Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Is there a MacOS app that will let me add sports scores to the Notification Center?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Is it possible to subscribe to a calendar “via iCloud” so that it’s synced to all my devices? It seems like subscribing to one on-device is local only which is a hassle.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Boris Galerkin posted:

Is it possible to subscribe to a calendar “via iCloud” so that it’s synced to all my devices? It seems like subscribing to one on-device is local only which is a hassle.

It seems to just work for me:

I added those subscribed calendars from the Mac though. Can’t find a way to do it with iOS.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Is there an unarchiver program that shows the contents of the archives and lets you extract specific files like 7zip and WinRAR work on Windows? For some reason every one I've tried really wants to just immediately extract everything to a folder. This is awful when you're dealing with things like massive rom sets where you only want to grab the Commodore 64 files or something.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Fallom posted:

Is there an unarchiver program that shows the contents of the archives and lets you extract specific files like 7zip and WinRAR work on Windows? For some reason every one I've tried really wants to just immediately extract everything to a folder. This is awful when you're dealing with things like massive rom sets where you only want to grab the Commodore 64 files or something.

I *think* you can do this with Keka. Not 100% sure though.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Dick Nipples posted:

I *think* you can do this with Keka. Not 100% sure though.

It doesn't seem to advertise the feature. I'm trying BetterZip right now and it seems to do what I want but for a steep cost at $25.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
I haven't used it, but apparently Trend Micro makes an app called Dr. Unarchiver that lets you browse without extracting everything.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Don’t these apps just extract everything temporarily and then copy out the stuff you want to remove from the zip volume, then delete the temporary extracted stuff? Like, essentially the same as extracting and deleting everything you don’t want?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

tuyop posted:

Don’t these apps just extract everything temporarily and then copy out the stuff you want to remove from the zip volume, then delete the temporary extracted stuff? Like, essentially the same as extracting and deleting everything you don’t want?

I just tried it with 7-Zip on my Windows machine. Extracting a single ROM from a 3 GB N64 ROM set took 8 seconds while extracting everything took 60 seconds.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I can’t believe that you wasted 60 valuable seconds running this test.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

tuyop posted:

Unlike a classic UNIX tar file, zip files have a table of contents (possibly multiple ones) so you can pick and choose your files that you want to extract.

Now I'm having flashbacks to some hosed up tar-file indexer I started writing for some idiot boss one time.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

withak posted:

I can’t believe that you wasted 60 valuable seconds running this test.

There's nothing valuable about our time on earth, friend

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Pivo posted:

It seems to just work for me:

I added those subscribed calendars from the Mac though. Can’t find a way to do it with iOS.

Hmm, yeah, you’re right. I only tried subscribing from my phone and expected to see it pop up on my Mac. I guess I should have given that a try on my Mac first but I just assumed it would be the exact same behavior.

On iOS (and on iCloud.com it’s just not possible from what I can tell) subscribing just puts it under its own header:

And btw, if anyone was wondering cause I couldn’t find it, the way to remove the subscription is to go to Settings -> Passwords and Accounts, not the “i” button.

It seems like a pretty massive oversight to be honest.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Fallom posted:

It doesn't seem to advertise the feature. I'm trying BetterZip right now and it seems to do what I want but for a steep cost at $25.

UnRarX?

Violator
May 15, 2003

Any suggestions for creating custom hot corner actions? I have hot corners for show desktop, show windows, etc. But I'd like to create some sort of action where if I go to a corner and click I can open a specific finder window quickly. I thought there was an app that put a shelf at the top of your screen, but I can't remember what that was or if that's the best option.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Hi all,

I'm trying to move all my backup stuff off Google Drive and into iCloud. This includes music, pictures, game files, zipped folders, etc. The problem is, I cant find a way to only have some of these files stored on my Macbook and iPhone. (For instance, I don't want my backed up music or old pictures sent to my phone when my phone storage space is at a premium, ditto with PC/Windows game files on my Macbook).

Where can I choose what to bring down from iCloud onto my devices, and how do I keep certain folders untouched in iCloud until I need them?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

buglord posted:

Hi all,

I'm trying to move all my backup stuff off Google Drive and into iCloud. This includes music, pictures, game files, zipped folders, etc. The problem is, I cant find a way to only have some of these files stored on my Macbook and iPhone. (For instance, I don't want my backed up music or old pictures sent to my phone when my phone storage space is at a premium, ditto with PC/Windows game files on my Macbook).

Where can I choose what to bring down from iCloud onto my devices, and how do I keep certain folders untouched in iCloud until I need them?

I'll do my thing again first where I say that Google Drive, iCloud Drive, Dropbox, etc. are sync solutions and NOT backup solutions and shouldn't be relied on as such.

That said, I believe iCloud Drive attempts to manage local storage based on the volume's free disk space and will remove local files and folders as needed. There is a command to manually "evict" local files, but it will occasionally redownload those files:
code:
brctl evict [file/folder path]
... And that's about it.

The way that iOS and macOS automatically manage the space used by these cloud-based files is confusing for some people and I totally get why you'd want to manually sync things, BUT in my opinion I think it works great and gives me one less thing to worry about (manually removing stuff to clear up space).

