Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit
i've started using galaxy more, and the upcoming beta means i'll probably be all up in that more often. anyone want to be frens? i'm squareking or spiderwisdom, depending on whether gog changes it to the latter in the next few days.

spider wisdom fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jun 29, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Good idea, a GOON GOG friend list! I think I’m the same name there as I am here. If not, then it’s tied to my old yahoo email: ripper66_99@yahoo.com

Hidden Asbestos
Nov 24, 2003
[placeholder]
One kinda neat thing about 'friends' in Galaxy (current version) is that it populates a time played list for all these people under the game launch button. Lets you know if something might be a massive time sink, or if no-one plays it. Passively social.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Hidden Asbestos posted:

One kinda neat thing about 'friends' in Galaxy (current version) is that it populates a time played list for all these people under the game launch button. Lets you know if something might be a massive time sink, or if no-one plays it. Passively social.

"Huh. My friends only play Hunie-pop for 5 minutes at a time."

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I’m not on the beta or use galaxy a helluva lot but I’m doctorfrog on GOG.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

I got my invite for 2.0 yesterday. Connected to a bunch of services without a problem. Launched Watch Dogs 2, which I've bought on Epic and it also uses Uplay, worked like a charm. Though, since I'm connected to both Epic and Uplay, two instances of the game show up in my library. Upon importing they had the same amount of time played but it seems the "Uplay version" now takes precedent, even if I launch the "Epic version". I assume the same would be true for achievements. Also, both Uplay and Epic are booted up if I launch the game. There are options for turning other launchers off when you quit a game, but so far they are greyed out "coming soon".

I like how you can compare your time played and achievements unlocked to your friends and the average for all players. Although I'm not sure what the average is based on, seems pretty low (or, more likely, the average player never comes close to finishing most games)?

Anyway, I'll keep using 2.0 and experiment some more with launching games. Will be interesting to see where they manage to take it.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

I like how you can compare your time played and achievements unlocked to your friends and the average for all players. Although I'm not sure what the average is based on, seems pretty low (or, more likely, the average player never comes close to finishing most games)?

Between gifts, bundles, and impulsive consumerism, there's a lot of people who have games that they never really intend on playing. Sometimes games give you an achievement immediately when you start your first game, and then you see only 40% of players got it.

Another thing to keep in mind is that a lot of games don't tally achievements at all if you're offline. Some games do, others don't. And even if they do unlock achievements when offline, your online profile will only be updated the next time you go online, obviously. I generally keep Steam offline for playing, only turning it online for when I want to download something and so that's something I've noticed. I personally don't care much about unlocking achievements anyway; I don't need them to tell me whether I have fun or not.

I also don't care about the bragging side of it, sorry kid.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Let's not forget GOG has a feature dedicated to occasionally getting copies of games you own on Steam. It's nice to have a second copy of the Saint's Row games and pretty much Double Fine's entire catalogue, but I already exhausted their content. They appear in my GOG library, but I'll never even download them.

Edit: And in Steam's case they originally didn't track the amount of time you spent on a game. There are also games that didn't have achievements at launch, they were added in an update. For example: Half-Life 2: Episode Two had achievements at launch and 92.8% has unlocked the first achievement. Half-Life 2 on PC didn't have achievements until 2010 and 63.9% have the first achievement (which is pretty high for an "old" game).

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Jul 3, 2019

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I was a dumbarse and, when Connect came out, I genuinely thought that, eventually, all GOG games also on Steam would be freely given. I am an imbecile.

I bought myself a slightly early birthday present in the form of the Bard's Tale Trilogy Remastered, which is on sale now if anyone is interested.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I wish I used gog connect when they did stellaris, but it appears to no longer be possible?

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

double nine posted:

I wish I used gog connect when they did stellaris, but it appears to no longer be possible?
They're nearly always one-time-only things.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

I don't remember what was the last title on Connect, but I do remember it was like three months ago and there were a ton of issues redeeming it, and I think most (if not everyone) didn't get it. And then they pulled it out, people thought they would fix it, but nada. Nothing since. Neither that game nor any other game for that matter. I hope that service isn't gone, but if it is, that was a weird note to go out on.

