Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Selecta84 posted:

I've met some new players who are much more into wargames (one of them is heavily into "World in Flames" and has written official scenarios and stuff) then my other group so no bots necessary. But I might try them cause I really liked our playthrough. But the feeling in the Meeting Segment won't be the same :-(

We used the scoring method from the second edition and the game ended with Victory Condition 2 giving the second place the win. I was way behind as the other players have played the game before and I was only getting into the flow of the game and the playtstyle of my Nation (I was the US) around turn 7. But it was still a fun game and I really hope I can get it to the table more often.

We played the campaign Scenario and I think I want to try the tournament Scenario next.

Cool. Wanting more is about the best recommendation there is.

Did the end "feel" right with the 2nd ed scoring?
Maybe its been overhyped but the wet fart ending it originally had is offputting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Sleekly posted:

Cool. Wanting more is about the best recommendation there is.

Did the end "feel" right with the 2nd ed scoring?
Maybe its been overhyped but the wet fart ending it originally had is offputting.

I would say that it felt right. Without the dice it feels more earned if you can pull it off. But as I said I was so far off that winning was off the table for me anyways but I think I will do much better next time now that I got the gist off it.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Its sounding good! Thanks

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Sleekly posted:

Its sounding good! Thanks

No problem.

I printed out a bot scenario called "Never Surrender" from BGG which is the Player as Churchill vs the other two in the tournament scenario. I never really checked out the normal flow charts but the scenario has its own. They seem to be easy enough to follow.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Selecta84 posted:

Has anyone played the "successor" Pericles? It being a 2v2 sounds intriguing.

I've owned it for years but have never played against other humans yet. My friend swears it's superior to Churchill because there's more decision-making outside of the debate phase. That map makes it so much more opaque to new players, though.

CaptainApathyUK
Sep 6, 2010

CaptainRightful posted:

I've owned it for years but have never played against other humans yet. My friend swears it's superior to Churchill because there's more decision-making outside of the debate phase. That map makes it so much more opaque to new players, though.

I've only played it the once, but it was a scrappy learning game where we were all new to it. I enjoyed it, but God its a bear to learn.

There's one paragraph in the rulebook that I must have tried to parse about 15 times. It was trying to explain the movement restrictions when hitting other units and I just couldn't make head nor tale of it.

Finally something clicked and I realised it was just a pinning rule. Herman sure loves using 6 paragraphs when one will do.

I really should try it again soon because I definitely enjoyed it, and think I preferred it to Churchill.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013
I'm another person with Pericles who has never got to play it against another person. Those rules, certainly aren't doing it any favors.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

We sort of played it that one time but 2p seems pointless.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

cenotaph posted:

We sort of played it that one time but 2p seems pointless.

ehhh, yeah but playing a single round with pre-scripted bots doesn't really count. It does somewhat hammer home the complexity of the game though. I've played more complete rounds against bots, but they leave a lot to be desired.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Just from the tutorial it felt like it would be completely anemic without the full tension of the team dynamics.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

CaptainRightful posted:

And other Pericles stuff...

Thanks. I think I will wait before getting this game and see if my non wargame group might enjoy Churchill.

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

I'm considering jumping into the OCS series, would it be foolish to grab up some cheap and unpunched older versions of OCS titles that are floating around Ebay? I'm seeing tempting auctions for stuff like Enemy at the Gates, Guderian's Blitzkrieg I and Tunisia I. How playable would they be if I just used the newest series rulebook with the old games?

If that's a terrible idea, I'm guessing Tunisia II or Smolensk or Korea would be more reasonable for a newbie compared to Blitzkrieg Legend or Beyond the Rhine? Beyond the Rhine looks really cool though.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

The problem with some of the older versions is that they aren’t necessarily balanced around the newer rules and they have a bunch of chrome that was smoothed out in the newer version. Honestly I would suggest just grabbing Tunisia II it’s the best entry into the system

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Is Guns of Gettysburg at all solo suitable? Thinking I might wanna playb n VASSAL for the 4th

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

thorsilver posted:

I'm considering jumping into the OCS series, would it be foolish to grab up some cheap and unpunched older versions of OCS titles that are floating around Ebay? I'm seeing tempting auctions for stuff like Enemy at the Gates, Guderian's Blitzkrieg I and Tunisia I. How playable would they be if I just used the newest series rulebook with the old games?

