Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Regy Rusty posted:

Boy that seems pretty lovely huh

It gets better, the "physical PC release on DVD" is now going to be an empty box with an EGS key.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

ookiimarukochan posted:

It gets better, the "physical PC release on DVD" is now going to be an empty box with an EGS key.

How is this any different than the last decade of pc releases other than where the key goes to?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Well, they said "physical release on DVD", which those other things didn't.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Memento posted:

Well, they said "physical release on DVD", which those other things didn't.

Nah you have stuff like Phantom Pain which was just a Steam client installer on a DVD4 and a code to go with it.

Though out here in Aus we often get a cached install that just needs a GB or so of updates, which is kinda nice for our bad internet at least.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Shenmue makin a big bet that they can get away with angering psycho obsessive gamers when that’s their primary market demo

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

DatonKallandor posted:

Also can I just say that a PC Games show hosted by Epic is like a gay pride parade hosted by Kevin Spacey?

Also can I just say Goons_TXT you do a fine job with your twitter account

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Hat Thoughts posted:

Shenmue makin a big bet that they can get away with angering psycho obsessive gamers when that’s their primary market demo

tbf the game series they care about was orignally a dreamcast exclusive, i can see why they thought they can get away with it

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Kurtofan posted:

tbf the game series they care about was orignally a dreamcast exclusive, i can see why they thought they can get away with it

It also was on the OG Xbox.

Its a weird series

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Kurtofan posted:

i feel bad for finding this funny, but hey kickstarter

I’m sure glad we broke the back of big publishing and really freed the games.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Hav posted:

I’m sure glad we broke the back of big publishing and really freed the games.

if only people had bought more ouyas...

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Kurtofan posted:

Yeah I mean it’s just so silly considering Shenmue 3 is not modern warfare 2 where it’s got the cultural capital to steamroll over the vocal minority - it exists because of & for that vocal minority.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Uh, the minority that picked up a dreamcast isn't the minority that thinks of downloading the Epic launcher as an insurmountable obstacle.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Fangz posted:

Uh, the minority that picked up a dreamcast isn't the minority that thinks of downloading the Epic launcher as an insurmountable obstacle.

I’m saying the people who care about Shenmue 3 enough to fund a kickstarter however many years later are psycho gamers who have closely followed gaming news for a long time.
If u think it’s casual Dreamcast owners funding it...well...u can think that, power to ya I guess

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Terminally Bored posted:

It gets better:

I'm pretty sure the people with enough money are already firing up the lawyers over this. Phoenix Point tried the same bullshit and it lasted for a couple hours before they quickly rewrote their statements.
Contrary to goon opinion, Kickstarters are not "donations" to the developer.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
Doesn't even have to be the wealthy backers, this poo poo won't fly in the EU.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Terminally Bored posted:

Doesn't even have to be the wealthy backers, this poo poo won't fly in the EU.

Deep Silver is German, which makes you wonder twice...

like an Anime fan on prom night.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Barudak posted:

It also was on the OG Xbox.

Its a weird series

OG Xbox was basically Dreamcast 2 for Sega and a bunch of other devs.

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

Kurtofan posted:

Shenmue fans in North America should be used to being hosed over. The second game was announced to be the final Dreamcast release in North America, then it was cancelled and only the XBox version was released here.

Deadguy2322 fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jun 11, 2019

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
It's all just a callback for the fans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLHhl1khTEc&t=280s

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Hel posted:

How is this any different than the last decade of pc releases other than where the key goes to?

Every Kickstarted game I've backed with a "physical release of the game" has given you a (set of ) DVD(s) that contain the game, DRM free. That appears to be what Shenmue III promised and now is no longer delivering.

The best part is that Limited Run Games are putting out a deluxe PC physical edition with no mention of EGS, looks like the disc contains the game and that's it.

ookiimarukochan fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jun 11, 2019

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

gently caress me, I laughed

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

ookiimarukochan posted:

Before it was just kind of disappointing. This is straight up bullshit.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Hey, thread. I've mostly given up on backing videogame Kickstarters, but there were two recently I couldn't resist: SkateBIRD and Small Saga. Guess it's "be something tiny" month.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

At this point even backing a mid-sized indie title seems like fool's gamble unless the developer signs a legally binding contract swearing not to go Epic Store exclusive before release

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Or you are okay with getting the game through the Epic Store.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Even if you are okay with Epic's attempts to buy up a monopoly for their shoddy store changing the deal on your backers after you've taken their money is an intensely trashy move

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

multijoe posted:

Even if you are okay with Epic's attempts to buy up a monopoly for their shoddy store changing the deal on your backers after you've taken their money is an intensely trashy move

I don't think they changed anything, considering the Kickstarter campaign just talked about a "PC digital copy", not the Steam store in particular. Apparently the Steam store was just mentioned as an option in a survey months after the fact.

And gamers being the scum they are, the customer service reps are now getting death threats because Shenmue is going on a different store than the one they like.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

multijoe posted:

This has nothing to do with whether backing a midsized indie game is a fool's gamble going forwards, if you are okay with getting the game through Epic.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Der Shovel posted:

I don't think they changed anything, considering the Kickstarter campaign just talked about a "PC digital copy", not the Steam store in particular. Apparently the Steam store was just mentioned as an option in a survey months after the fact.
No, they promised Steam keys to us backers for a good long time, it was a scummy move.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

This has nothing to do with whether backing a midsized indie game is a fool's gamble going forwards, if you are okay with getting the game through Epic.

Yes we get it, you're a spineless chump okay with being lied to and having your order changed after the fact. Do you want a star or something?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

multijoe posted:

Yes we get it, you're a spineless chump okay with being lied to and having your order changed after the fact. Do you want a star or something?

Is that how you get a star in the Games forum?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

If it's any consolation, word from E3 is that Shenmue looks like utter trash.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

multijoe posted:

Please. And a cookie.

We are aware that Epic is buying out the rights to games now. You have two options moving forwards: don't back games where this might happen, or realize it might happen be okay with it if it does.

But I guess you were really just derailing a different discussion by whining again about it happening in the first place.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
It is fun watching brains short out because capitalism is working exactly as intended.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Man the poo poo gamers will rationalize away is wild

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Kickstarter has always been a risk - games get abandoned, unfinished, turn into scams, whatever - but now there's the additional risk of being lied to about which storefront it'll come out on. Great. Good to know. I'll be careful about what I back in the future.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

CharlestheHammer posted:

Man the poo poo gamers will rationalize away is wild

"We know this is bad and doesn't really have an excuse but have you considered not being a whiner??????"

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Der Shovel posted:

And gamers being the scum they are, the customer service reps are now getting death threats because Shenmue is going on a different store than the one they like.

How's that boot taste?

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
booooohooo epic stoooore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
The characteristic of crowdfunding is campaigns full of high expectations funded at levels not nearly enough to actually make the game. In pretty much all these cases that I am aware of, these exclusivity payments are about Epic coming in to save a dying project and get it to completion. Epic is effectively acting as a publisher for projects that otherwise would be cancelled, or would drag on for years with a skeleton crew working for free.

It's seriously not the big deal it's been made out to be, and this histrionic language is dumb.