Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I was like four or five for my first game so I don't remember too much about it besides it was at Wrigley, my dad got Billy Williams to sign a ball for me that I still have on display, at one point Sosa clubbed one oppo onto Sheffield, and the Cubs won.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I don't remember my first games very much, but what I do remember vividly is County stadium. That place was a weirdly damp, yet frightfully cold pile of cracking sweating concrete but it was also my magic kingdom as a child.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/27011227/ortiz-shooting-case-mistaken-identity

Everyone involved except Ortiz are exceedingly stupid

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Gary Sanchez needs to take some pitch framing lessons from this kid:

https://mobile.twitter.com/JeffEisenband/status/1141198897211150336

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

quote:

The alleged shooter is a skinny, tattooed 25-year-old whom U.S. prosecutors said is wanted on armed robbery and gun charges in New Jersey. His driver was captured immediately after the shooting when he fell off the motorcycle he was trying to use to escape.

lol

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
So the tl;dr is that some drug lord had a beef with his cousin and hired a bottom shelf group of dipshits to carry out the hit, and because of a bad photo they mistook a 6'3", 250 man covered in expensive jewelry for some rando because he was wearing white pants?

Also one of the accomplices got ahold of the gun used to shoot Ortiz and decided the best way to hide it was to drive to his mom's house and bury it in the garden. :lol:

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/jeffpassan/status/1141761834434871297?s=21

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
That sounds awesome but also like it would be a complete disaster for their fan base (lol) unless it's just cover for them to slowly transition to Montreal permanently.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Might as well just leave Tampa altogether

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Allons-y

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Just move to Montreal you cowards.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
zut alors

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

gently caress it, play june and july in puerto rico

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

shyduck posted:

Might as well just leave Tampa altogether

Ironically they’re not even in Tampa now!

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Just move!!!!

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Tampa Bay Quebecois

Alternatively, they are a perma road team and barnstorm the season

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

how would they split a playoff series?

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
That's really loving stupid.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

https://twitter.com/NateSilver538/status/1141765439028125698?s=19

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Montreal is the best city so anything that gets baseball there is cool imo

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you

Spring Break My Heart posted:

Ya basically. I can’t imagine players would like it

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
ladies and gentlemen, your tampontreal exrays!

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Spring Break My Heart posted:

There’s no way this would work, it has to be a way to entice Montreal to build a stadium or scare Tampa.

Forget the fan base issues, just the logistics make this a non-starter.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

GoatSeeGuy posted:

There’s no way this would work, it has to be a way to entice Montreal to build a stadium or scare Tampa.

Forget the fan base issues, just the logistics make this a non-starter.

Yeah, it's an incredibly dumb idea. Leave it up to the Rays to ruin the idea of baseball in Montreal.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
this idea is so dumb, it comes all the way back around to good

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

This is a creative but dumb idea. It’s like a soft launch for Montreal baseball lol

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/RaysBaseball/status/1141767819924824066

famous last words

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

It pains me how much the big four drag their loving feet about the single biggest market they could have access to. gently caress your LAs and Chicagos we have a whole goddamned country trumping your numbers.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Tampa Bay gave us the concept of the opener so gently caress it, let's try dual homes.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

don't the Rays have some really awful lease or something keeping them in the trop?

I suppose playing half your home games somewhere else isn't technically breaking it

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

At first this seemed incredibly loving stupid, but now its starting to make sense. Montreal lost their team due to attendance. This is basically MLB saying "show us you want them".

If the stadium has respectable crowds up north and barren in Tampa, then you know what happens next.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

IcePhoenix posted:

don't the Rays have some really awful lease or something keeping them in the trop?

I suppose playing half your home games somewhere else isn't technically breaking it

They need to move across the drat Bay. I don’t even live in the state anymore and it still annoys me how much of a pain in the rear end it is to get to games. It’s not worth the hassle even if you got free tickets.

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

This is an absurdly dumb idea.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Rigel posted:

Montreal lost their team due to attendance. This is basically MLB saying "show us you want them".

Show me where MLB displays that it actually cares about stadium attendance

OneTruePecos
Oct 24, 2010

Zigmidge posted:

It pains me how much the big four drag their loving feet about the single biggest market they could have access to. gently caress your LAs and Chicagos we have a whole goddamned country trumping your numbers.

Canada is 37M people spread all across... Canada, while LA is 18M people in one CSA.

With that said, why not move the Rays?

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
I can't stop laughing.
https://twitter.com/AGoot18/status/1141769789402210306

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

colachute posted:

They need to move across the drat Bay. I don’t even live in the state anymore and it still annoys me how much of a pain in the rear end it is to get to games. It’s not worth the hassle even if you got free tickets.

I mean, yes, this is accurate, but the city doesn't care as long as they get their lease money. And they refuse to help the Rays in any way while they're under the current lease for the Trop.

Tank44
Jun 13, 2005

We want the ball & We're going to score
Florida has about 21M population. Ontario & Quebec combined have 22M population. Give each 1.5 teams and share the love.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Rigel posted:

At first this seemed incredibly loving stupid, but now its starting to make sense. Montreal lost their team due to attendance. This is basically MLB saying "show us you want them".

If the stadium has respectable crowds up north and barren in Tampa, then you know what happens next.

It’s not like MLB would ever use Tampa in order to get a city to build a stad...what?

https://www.mercurynews.com/2012/10/23/mark-purdy-giants-almost-left-san-francisco-for-tampa-bay-area-20-years-ago/

Well surely it’s just that one tim...huh?

http://www.raysindex.com/2013/08/a-look-back-at-the-time-the-white-sox-nearly-moved-to-tampa-st-pete.html

I’m sure nothing dishonorable is happening here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strasburgs UCL
Jul 28, 2009

Hang in there little buddy
This has got to be either a trial balloon for moving to Montreal or and attempt to get a new stadium in Tampa, but I hope it still somehow happens just for how extremely stupid the whole thing is.