If that's a terrible idea, I'm guessing Tunisia II or Smolensk or Korea would be more reasonable for a newbie compared to Blitzkrieg Legend or Beyond the Rhine? Beyond the Rhine looks really cool though.
In general, you want a game where you can see the long-term efefcts of the sysetem: i.e. a full campaign. 4-5 turn mini scenarios can help teach you how to move the pieces around, but you really need a smallish campaign.

Tunisia II is probably the best introductory OCS. I prefer it to the two actual introductory OCSs (which, in any case are now both out of print) - Reluctant Enemies and Sicily II, because it very much feels like a meeting engagement as the forces slowly build up on both sides. Sicily II is horrible as your first OCS title becuase it literally dumps you into the most rules-intensive section with the amphibious landings, a niche part of the rules that you will barely use (used in Korea, and to a msall extent, in BTR and Case Blue), but it's a good second title post-tunisia.

RE is a bit of a weird beast - I'm not a fan, but other people swear by it as a first OCS game.

Moving on from Tunisia, RE, Sicily II and Korea are all good - though as noted, RE and Sicily II are both out of stock. Korea is a bit like Tunisia in that it starts small and you gradually get more and more units and rules thrown in.

Smolensk is less good becuase it throws you in the deep end with high counter density + the Soviet army at this poitn is super unwieldy with AR 1s and 2s being fairly common.

BTR may work, using Queen and/or Nordwind as learning scenarios - both are small enough and don't have that many special rules - I'd probably lean towards Nordwind becuase it's a bit more mobile and interesting while Queen is literally a big grindy slugfest. Definitely wouldn't play the campaign game though, until you've got a bit more under your belt.

The Blitzkrieg Legend has aboslutely no place in a beginner buylist. There are tiny scenarios (Arras and Holland) and there is the full campaign, with ridiculous unit densities. Fun game, but avoid as an early purchase.

Regarding other, older games that are currently OOP
GB I does not work with the current OCS rules, period.
GBII has a 2001 printing which works withe the current rules, so may be worth considering if you can find it for cheap enough. It's practically the same as GBII's 2011 iteration. It has some fairly decent small-medium scenarios but again, the cmapaign is probably not feasible.
Hube's Pocket is being re-done as Third winter, which should be ready in the next cople of years, so not worth buying
EatG is probably vaguely playable but has been completely redone as Case Blue
Case Blue also has some small-medium leranign sceanrios, but the campaign is even more unwieldy than GBII. It also commands a large premium.
Tunisia I is virtually identical to Tunisia II other than a few unit/map changes. But there's no point buying it when Tunisia II is readily avaliable/cheap
DAK and DAK2 and Burma both work well under the current ruleset, and are both excellent games and very different to all other games and well worth purchasing. DAK1/2 in particualr has some nice newbie-friendly scenarios. You will almost certainly never finish DAK - but there are plenty of intermediate starting points for DAK with 3-4 month long scenarios rather than the full thing.
Sicily I has a bit too much chrome to recommend it.
Balitc Gap has pretty ridiculous unit densities so would not recommend it to a beginner.

I think Hungarian Rhapsody, when it comes out, will slot in nicely as a middle-weight ame that would be suitable for intermediate play. It kind of occupies a nice niche middle-weight game with both sides being approxiamtely equal and not starting with a meeting engagement like in Tunisia, Korea etc.

If avaliability was not an issue, I'd recommend doing OCS in this order:
1. Tunisia
2. Korea
3. Sicily II
4. Smolensk
5. Burma
6. DAK
7. The Blitzkrieg Legend/Baltic Gap
8. Some of the really big ones like Beyond the Rhine/Guderian's Bltizkrieg/Case Blue/Third Witner when it comes out.

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

tomdidiot posted:

In general, you want a game where you can see the long-term efefcts of the sysetem: i.e. a full campaign. 4-5 turn mini scenarios can help teach you how to move the pieces around, but you really need a smallish campaign.

