical therapy.

Accepting that broken output is what the devs have in mind for the current state of these tools is.. well, kind of weird (or at least really myopic). I do not expect that those who designed my washing machine intended for it to work janky and half-assed. "This must be how it is" and/or "This must be how it is for (odd-choice-of-quantification-here)" sounds like some sour grapes to me.

True, these are not retail products, so comparing them to cars or washers is not apt. But if my point isn't clear... well, I guess that's just how it is, huh?

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

The Modern Leper posted:

Adding to the ratio... I've had no problem with Sonarr compare to my experiences with Sickbeard. It was enough of positive experience that I ditched Couch potato for Radarr.

This reflects my experience too.

The Diddler
Jun 22, 2006

I'm also here to hit the "everything is ok" alarm. At least 2 of my friends have also had no issues.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Is there any way to get Radarr to automatically pull movies based on certain rottentomatoes criteria? There's the option of getting highly rated, popular movies via the StevenLu option but I'd be interested in something a bit more customizable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Diddler
Jun 22, 2006

Incessant Excess posted:

Is there any way to get Radarr to automatically pull movies based on certain rottentomatoes criteria? There's the option of getting highly rated, popular movies via the StevenLu option but I'd be interested in something a bit more customizable.

Not rottentomatoes, but there are options: https://github.com/Radarr/Radarr/wiki/Supported-NetImports