Halibut Barn
May 30, 2005

help
I think Stellaris was only up on Connect very briefly since they couldn't separate actual owners from people who'd played it in a recent free weekend, so they quickly withdrew it.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Ah, right, that's the one. So, it wasn't a redeeming issue. Even so, hope there will be more games at some point. I imagine their budget is super tight currently after their last earnings report showing them making very little profit due to recent investments and free games are probably the first thing on the chopping block.

But man, getting a DRM-free backup copy of so many games over the last... two years(?) has been amazing.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Since I buy or get more games than I have time to play, I keep a spreadsheet, like an idiot king in his counting house. I don't differentiate GOG Connect games from giveaways or other times I've gotten free codes, but I've gotten 84 free games out of GOG in the last eleven years, averaging over 7 games a year, peaking in 2016, when I got 18 free games. I think a lot of those were through GOG Connect.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

doctorfrog posted:

Since I buy or get more games than I have time to play, I keep a spreadsheet, like an idiot king in his counting house. I don't differentiate GOG Connect games from giveaways or other times I've gotten free codes, but I've gotten 84 free games out of GOG in the last eleven years, averaging over 7 games a year, peaking in 2016, when I got 18 free games. I think a lot of those were through GOG Connect.

That's kind of incredible. I don't know if there is a full Connect list somewhere, but the only one I ever received was Starbound. Mostly, I already had the games by the time they came available.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Is there a way to see your purchase history like in Steam?

I have 180 games on GOG and I'm pretty sure I've payed for maybe 40 of those. The numbers are somewhat misleading since some games give you several versions and some come in huge packs.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Privacy and settings > orders and settings > order history. Games that have a crossed out regular price with 0.00 next to them are GOG Connect games. Games that are just listed as 0.00 are giveaways.
Edit: Actually, that is not a reliable method, since I'm sure I didn't get the Realms of Arkania games through GOG Connect. It seems they've credited "free" games in multiple ways throughout the years. One way to tell they're GOG Connect games is if you received multiple of them at the same time. For example: I got 13 different games on June 6 2017.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Jul 4, 2019

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
Door behavior is part of the true to life simulation experience.

Doors attack people all the time. They are sinister, clearly plotting the demise of the human kind, while innocently swinging open and shut and then open again.

It's about time a video game spoke out about this issue.
PC Gaming saves lives.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Mierenneuker posted:

Privacy and settings > orders and settings > order history. Games that have a crossed out regular price with 0.00 next to them are GOG Connect games. Games that are just listed as 0.00 are giveaways.
Edit: Actually, that is not a reliable method, since I'm sure I didn't get the Realms of Arkania games through GOG Connect. It seems they've credited "free" games in multiple ways throughout the years. One way to tell they're GOG Connect games is if you received multiple of them at the same time. For example: I got 13 different games on June 6 2017.

Last four years I've gotten 85 free games (mostly through Connect) and bought three games (total value 7.77€) :v:

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Kennel posted:

Last four years I've gotten 85 free games (mostly through Connect) and bought three games (total value 7.77€) :v:

Yeah, I’ve noticed a big change in my spending behavior between the time it still was all dollars and after it switched to euros. Probably for the best, because I still haven’t bothered with some of these games. I didn’t even remember I owned Total Annihilation until an hour ago.

AbstractNapper posted:

Door behavior is part of the true to life simulation experience.

Doors attack people all the time. They are sinister, clearly plotting the demise of the human kind, while innocently swinging open and shut and then open again.

It's about time a video game spoke out about this issue.
PC Gaming saves lives.

Ah, you’ve played Gunpoint as well?

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Jul 4, 2019

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
lol, my fault. A case of two many open tabs.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Well I don't feel as bad now. I spent $33.43 on games between now and June 17th, 2018.

