Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

ufarn posted:

"Leaked slides" and spec sheets are the most popular form of fake trolling so take it with a grain of salt.

We'll know it's real when Wccftech throw their watermark on it.

Having the prices as 499$ seems suspect, that sounds like something made up by a foreign language user who doesn't understand english number conventions.

But overall that's about the magnitude of cuts that needs to take place. Remember that 10-series won't just be going up against Zen2, it'll be going up against Zen3 next year too. Said this a few weeks ago before Zen2 launched.

Paul MaudDib posted:

They could respond with price cuts in the meantime, but they'd need to be really deep to stay competitive. AMD is offering 12C at $500, Intel would need to offer the upcoming Comet Lake 10C at like $400, $450 tops, to stay competitive. That doesn't fit neatly into the i7/i9 pricing scheme but roughly something like 10C = i7. I guess that leaves i3=6C12T and i5=8C16T. Sounds extreme but that's basically what AMD is offering and Intel either follows or gets left behind.

Yeah, "muh margins", but that ship has sailed now that AMD is shipping a 12C at the same price point as their 8C, they either cut prices or they let AMD take marketshare. That's just the reality of the market, AMD blew up those price points and Intel doesn't have the per-core performance lead to power through it anymore. And again, it's only going to get worse with Zen3, AMD isn't going to get slower or even sit still.

Intel did big price improvements before with the 8700K, it's time to do it again.

iospace posted:

Biggest sign it's faked?

No PCIe4 support

This would be just yet another Skylake respin with more cores, so probably no PCIe 4.0.

The big question is when they are going to nut up and backport some of their 10nm uarch improvements onto 14nm, because they aren't going to be putting out high-clocked 10nm desktop chips anytime soon and AMD is probably going to be fully on par next year with Zen3. Again, I know it's not easy but they either port it or they let AMD move into the outright halo spot.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jul 10, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
between users :roboluv:
I am the "Products formerly called Comet Lake"

*edit*
more leaked slides:

Sormus fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jul 10, 2019

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Sormus posted:

I am the "Products formerly called Comet Lake"

Surprisingly that's terminology that Intel actually uses internally, although it's still suspect because they don't typically do that until after something from that code name family hits retail. (And IIRC they use "formerly known as" rather than "formerly called".)

Anyway it's less of a red flag than "14+++ nm," even if it's still pretty red.

Edit: it's just "Products formerly <codename>", no "called" or "known as" at all

Edit 2: the chart actually has it right lol

Theris fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Jul 11, 2019

eames
May 9, 2009

Paul MaudDib posted:

The big question is when they are going to nut up and backport some of their 10nm uarch improvements onto 14nm, because they aren't going to be putting out high-clocked 10nm desktop chips anytime soon and AMD is probably going to be fully on par next year with Zen3. Again, I know it's not easy but they either port it or they let AMD move into the outright halo spot.

Yeah, this. It was discussed two years ago that desktop singlecore performance improvements would stagnate while the new process catches up to the highly refined old one. Perhaps Intel was just going to have more updates like the 6700k -> 7700k due to a lack of competition but that may not work out as well as they hoped. :v:

To be fair 14nm isn't as limited by heat density on the Desktop and if they can somehow ride the old Skylake horse all the way to 10C 5.5 GHz they'll still be very competitive in some segments.

It's also worth remembering that Zen 2 was the last design that Keller was officially involved in and he's now working at Intel.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Sormus posted:

*edit*
more leaked slides:

Boffa deez cores.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

My processor keeps throwing sugma faults

Khorne
May 1, 2002

eames posted:

It's also worth remembering that Zen 2 was the last design that Keller was officially involved in and he's now working at Intel.
Most of the Zen engineering work wasn't done directly by Keller, though.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Jul 11, 2019

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

My processor keeps throwing sugma faults

You need to download the latest Ligma binaries, they address the Sugma faulting issue, as well as mitigations for the Boffa Deez family of CPU vulnerabilities.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I blame those new Sugandese fabs that Intel spun up to increase 14nm capacity.