Tunisia II is probably the best introductory OCS. I prefer it to the two actual introductory OCSs (which, in any case are now both out of print) - Reluctant Enemies and Sicily II, because it very much feels like a meeting engagement as the forces slowly build up on both sides. Sicily II is horrible as your first OCS title becuase it literally dumps you into the most rules-intensive section with the amphibious landings, a niche part of the rules that you will barely use (used in Korea, and to a msall extent, in BTR and Case Blue), but it's a good second title post-tunisia.

That's great advice, thank you! Tunisia II sounds ideal -- digestible intro scenarios but also a meaty enough campaign to give me a real taste of the OCS system. Will pick this up for sure.

Gonna chop up your post here to respond to other bits:

quote:

RE is a bit of a weird beast - I'm not a fan, but other people swear by it as a first OCS game.

Moving on from Tunisia, RE, Sicily II and Korea are all good - though as noted, RE and Sicily II are both out of stock. Korea is a bit like Tunisia in that it starts small and you gradually get more and more units and rules thrown in.

Smolensk is less good becuase it throws you in the deep end with high counter density + the Soviet army at this poitn is super unwieldy with AR 1s and 2s being fairly common.

BTR may work, using Queen and/or Nordwind as learning scenarios - both are small enough and don't have that many special rules - I'd probably lean towards Nordwind becuase it's a bit more mobile and interesting while Queen is literally a big grindy slugfest. Definitely wouldn't play the campaign game though, until you've got a bit more under your belt.

Hmm, sounds like some interesting choices to be made for a second OCS outing. Korea sounds the most sensible choice, but BTR is really tempting me. I guess I should see whether I like Tunisia II first... ahh who am I kidding, I'll end up buying at least three of these drat things :)

quote:

Regarding other, older games that are currently OOP
GB I does not work with the current OCS rules, period.
GBII has a 2001 printing which works withe the current rules, so may be worth considering if you can find it for cheap enough. It's practically the same as GBII's 2011 iteration. It has some fairly decent small-medium scenarios but again, the cmapaign is probably not feasible.
Hube's Pocket is being re-done as Third winter, which should be ready in the next cople of years, so not worth buying
EatG is probably vaguely playable but has been completely redone as Case Blue
Case Blue also has some small-medium leranign sceanrios, but the campaign is even more unwieldy than GBII. It also commands a large premium.
Tunisia I is virtually identical to Tunisia II other than a few unit/map changes. But there's no point buying it when Tunisia II is readily avaliable/cheap
DAK and DAK2 and Burma both work well under the current ruleset, and are both excellent games and very different to all other games and well worth purchasing. DAK1/2 in particualr has some nice newbie-friendly scenarios. You will almost certainly never finish DAK - but there are plenty of intermediate starting points for DAK with 3-4 month long scenarios rather than the full thing.
Sicily I has a bit too much chrome to recommend it.
Balitc Gap has pretty ridiculous unit densities so would not recommend it to a beginner.

This is really helpful too, thanks! The one of the old ones that was tempting me most was Enemy at the Gates, mainly because some CSW and BGG chat from the designers said it's playable with the new rules with a simple tweak or two, and that it covers some Stalingrad stuff that didn't make it to Case Blue. Also Case Blue is preposterously expensive. I may still impulse-buy EatG if it crops up again at a cheap price on the strength of the theme; call me boring but I do love me some Stalingrad. And I may be bad at budgeting but I really can't justify £400 for Case Blue!

quote:

If avaliability was not an issue, I'd recommend doing OCS in this order:
1. Tunisia
2. Korea
3. Sicily II
4. Smolensk
5. Burma
6. DAK
7. The Blitzkrieg Legend/Baltic Gap
8. Some of the really big ones like Beyond the Rhine/Guderian's Bltizkrieg/Case Blue/Third Witner when it comes out.

Yeah, from the sounds of it I'll definitely start with Tunisia II, then probably Korea, then at some point I'll break down and get BTR.

Now the big follow-up question: anyone fancy teaching a newbie some OCS via Vassal sometime?

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard
Hell, if you're in the UK - I'm in Cambridge and would be up for driving for OCS games.

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

tomdidiot posted:

Hell, if you're in the UK - I'm in Cambridge and would be up for driving for OCS games.