Giant stack of free games via Connect also, but at least I did give them some money.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
I received my Galaxy 2.0 invitation about half an hour ago. It was probably part of a scheduled wave of invites, but I had just thought "When the heck am I going to get in?" and visited GOG's site like five minutes beforehand so :tinfoil:

First impressions are very positive. I like the look and feel of the client (aside from the awkwardly placed close/minimize buttons) and the integration process was easy. I'm hoping there will eventually be a way to sort everything by release date, though I can see how that might be a pain in the rear end.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
I think my top feature request would be for it to merge listings for duplicate games owned on multiple services. I have 3 listings for SOMA because I bought it through Steam but also got free copies through GOG Connect and PS+

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

macnbc posted:

I think my top feature request would be for it to merge listings for duplicate games owned on multiple services. I have 3 listings for SOMA because I bought it through Steam but also got free copies through GOG Connect and PS+

They've at least acknowledged this as a known issue.

My top feature request, just like in 1.0, is to enable using mouse buttons to go back and forth between pages. :sigh:

Regarding sorting by release date, I think the idea is to build a wiki-like giant database with every game ever made that pulls in meta data from multiple sources and let's you sort and filter as you like. So even if you import an old game installed from CD, you would get a small presentation with description, screens and news.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I just hide the dupes in Playnite manually and it works fine. As long as GOG works generally the same it’ll work out fine.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

chaosapiant posted:

I just hide the dupes in Playnite manually and it works fine. As long as GOG works generally the same it’ll work out fine.

There’s an option in Galaxy 2.0 to hide games manually but it’s not functional yet.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
I just wanted to mention that the version of Mafia III with all of the DLC is on sale for $12 USD, which is the lowest that I have ever seen it.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Don't but it, it's a trap. Horribly repetitive game, the only good thing about it are the cutscenes.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

JustJeff88 posted:

I bought myself a slightly early birthday present in the form of the Bard's Tale Trilogy Remastered, which is on sale now if anyone is interested.

Happy birthday for whenever :) Is the gameplay changed at all or is it just a graphics reskin? I remember hearing that 3 is a real grind

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Happy birthday for whenever :) Is the gameplay changed at all or is it just a graphics reskin? I remember hearing that 3 is a real grind

I haven't had the chance to do much with it, but there are a lot of quality of life improvements along with more modern graphics. There is a "Legacy Mode" for people who hate themselves, so everyone wins I suppose?

Someone else could probably say more.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
I received a beta invite this morning, installed it and linked up all of my accounts apart from XBox Live which I do not use. I was very surprised to see PSN included, but not dismayed. I have to say, this is quite impressive. That said, it also showed me what a ridiculous number of games I own.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
I also got 2.0 invite this morning around 3am local. Aaaaand... now I'm ashamed of how many games I've picked up over the years.

Not that it matters, but I can't get PSN to connect. It's just a spinning animation while it times out over and over.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Andrigaar posted:

I also got 2.0 invite this morning around 3am local. Aaaaand... now I'm ashamed of how many games I've picked up over the years.

I was long before this and have made a tentative peace with it, and I can basically guarantee that I have even more games than you. I'm not bragging - quite the opposite - I'm just showing that no matter how bad one things he is, it can get worse.

I am mildly curious as to how many games I own on both Steam and GOG, though. I feel like a moron for thinking that Connect would eventually be universal.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

macnbc posted:

There’s an option in Galaxy 2.0 to hide games manually but it’s not functional yet.

Mine works. My achievements and playtime isn't working though.

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

Yeah, I got an invite earlier this week and haven't had time to look at it until today and am impressed despite it being very clearly an early beta. I love some simple poo poo like being able to rename your games so Splinter Cell could just be labeled as Splinter Cell and not Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell, same with Sid Meier games, getting rid of trademarks in titles or just being able to rename japanese games like RESIDENT EVIL 2 BIOHOZARD/BIOHAZARD RE:2 to just Resident Evil 2. No longer do I have to click on Morrowind and have it displayed as Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind GOTY, The.

Like that you can change the icon, box art and backgrounds for games. Like that you can just right-click once and find dev/publisher/release date super quickly. It looks sleek.

On the downside, there is a lot of stuff from galaxy 1.2 that's not functional yet and tags didn't carry over.

