Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
I know this much, Pete Alonso will hit more home runs than Mike Piazza hit in his entire derby career.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Well at least Bregman wasn’t dead last in the HR total

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Zigmidge posted:

Are dudes not picking their usual BP guy on purpose for some reason?

I think most are, it's just that not a lot are good at this because throwing the exact same pitch over and over again isn't really useful outside of HR Derby lol

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Sydin posted:

Does anybody actually make purchasing decisions even partly influenced by TV ads anymore?

yeah tons do

but what the ads aim at isnt the same anymore

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

Epic High Five posted:

I think most are, it's just that not a lot are good at this because throwing the exact same pitch over and over again isn't really useful outside of HR Derby lol

touche

Squall
Mar 10, 2010

"...whatever."
The first year they swapped to this format, wasn't the rule actually that you had to wait for the ball to land before pitching the next one? I remember them being a bit "flexible" with that but I guess they got rid of that ages ago.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
Lol Alonso's pitcher is gonna gently caress him over

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
lol what's with all the low balls

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I love Bregman interviews because he’s always so bashful

Squall
Mar 10, 2010

"...whatever."
lmao at bringing your cousin to toss you garbage

Gerblederp
Dec 4, 2009

it is very Mets to go to the HRD and have your pitcher bounce the first two

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Squall posted:

The first year they swapped to this format, wasn't the rule actually that you had to wait for the ball to land before pitching the next one? I remember them being a bit "flexible" with that but I guess they got rid of that ages ago.

That's here too. We all let bryce harper break that rule so he could show us his stars and stripes socks, last year.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

Lol Alonso's pitcher is gonna gently caress him over

lmao it's true

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
Dude's throwing sinkers low like he's Tim Hudson

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Goddamnit Morgan, throw some loving meatballs for my boy!

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
lol this dude throwing nothing but splitters to alonso

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Squall posted:

Yeah, its gone this year and replaced with a pitcher clock. You see the effect. They're pitching before the HR lands and its impossible to follow both.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Alonso failing to get 13 dingers because he picked his cousin to throw BP and he can't put one over the plate feels pretty Mets

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

LOL literally out of the park.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

i'm dying

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

You’d think with the million dollar prize on the line these guys would get past the sentimental dad/bro/cousin pitching badly to them and pick someone good at throwing BP

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

that Acuna spray was exactly what I expected from him lol, even if he doesn't end up winning it all that was something you almost never see

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Sydin posted:

Does anybody actually make purchasing decisions even partly influenced by TV ads anymore?

They do even if they don’t realize it and there’s a 99% chance that includes you too.

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller
the mets

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Didn't think Santana would advance but suddenly prime Brandon Webb is throwing to Alonso

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Well he got the bonus so he's got this easy.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

one of these kids is gonna get blinders going for a pop out and get drilled by a line drive

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Epic High Five posted:

that Acuna spray was exactly what I expected from him lol, even if he doesn't end up winning it all that was something you almost never see

real talk that spray chart is what has wowed me the most so far, tonight.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

This just feels like a bad HR derby stadium. There's nothing fun to aim for and Alonso is the first guy nailing that open CF alley.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Sydin posted:

Alonso failing to get 13 dingers because he picked his cousin to throw BP and he can't put one over the plate feels pretty Mets

So loving Mets. He's hitting some of the longest loving home runs in the Derby and he's gonna get 10 because he only got 7 pitches across the plate.

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller
lol i think the catcher tried to frame that last pitch

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

can someone gif that acuna spray chart

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Honestly I should've looked up who's bringing their faildad to pitch when making picks for the bracket challenge, that seems to be the most important info here.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Who the gently caress goes out and throws side arm batting practice

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

They do even if they don’t realize it and there’s a 99% chance that includes you too.

Probably, I'm just jaded because I watch zero actual TV besides baseball, and most MLB.tv broadcasts are either the same six commercials repeated forever, a "commercial break in progress" screen, or a plate of outback being passed back and forth.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Zigmidge posted:

real talk that spray chart is what has wowed me the most so far, tonight.

being able to watch him every day since last year, and for the next 8 years, is just so incredible

dude's amazing at the plate, especially since post-ASB last year when he went on a dinger spree and suddenly became one of the most patient hitters in the league

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy

STAC Goat posted:

This just feels like a bad HR derby stadium. There's nothing fun to aim for and Alonso is the first guy nailing that open CF alley.

Just realized that in 2021 theyre gonna have to rope off the chop house in right because its gonna get hit like Fallujah

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
these are some gnarly sinkers

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Epic High Five posted:

one of these kids is gonna get blinders going for a pop out and get drilled by a line drive
this is exactly why they aren’t supposed to pitch until the previous ball has landed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
i was actually thinking Alonso would win this thing even though i want other guys to do it, but :mets: