Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Apologies for linking to boingboing, but there are $30 kits that turn a bird scooter into your personal scooter. Apparently some cities impound them and sell them off cheap, so there is a legal way to make them your personal scooter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Thank you! I'll try that.

The benefit over a real scooter is it's small enough to fold away and not clutter up my room. Small enough that for quick visits to buildings I can just pick it up and bring it inside, instead of dealing with securing it somewhere. I'm hoping to get one for my wife too and we can go get food together. In suburb hell the nearest food is a mile away, yet it's still in the middle of LA so there's no parking.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Dumb Lowtax posted:

The benefit over a real scooter is it's small enough to fold away and not clutter up my room. Small enough that for quick visits to buildings I can just pick it up and bring it inside, instead of dealing with securing it somewhere.

Bring back the Motocompo

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

MomJeans420 posted:

Apologies for linking to boingboing, but there are $30 kits that turn a bird scooter into your personal scooter. Apparently some cities impound them and sell them off cheap, so there is a legal way to make them your personal scooter.

375 such impounded scooters are about to be auctioned off in Richmond, VA. Wish I still lived there so I could get a few to gently caress around with.

https://www.seibertcos.com/auto-auction.html

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Coredump posted:

I sold a car, 1998 240sx, recently thru facebook marketplace. One of the potential buyers got punchy with me, its in the craigslist thread in AI.

Oh, that’s........... not what I meant :shobon:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I sold my '92 240sx for $800 and all it needed was a freeze plug. Dude rolled it eight days later and asked for a refund

that was the last time i sold a car for real money, now i drive them into the dirt and scrap or sell for a dollar

HOW DO YOU ROLL A STOCK S13 WITH PERFECT BODY AND GLASS

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Jonny 290 posted:

I sold my '92 240sx for $800 and all it needed was a freeze plug. Dude rolled it eight days later and asked for a refund

Lol what :rolleyes:

Jonny 290 posted:

A talent for being untalented

adary
Feb 9, 2014

meh
Sold my bike. Worst decision ever ...

Well, there was a reason behind the sale which is a sorry state of my back, my 100km daily commute and the fact I was riding a cruiser, but I still regret the decision ...

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

In the past ~6 weeks I've been catching up on maintenance, got my 15k service done, a new stator and r+r, and got new Q3+ put on. Was feeling pretty good and have an appointment to get my fork oil changed and a new rear brake rotor put on, all set for a track day in late July. This morning as I'm getting off the freeway in what's abnormally hosed up traffic, even by LA standards, I'm trying to make a left turn in the intersection and there's no power to the wheels. I thought I may have accidentally hit neutral but nope, nothing would make the bike go. Thankfully I was able to coast to the side of the road and park it safely.

I was trying to diagnose it, but I have no idea what's wrong. You can shift the gears up and down and the indicator will show 1, N, 2, etc, but if you let the clutch out completely in gear it won't stall or move. I was able to move it back and forth it what was supposed to be 1st gear, but I have no idea what the issue is. I did notice it didn't have the normal "clunk" into 1st gear when I shifted it while running.

poo poo, now that I type that all out, I've had a couple of times recently where getting out of neutral at a light has felt a little bit off, probably related? Just weird it went from completely fine on the freeway to no power to the wheels at all, instantly.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Front sprocket off the splines? Usually when a transmission goes it’s........... a very noticeable experience.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

That makes more sense, especially since I just had the front sprocket changed out in my recent service. I wonder if the shop forgot a lock nut or something like that. I've never had a transmission poo poo itself, but I would imagine it'd be more noticeable than this.

It was weird to instantly have no power despite the engine revving, it takes a second to figure out "oh, something has gone wrong here."

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Check your clutch cable before anything else. Then check it again.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Front sprocket off the splines? Usually when a transmission goes it’s........... a very noticeable experience.

This is exactly what happened to my Rex last year. Pulled to a stop and absolutely no action from the rear wheel no matter what gear I put it in. Disconfuckingcerting. I had to call a tow truck, they sent a giant flatdeck.

The shop that fixed it for me* tabbed the lockwasher up in three places so it shouldn't go loving anywhere now.

* I can put my own sprocket on no problem, but like you I thought it was a transmission issue and wasn't even thinking to check out the sprocket. So check the cable, and check the sprocket.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Trip report: got a ride home, grabbed what I thought were the right tools to remove the sprocket cover bolts, and took my car back to the bike. Inspected the clutch cable and action and everything seemed fine, then tried to remove the sprocket cover but it turns out they were not allen bolts (though they did have a dimple in the middle), and I need some small sockets with extensions to get it off. When I move the bike back and forth the chain does move and doesn't seem to make any sound, so if it's the front sprocket I think it's just barely off and hasn't fallen into the depths of the fairings?