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

It's my understanding that you can't do that because iCloud's deal is "stop paying attention to this stuff, we know best, let us handle it." If you have 300GB free on your Mac then it's just going to download all the files and keep them locally because it has no reason not to, but it also keeps track of these files and will remove local copies of the ones you don't use if space ever becomes an issue.

If that doesn't jive with you then you're honestly better off with another cloud provider to keep your archives/backups. This may change in iOS 13 or macOS Next+ but who knows.

At least with photos though, assuming they are stored in an actual Photos.app library, you can tell it to not store full resolution images locally.

A quick Google search turned url=https://www.reddit.com/r/apple/comments/82m9x9/unofficial_selective_sync_tweak_for_icloud_drive/]this[\url] up though. I have no idea if it works and it might end up wiping your entire hard drive so buyer beware.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I used parallels a long time ago for windows but what are you guys using for VM these days? I want to run Arch.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

If you’re not doing graphics acceleration VirtualBox has always been good to me and my Linux VMs for free.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Does iTunes Match still work with Catalina's Music?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Does iTunes Match still work with Catalina's Music?

It works with iOS Music app, so I'd say yes.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

How come Safari (12.1.1) doesn't have the Xs/Xs Max/Xr sizes built into Responsive Design Mode? Or if it does how do I enable them? For iPhones I only see the SE, 8, and 8 Plus.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Housh posted:

I used parallels a long time ago for windows but what are you guys using for VM these days? I want to run Arch.

Like the other person said... you can run VirtualBox. I run VMWare Fusion because Parallels is probably one of my top 5 least favorite companies on the planet. Annoying as poo poo.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

My most recent usage of VirtualBox felt like it hogged RAM a lot more than VMWare fusion, but it's been ages since I've had Fusion open and might be in my head.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Housh posted:

I’ve used both Parallels and VMware Fusion in recent history.

In general, I prefer Fusion. Parallels is trying super hard to push thAt “seamless desktop experience” poo poo where you can launch windows apps like they’re native macOS poo poo.

Granted, Fusion has a similar feature but it’s easier to disable.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Jose Oquendo posted:

It works with iOS Music app, so I'd say yes.

Can confirm, yes it does.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Thanks, folks! Went with VMWare Fusion and I like it a lot.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Affinity Publisher is out, for anyone that works with that kinda thing. Has a neat feature that integrates their Designer and Photo apps fully into Publisher if you have those installed too.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Any suggestions for scanner software for macOS or is Adobe DC kind of what we're stuck with? We use ScandAll PRO on our Windows machines at work but the attachment size is ridiculously low.

I'm just going to hook up my work Fujitsu fi-6130z directly to my MacBook but I'm looking for something that'll detect blank pages, auto-correct orientation, and more advanced features that Adobe doesn't offer.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

EconOutlines posted:

Any suggestions for scanner software for macOS or is Adobe DC kind of what we're stuck with? We use ScandAll PRO on our Windows machines at work but the attachment size is ridiculously low.

I'm just going to hook up my work Fujitsu fi-6130z directly to my MacBook but I'm looking for something that'll detect blank pages, auto-correct orientation, and more advanced features that Adobe doesn't offer.

VueScan is always the answer for scanning.

https://www.hamrick.com

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Proteus Jones posted:

VueScan is always the answer for scanning.

https://www.hamrick.com

I can’t believe this is still the case. I was bemoaning the fact that VueScan was the best option for driving a large-format scanner after the scanner manufacturers basically gave up making/maintaining drivers in like, 2003.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

japtor posted:

Affinity Publisher is out, for anyone that works with that kinda thing. Has a neat feature that integrates their Designer and Photo apps fully into Publisher if you have those installed too.

I used this during the beta. It was already really good before the studio integration. Now it may become my go-to over InDesign.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
I’m trying to edit a plist from Boot Camp Assistant on Mojave, but it’s throwing permission errors when I try to save, even with admin rights. What’s this security feature called and how do I get around it?

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Lazyhound posted:

I’m trying to edit a plist from Boot Camp Assistant on Mojave, but it’s throwing permission errors when I try to save, even with admin rights. What’s this security feature called and how do I get around it?
I'm assuming the plist is in the /System folder somewhere so you're probably being blocked by System Integrity Protection (https://support.apple.com/en-au/HT204899). You can turn it off by booting into the recovery partition (cmd+R at startup) and running 'csrutil disable' from Terminal (which is in one of the menus at the top).

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

I get that this is blocked and all, so I'm not in an existential panic, but how do I see what this software actually is, at least get a link to the folder it's in or something? Besides clicking 'Allow' which seems like a terrible idea.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Pakistani Brad Pitt posted:

I get that this is blocked and all, so I'm not in an existential panic, but how do I see what this software actually is, at least get a link to the folder it's in or something? Besides clicking 'Allow' which seems like a terrible idea.

Usually the app will notify you that it was blocked

Violator
May 15, 2003

I did a quick google search of that name and it looks like they make display mirroring type software?

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

Figured I would reply since I sorted this out, it’s from Samsung Kies, or some component of it which is software related to a tablet I’ve done Android software testing on for work.

To answer my own question, you can look up detail on what was blocked in System Information > Software > Disabled Software

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Does CCC from macOS have the ability to make a bootable backup drive out of a Windows partition?