I am, although I'm in Glasgow so it's a long haul! PM me if you want to arrange something :)

thorsilver fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Jul 3, 2019

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

The final spice...your tears <3

Played the new GMT COIN Gandhi: The Decolonization of British India, 1917 – 1947 a couple of days ago and on first impressions I think it's a really strong entry into the series. Unfortunately I only got a 3-player game in (I played two Non-Violent or NV sides--and had to win with both) but nevertheless the game held up. I set up the main game (i.e. the long one) and its playtime was...well it was a new game for all of us and one player is kind of slow on his turns....

This might have been the first COIN I played where every campaign/propaganda/win-check card was drawn. As the last campaign card was drawing near everyone was close to winning, but ultimately when the card was sprung the NV sides (me!) won and auto-victory tie-breaker against the Revolutionary side.

The non-violent factions have an interesting play style and aren't merely an violent insurgent faction by a different name. While their forces flip face-up and face-down like guerrillas, activating them isn't an expenditure to do things like how attacks are for Revolutionaries and other games' insurgent factions--instead active NV is an opportunity cost to be in Protest spots. NV actions are driven by placing Protest markers in areas to actually accomplish things, but those markers are limited by a track that represents the Raj's restraint against the NV--less Restraint more Protest markers available. However, the cost of Raj's actions are cheaper at low Restraint, so there's this paradoxical system where the easier it is for Raj to do things so it is for the NV factions. The NV don't even use resources: the amount of locations they can perform operations at are dictated by either Restraint or Unity (depending on if the faction is Congress or Muslim League respectively).

Revolutionaries get interesting in that they're not just one of three other insurgents but rather throwing a wrench into the peaceful approach of the NV and their conflict with the Raj. They don't even care about support or opposition as much as the amount of population under an Unrest marker (similar to the Terror markers in prior games).

The Raj are limited in a neat way in that they can only put Sepoy cubes into the many State areas of the board--the stronger and more versatile Troop cubes (think of other COIN's military where the Sepoy are Police) simply cannot occupy those spaces. The Muslim League faction can even turn Muslim-influenced spaces into States to block even more of the board off.

Other things I like are that this is a COIN with lots of fast travel means via Railways as opposed to some of the slower maps in the series; that Gandhi is not a leader piece for battle but a leader piece that enables more Congress capabilities and punishes the Raj severely if arrested; that NV forces get arrested instead of becoming immediately available and have to be pulled out of jail to become playable again; and that the game is on the lighter end of COINs (something along the lines of Cuba Libre or Colonial Twilight if perhaps slightly more involved due to the Non-Violent factions requiring and additional list of operations).

As far as first plays go this left the best impression of any COIN I've played outside of Cuba Libre and maybe Colonial Twilight. Haven't played Liberty or Death or Pendragon yet though--but I suspect those won't win over Gandhi.

Finally, I like that the playbook has a section dedicated to dispelling three major myths about non-violent protest and their perceived ineffectiveness. It was an interesting and persuasive read.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Okay, explain to me as if I was a child, please.

Advanced Tobruk. It looks like it is a whole system of games at this point which covers lots of WWII.

Does this use the same system as - or an updated version of - the system from the old Tobruk game from Avalon Hill?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

When two chits love each other very much...

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Cessna posted:

Advanced Tobruk. It looks like it is a whole system of games at this point which covers lots of WWII.

Does this use the same system as - or an updated version of - the system from the old Tobruk game from Avalon Hill?

Sounds like you've got it.

The guy who runs Critical Hit publishing said "hey this Advanced Squad Leader craze is cool, but I don't want to have to read all kinds of rulebooks, and I also wish these products weren't playtested and were produced with lovely quality components and sometimes missing pieces and we could repackage the same game under multiple names to weasel people out of money. I'll just re-use the same system from AH's Tobruk and call it my own"

...and thus ATS was born.

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
Good luck to you, I know you believe in hell

Cessna posted:

Yep, that’s correct.

I’ve never played Tobruk or ATS but from what I’ve heard it’s the system to play if you really love penetration statistics and angled armor plate thickess calculations.

Edit: Critical Hit is a terrible company but I assume that at least part of their products are okay since they are still alive

Obfuscation fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Jul 3, 2019

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Huh, cool. I liked old Tobruk back in the day. I may have to pick up one of the new games.

Thanks for the info!