I did notice that when I went from idling with the clutch pulled in to letting the clutch out, the rpms rose, whatever that means. I didn't want to leave the engine running in gear for too long for fear of wearing down some part. As someone who learned clutch + throttle control the hard way by smashing his nuts on the tank when stalling the bike taking off from a stop, it feels really weird to let the clutch out without giving it any throttle.

I'm going to come back in the morning with the right sockets and see if I can verify it's the sprocket. I'm sure the shop that did the work will fix it for free if that's the issue, but I still have to pay for a tow to the shop if I can't fix it right there.

MomJeans420 fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jul 9, 2019

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Looks like we found the problem. Didn't see the nut anywhere inside the fairings, and I checked the ground yesterday, so for all I know it fell off a while ago and sprocket stayed on for a while. I couldn't get it back in without getting more slack in the chain, but I'm swamped at work so I'm just towing it home and I'll deal with it later.

*edit*
I suck at imgur on my phone

MomJeans420 fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jul 9, 2019

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!

MomJeans420 posted:

Looks like we found the problem. Didn't see the nut anywhere inside the fairings, and I checked the ground yesterday, so for all I know it fell of a while ago and sprocket stayed on for a while. I couldn't get it back in without getting more slack in the chain, but I'm swamped at work so I'm just towing it home and I'll deal with it later.

Holy crap! Wow! Did you say you had this work done at a dealer?

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

My local bike shop / community garage, who I've had good luck with in the past but had two recent issues (air in my cooling system, and this). Apparently this is common enough according to the Daytona forums, but not super confidence inspiring. I'd just bring it back to them but the parts are $10 and it will save me more than that in time and Uber rides to just do it myself. The biggest issue (besides being stuck on the side of the road) is anytime I order parts they don't usually ship for a week.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Jonny 290 posted:

that was the last time i sold a car for real money, now i drive them into the dirt and scrap or sell for a dollar

How do you just go ask someone for your money back after you wreck your car?
Seriously. How did that conversation go?

Tyro posted:

375 such impounded scooters are about to be auctioned off in Richmond, VA. Wish I still lived there so I could get a few to gently caress around with.

https://www.seibertcos.com/auto-auction.html

If this was an online auction I'd be all over it. Wasting a day off of work to drive an hour to bid on electric scooters in a room full of people who smell like they're from Hopewell is not worth it.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

room full of people who smell like they're from Hopewell

I see you've also been to the local gun shows.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

How do you just go ask someone for your money back after you wreck your car?
Seriously. How did that conversation go?

"hey the suspension was shot on that and it rolled. gonna need a refund let me know when you can do this"

"as soon as i hear from your lawyer"

and then silence.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

good lord the balls on some people

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
What kind of a suspension does that

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

MomJeans420 posted:

Looks like we found the problem. Didn't see the nut anywhere inside the fairings, and I checked the ground yesterday, so for all I know it fell off a while ago and sprocket stayed on for a while. I couldn't get it back in without getting more slack in the chain, but I'm swamped at work so I'm just towing it home and I'll deal with it later.

*edit*

what the gently caress. Are the threads on the countershaft hosed from spinning against the inner teeth of the front sprocket while you were putting the bike in first and letting out the clutch? wouldn't that make a hosed up noise?

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Strangely it did not make a bad sound, so I'm hoping it's ok? I haven't had a chance to take a look at it yet, but I'm going to check them out carefully once I get everything off. I'm just glad it didn't fall off completely and lock the chain, locking my rear wheel. Although it seems that everyone else with my bike who's had this happen didn't lock the rear wheel, so maybe that's just not likely to happen.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Someone at that shop is about to fork out for removing your engine to replace the output shaft.

Or they'll mound on the loctite and call it a day.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Slavvy posted:

Someone at that shop is about to fork out for removing your engine to replace the output shaft.

Or they'll mound on the loctite and call it a day.

Yeah I'm with slavvy, let the shop take the hit if your output shaft looks the tiniest bit buggered.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I'm going to look at it this weekend and see what's up. I have a cousin who's a bike mechanic (usually Harleys, though he worked at Keanu Reeves' bike company for a while) so I'll see what he thinks too. I don't expect any problems getting the shop to fix it if it's damaged, they touched the front sprocket 300 miles ago (maybe a bit less), and I've spent a ton of money there recently.

