Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I want it to be a running joke that whenever Spider-Man's in poo poo he can't do anything about he just asks Mephisto to help him out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Gologle posted:

I want it to be a running joke that whenever Spider-Man's in poo poo he can't do anything about he just asks Mephisto to help him out.

I could see this happening in Marvel Adventures.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mephistio, take the web!

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

GrandpaPants posted:

It looks like Mary Jane is back in Peter's life so that's at least a decent bargaining chip with Mephisto.

"In order to save your aunt, this time I want...your friendship with benefits. Well, not -quite- benefits, just a chemistry, you know? Not gonna say your friendzone, that's dumb, but the will-they-or-won't-they vibe. That is what Mephisto desires!"

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Sell me your soul and become the new spider-rider

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Gologle posted:

They've basically been slowly building towards something big with Mephisto over the last year or two, not just in Spider-Man books but also over in the Avengers with the new version of the Squadron Supreme that Agent Coulson is in charge of as well(probably in other books as well but I've only been reading bits and pieces of current Marvel)

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
Mephisto just wants to feel included.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

Push El Burrito posted:

I would read multiple issues of Aunt May in Valhalla.

Meadcakes!

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Lurdiak posted:

One of the many reasons the Sam Raimi spider-man movies got Jonah perfectly is this scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAfxBXAQCZM

Jonah was in the middle of giving Peter poo poo, and is clearly terrified, but doesn't give him up to Goblin, even though Peter is right there.

Although I will say, Robbie wasn't working at the Bugle yet when Peter started working freelance, therefore this is clearly not canon and furthermore :goonsay:

as terribly as those movies have aged (yes even 2, deal with it), this is forever JJJ for me. What I wouldn't give for a newspaper Spider-Man movie with Simmons as Iron Jonah.

Anyway re: Aunt May, I just want these three words: venomized grey panthers

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Tin Can Hit Man posted:

Mephisto just wants to feel included.

He's desperate to become relevant again, in a non-ridiculous manner, so he can get a movie deal.

"Look, Peter, they're not going to get Son-of-Satan past the execs, and the Strange sequel - if there is one - will probably go with the green eyeball guy people only know from the fighting games. I need this, man."

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Saotome Senshu, Hitakakusu

Yae Saotome is a high school girl and boxer, who is "one of Japan's best hopes for a medal in female boxing at the 2020 olympics". As such, she's always under a lot of scrutiny, and absolutely cannot, no matter what, never, don't even think of it have a boyfriend. (Japan has some... Backwards ideas regarding relationships.)

But she does have a boyfriend. Satoru, who is in the same boxing club as her in high school.

They manage to keep things secret for a while, but disaster strikes when they're photographed while they're kissing on their high school trip. Satoru's face doesn't show up in the photo, so no one knows who "the boyfriend" is, but it still causes a huge scandal. As the news breaks, Yae goes and hides somewhere, and Satoru runs around trying to find her; in these pages he goes looking for her at their boxing club, and runs into a couple senior members.

(Read right to left.)

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Avengers 34: Captain America is at the end of time being told (by 3 different versions of Kang the Conqueror) that if he wants to save the world he has to let Tony Stark and the Illuminati carry out their plans and blow up alternate earths.

I love that last zinger so much

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Lord I hate that whole Incursion storyline it's just amazingly lovely

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

TwoPair posted:

Avengers 34: Captain America is at the end of time being told (by 3 different versions of Kang the Conqueror) that if he wants to save the world he has to let Tony Stark and the Illuminati carry out their plans and blow up alternate earths.

I love that last zinger so much

This kind of encapsulates why I don't really like Cap. For as much of a compassionate dude as he is, even at his supposed best, the dude really is just "I have the power to do what I want and gently caress the consequences or bigger picture" kind of power fantasy. This is some rugged individualism kind of bullshit that only gets a pass because it's Captain America and we know the story will turn out that he was in the right, because he's Captain America.