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
Combat! Just charged to my card. It was like $110 or something even on preorder which seems steep as hell and no, I don’t know what I was thinking at the time.

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Jul 7, 2019

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
OCS Update - presented at Consim Exxpo last Week.

“Curtis H. Bear” posted:

OCS Development and Playtesting Update:

Hungarian Rhapsody. Design – Stephane Acquaviva. Developer – Curtis H. Baer. (Two maps, four countersheets, campaigns in Hungary, western Romania, 10-5-1944 to 2-12-1945, including the epic battle for Budapest, 15 scenarios). This is the next title in line for publication. Unfortunately, we have had a delay here. This game was finally completed and submitted to MMP for a preorder 1-31-2019. We were told by MMP there was an inventory management and production scheduling problem. So, I’ve been patiently waiting to hear when this game can be placed for preorder and even more importantly, I’ve asked for a reasonable date for publication after preorder has been achieved. This last point is important. OCS games have always made their preorder number. The problem is, our current system has disincentives to preorder. Dean and I have proposed that OCS preorders should rather have, incentives for OCSers to preorder. With interesting incentives in place I can see OCS games “making their number” in possibly 60 days or even 30 days, but certainly a much shorter time frame than under the current system. However, the problem is we would then need to see a reasonable date for production after the number is made. I believe a long period of lingering, while waiting for production is even worse than an unnecessarily long preorder period. So, the timing of preorders, the method of preorders and MMP’s production schedule all become important to manage. At this time, I can say that I’m working with MMP as best I can. I share your frustration; like you I want our games sooner than later. HR will provide a wide range of OCS play. This includes tank battles on the plains in Hungary, epic battles for Budapest (very Stalingrad-like), battles to force a path through the Carpathian Mountains, a small partisan suppression campaign in Slovakia, and the struggle for local air superiority. Scenarios will include the fight across the Hungarian plains, the battles on the approach to Budapest, the sieges of Budapest, and the three desperate German relief efforts for Budapest (Operations Konrad I, II and III). Soviet Front HQs and the RVGK tank and Mech corps rebuild functions are realistically portrayed. Soviet logistical difficulties (they had NO rail net) are simulated in a unique and effective OCS manner – Truck Cap. Because I’m the developer for HR it’s hard to be objective, but I have played enough of this game to confidently say - HR will be a tense, and engaging experience for each player, the hallmark for each OCS game.

The Third Winter. Design – Tony Birkett. Developer – Chip Saltsman. (Four maps, seven countersheets, campaigns on the lower Dnieper river, 9-26-1943 to the mud of March-April 1944, 4-6 scenarios). TTW is now in final development and is planned for preorder - 9-1-2019. (However, the above referenced constraints concerning preorder and publication will also apply here.) This game has now been very well playtested and Chip is addressing the final issues of its development. I have been involved with playtesting this game for several years now. Accordingly, I can say it will be a tight, tough contest for each side. Supply and victory conditions seemed to be very well balanced. The lower Dnieper river crossing attempts are a great challenge for each player. There will be massive battles for control of Kiev and the very important rail junction it contains. Cherkassy and Kremenchug remain points of interest for the Soviet player, so the German player must defend these cities in strength or face the consequences. This spreads the German defense to the Soviets advantage. The question becomes, where will the German line break and when? Very tense situation for each side. Later scenarios encompass the Korsun pocket action, the German defense at the Bug river, the defense of Odessa and the Soviet drives into Romania and eastern Poland. All in all, another challenging and compelling OCS game!

The Forgotten Battles. Design – Tony Birkett. Developer – Curtis H. Baer (currently by default – volunteers?). (Four maps, four countersheets, scenarios, to be determined). This is a companion game that covers the east front north of The Third Winter. It portrays the battles faced by Army Group Center starting late September 1943 through spring 1944. Playtesting reveals this game to be another knock down, dragged out affair presenting challenges, again to both players. The combatants were going after each other tooth and nail on this “quiet front”. I’ve learned a great deal about this underappreciated part of WWII. Truly - Forgotten Battles.

Titles In Various States Of Design (some are well along, and some are primarily a concept): More advanced stages of Design (In Playtesting or getting closer to Playtesting):

• Hero City – (Design: Tony Birkett, Developer:???) (In Playtesting). A Four-map follow on game of east front action in the Leningrad area, particularly focused on the lifting of the siege in 1943-1944. Tony Birkett is the designer, and it would link to the Forgotten Battles maps. Part of Tony’s current complete east front project– Ost Front.