eames
May 9, 2009

https://hk.xfastest.com/31780/comet-lake-is-not-lga-1159-it-should-be-more/

another set of Comet Lake slides from very questionable sources show Q1/20, 125W, LGA1200. No sign of 9900KS on that roadmap.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I think the one thing that is believable is Intel is going to slash prices, but they'll offset the price cut by requiring a new chipset.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

eames posted:

https://hk.xfastest.com/31780/comet-lake-is-not-lga-1159-it-should-be-more/

another set of Comet Lake slides from very questionable sources show Q1/20, 125W, LGA1200. No sign of 9900KS on that roadmap.

goin fake on this one too tbh

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
Steve from GamersNexus confirms it's fake:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxONVPzMl0c

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Yeah, I don't see Intel skipping PCIe4 in the consumer segment, at all. It would severely hurt them in the enthusiast market, and they do not have 3 years to try and hold on to it by waiting till v5 comes out, since the new AMD GPUs are v4 and you know the next gen for nvidia will be as well.

Peechka
Nov 10, 2005
Im kind of happy I did not buy into the AMD hype a few months ago. I settled on an i5 9600K which I have @ 4.8ghz and could not be happier for what I do which is mostly play games and surf. If I was streamer though or some type of content creator, the new AMD poo poo is a no brainer though. But I think the six core will be more than enough for the next few years and games (At least I hope so) Since the new consoles are all 8 cores but 2 of those cores are for the OS? At least thats what Ive been told.

Otakufag
Aug 23, 2004

Peechka posted:

Im kind of happy I did not buy into the AMD hype a few months ago. I settled on an i5 9600K which I have @ 4.8ghz and could not be happier for what I do which is mostly play games and surf. If I was streamer though or some type of content creator, the new AMD poo poo is a no brainer though. But I think the six core will be more than enough for the next few years and games (At least I hope so) Since the new consoles are all 8 cores but 2 of those cores are for the OS? At least thats what Ive been told.

I'm still trying to decide between 9600k, 9700k and ryzen 3600. Haven't upgraded cpu since 2011 and only game, nothing more. Have gsync 144hz monitor and gtx 1070, please help me decide.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
What resolution are you trying to run? I've got a ryzen 3600 and a 1070 running at 1440p 144hz. In Hitman 2, my 1070 definitely holds me back and my CPU runs at less than 50%.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I have a 5820K and 6 cores are cool, but I'm running into more situations where I'd like 8 cores. I think I'm going to buy a 5960x in another year. If I was buying something now I'd definitely go for 8 cores.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!

Otakufag posted:

I'm still trying to decide between 9600k, 9700k and ryzen 3600. Haven't upgraded cpu since 2011 and only game, nothing more. Have gsync 144hz monitor and gtx 1070, please help me decide.

If you can stomach the price difference I would grab the 9700k over the 3600 if you are mostly gaming. The 9700k is faster than the 3600 overall and and is very close to equal to the 9900k in a lot of titles.

GamersNexus has commented that they been seeing some microstutter and framepacing issues with the 9600k they don’t see with the 3600, 9700k, etc. I don’t think the 8600k/9600k is going to age very well compared the other options.

With all that said the 3600 would still be a great cpu to pair with the 1070 but the 9700k is slightly faster if you’re ok spending the extra money for it and a cooler.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Games are already supporting six cores, and whether you believe that eight-core consoles will change game development or not, two more cores for running basic stuff in the background without hitting your game performance is pretty neat.

As for streaming, you can also compensate by getting a higher tier of Pascal/Turing GPU which you can hold on to across several upgrades. Assuming it’s not some weird GPU bottleneck like Apex Legends.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

craig588 posted:

I have a 5820K and 6 cores are cool, but I'm running into more situations where I'd like 8 cores. I think I'm going to buy a 5960x in another year. If I was buying something now I'd definitely go for 8 cores.