Like, obviously superhero comics are not exactly the place to go if you're not fond of great man theory, but god drat if it's not the entirety of Steve Rogers whole rear end.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

drrockso20 posted:

(Me neither tbh but there were some good parts mixed in there)

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

drrockso20 posted:

Incursion made me realize I was done with Big Two comics. I haven't looked back.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009

Cabbit posted:

This kind of encapsulates why I don't really like Cap. For as much of a compassionate dude as he is, even at his supposed best, the dude really is just "I have the power to do what I want and gently caress the consequences or bigger picture" kind of power fantasy. This is some rugged individualism kind of bullshit that only gets a pass because it's Captain America and we know the story will turn out that he was in the right, because he's Captain America.

Like, obviously superhero comics are not exactly the place to go if you're not fond of great man theory, but god drat if it's not the entirety of Steve Rogers whole rear end.

As opposed to the people saying that they're so smart they know there's no way beyond murdering whole planets.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Cassa posted:

As opposed to the people saying that they're so smart they know there's no way beyond murdering whole planets.

Those people are also assholes. I'm talking about Captain America.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

drrockso20 posted:

I'm completely convinced Hickman's run on Avengers is the reason Marvel's sales are currently in the toilet.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
I mean the industry is, quite legitimately, dying. Nobody is really going to speed that up or slow it down too much.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Uncle Ben gonna Uncle Ben.

https://twitter.com/PeteSpideyTalk/status/1139557973561184256

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

The trade.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Cabbit posted:

He is also really really pissed due to the people who he considered his friends wiped his mind.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

I'm completely convinced Hickman's run on Avengers is the reason Marvel's sales are currently in the toilet.

Personally I put the blame on Morrison's run on X-Men, as I feel it's success paved the way for all the really bad edgy stuff both DC and Marvel have been doing for the past 15 years or so

Immortal Hulk has been one of the only good "mature" comics Marvel has done in a long time, and a lot of that has to do with Al Ewing being one of the only good writers at Marvel these days(a lot of that has to do with him being one of the only people at either company who actually bothers doing research on what he's writing and thus has a good grasp on the characters)

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Marvel just clearly doesn't give a gently caress about healthy industry practices. I was a Marvel fan growing up, but running a comic shop I dread having to do preorders for their next batch of bullshit each month.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I wasn't a big fan of the incursions but I liked Secret Wars and I enjoyed a lot of Hickman's other stuff. That's my comic book post.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

drrockso20 posted:

Personally I put the blame on Morrison's run on X-Men, as I feel it's success paved the way for all the really bad edgy stuff both DC and Marvel have been doing for the past 15 years or so

I liked Morrison's run since it felt like it had good ideas on how to steer the X-Men. Mutants were a growing population and developing their own culture, Jean fully embraced her powers and role as the new leader of the X-Men, Xavier being outed as a Mutant and having to deal with the fallout, Mutations either not being super useful or making you look hosed up, Scott and Emma's chemistry and them getting together.

It just sucks some of that got walked back by the following runs. :sigh:

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

amigolupus posted:

I liked Morrison's run since it felt like it had good ideas on how to steer the X-Men. Mutants were a growing population and developing their own culture, Jean fully embraced her powers and role as the new leader of the X-Men, Xavier being outed as a Mutant and having to deal with the fallout, Mutations either not being super useful or making you look hosed up, Scott and Emma's chemistry and them getting together.

It just sucks some of that got walked back by the following runs. :sigh:

some of it?

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Lurdiak posted:

I am too, but I suspect for different reasons than you.

I see Hickmans run as a modern day high point and Secret Wars was such a good ending, that it allowed me to walk away from Marvel for a bit.

I've come back in the last few months but mostly using Marvel Unlimited to read Hulk and a few other books. Hickman coming onto X-Men is going to bring me back to month on month purchasing for his stuff.

As for those panels, I think they are fantastic because Cap is right in pushing back against the "I am a smart man. And I say that we need to kill millions to save billions. Hard man making hard choices."

As he points out, Cap has been around since World War 2. He's no stranger to the idea that problems are complex and choices have to be made.
But he also knows that people will often say "it's down to these two choices. That's it!" And be wrong.
His overall point is that you cant forget morals (as the Kangs are doing) when deciding what to do. Frankly this world can do with more people saying "what about individuals" instead of pushing ahead with plans that hurt the least.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

bobkatt013 posted:

He is also really really pissed due to the people who he considered his friends wiped his mind.