• Bagration – (Design: Kurt Gilles, Developer:???) (In Playtesting). The Soviet destruction of Army Group Center can be played on essentially the same map set as Forgotten Battles. This module is being designed by Kurt Gilles. The first playtest was made last week in Tempe. As expected our designer got some very good feedback and has quite a few notes. He will now reflect and refine this design. Looking to get a Vassal Mod as soon as we can. Let me know if you and your group want to help with playtesting.

• Normandy – (Design: Roland LeBlanc, Developer:???) (Working title – Cross Channel Attack.) Roland is designing a game for the Second Front invasion of occupied Europe in 1944, whose maps will link to his earlier design Beyond the Rhine. Five maps (3.5 mile/hex scale) to include Normandy. This game has come a long way in the past six months (sorry to pester you so Roland.) Now that he is officially retired, he’s has made substantial progress on all the important elements: Maps, OoB/Counters, Game Specific Rules. John Kisner is helping by preparing playtest map graphics. Accordingly. I would like to see this title in playtesting ASAP. In this regard it’s not too early to line up playtesters – any volunteers? Send me an email, thanks.

• Italy – (Design: Tony Zbaraschuk, Developer???). Tony Z has been designing a game that represents the Italian Campaign. The scale he’s working on at this time is 3.5 to the hex, and the maps cover from Parma and Mantua in the Po river valley in the north to Napoli and Foggia in the south. It appears we have to extend the map area in the south to encompass the Salerno landings. At this scale it 36 hexes from Anzio directly east to Pescara on the Adriatic coast. Again, substantial progress has been made on this game in the past six months. We all remember how good Avalon Hill’s Anzio was. I can see where this campaign could be just as good via the OCS treatment. Can’t wait to get this one into playtesting.

• Sea Lion – (Design: Marcus Watney, Developer???). Marcus is designing a hypothetical German invasion of southern England in the summer/fall of 1940. He’s been a busy guy and has now produced the first draft of big three components necessary to advance to playtesting: 1.) map (sketches here, still working on a playtest version), 2.) OoB/ Counters Manifest (still working on the playtest counters), and 3.) Game Specific Rules. He has some neat ideas about how to handle specific mechanics which will be required for this game.

Less advanced stages of Design. (Not Ready for Playtesting.)

• Czechoslovakia 1938 – David Barsness is designing a game for a hypothetical war between Germany and Czechoslovakia in 1938.

• Crimea – Two separate games are in design, and our thought at this time is to publish both in a one-map package. Guy Wilde is working on the German conquest of the Crimea in 1941-1942 and Tony Birkett is designing a module for the Soviet reconquest in 1944.

• Malaya – Another potential title by Tony Zbaraschuk that covers the Japanese conquest of Malaysia in 1941-1942. This design is on the back burner. I have asked Tony to focus on Italy as a higher priority.

• Prussia 1945 – The final Soviet offensive to capture Berlin is being modeled by Tony Birkett. In addition, Roland LeBlanc has done a great deal of research on this campaign and will take up this project as soon as he can complete his Normandy game.

• Greece 1940-1941 – I’m in the initial stages of design for a module that covers the Italian invasion of Greece, and subsequent German intervention. Working now on the OoB/Counters. Cleaning up the mapping (Two maps at 5-mile scale, plus a small Crete map, same scale). Still considering how to make a compelling OCS title from this situation. It certainly would be intriguing if we could link this to DAK (and Reluctant Enemies?).

• Changsha – Several large battles took place in this region between the Japanese and Chinese forces in 1939, 1941 and 1944. Forest Webb has done the initial work on what this campaign could look like. He has preliminary OCS maps (two at 5-mile scale). He’s working on the order of battle. And he has started considering the game specific rules. I will continue to encourage his efforts.

• Kursk – Following Hungarian Rhapsody, Stephane Acquaviva has been mapping out how the Axis summer of 1943 campaign (which did not need to take place at Kursk) could be modeled. In this regard, I understand his focus will be the operational possibilities presented on the eastern front during this time, rather than a recreation of the actual battle of Kursk which may require scripting and possibly not play well as an OCS title.