My E5-1660 feels that was sometime. I keep mulling around the idea of getting a 1680 V2 for X79 8 cores to keep it going a few years longer. Now that I got my cooling situation fixed I can get it back to where it should be at 4.6Ghz.

Clocks also make a noticeable difference. 4.2Ghz is nice over stock, but 4.6Ghz is a measurable performance boost that brings X79 closer to current 6 core performance. I would assume X99 chips could get close as well but be careful. A friend of mine did build an 8Core X99 setup but is pretty limited to an all core OC of only 4.0Ghz (4.2 if he really pushes it) and is slightly CPU limited in some of his task so take that into consideration.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
That's something else I could pursue. I run it at 4.3 GHz because that keeps it below 70C. When I'm ready to buy a new processor I'll try moving it to 4.7 GHz which seems stable but hits 90C.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Depends on your VCore needs, but I have to recommend the H100i PRO I just picked up to replace a Refurb H115i I had that just wasn't quite as good as expected even before it developed a bad air bubble issue. Its also better and quieter than my original H100 ever was. Hold my 1660V1 at 4.2Ghz 1.32vcore at low to mid 60C. Going to push it back up to 4.6Ghz at 1.35vcore and should be able to keep it within the 70C range.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I have a Noctua D15. I have a H100i too but it's much louder than the D15. My goal is silence if I let the fans speed up it could be cooler but then it wouldn't be silent anymore.

Otakufag
Aug 23, 2004
The 9700 is 463 US dollars and the 9700k is 508 US dollars in my country. Do you think it would be wise to get the locked one? It also comes with a lovely free cooler. Use would be only high refresh gaming at 1080p. Ryzen 3600 is 293 US dollars for comparison.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Peechka posted:

Since the new consoles are all 8 cores but 2 of those cores are for the OS? At least thats what Ive been told.

Current 'new' consoles that use the old Jaguar CPU's are set up like that but future Xbx and PS5 might not be. I don't think anyone really knows yet.

Also this deserves some consideration too:

ufarn posted:

Games are already supporting six cores, and whether you believe that eight-core consoles will change game development or not, two more cores for running basic stuff in the background without hitting your game performance is pretty neat.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

craig588 posted:

I have a Noctua D15. I have a H100i too but it's much louder than the D15. My goal is silence if I let the fans speed up it could be cooler but then it wouldn't be silent anymore.

Yep I understand that. At 4.2Ghz the fans only slightly spin up but everything stays pretty quiet relative to my previous coolers. At 4.6Ghz tonight, they ramp up a hair more, but the chip stays below 70C and is still quieter than its ever been.

The H100i has like 3-4 versions. The latest "Pro" with the Mag Lev fans are supposed to be a lot quieter than previous ones, and I can vouch for that. I do hear a lot of good about the D15 but if you can't keep it below 90C then I guess it's the trade-off of speed vs sound.

ufarn posted:

I will also 2nd this. As an early X79 adopter for 6 cores when 4 cores was still pretty new and pretty much the consumer standard for 6 gens after, having 2 extra cores to do other things when gaming or doing anything CPU demanding really was noticable. Multitasking as long as you also had enough free RAM was a piece of cake and even after all this time, continues to still be pretty impressive.

I really want to build a new rig, but when this thing is running as good as it is, it's really hard to justify it just yet.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Otakufag posted:

The 9700 is 463 US dollars and the 9700k is 508 US dollars in my country. Do you think it would be wise to get the locked one? It also comes with a lovely free cooler. Use would be only high refresh gaming at 1080p. Ryzen 3600 is 293 US dollars for comparison.

I was thinking about this, with MCE you'd only need a slight BCLK change to hit the same speeds as unlocked processors and motherboard's auto settings regularly go to 103 MHz.

The Ryzen 3600 is only 6 cores while the Intel 9700 is 8. If they were both 8 Ryzen would be the no question winner. Is a used AMD 2700 an option? 8 cores and you're not really missing out on anything.

craig588 fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Jul 18, 2019

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

craig588 posted:

That's something else I could pursue. I run it at 4.3 GHz because that keeps it below 70C. When I'm ready to buy a new processor I'll try moving it to 4.7 GHz which seems stable but hits 90C.