This doesn't look like Identity Crisis.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Hickman's run is fantastic, what are you guys smoking.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Lurdiak posted:

That there is a take

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cabbit posted:

I don't really agree with that. It's a power fantasy but the power fantasy is being able to stand up for your beliefs even in the face of people arguing they are implausible/unrealistic/childish. Yes, this can be twisted into horrible beliefs, but that compassion is at the center of why it works. It isn't 'great man' theory, it's the idea that you don't have to bend or compromise on what is right in favor of what is easy.

Saying that people should bend and compromise on atrocities because they are 'necessary' ignores that very often they're not. They're just easier. This is true in reality as well as in superhero fiction and trying to disguise doing something abhorrent under 'it's the only option' is a way more loving damaging viewpoint to espouse because it's one people regularly and frequently use to justify utterly awful things. There's really never a 24-style "I have to torture this person to REVEAL THE BOMB" scenario and giving additional weight to that does nobody any good considering it gets literal Supreme Court judges citing it .

"I have to do this awful thing, it's the only choice" is also a power fantasy. It's a power fantasy for people who want a justified excuse to do something terrible and feel like it was the right choice. Yet actual decisions are a lot more complex then that and the central key to most "I have to do this awful thing" things in both fiction and history isn't that it is the only choice. It's just the only choice that benefits the person making that choice.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Rhyno posted:

:same:

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Y'all just got lurdiak'ed.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rhyno posted:

I though I'd stumbled into some alternate reality reading those posts above.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Hickman's Avengers on its own is the best Avengers run of modern times. Hickman's SW/F4/A/Secret War is probably the finest long run epic of the last 25 years.

The gently caress man.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I liked pretty much everything but Time Runs Out. The only good part of that was Blue Marvel calling the Illuminati pricks for not telling everybody.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

ImpAtom posted:

I don't really agree with that. It's a power fantasy but the power fantasy is being able to stand up for your beliefs even in the face of people arguing they are implausible/unrealistic/childish. Yes, this can be twisted into horrible beliefs, but that compassion is at the center of why it works. It isn't 'great man' theory, it's the idea that you don't have to bend or compromise on what is right in favor of what is easy.

Saying that people should bend and compromise on atrocities because they are 'necessary' ignores that very often they're not. They're just easier. This is true in reality as well as in superhero fiction and trying to disguise doing something abhorrent under 'it's the only option' is a way more loving damaging viewpoint to espouse because it's one people regularly and frequently use to justify utterly awful things. There's really never a 24-style "I have to torture this person to REVEAL THE BOMB" scenario and giving additional weight to that does nobody any good considering it gets literal Supreme Court judges citing it .

"I have to do this awful thing, it's the only choice" is also a power fantasy. It's a power fantasy for people who want a justified excuse to do something terrible and feel like it was the right choice. Yet actual decisions are a lot more complex then that and the central key to most "I have to do this awful thing" things in both fiction and history isn't that it is the only choice. It's just the only choice that benefits the person making that choice.

Again, I'm not talking about the other dudes and their "we must do this awful thing because it is necessary" crap; that is also garbage, but it's garbage everyone knows is garbage, so quite frankly I'm less concerned with it. Cap, specifically, irks me with his spiel because it comes off like prioritization or triage is some sort of "lesser of two evils" poo poo, and that he's justified in this because he's Captain America, Marvel's conscience-- like it's some kind of noble goal that he's not thinking about where and how he could do the most effective good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

ImpAtom posted:

Yes, this is a good post.

If super-hero stories are fundamentally power fantasies, we can acknowledge that and make decisions about what sorts of fantasies we want to cultivate, and Captain America's commitment to altruism here is no less of a fantasy than a bunch of smart boys and Beast going to another dimension to explode it.

I prefer super-hero narratives that aspire to idealism rather than ones that aspire to a finer edged cynicism, because as mentioned, the "tough decisions" are often really merely the stupid, cruel, and shortsighted decisions, their efficacy itself a macho fantasy.