All in all, I really like it so far.

Sivek fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jul 25, 2019

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

JustJeff88 posted:

I was long before this and have made a tentative peace with it, and I can basically guarantee that I have even more games than you. I'm not bragging - quite the opposite - I'm just showing that no matter how bad one things he is, it can get worse.

I am mildly curious as to how many games I own on both Steam and GOG, though. I feel like a moron for thinking that Connect would eventually be universal.

I mean you might, but I collected bundle trash for years (which you probably did too). The only reason I say this again is that now they're ALL in front of me with large icons by default and it's going to be even worse if PSN connects and it shows me all the Vita/PSP games I'll never play before I die.

So while I too am at peace, seeing them listed together was just another blow to my previous spending habits.

On a totally unrelated note, I've been gaming less and reading more lately. Yup, totally unrelated.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Andrigaar posted:

On a totally unrelated note, I've been gaming less and reading more lately. Yup, totally unrelated.

Same here... all I seem to want to do lately is read and listen to Game Grumps. It says something about me that I would rather listen to a couple of goofy guys play games than play them myself. However, I have been playing "Organ Trail" again recently, which is basically an 80's classic meets zombie apocalypse. If anyone out there doesn't mind adding another game to their library, I warmly recommend it.

Sivek posted:

Yeah, I got an invite earlier this week and haven't had time to look at it until today and am impressed despite it being very clearly an early beta. I love some simple poo poo like being able to rename your games so Splinter Cell could just be labeled as Splinter Cell and not Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell, same with Sid Meier games, getting rid of trademarks in titles or just being able to rename japanese games like RESIDENT EVIL 2 BIOHOZARD/BIOHAZARD RE:2 to just Resident Evil 2. No longer do I have to click on Morrowind and have it displayed as Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind GOTY, The.

Like that you can change the icon, box art and backgrounds for games. Like that you can just right-click once and find dev/publisher/release date super quickly. It looks sleek.

On the downside, there is a lot of stuff from galaxy 1.2 that's not functional yet and tags didn't carry over.

All in all, I really like it so far.

As impressed as I am with it, I thought that it would be separate from the original Galaxy and I'm kind of put off that it essentially replaces it. Naïve on my part, perhaps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I've watched slowbeef's and Diabetsus' Wrongpurae several times but I'm wondering if I should actually buy Harvester and experience it for myself. What do you all think? Is there value in playing it even though I know the ending and stuff?

I'm really torn on the game in general...
Art Curator: That's always the dilemma, sir. What are the boundaries of art? Only you can know that and only for yourself.
Diabetus: You'll need to be in a much better game.
slowbeef: That's a giant pacifier I'm seeing in the foreground, right?
Diabetus: Yes.
slowbeef: I like it because it makes the viewer question "what is truly art?" And..the answer is "not Harvester."

I really am conflicted on if Harvester is a bold piece of art or an edgy piece of poo poo.

Is Harvester a bold piece of art or an edgy piece of poo poo?

On the one hand, Harvester's commentary is entirely self-indulgent. It's a game for gamers to laugh at the idea that games make them violent. It does not say anything particularly new or interesting. Transgressive humor is good when used sparingly but I think some stuff like the gay firemen is just them piling it on way too thick. On the other hand, it did try to do something very different, especially for the time. I certainly can't think of any other video games from back then that was so unapologetically non-commercial. If anybody who made this game did it for the money, they are beyond clueless. And while the messages themselves are stale and unoriginal, the presentation is very distinct. I vividly remember my first time through that I did desperately want an explanation for what the hell was going on. And I was perfectly satisfied with the ending explanation which is a rare treat.

Harvester created a lot of very memorable characters and situations and I mean that in the most neutral sense imaginable. Not memorably good or bad, just memorable period. It's something I can come back and revisit and never grow tired of. It almost makes me dislike the ending because everyone I loved (and hated) wasn't real. The Lodge and all its insanity also gets swept aside.

At the end of the day I'm just sad we'll probably never get a game like this again anytime in the foreseeable future. With a decent budget and more talented actors, it could be truly great.