I've got my 5820k at 4.5 on the wonky version of the D15 because it's in a matx build, I don't think I see above 70C unless I do stress tests. Only thing I can't get working is the XMP profile for my memory, if I turn it on I seem to lose the ability to run any sort of OC on the cpu so my memory is stuck at 2400mhz. Every time I look at ram oc it confuses the hell out of me and video tutorials just seem to be slamming in settings arbitrarily without explaining what everything does.

I was looking at the new ryzen stuff but yeah it looks like I'll just buy a second hand 5960x instead, it's a shame the broadwell-e stuff doesn't overclock as well as I'd much prefer to move to a slightly newer platform at least.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I manually keyed in the major XMP settings because I had a similar problem. I have it running at 2666-14 at 1.35 V now. All of the minor timings are left alone or on auto.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
I might have to try that, what setting are you increasing the voltage on?

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
On my Asus X99 they call it DRAM voltage.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

craig588 posted:

On my Asus X99 they call it DRAM voltage.

Cool should be the same on my board then, maybe I can finally get my ram to run at 3200mhz!

Threadkiller Dog
Jun 9, 2010
Had been planning on a 3700x system but surprisingly found a 9900k for cheap [ish]. Its for gaming anyway so oh well. Whats an intel for a couple more years...

Also im putting it on an itx board so it will turn into the most powerful little downclocked htpc cpu when i evetually retire it :3

Frankly though, the whole zen 2 MB and bios mess bothered me more than i thought it would. Im certainly not early adopter material.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Threadkiller Dog posted:

Had been planning on a 3700x system but surprisingly found a 9900k for cheap [ish]. Its for gaming anyway so oh well. Whats an intel for a couple more years...

Also im putting it on an itx board so it will turn into the most powerful little downclocked htpc cpu when i evetually retire it :3

Frankly though, the whole zen 2 MB and bios mess bothered me more than i thought it would. Im certainly not early adopter material.

I can agree with the bios mess part - msi's making a smart move by re-releasing boards up and down the stack with new bioses and larger bios flash chips.. it'll help a lot when choosing boards

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

craig588 posted:

E5-1660v3s are unlocked and are down to about $215 on eBay.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Good to know. I'm not really in a price limited situation more I'm waiting for more stuff to use 8 cores so it's actually an upgrade and not just shuffling parts around.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Paul MaudDib posted:

E5-1660v3s are unlocked and are down to about $215 on eBay.

How does one figure out which xeons are unlocked?

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Serve The Home has a good list https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/xeons-with-an-open-multiplier.15983/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

mewse posted:

How does one figure out which xeons are unlocked?

https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/xeons-with-an-open-multiplier.15983/

Basically 1650, 1660, and 1680 v1, v2, and v3s, plus 1620 v1 and v2, plus a smattering of the old Nehalems/Westmeres. I think some of the X56xx chips are unlocked too.

Intel actually didn't use to care about unlocked multipliers if you were shelling out for a pretty high-end Xeon already, most of the high-end stuff had it unlocked back in the nehalem/westmere days. They kept that going into the E5 series, as long as there was an equivalent unlocked desktop processor they didn't lock the Xeon either, then finally they killed it in Broadwell.

Once server farms start upgrading en masse there is going to be a massive flood of 1600v3 chips, the 1660v3 already isn't a half bad deal at $215 but they are probably going to tank down to $50-100 like the Sandy Bridge-E chips did. Especially because of spectre/meltdown, it affects the server guys a lot more heavily than it affects gamers so that's a good opportunity to pick up some chips on the cheap.

Boards are the bigger problem these days. EVGA dumped a bunch of new-old-stock X99 FTW K's with retail warranty for $100 each maybe 6 months ago, which was a fairly solid deal, other than that it's trolling ebay for someone's used board, which kinda sucks.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jul 19, 2019