• Norway 1940 ??? – Just a glint in Chip Saltsman’s eye at this moment. Many of us can recall what a great game Narvik was in the old Europa series. So, I’m wondering whether an OCS rendition of this campaign could be equally well done. We’ll see what Chip comes up with.

• Others? – There may be other game ideas out there. If you are interested in designing an OCS game, please reach out to me. We have a set of requirements for budding OCS designs, which are essentially to produce a playtest map, order of battle and game-specific rules/trial scenarios within a stated period of time. We are particularly interested in more one-map games to provide both variety and entry-level action. Think Smolensk, which I believe has been a great.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Gonna be interesting to see how they model the operational and strategic surprise during Bagration.

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
The Hungary game sounds cool, I hope it comes out reasonably soon. Last I checked the next BCS game was also going to be about Hungary, I wonder how far along that is.

Huskalator
Mar 17, 2009

Proud fascist
anti-anti-fascist
OCS Sealion sounds awesome

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

Huskalator posted:

OCS Sealion sounds awesome

He’ll yeah, I’m all over this (five years from now)

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I see that CSI still has a few copies of Beyond the Rhine still available. Is that a good place to try a big OCS game after I've done something like Smolensk or, if I find it, Tunisia II?

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

Chill la Chill posted:

I see that CSI still has a few copies of Beyond the Rhine still available. Is that a good place to try a big OCS game after I've done something like Smolensk or, if I find it, Tunisia II?

Check tomdidiot's response to me above, tons of good info about where to start with OCS. I was thinking the same as you and was tempted by BTR, but in the end took tomdidiot's advice and ordered Tunisia II and Korea. BTR seems best saved for much further down the line, after having had a few goes at more manageable campaigns with less maps and unit density.

Huskalator
Mar 17, 2009

Proud fascist
anti-anti-fascist
Played some Brazen Chariots ftf yesterday with 5.5 Operation Battleaxe. My initial opinion of this scenario is very favorable. We (two somewhat experienced BCS players) finished it in about 5.5 hrs which is pretty ideal for me. The narrative was great. There was a lot of tense back and forth over the VP hexes. 7 Arm managed to capture two objectives then annihilate all armored units in 15 PZ with no loss in fatigue. There were lots of interesting decisions and puzzley situations for such a bite sized scenario. We ended in a draw with the Allies capturing the Hafid Pass and the Axis managing to retake the other objectives.

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

For the OCS people in the thread, Hungarian Rhapsody is up for preorder -- http://www.multimanpublishing.com/tabid/59/ProductID/370/Default.aspx

Having now received Tunisia II and Korea, with Enemy at the Gates on the way from Ebay, I got overexcited and almost bought this too before I remembered MMP doesn't do EU-friendly shipping :(

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
A two map game and it retails for $140, are they loving high?

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
That was my first thought too... Last Blitzkrieg has 4 maps and 6 countersheets and it’s ”only” $132, I guess maps are cheap to print?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Maps are indeed quite cheap to print if you don't have to mount them. All the cost is for countersheets, so I'm not surprised at the cost. Eastern Front has huge unit density.

Huskalator
Mar 17, 2009

Proud fascist
anti-anti-fascist
[q="perrycocke"]

Production costs are going up.[/q]

From BGG

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

Tekopo posted:

Maps are indeed quite cheap to print if you don't have to mount them. All the cost is for countersheets, so I'm not surprised at the cost. Eastern Front has huge unit density.

Yeah - you can definitely see this by comparing how much this costs compared to Brazen Chariots, which has 3 maps and 4 countersheets, and costs about 2/3rds of the price of this.

Admittedly it does compare pretty badly to Beyond the Rhine, which comes with an extra 2 maps and 2 extra countersheets for like $6 less.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

thorsilver posted:

For the OCS people in the thread, Hungarian Rhapsody is up for preorder -- http://www.multimanpublishing.com/tabid/59/ProductID/370/Default.aspx

Having now received Tunisia II and Korea, with Enemy at the Gates on the way from Ebay, I got overexcited and almost bought this too before I remembered MMP doesn't do EU-friendly shipping :(

I get most of my EU Friendly stuff through Hexasim.