Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr.Flibble
Jul 23, 2008
What was the last big tournament for Street Fighter 4 before Street Fighter 5 came out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Mr.Flibble posted:

What was the last big tournament for Street Fighter 4 before Street Fighter 5 came out?

Capcom Cup 2015, most likely.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

yeah bc sfv came out the following february iirc

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~
watching sf4 is weird because it seems like a lot of commentary either didnt know about or was ignoring unblockables when they happen. and drat outside of watching elena work, sf4 is way more entertaining than sfv

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I don't want to talk positively about the piece of poo poo but that last sf4 Top 8 at evo was supremely fun

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.

Zand posted:

watching sf4 is weird because it seems like a lot of commentary either didnt know about or was ignoring unblockables when they happen. and drat outside of watching elena work, sf4 is way more entertaining than sfv

If you're watching late SF4 they are definitely neglecting to mention the unblockables rather than not knowing, though there's also the fact you can't really know if something is an unblockable unless you know the setup and know whether it works on whichever character it just happened to.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

in 6 years we're gonna be saying 'drat watching this last top8 of sfv is way more fun than sf6'

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I remember people pointing out a lot of Cammy and Akuma unblockable BS around late AE 2012. People just kinda pretended Ultra solved everything with delayed wakeup tho.

Also Louffy's EVO run was hilarious because people were astounded by the powerful "dash cl.MK/throw" mixup like the girl hadn't been doing that since vanilla.

SF4 wasn't great but it was my game.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Endorph posted:

in 6 years we're gonna be saying 'drat watching this last top8 of sfv is way more fun than sf6'

That would require for me to have watched a minute of sfv in the last 3 years

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

In Training posted:

That would require for me to have watched a minute of sfv in the last 3 years

I watched punks run and loss and thats it

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

SF4 had all sorts of problems but it was a hoot to watch, Smug's Dudley was my favorite.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Endorph posted:

whos watching sfv

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
I just watched a match of sfv with fuudo playing birdie, and i got upset at how dumb it was

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Itw46dzJ77Q

DOA 6 is getting Mai Shiranui and Kula Diamond next week.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
So this is a weird one, but I've been playing Yakuza 0. I haven't played Virtua Fighter since I was like 14 (a long rear end time ago), but I know they've got some recycled animations in here for characters. I've definitely run into characters who've fought like Shun Di and Akira, and I'm pretty sure I've seen others but haven't been able to put my finger on em. Who else am I missing? Google isn't getting me anywhere.

Reznor
Jan 15, 2006

Hot dinosnail action.
I am on Sumer vacation and won't have class for a while.

What fighting games are all the cool kids playing now?
Is sfv dead yet?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Wait a couple weeks and play the new Samsho

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Borderlawns: The Treehouse of Pandora

Reznor posted:

I am on Sumer vacation and won't have class for a while.

What fighting games are all the cool kids playing now?
Is sfv dead yet?

play tekken

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.
guilty gear

brainSnakes
Jul 11, 2011

come back here

Speaking as someone who is currently playing a ton of mk11 to get some sweet nostalgia going for the days when I was exclusively a 2d fighter addict in the good old 90’s era of arcades-

Tekken 7 is the best modern fighting game I’ve played by such a large margin it’s not even fair to the rest of them.

brainSnakes fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Jun 12, 2019

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

Lynx Winters posted:

p l a y t e k k e n

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/KOFG_info/status/1138785627342721024

:thunkher:

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
play UNIST

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

:emptyquote:

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

localize this SNK you cowards

probably could have picked a better title though!

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Blockhouse posted:

Striking Vipers (For Girls)

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

rival schools pls

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

There’s a lot of great options atm. Tekken 7 MK11 guilty gear and unist are all phenomenal.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

brainSnakes posted:

Tekken 7 is the best modern fighting game I’ve played by such a large margin it’s not even fair to the rest of them.

Why? Not disagreeing by any means I’m just curious why you feel that way.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Kilometers Davis posted:

Why? Not disagreeing by any means I’m just curious why you feel that way.

It feels great to play and has good ux options like infinite rematch and free custom costumes and also it owns

brainSnakes
Jul 11, 2011

come back here
I spent all of 2017 trying to learn Tekken and i'm still a scrub at it, so I'll try my best to describe what owns about the game, but you'd probably need a player who's been playing it longer to really do it justice.

1: The movement is godlike. From the outside before you really start playing T7, it can be weird to watch the pros twitching around like seizure warriors. But the longer you play the more you realize how insane the freedom of movement is in the game. You don't need to KBD like a pro, all it takes is making a good read, sidestepping something you predict is incoming, and blowing up your opponent with a punish to make you feel amazing.

2: In a world where everyone has nearly a hundred loving moves, everyone can pull some gimmicky nonsense out of their asses. In a world where everyone can bullshit you, no one feels particularly cheap or unfair. I've seen complaints about Eddie and da bears, but all it takes is a little knowledge to completely negate that edge they have, and suddenly they are the ones who have to work harder for their wins. I put some time into trying to learn Kuma, and being vaguely familiar with how he can go into hunting stance and what to prepare for, suddenly he's just another fighter. And again, every single loving character in the game can pull that kind of stunt. The one that really blew me up the most when I first started playing was Alisa. The game is so much grounded hand to hand combat, that when she started shooting rockets at me I'd freeze up deer in headlights style and get exploded. But I got used to it and now it doesn't feel unfair. This game has an ocean of depth and characters will continue to surprise you for all eternity. It always feels like i'm learning something new, and slowly, constantly improving because of it.

3: Best online experience of any fighter I've played since returning to the genre. Some folks in here got mad at me when I pooped on Arcsys' online systems. Honestly I'd poop on Mk11's online systems too. I think the real problem is Tekken 7 has just set my expectations too high. When you're coming up against some guys beautiful angel goddess Akuma with halo and little wings, ranked feels like casual. Cool nerds just having fun playing silly fight game. Real hurthling hit the reason why I consider Tekken 7 unapproachable by the other fighters. Infinite rematch is the best feature I've ever loving seen in my life. In Tekken 7, I'll jump online and have fights within a couple minutes, tops. If I spend a few hours playing, I am 100% guaranteed to get a few players who will deathmatch me. Sometimes these strangers will then text me on steam to tell me they had fun, regardless of who was winning. Contrast that to any other fighting game where ranked is probably a best of 3 so it's over before you can even start to learn and adapt to your foe. In any other fighter you have to jump onto discord, waste a half hour tracking down nerds to try and play with, and then they are much more prone to getting huffy and quitting out of it when either of you starts dominating. The Casual deathmatches of Tekken 7 make it a peerless online experience.

HerniaFlange
Aug 4, 2013

You when you read my posts:
Play the real deal OG.

brainSnakes
Jul 11, 2011

come back here

Failtron posted:

Play the real deal OG.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SDs0XNBUXY

bofa salesman
Nov 6, 2009

Did they ever make tekken stop taking 2 years to load?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

lil baby anime posted:

Pc isnt overly long

bofa salesman
Nov 6, 2009

I was about to edit and say pc if that mattered. Haven’t played in a while

Barudak
May 7, 2007

lil baby anime posted:

Me, from the future with a PS5: Yes

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

lil baby anime posted:

I was about to edit and say pc if that mattered. Haven’t played in a while

On a SSD I feel like it's gone down but that might be a placebo.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Blockhouse posted:

https://twitter.com/dramata1/status/1138845283926888450
https://twitter.com/dramata1/status/1138980072529022976
https://twitter.com/dramata1/status/1138983430891483137

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
can't believe they let you date iori and not yamazaki

if you're gonna let people go psycho let them go full psycho