I wonder if they completely forgot to reinstall the nut and washer, or just didn't bend the locking washer correctly. Would it even stay on for that long with no nut? I'm just glad this happened walking distance to work, and not when I was in farm country when it was 100 degrees outside.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I've seen an r6 where the sprocket was held on with a borderline useless bolt drilled into the center of the shaft + half a bottle of loctite where the shaft threads used to be. It lasted about 3000km. And this was the repair after it spat the sprocket the first time and put a window in the case. The hole was welded up expertly, so they clearly had the motor out but I guess a $150 output shaft wasn't in the budget.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I just checked the service manual and it looks involved, to say the least, to change out the output shaft on my bike. Plus the cost of a new shaft and a 1 to 2 week wait from Bike Bandit. I've had bad luck at work this week, so maybe the gods will smile upon my bike this weekend.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

MomJeans420 posted:

*edit*

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Called it!

Good luck with your investigation, hopefully nothing is too messed up :ohdear:

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

MomJeans420 posted:

I just checked the service manual and it looks involved, to say the least, to change out the output shaft
Yeah that would be a total motor rebuild. I've never tried that experiment so I dunno how likely that stuff is to survive a failure like that. Has the chain been rubbing on the inside of the frame? Just to the rear of the sprocket.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Lookin at that photo the threads look pretty well intact with no shavings/galling visible, I'd be willing to be it didn't chowder up the splines too bad except maybe the last little bit, and tha could be repaired (kinda) with a dremel or Jeweler's file pretty easy, he may have gotten real lucky.

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

Can sprockets destroy output shafts? I had a very similar problem on my XT350—bike in gear, would not go, engine had no problem—and it turned out to be that the splines of my output shaft had stripped the inner teeth of the drive sprocket, due to the sprocket being loose or worn or whatever it might have been.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Output shafts are generally hardened steel and are (usually) harder than the sprocket. Probably for just this reason.

I’m sure one of the euro manufacturers considers the output shaft to be a wear item so ymmv

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Output shafts are generally hardened steel and are (usually) harder than the sprocket. Probably for just this reason.

I’m sure one of the euro manufacturers considers the output shaft to be a wear item so ymmv

KTM can help you there! If you do a motard/street conversion on a KTM dirt bike, be sure to spring for a rear wheel with a cush drive. That extra $200 is a small price to pay for not replacing your output shaft.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
There is also the issue with close but not perfectly fitting sprockets. I've seen pictures of 90s hondas with stripped splines ie transalps, Africa twins, nx250, combo of not totally correct aftermarket sprockets and slightly bad metallurgy in the OEM output shafts. My nx250 is missing the arrestor splines on the end of the output shaft for the locking washer and was welded poorly the PO and rewelded similarly poorly by my brother.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Slavvy posted:

KTM can help you there! If you do a motard/street conversion on a KTM dirt bike, be sure to spring for a rear wheel with a cush drive. That extra $200 is a small price to pay for not replacing your output shaft.

I have a rear wheel with a Cush drive for my FE250.

Unfortunately it's the one with non-street legal tires :downsgun:

How quickly should I rectify this?

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Elviscat posted:

I have a rear wheel with a Cush drive for my FE250.

Unfortunately it's the one with non-street legal tires :downsgun:

How quickly should I rectify this?

None quickly? If you’re riding primarily on dirt it doesn’t matter. If you’re riding mostly on pavement and your bike is a 450/500, I’d get one. Your bike is a 250 though so you’ll be fine. It sounds like I’m making fun of you when I read that but I hadn’t meant to be. Just the output of your engine isn’t enough to be problematic, particularly with knobbies, imo.

E: there’s a brand of Cush hubs too. I don’t know how well they work but it’s a cheaper alternative.

builds character fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Jul 15, 2019

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I gotta put my gopro back on my helmet.

Today, just in the 20 miles between my place and the airport:

- The car in front of me ran over a wooden crate, exploding it into shrapnel that scattered across all four lanes
- Cement truck made a last second swerve from the middle lane to the exit, cutting across an offramp gore
- Paralleled a guy in a Tesla on autopilot while he ate a bowl of yogurt
- A wind gust lifted a improperly secured 10 foot long 2x8 out of the bed of a pickup and spun it at least 20 feet into the air, narrowly missing the SUV behind when it came back down
- Countless cases of people drifting between lanes, slamming on brakes, failing to signal, etc

I swear the most dangerous part of flying small planes is the highway to the airport

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Maz
Mar 27, 2005

Get It By Your Hands
I treated the CBR to new jets and a few other carb bits. So of course I'm now about to tear down the bike a third time because there's a coolant leak...from the carbs. 90s Honda engineers sure had some ideas :psyduck: